PDA

View Full Version : Ted Cruz

PamK
08-20-2013, 02:55 PM
I am really surprised not to see any mention of this.

Ted Cruz has dual citizenship with Canada.
http://news.yahoo.com/sen-cruz-says-hell-renounce-canadian-citizenship-022951006.html

road kill
08-20-2013, 03:00 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/sen-cruz-says-hell-renounce-canadian-citizenship-022951006.html
What's your issue with it?

BonMallari
08-20-2013, 03:10 PM
I had dual citizenship,born in Germany @ US Army Hospital to parents who were naturalized citizens...I did not know that I even had dual citizenship until many years after...There is a distinct possibility that Senator Cruz no longer has dual citizenship because like me he did not declare having both within the alloted time

mngundog
08-20-2013, 07:29 PM

I agree, that is really surprising.

BonMallari
08-20-2013, 09:33 PM
I thought I would research the subject from a different source than Yahoo news and got this

"The Dallas Morning News says that I may technically have dual citizenship," he said in the statement Monday night. "Assuming that is true, then sure, I will renounce any Canadian citizenship. Nothing against Canada, but I'm an American by birth and as a U.S. Senator, I believe I should be only an American."

"Because my mother was a U.S. citizen, born in Delaware, I was a U.S. citizen by birth," Cruz explained in his statement Monday night. "When I was a kid, my Mom told me that I could choose to claim Canadian citizenship if I wanted. I got my U.S. passport in high school. Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57599400/ted-cruz-releases-his-birth-certificate-a-harbinger-of-debates-to-come/

zeus3925
08-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Where is the birther crowd now?

PamK
08-20-2013, 11:21 PM
At first I thought that it is possible he really didn't think about it because really for most people it really doesn't matter.

Being from Texas he should be very aware of how many women from Mexico come to areas that he represents to have their children on American soil so they have American citizenship, he speaks against the drain they place on hospitals and other resources in Texas.

Ted Cruz is not claiming that he didn't know he was born in Canada and as Bon so elegantly wrote about his dual citizenship, it is very common knowledge. Also Ted Cruz couldn't have missed the entire birther argument with President Obama. So either he thought no one would find out about it or he isn't as smart as he would like us to believe.

huntinman
08-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Where is the birther crowd now?

Come on Sarge, I think he actually produce a real birth certificate, signed that day at the birth... Unlike Obama's computer generated facsimile... That took 4 years to produce.

1tulip
08-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Of course he knew it would come up. Probably he didn't realize it would come up THREE YEARS AWAY FROM A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION for which he has not declared and wouldn't for many, many months.

But to be honest, Roger Hedgecock made the point that Cruz is "running" (if indeed he is) on restoring the Constitution. It would be weird for him to take the position that that whole "natural citizen" clause is a mere bagatelle.

Right now, Cruz has my vote and I hope this all gets shaken out before it gets too far out of hand.

PamK
08-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Come on Bill,
The major part of the birther argument was that President Obama wasn't born in the US, not what the certificate looked like.

Sarge,
While I don't know if Bill agrees with the birther argument or not you see that the shift will be away from what they said then to what they say now like the past didn't happen.

BonMallari
08-21-2013, 02:27 AM
At first I thought that it is possible he really didn't think about it because really for most people it really doesn't matter.

Being from Texas he should be very aware of how many women from Mexico come to areas that he represents to have their children on American soil so they have American citizenship, he speaks against the drain they place on hospitals and other resources in Texas.

Ted Cruz is not claiming that he didn't know he was born in Canada and as Bon so elegantly wrote about his dual citizenship, it is very common knowledge. Also Ted Cruz couldn't have missed the entire birther argument with President Obama. So either he thought no one would find out about it or he isn't as smart as he would like us to believe.

I didnt write the article, its a copy/paste from the DMN....but if you compare the wording from the Yahoo news and The DMN they paint a very different picture..Yahoo news is known to have a VERY LIBERAL slant on the news

personally I dont think that Cruz is eligible but that will be for a court to decide- both a Supreme one and a public opinion one...I dont want Ted Cruz to be the Republican BHO...two years ago no one heard or knew about Ted Cruz outside of the state of Texas his meteoric rise to the national spotlight makes me want to tap the breaks and say WHOA NELLIE what major legislation has he authored or co authored..He is a good orator, but so was BHO...I want more substance and less flash before I jump on this bandwagon

mngundog
08-21-2013, 07:37 AM
I can't imagine Cruz even making an attempt at an end run around the Constitution, by doing so would be an indictment on his character. If we throw out, or even challenge a passage that is so clearly worded, then surely we can throw out the First and Second Amendments with it, is this really a path we want a candidate to take? This isn't a challenge we want the courts to decide, this shows the heart and value of the candidate as well as his supporters.

road kill
08-21-2013, 07:42 AM
I can't imagine Cruz even making an attempt at an end run around the Constitution, by doing so would be an indictment on his character. If we throw out, or even challenge a passage that is so clearly worded, then surely we can throw out the First and Second Amendments with it, is this really a path we want a candidate to take? This isn't a challenge we want the courts to decide, this shows the heart and value of the candidate as well as his supporters.
Isn't your side doing that as we post??

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

mngundog
08-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Isn't your side doing that as we post??

HAHAHAHA!!!!!
No, I believe true Conservatives wouldn't sink to that level.

Henlee
08-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Since his father was Cuban, does that make him a Cuban citizen also?

Henlee
08-21-2013, 08:20 AM
I don't know where are the legal experts were when Obama was running, but if this guy was a democrat he would not be eligible to run.

Jim Danis
08-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Actually this has been in the news since last week about his dual citizenship. To his credit he produced his real birth certificate and has already came out and said he is renouncing his Canadian citizenship. No story here at all.

Henlee
08-21-2013, 08:30 AM
All his birth certificate proves is that he was born in Canada. If you believe the birthers and Obama was born in Kenya to an American mother then why is he not a citizen eligible to run, but Ted Cruz is?

Henlee
08-21-2013, 08:31 AM
I would like to see him produce his documentation to prove he is an American citizen.

huntinman
08-21-2013, 09:21 AM
I don't care about the birthers argument. My argument about Obama always has been that he maintains that he is the most transparent President in history, when the exact opposite is true. And the media is complicit in the ruse.

On one hand you have a man who was a sitting president for almost four years before in his words a "carnival barker" shamed him into putting out a form of his birth certificate.

