PDA

View Full Version : Move Congress out of DC?

Gerry Clinchy
08-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Kind of an interesting propostion
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/08/moving_american_government_back_to_america.html
Imagine how it would be if when a Congress-critter was voting, he was sitting in his home district/state, surrounded by his constituents ... not off in remote DC.

They might actually get more accomplished that was worth accomplishing.

swampcollielover
08-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Heck Gerry, I would just settle for them to be available to us on a regular basis......!

Gerry Clinchy
08-23-2013, 12:23 PM
That would be a novelty ... when you send them an email (presumably the same goes for USPS), all you get back is a canned response ... most especially when your contact differs from what they're voting for in Congress.

There should be more opportunity for townhall-type interaction, when they have to look their constituents in the eye.

swampcollielover
08-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Gerry, I agree I have a file of canned responses, I send email and fax every chance I get...if nothing else it lets them know we are watching...

GaryJ
08-23-2013, 05:55 PM
I like the idea of facing the people when voting. With the technology we have today it is certainly possible.

huntinman
08-23-2013, 06:05 PM
It would never happen. Can you imagine the screams from the folks of DC? It would kill the gravy train that the DC area has been on for so long. Too many lobbyists with expensive real estate to pay for. Same with a lot of the politicians, staffers etc...

GaryJ
08-23-2013, 06:13 PM
It would never happen. Can you imagine the screams from the folks of DC? It would kill the gravy train that the DC area has been on for so long. Too many lobbyists with expensive real estate to pay for. Same with a lot of the politicians, staffers etc...

I agree that it won't happen but that doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. Heck most good ideas concerning DC never see the light of day there.

huntinman
08-23-2013, 06:18 PM
I agree that it won't happen but that doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. Heck most good ideas concerning DC never see the light of day there.

That's right, but lots of bad ones do...

GaryJ
08-23-2013, 09:02 PM
That's right, but lots of