On the other hand, you have a man (three years prior to the election, who has not even announced) already released his actual birth certificate. Comparable? Not really... One man is open and forthright... One is deceptive and slimy (and still president).

luvmylabs23139
08-21-2013, 10:51 AM

First of all he is a senator which requires one be a US citizen for 9 years before running for office, and clearly regardless of place of birth nobody questions that he meets the requirement.
As to the Mexicans jumping the border and then squating and plopping out their spawn for citizenship that is a stupid argument as he never attempted to claim Canadian citizenship as a result of being born in the country. Those Mexican border jumper sqaut and plops drain the system. They get WIC, foord stamps, edicaid etc for their spawn and steal from the taxpayers!!!! He has only ever held an American passport. He has never attempted to vote in a Canadian election etc.

luvmylabs23139
08-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I would like to see him produce his documentation to prove he is an American citizen.

He has an American passport. Honestly his birth certificate from Canada based on his year of birth is his proof. It states his mother is an American citizen. BY the way laws were actually different when Obama was born.

roseberry
08-21-2013, 10:58 AM
who cares if ted cruz runs for president? run a nice white guy out there who is willing to kill enough babies to capture two percent of moderate white females but not so many babies as to alienate the right and forget trying to sway minorities!

BLACK/BROWN PEOPLE AINT GONNA VOTE FOR ANY CANDIDATE WITH CONSERVATIVE POSITIONS!!!!!!!

Gerry Clinchy
08-21-2013, 11:20 AM
So either he thought no one would find out about it or he isn't as smart as he would like us to believe.
I have never heard there was any "concealment" of where Cruz was born. It has been an open fact.

It was his mother who was a US citizen, and his father who was a naturalized immigrant.

The scholars have indicated that because he did NOT require naturalization to be considered a citizen, he is a "natural born" citizen. He has released his "long form" birth certificate. He has also stated that he would have no problem in formally renouncing his Canadian citizenship. His dual citizenship is a result, it would appear, of Canada acknowledging the same as the US that anyone born in their country is automatically a citizen of that country.

The issue of Obama's citizenship has been that IF he were born in Kenya (as some Kenyans claim he was), his mother's citizenship (under the laws at the time) did not apply to him. Something about her needing to be resident of the US for "x" number of years AFTER reaching a certain age (18?). She would not have fulfilled that qualification. Hence, it was very important to establish that Obama was born in HI ... where he would automatically be a citizen regardless of his parents' citizenship status.

Truthfully, on that aspect of the Obama birther issue, I'd be thinking it doesn't matter. If that law was considered unreasonable (with regard to his mother, who was unquestionably a US citizen by her birthplace) & needed changing, then I wouldn't feel it makes a great deal of difference over the long haul. What I could find fault with is whether he tried to conceal the fact that he was born in Kenya. That, to me, could reveal the kind of character that feels entitled to ignore laws if they do not suit one's aspirations/purposes.

Actually, it is a good thing, IMHO, that the issue of Cruz's citizenship is out in the open & being clarified now. He may not be a POTUS candidate in 2016, but he is young enough to aspire to that in future elections.

PamK
08-21-2013, 01:54 PM
My point is that with all of the publicity about questioning President Obama, and Mr. Cruz's knowledge of women from Mexico coming to the US to give birth he should have known that he had dual citizenship. I've never indicated that he tried to hide anything.

If he didn't think about bring born in Canada, then he isn't as smart as he would like everyone to believe.

I do applaud his quick response but realty he should have thought about it before the Dallas Morning News.

huntinman
08-21-2013, 02:39 PM

Are you really that stupid? Have you followed the story at all?

Gerry Clinchy
08-21-2013, 02:51 PM
My point is that with all of the publicity about questioning President Obama, and Mr. Cruz's knowledge of women from Mexico coming to the US to give birth he should have known that he had dual citizenship. I've never indicated that he tried to hide anything.

If he didn't think about bring born in Canada, then he isn't as smart as he would like everyone to believe.

I do applaud his quick response but realty he should have thought about it before the Dallas Morning News.
He's pretty good on US laws, but since he left Canada when he was 4, he might not have been as sharp on Canada's laws? I don't know, but are there some countries who do NOT consider you a citizen simply because you were born on their soil?

I might take issue that there was not publicity about his being born on Canadian soil. It was covered quite a bit some months back. When the issue came up, it was quickly addressed, with consistent documentation, and seemed pretty much resolved by US law. It would never have been something to think about at all except for the high-profile that he has developed as a freshman Senator.

I believe that the roiling that took place over Obama's birth might have been due to those claims that he might have been born in Kenya (as some Kenyans still claim), and issues over inconsistencies in the first HI birth certificate published. It was, I think, a more complex set of circumstances than Cruz's situation.

Good that the Dallas paper found this now ... and he can renounce the Canadian citizenship to resolve any issue now.

huntinman
08-21-2013, 03:11 PM
It's really quite funny to see all the libs so worked up about this. They didn't think it was an important issue when Obama was already in office for several years and had never produced anything, not even a note from his third grade teacher. All we knew about him up to that point was that he was a member of the Choom Gang, didn't think it was important to wear an American Flag on his lapel... Till he was running for Pres... And saw that it was important to the voters... And that his wife hated America, till Americans finally pulled our heads out and nominated her hubby for President... Then she kinda liked us. If we ate what she told us to.

Henry V
08-21-2013, 09:46 PM
This stuff is great. Ted Cruz was born in Canada but, without a beat, the right wingers defend him as a "natural born" citizen because his mother was a US citizen (a convinient interpretation of the constitution). On the other hand, the right wingers have posted many things on multiple threads, including this one, to perpetuate the myth trumped up by the right wing entertainment complex that the President was born in Kenya. The hypocrisy is par for the course but still amazing.

All I can say is go Ted Cruz and go Rand Paul. Their continued and sustained rise to prominence will help ensure the further demise of the Republican party. It is great to see them making speeches on TV every day possible.

Bill, you have stated that this thread shows "libs worked up" and that you find it funny. Have you noticed that this thread is the only thread among many hundreds that have been started here that do not present your point of view? Just think of the entertainment some people get by visiting this site and seeing the dozens of threads on Bengahzi, obamacare, impeachment, cell phones, and anything that can be regurgitated from the right wing media.

huntinman
08-21-2013, 11:03 PM
This stuff is great. Ted Cruz was born in Canada but, without a beat, the right wingers defend him as a "natural born" citizen because his mother was a US citizen (a convinient interpretation of the constitution). On the other hand, the right wingers have posted many things on multiple threads, including this one, to perpetuate the myth trumped up by the right wing entertainment complex that the President was born in Kenya. The hypocrisy is par for the course but still amazing.

All I can say is go Ted Cruz and go Rand Paul. Their continued and sustained rise to prominence will help ensure the further demise of the Republican party. It is great to see them making speeches on TV every day possible.

Bill, you have stated that this thread shows "libs worked up" and that you find it funny. Have you noticed that this thread is the only thread among many hundreds that have been started here that do not present your point of view? Just think of the entertainment some people get by visiting this site and seeing the dozens of threads on Bengahzi, obamacare, impeachment, cell phones, and anything that can be regurgitated from the right wing media.

Glad you are so easily entertained... We aim to please.

Gerry Clinchy
08-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Pam, looks like there's been quite a lot of publicity recently about Ted Cruz's citizenship.

Over the course of just two days, the Washington Postpounded its readers with 12 "birther" stories aimed at Texas Senator Ted Cruz. Headlines included, "Can Ted Cruz Run for President?", "Canadian Born Ted Cruz Releases Birth Certificate Amid Queries if He's Eligible for Presidential Run," "Ted Cruz: I am Not a Canadian," and "No, Ted Cruz 'Birthers' are Not the Same as Obama Birthers":
Henry, Cruz's citizenship is determined by the law at the time of his birth. IFObama had been born in Kenya, then the US law would have also determined his citizenship. Personally, I think the law in effect that might have kept Obama from being a citizen (if he had been born in Kenya) was a little bit dumb. Must have seemed so to others as well, since the law was changed.

If either mother had renounced their US citizenship prior to the birth of their sons, then maybe that would have been cause to say that a child born after such renouncement would not be a citizen.

Henlee
08-21-2013, 11:55 PM
These are the natural born laws that I was able to find.

The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

(a) a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;

(b) a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe: Provided, That the granting of citizenship under this subsection shall not in any manner impair or otherwise affect the right of such person to tribal or other property;

(c) a person born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents both of whom are citizens of the United States and one of whom has had a residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions, prior to the birth of such person;

(d) a person born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is a citizen of the United States who has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year prior to the birth of such person, and the other of whom is a national, but not a citizen of the United States;

(e) a person born in an outlying possession of the United States of parents one of whom is a citizen of the United States who has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year at any time prior to the birth of such person;

(f) a person of unknown parentage found in the United States while under the age of five years, until shown, prior to his attaining the age of twenty-one years, not to have been born in the United States;

(g) a person born outside the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than five years, at least two of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years: Provided, That any periods of honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States, or periods of employment with the United States Government or with an international organization as that term is defined in section 288 of title 22 by such citizen parent, or any periods during which such citizen parent is physically present abroad as the dependent unmarried son or daughter and a member of the household of a person
(A) honorably serving with the Armed Forces of the United States, or

(B) employed by the United States Government or an international organization as defined in section 288 of title 22, may be included in order to satisfy the physical-presence requirement of this paragraph. This proviso shall be applicable to persons born on or after December 24, 1952, to the same extent as if it had become effective in its present form on that date; and

(h) a person born before noon (Eastern Standard Time) May 24, 1934, outside the limits and jurisdiction of the United States of an alien father and a mother who is a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, had resided in the United States.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.

Henlee
08-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Because his family moved to Canada years prior to him being born, I do not believe he qualifies as a citizen. His birth certificate (which by the way was the short form on the Dallas Star website) was Canadian. It did not proclaim him as being a U.S. citizen at all. Back when he was in High School the requirements for getting an I.D. was to produce a proof of residence and not citizenship papers. That could be obtained by bringing in two pieces of junk mail. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad would be proof of U.S. Citizenship. His father was a Canadian citizen who studied in the U.S. on a green card and then became a Canadian Citizen. I am willing to bet that they did not plan on returning to the US and never applied for his citizenship or were told that they would not qualify because of the years they spent living in Canada before his birth. If not then why would he show a birth certificate proving he was a Canadian citizen rather than actual U.S. papers.

Henry V
08-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Gerry, all I know is that Cruz was born in a foreign country based on the birth certificate he provided. It remains to be seen if this fact makes him ineligible for the presidency based on a strict interpretation of the u.s. constitution.

zeus3925
08-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Gerry, all I know is that Cruz was born in a foreign country based on the birth certificate he provided. It remains to be seen if this fact makes him ineligible for the presidency based on a strict interpretation of the u.s. constitution.

Guess who now isn't for the strict interpretation of the constitution.
It may make him ineligible to vote, or hold office. In fact, he maybe an illegal alien -perish the thought!.

Uncle Bill
08-22-2013, 01:49 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...look at all the FOOLS coming out of the woodwork, claiming to KNOW all about these "birther' situations. After you allowed your inept messiah to ravage this nation with his gaggle of minions hell-bent on giving all you socialistic fools every handout your little hearts desire. BUT, should there be even a tinge of something similar as what your pathetic empty-suit-in-the-WH succeeded in doing, and you come bitching and moaning about how illegal this process is. What a batch of hopeless fools you all are, and you deserve exactly what this nation is becoming.

It just irks the hell out of me that all you mental midgets, welfarists, SFN clowns, OWS ignoramuses, all being led by the Democrat party that is only out to keep power by feeding these special interest groups everything big government can provide, so these fools will be obligated to continue to vote for their handouts and sustinence by keeping the Democrat/liberal/socialist corruption in office.

UB

Henry V
08-22-2013, 03:56 PM
UB, It irks me when people who think they are mental giants that live in states that receive $4,414 per capita more from the federal government each year in payments than they pay in, preach to others about being advocates for handouts.

Yep look at this socialism. Corporate profits at record highs, banks profits growing, unemployment down, stock market at record highs, housing industry on the rise, and worker wages stagnant while productivity has increased. Just as Lenin planned it. Socialism indeed.

Gerry Clinchy
08-23-2013, 12:01 AM
On Monday, Mr. Cruz — the child of an American mother and a Cuban-born father who moved to Texas from Canada when he was 4 — renounced his Canadian citizenship. “Nothing against Canada,” he said. But as a United States senator, he added, “I believe I should be only an American.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/21/us/politics/fueling-talk-of-a-2016-run-texas-senator-renounces-canadian-citizenship.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130822&_r=0

few legal scholars believe his eligibility could be seriously challenged in court.
Saw another article today indicating that Biden may challenge the "annointment" of Hillary as the D candidate for 2016. That would be an interesting primary campaign ... what would they debate?

Henlee
08-23-2013, 02:28 AM
Look, I want to give the guy a fair chance. If he will just produce his Consular Report of Birth Abroad, I am sure that it will clear up this whole mess. Of course if he won't then why not? What is he hiding? I think there are plenty of known cases of illegals living in this country for decades without getting caught. In fact his own father only became a citizen in 2005.

Henlee
08-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Biden was Obamas insurance policy from being assainated. I think Bidens support for shotgun ownership will not sit well with the base also. I got more jokes about Biden, but that ought to be on another thread.

Henlee
08-23-2013, 02:34 AM
If you do not think Ted Cruz's eligibility will not be challenged you may not understand American politics to well.

Gerry Clinchy
08-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Look, I want to give the guy a fair chance. If he will just produce his Consular Report of Birth Abroad, I am sure that it will clear up this whole mess. Of course if he won't then why not? What is he hiding? I think there are plenty of known cases of illegals living in this country for decades without getting caught. In fact his own father only became a citizen in 2005.
I'm in the dark on what the Consular Report is, and whether it would be something requested by Cruz ... or someone else. I'd guess that it would be one of those things that a parent wouldn't think of at the time .... imagining that this would be the kid who might grow up to be President.

If such a document can be acquired retroactively, then there should be no problem in doing so.

So far there has been no dispute about whether his SS # is his own; and issued in the state where he resided according to the normal assignment of SS#s.

I do not know for a fact if his school records are in public domain.

swampcollielover
08-23-2013, 11:13 AM
It is important t mention that unlike Obama, Ted Cruz has provided all the facts and information up front....says something about the differences in CHARACTER between the two of them!

BonMallari
08-23-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm in the dark on what the Consular Report is, and whether it would be something requested by Cruz ... or someone else. I'd guess that it would be one of those things that a parent wouldn't think of at the time .... imagining that this would be the kid who might grow up to be President.

If such a document can be acquired retroactively, then there should be no problem in doing so.

So far there has been no dispute about whether his SS # is his own; and issued in the state where he resided according to the normal assignment of SS#s.

I do not know for a fact if his school records are in public domain.

Its also known as form FS-240....I had to get one when I lost my Soc Security Card, it is signed by the existing Sec of State...I had all the documents that my mom had saved including my dad's military records, my mom's naturalization records, my birth certificate, and even college transcripts....it took me ONE YEAR to get it back, that document is now under lock and key

Henlee
08-24-2013, 01:16 AM
If you are a
U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will
need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth
Abroad. This document is used in the United States like a certified copy of
a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining
a passport and entering school. Although the application forms and final
documents are the same everywhere, our embassies and consulates have different
procedures to get them. If you haven’t done so already, check your local post
website to learn the local rules. Our Embassies and Consulates will need you to
make an appointment for this service.

It is actual proof of citizenship. The short form birth certificate that he provided is only proof that he has Canadian citizenship. Presented here is the states the only travel that it would guarantee him is with border patrol. Without this document I do not see how anyone could say that he has been open and honest about his past.

Gerry Clinchy
08-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Without this document I do not see how anyone could say that he has been open and honest about his past.
His birth in Canada is documented, and has never been concealed or denied. Open and honest, I'd say.

His father's and mother's places of birth are, and have always been, known. Open and honest, I'd say.

He acted promptly on the revelation that he held dual citizenship. Open and honest, I'd say.

Some legal scholars have already debated the issue of the existing law as to whether his status was "natural born".

Actually documenting his status as being "natural born" has never really been very important, until he began to gain some profile in the Senate, and people began to see him as a potential candidate in the future. So, I'd hope that if the Consular Report is what is required to confirm that, he has the advisors who will take the appropriate steps to acquire it.

Heck, he may not have even considered that as a freshman Senator he would become as high profile as he has become. In truth, his activity there, it seems, has already made him persona non grata to the "establishment". Much as I admire his boldness, it might still be a stretch to think that he can overcome the establishment to be on a candidate ticket in 2016.

I'd say it's not a matter of "open and honest", it more a matter of proper documentation that was not really any issue until quite recently.

Are we still worried that Obama uses an SS# issued in CT that was previously assigned to someone else who died? Has Obama ever tried to explain how that happened? What about the photoshop evidence on the much-heralded long form birth certificate that was not produced for Obama until quite some time AFTER his first election.

I'm not a "birther", but it's annoying that Cruz would be subjected to more stringent standards than Obama.

Henlee
08-24-2013, 03:02 AM
His Canadian citizenship has never been in question. He produced documentation to prove he is Canadian. Please believe me when I tell you I fully believe he is Canadian. He has been very open and honest about that. He has not however produced any documentation that he is American. He said that he has a passport, but hasn't produced it yet. That in and of itself does not prove that he is natural born either. His father became a Canadian Citizen in the time that he lived there. There is logic then that his wife would do the same also. That is just a question, but one that needs to be answered. If he was being totally forthcoming this questions would be answered.

If Obama had produced a Kenyan birth certificate, I would wager you would be asking to see his Consular Report of Birth Abroad to prove his citizenship. I only say that, because he had to produce his long form birth certificate and had it certified as authentic by the Hawaiian Governor, Secretary of State and the Hospital Administrator. To that end there is still the belief that it was photo shopped and part of some vast conspiracy.

If you watch a lot of trials then you would know you can find experts to say anything. The Consular Report is what he should have released in the first place.

Please don't think that the Ted Cruz story leaked out either. He put this out so it would be a non-issue when he announces his candidacy.

BonMallari
08-24-2013, 03:22 AM
His Canadian citizenship has never been in question. He produced documentation to prove he is Canadian. Please believe me when I tell you I fully believe he is Canadian. He has been very open and honest about that. He has not however produced any documentation that he is American. He said that he has a passport, but hasn't produced it yet. That in and of itself does not prove that he is natural born either. His father became a Canadian Citizen in the time that he lived there. There is logic then that his wife would do the same also. That is just a question, but one that needs to be answered. If he was being totally forthcoming this questions would be answered.

If Obama had produced a Kenyan birth certificate, I would wager you would be asking to see his Consular Report of Birth Abroad to prove his citizenship. I only say that, because he had to produce his long form birth certificate and had it certified as authentic by the Hawaiian Governor, Secretary of State and the Hospital Administrator. To that end there is still the belief that it was photo shopped and part of some vast conspiracy.

If you watch a lot of trials then you would know you can find experts to say anything. The Consular Report is what he should have released in the first place.

Please don't think that the Ted Cruz story leaked out either. He put this out so it would be a non-issue when he announces his candidacy.

If he is Canadian as you so boldly claim then why didnt his opponents in the Texas US Senate race look to have the race invalidated, why is there no one in the Senate looking to disqualify him from being a US Senator...WHY..you do have to produce documents to prove you are eligible to run for election in your home state, dont you think he was vetted by his state and also by the R and D party to make sure he had proper documentation to be a US Senator

Henlee
08-24-2013, 03:43 AM
He admitted that he was Canadian. It wasn't until this week that renounced his Canadian Citizenship. There is no one denying that fact. One does not need to be a naturalized citizen to be in the Senate. A naturalized citizen is only required for the office of president and vice president. I am only asking that he prove he is a natural born citizen, a subject that he brought to the media to clear up for his upcoming presidential run. (this is part of his vetting process). I for one cannot accept a Canadian birth certificate as proof of his citizenship to the USA. If you like him or not I don't think anyone on this forum should either. That is a very low bar of proof.

BonMallari
08-24-2013, 06:41 AM
He admitted that he was Canadian. It wasn't until this week that renounced his Canadian Citizenship. There is no one denying that fact. One does not need to be a naturalized citizen to be in the Senate. A naturalized citizen is only required for the office of president and vice president. I am only asking that he prove he is a natural born citizen, a subject that he brought to the media to clear up for his upcoming presidential run. (this is part of his vetting process). I for one cannot accept a Canadian birth certificate as proof of his citizenship to the USA. If you like him or not I don't think anyone on this forum should either. That is a very low bar of proof.

what high school did you graduate from....did you miss that day in civics or American Govt/history

Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution sets three qualifications for senators: 1) they must be at least 30 years old, 2) they must have been citizens of the United States for at least the past nine years, and 3) they must be inhabitants of the states they seek to represent at the time of their election. The age and citizenship qualifications for senators are more stringent than those for representatives

I dont think you know the DEFINITION of Naturalized vs Natural Born

natural born- A person born in the territory of the United States of America or to United States citizen parents

naturalized- Naturalization (or naturalisation) is the acquisition of citizenship and nationality by somebody who was not a citizen of that country at the time of birth.

charly_t
08-24-2013, 07:20 AM
His birth in Canada is documented, and has never been concealed or denied. Open and honest, I'd say.

His father's and mother's places of birth are, and have always been, known. Open and honest, I'd say.

He acted promptly on the revelation that he held dual citizenship. Open and honest, I'd say.

Some legal scholars have already debated the issue of the existing law as to whether his status was "natural born".

Actually documenting his status as being "natural born" has never really been very important, until he began to gain some profile in the Senate, and people began to see him as a potential candidate in the future. So, I'd hope that if the Consular Report is what is required to confirm that, he has the advisors who will take the appropriate steps to acquire it.

Heck, he may not have even considered that as a freshman Senator he would become as high profile as he has become. In truth, his activity there, it seems, has already made him persona non grata to the "establishment". Much as I admire his boldness, it might still be a stretch to think that he can overcome the establishment to be on a candidate ticket in 2016.

I'd say it's not a matter of "open and honest", it more a matter of proper documentation that was not really any issue until quite recently.

Are we still worried that Obama uses an SS# issued in CT that was previously assigned to someone else who died? Has Obama ever tried to explain how that happened? What about the photoshop evidence on the much-heralded long form birth certificate that was not produced for Obama until quite some time AFTER his first election.

I'm not a "birther", but it's annoying that Cruz would be subjected to more stringent standards than Obama.

Very, very good post :-) ................................

huntinman
08-24-2013, 10:03 AM
what high school did you graduate from....did you miss that day in civics or American Govt/history

Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution sets three qualifications for senators: 1) they must be at least 30 years old, 2) they must have been citizens of the United States for at least the past nine years, and 3) they must be inhabitants of the states they seek to represent at the time of their election. The age and citizenship qualifications for senators are more stringent than those for representatives

I dont think you know the DEFINITION of Naturalized vs Natural Born

natural born- A person born in the territory of the United States of America or to United States citizen parents

naturalized- Naturalization (or naturalisation) is the acquisition of citizenship and nationality by somebody who was not a citizen of that country at the time of birth.

Bon, Henlee has an agenda and is just going to keep pounding it. That's what drones do. No amount of rational explanation will sink in.

Gerry Clinchy
08-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Henlee, let's put this together:

You acknowledge he was born in Canada according to the birth certificate he has presented. You accept that as being true and correct.

The US law at the time of his birth stipulated that because his mother was a US citizen, and had lived in the US for the prescribed # of years prior to his birth, her child would be a "natural born" US citizen ... a citizen who did not require "naturalization".

If A and B are both true (both of which have already been verified), then C is merely a formality of doing the paperwork to record those facts already known ... should he become a candidate for VP or Pres.

Do you really doubt that if such paperwork is what is required, he wouldn't do it? Do you believe Canada will deny that he was born there when his birth certificate says he was born there? Will we also ask for his mother's birth certificate to prove that she was born in the US, and had the citizenship to validate she was also born a citizen of the US?

mngundog
08-24-2013, 10:59 AM
It's interesting that Fauxnews has been harping on the birther issue for the better part of the last seven years when it is clearly such a non-issue. Seems to be that Hannity, Rush, Beck and the rest of the clown crew are losing a little sleep over the hypocrisy issue, the spin is in full effect. At least Rush can blame it on the drugs.

caryalsobrook
08-24-2013, 12:31 PM
I have read all these posts about whether Obama was eligable to be President, and now the arguement about Ted Cruz. I wondered WHY is this even going on? Surely our great and wonderful government which thinks it can run the health care system has rules and regulations to certify a candidate as eligible to hold the office of president. Surely the Federal Election requires proper documents and issues certification of eligiblilty for one who wants to run for President. So I went to the web site of the FEC to see what was required of me if I chose to run for President. The BEST I could tell was that THEY HAD NO REQIREMENT FOR CERTIFICATION. They so not issue certification of eligibility. The ONLY thing they are interested is is where does the money come from. They have PLENTY of forms and RULES and REGULATIONS concerning money, but I could not find even a SINGLE AREA concerned with eligibility. So our great and wonderful gov. wise as Solomon, future keeper of our health, is so stupid it cannot EVEN determine the eligibility of someone who chooses to run for President. So Fox News(Faux News?) and CNN(Communist News Network), take your pick as to how silly you want to appear, stir us up as to the eligibility of someone who wants to run for President. God help us survive this stupid Government.

huntinman
08-24-2013, 01:17 PM
I have read all these posts about whether Obama was eligable to be President, and now the arguement about Ted Cruz. I wondered WHY is this even going on? Surely our great and wonderful government which thinks it can run the health care system has rules and regulations to certify a candidate as eligible to hold the office of president. Surely the Federal Election requires proper documents and issues certification of eligiblilty for one who wants to run for President. So I went to the web site of the FEC to see what was required of me if I chose to run for President. The BEST I could tell was that THEY HAD NO REQIREMENT FOR CERTIFICATION. They so not issue certification of eligibility. The ONLY thing they are interested is is where does the money come from. They have PLENTY of forms and RULES and REGULATIONS concerning money, but I could not find even a SINGLE AREA concerned with eligibility. So our great and wonderful gov. wise as Solomon, future keeper of our health, is so stupid it cannot EVEN determine the eligibility of someone who chooses to run for President. So Fox News(Faux News?) and CNN(Communist News Network), take your pick as to how silly you want to appear, stir us up as to the eligibility of someone who wants to run for President. God help us survive this stupid Government.

And the idiots who elected them.

Henlee
08-28-2013, 04:32 AM
(Do you really doubt that if such paperwork is what is required, he wouldn't do it? Do you believe Canada will deny that he was born there when his birth certificate says he was born there? Will we also ask for his mother's birth certificate to prove that she was born in the US, and had the citizenship to validate she was also born a citizen of the US? ) I would argue that he should have already. If your going to hold a press conference to prove your a citizen bring the documentation to back it up.

Interesting fact and then I am going to let go of the Ted Cruz argument. In 1987 Pres. Reagan signed an immigration bill into place with then intent of allowing Vietnamese children conceived from an American parent to become a naturalized citizen. This suggests to that at the time up to 1987 children born to one foreign national and one citizen outside of the U.S. were not considered Natural Born Citizens, but naturalized citizens. I have not been able to find anything to show that that law is not still in effect. Of course I could not find the laws as they were written in 1970 either.

Gerry Clinchy
08-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Interesting fact and then I am going to let go of the Ted Cruz argument. In 1987 Pres. Reagan signed an immigration bill into place with then intent of allowing Vietnamese children conceived from an American parent to become a naturalized citizen. This suggests to that at the time up to 1987 children born to one foreign national and one citizen outside of the U.S. were not considered Natural Born Citizens, but naturalized citizens. I have not been able to find anything to show that that law is not still in effect. Of course I could not find the laws as they were written in 1970 either.
I believe that someone has cited the present law. I also recall that the issue with Obama, IF he had been born in Kenya, would have been that the law at that time was different. O's mother, though a US citizen, would have had to have lived in the US for "x" number of years after reaching age 18. Since she had left the US before she was age 18 (to go to Kenya with Obama Sr), she did not fit the protocol.

However, I believe that Cruz's mother had lived in the US for at least the prescribed time after reaching age 18. So, the same law that would have kept Obama from being a "natural" citizen (IF he had been born in Kenya) would still make Cruz a natural citizen ... since the residency requirements of his citizen parent had been satisfied.

Since there has never been any effort by Cruz to conceal the place of his birth, or anything else (so far as we know) about his life before becoming a Senator, I find it difficult to imagine that he would not do the same in the future.

We DO know that Obama still has not made some events of his early life public ... like his grades in college; or an explanation of why he was classified as a "foreign" student at one point. In fact, in some instances he has gone to considerable lengths to preserve that privacy.

I have to admit that I am still in awe of (his father's statement) that Ted, and some of his HS classmates, memorized the US Constitution and travelled giving speeches WRT the Constitution. I think of myself in HS and cannot imagine having a scintilla of that kind of maturity back then. While my family was one of immigrants, there was never the political emphasis in my childhood. I would have to believe that Cruz's father's experiences in Cuba instilled that kind of passion for the preciousness of the freedoms provided by the Constitution.

Gerry Clinchy
08-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Interesting small note on Ted Cruz in the National Review, by Jay Nordlinger:

I wanted to say something about my friend Ted Cruz, the new Texas senator. He is very optimistic about what can be done — way too optimistic, many conservatives say. I think I know a reason for his optimism.

When he ran for the Senate, people told him — and I mean experienced people, political veterans — that it was impossible. He had no chance. He’d embarrass himself. He had never run for office before. For the Republican nomination, he was up against the state’s lieutenant governor, a self-financer. Ted could never win.

And yet he won.

Therefore, when people say, “This is impossible,” Ted is apt to say, “Really? Are you sure?”

jb504079
09-12-2013, 01:21 PM
It's interesting that Fauxnews has been harping on the birther issue for the better part of the last seven years when it is clearly such a non-issue. Seems to be that Hannity, Rush, Beck and the rest of the clown crew are losing a little sleep over the hypocrisy issue, the spin is in full effect. At least Rush can blame it on the drugs.

lol....four words.....Jesse "The Body" Ventura

mngundog
09-12-2013, 01:27 PM
lol....four words.....Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Best Governor Minnesota has had in my lifetime, won the election without one dime from a special interest group, owed no favors to anyone. He sure shook up up politics here. What policy of Jesse's did you not like?

menmon
09-12-2013, 07:04 PM
I didnt write the article, its a copy/paste from the DMN....but if you compare the wording from the Yahoo news and The DMN they paint a very different picture..Yahoo news is known to have a VERY LIBERAL slant on the news

personally I dont think that Cruz is eligible but that will be for a court to decide- both a Supreme one and a public opinion one...I dont want Ted Cruz to be the Republican BHO...two years ago no one heard or knew about Ted Cruz outside of the state of Texas his meteoric rise to the national spotlight makes me want to tap the breaks and say WHOA NELLIE what major legislation has he authored or co authored..He is a good orator, but so was BHO...I want more substance and less flash before I jump on this bandwagon

If the republicans want to win in 2016 you hope that he is not elgible. Albeit I don't think Christy can win against Clinton, it will take someone like him.

Dan Storts
09-12-2013, 08:54 PM
If the republicans want to win in 2016 you hope that he is not elgible. Albeit I don't think Christy can win against Clinton, it will take someone like him.

Christy will likely be a democrat by than and beat her in the primary.

huntinman
09-12-2013, 10:44 PM

That's funny menmon... Taking a break from the trials long enough to tell us dumbass republicans to nominate another RINO... Thanks but no thanks...

menmon
09-15-2013, 07:40 PM
That's funny menmon... Taking a break from the trials long enough to tell us dumbass republicans to nominate another RINO... Thanks but no thanks...

That is your only chance at winning....yes I am trying to enlighten you:razz:

starjack
09-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Dont think it is working

Uncle Bill
09-16-2013, 06:03 PM
UB, It irks me when people who think they are mental giants that live in states that receive $4,414 per capita more from the federal government each year in payments than they pay in, preach to others about being advocates for handouts.

Yep look at this socialism. Corporate profits at record highs, banks profits growing, unemployment down, stock market at record highs, housing industry on the rise, and worker wages stagnant while productivity has increased. Just as Lenin planned it. Socialism indeed.

Your lack of intelligence is amazing. While trying to sound erudite about global warming and other absolute idiotic ideas, you can't quite grasp why Sodak would have that much return on tax payers money. Let me spell it out for you again, and may your chagrin never end. The reservations of the various Indian nations cover almost a 5th of the state. The Native American population that is TOTALLY funded by the Fed is a huge recipient of your beloved taxes. Couple that with the SFN crowd and it's welfare system, food stamps, etc, etc, etc, and it adds up. Since we don't have any industry to mention, only agriculture, and you know how smart those 'dumb' farmers are...they never pay any income tax...they have no income.

I'm sorry so many of you liberals in Minnesooooota feel cut out of your share, but when the global warming you so looong for takes your home into the lake, you too will be able to put in a claim. Think how happy that will make you...how socialistic you will be able to profess.

Now, let's look at who is really making all that filthy lucre, and why. The stock market is an excellant example of your Democrat and Hollywood lefties getting their wallets filled by your messiah's programs of raiding tax-payers for his pathetic stimulus gifts to the unions and the rest of his cronies that are getting all they can, only to have fools like you that continue to be played by your government rant about the fat cats and wealthy not paying their fair share. Look more closely, Henry. Like no less an authority than Pogo once said,"We have found the enemy, and they are us." Is it fun traveling through life and not realizing how badly you are being used by your Democrat party? I give you this, you are a loyalist willing to fall on the sword 'til you bleed to death.

UB

huntinman
09-16-2013, 09:48 PM

Ronald Reagan had you guys figured out way back when... Pay special,attention to the punch line.... There's your enlightenment;-)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyjgFj9gwM

swampcollielover
09-16-2013, 10:00 PM

No light in that comment at all...just ongoing noise!

mjh345
09-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Your lack of intelligence is amazing. While trying to sound erudite about global warming and other absolute idiotic ideas, you can't quite grasp why Sodak would have that much return on tax payers money. Let me spell it out for you again, and may your chagrin never end. The reservations of the various Indian nations cover almost a 5th of the state. The Native American population that is TOTALLY funded by the Fed is a huge recipient of your beloved taxes. Couple that with the SFN crowd and it's welfare system, food stamps, etc, etc, etc, and it adds up. Since we don't have any industry to mention, only agriculture, and you know how smart those 'dumb' farmers are...they never pay any income tax...they have no income.

I'm sorry so many of you liberals in Minnesooooota feel cut out of your share, but when the global warming you so looong for takes your home into the lake, you too will be able to put in a claim. Think how happy that will make you...how socialistic you will be able to profess.

Now, let's look at who is really making all that filthy lucre, and why. The stock market is an excellant example of your Democrat and Hollywood lefties getting their wallets filled by your messiah's programs of raiding tax-payers for his pathetic stimulus gifts to the unions and the rest of his cronies that are getting all they can, only to have fools like you that continue to be played by your government rant about the fat cats and wealthy not paying their fair share. Look more closely, Henry. Like no less an authority than Pogo once said,"We have found the enemy, and they are us." Is it fun traveling through life and not realizing how badly you are being used by your Democrat party? I give you this, you are a loyalist willing to fall on the sword 'til you bleed to death.

UBBut YOUR BROAD MINDED OBJECTIVE INTELLIGENCE is truly astounding!!
Please enlighten me some with your statistical brilliance. Please Give us a breakdown of all states eliminating the costs of the bottom 20% of their all residents. Or is it only fair that only your home state that is allowed to eliminate the bottom 20% in any statistical analysis While your at it please give us the proof of your quoted : "The native American population that is TOTALLY funded by the Fed"

swampcollielover
09-17-2013, 04:09 PM
But YOUR BROAD MINDED OBJECTIVE INTELLIGENCE is truly astounding!!
Please enlighten me some with your statistical brilliance. Please Give us a breakdown of all states eliminating the costs of the bottom 20% of their all residents. Or is it only fair that only your home state that is allowed to eliminate the bottom 20% in any statistical analysis While your at it please give us the proof of your quoted : "The native American population that is TOTALLY funded by the Fed"

I will not speak for Uncle Bill.....but as far as I am concerned playing the 'numbers' game is not at the heart of this discussion, as data frequently is used to "mis-represent" reality. I believe their is a much more sinister reason for the unusual position mjh345 and others like you take....T S Eliot said it better than I can..."Half the harm that isdone in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't meanto do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, orthey justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think wellof themselves."
-- T. S. Eliot

Ken Bora
09-30-2013, 12:19 PM
I am not for, or against this Cruz.
were he to run, it's for him to choose.
Our rules are as plain as a bible to read.
Yet dozens of churches, say they have the right creed.
When we line up Cruz with Barry.
The thing that has. me very wary.
Is how one of them has stories that vary,
yet promises to be transpary;)
And the other, on the senate floor,
reads from the doctor we all adore.:cool:

Henry V
10-14-2013, 02:28 PM
....keeps staying in the news but this topic has dropped to page 2 here.

He just won two straw polls among Conservative Republicans. http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/13/ted-cruz-dominates-republican-straw-poll/

Had a rally at the WWII memorial over the weekend with Sarah Palin http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/2013/10/shutdown-theater-sen-ted-cruz-sarah-palin-rally-at-world-war-ii-memorial.html/

and demonstrates that he is in complete denial about impacts that his strategy is having on the Republican party http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/11/20924466-cruz-scoffs-at-nbcwsj-poll-thats-not-reflective-of-where-this-country-is?lite

But then again the NBC/Wall Street Journal poll shows that the TeaParty still loves him.

Go Ted Cruz!!!!

Gerry Clinchy
10-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Perhaps Cruz and Lee walked into a battle they could not win ... this time. However, I have to agree with the basic philosophy that if you lay down and roll over, you have zero chance of winning. I really believe Ds have come to expect that of the Rs ... rolling over under the least bit of pressure.

It will really be of no use to freedom for you and I to have a one-party system.

Gerry Clinchy
12-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Aside from Cruz's birth question and his short tenure in the Senate before acquiring a high profile, the credentials of the two (Obama & Cruz) differ quite a lot. Whether you like Cruz or not, it is not easy to deny that his actual legal expertise outweighs Obama's (IMHO).

As a teenager, Cruz was involved with several conservative groups, where he learned about free-market principles and political philosophy. He graduated valedictorian of Houston’s Second Baptist High School and went on to study at Princeton University and Harvard Law School. During college, Cruz was a national award-winning debater, primary editor of the Harvard Law Review, and executive editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy. He was also a founding editor of the Harvard Latino Law Review.

His impressive academic background led to federal-level clerkships. He also served as attorney to John Boehner during a lawsuit in 1998, and as domestic policy adviser on the Bush- Cheney campaign in 1999. His service on the Bush campaign earned him the spot of director of policy planning at the Federal Trade Commission, and then associate deputy attorney general at the Justice Department.

Later, Cruz was appointed solicitor general of Texas. Cruz’s tenure in that position from 2003-2008 made him both the longest-serving and first Hispanic solicitor general in Texas state history. At the time, he was also the youngest solicitor general in the country. As if there wasn’t enough on his plate, Cruz also served as an adjunct professor at the University of Texas School of Law. He retired from his position with the state to return to private practice in 2008.

To label his legal career as successful would be an understatement. His record includes presenting 43 oral arguments, nine of which were made before the Supreme Court, and authoring 80 Supreme Court briefs.

This sounds pragmatic:

“Where I think so many Republicans have gone wrong,” he continues, “is they have compromised for compromise sake. They have compromised in a way that is worse for the status quo. I don’t think a deal is a good deal if it exacerbates the problem. If we’re moving in the right direction, then I’m perfectly happy taking less than 100 percent of what I would like.”
This sounds like putting the voice of the constituents above the voice of the Beltway:

It was never his intention to fall in line with business as usual. He’s even changing the National Republican Senatorial Committee, where he is vice chair along with Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio. Along with chairman Sen. Jerry Moran of Kansas, these senators will have input into how well Republican incumbents are protected and how many Democratic seats are pursued.

In the past, the NRSC played a prominent role in mid-term primaries, but Cruz believes “Washington doesn’t have a good track record of picking winners and losers” and that “primaries should be decided by the grassroots voters on the ground in each state.” While not opposed to personal participation in primary elections, the senator hopes the NRSC will only play a supporting role, once candidates are chosen.

Regardless of his place in history, Cruz did more in his first year than many veteran senators accomplished in decades. He shook up the Washington establishment and he elevated the voice of his constituents not just on the Senate floor, but across the country.
Yes, I like Cruz. Yes, I think he is sincere. I never believed Clinton or Obama were more than rhetoric (and absolutely Hillary is in the same category). He's rocked the boat in DC ... I think it's about time. When McCain calls him a wacko bird, I tend to believe that Cruz is on the right track :-)

PamK
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
and he still hasn't renounced his Canadian Citizenship.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/01/03/ted-cruz-canada-dual-citizenship/4308583/

TORONTO (AP) - U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz vowed months ago to renounce his Canadian citizenship by the end of 2013, but the Calgary-born Republican is still a dual citizen.

Cruz, 43, recently said in an interview with the Dallas Morning News that lawyers are preparing the paperwork to renounce citizenship, just as he said in August.

Richard Kurland, a Vancouver-based immigration attorney, wonders what's taking so long. Kurland said Friday that unless there's a security or mental health issue that hasn't been disclosed, renouncing citizenship is a simple, quick process.

"If he's attempting to bring our system into disrepute by suggesting it's lengthy and complex, it's just not true. Revocation is one of the fastest processes in our system," said Kurland.

Henlee
01-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Maybe he is keeping his options open in case he wins?

menmon
01-12-2014, 07:38 AM
I hope he gets the nomination....it assures that the republicans will lose the white house again. Go Cruz!!!!!

mngundog
01-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Aside from Cruz's birth question and his short tenure in the Senate before acquiring a high profile, the credentials of the two (Obama & Cruz) differ quite a lot. Whether you like Cruz or not, it is not easy to deny that his actual legal expertise outweighs Obama's (IMHO).

This sounds pragmatic:

This sounds like putting the voice of the constituents above the voice of the Beltway:

Yes, I like Cruz. Yes, I think he is sincere. I never believed Clinton or Obama were more than rhetoric (and absolutely Hillary is in the same category). He's rocked the boat in DC ... I think it's about time. When McCain calls him a wacko bird, I tend to believe that Cruz is on the right track :-)

. Later, Cruz was appointed solicitor general of Texas. Cruz’s tenure in that position from 2003-2008 made him both the longest-serving and first Hispanic solicitor general in Texas state history. At the time, he was also the youngest solicitor general in the country. As if there wasn’t enough on his plate, Cruz also served as an adjunct professor at the University of Texas School of Law. He retired from his position with the state to return to private practice in 2008.
So Ted Cruz is a Canadian, born from a white American mother and a Cuban father but wants to be called Hispanic? Maybe that was Romney's mistake, his father was Mexican and yet Mitt never played the race card.

huntinman
01-12-2014, 08:55 AM
So Ted Cruz is a Canadian, born from a white American mother and a Cuban father but wants to be called Hispanic? Maybe that was Romney's mistake, his father was Mexican and yet Mitt never played the race card.

Why not? It works for Obama...

Henlee
01-12-2014, 11:30 AM
No one has answered yet if he is also a Cuban citizen by virtue of his father being a Cuban citizen at the time of his birth.

mngundog
01-12-2014, 11:35 AM
No one has answered yet if he is also a Cuban citizen by virtue of his father being a Cuban citizen at the time of his birth.

"As a Cuban, Rafael Cruz probably could have requested citizenship for his son, experts said. Even if he’d wanted to, the Cuban Constitution bans dual citizenship. And the chance to register the child passed long ago."

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/headlines/20130818-ted-cruz-born-a-citizen-of-canada-under-the-countrys-immigration-rules.ece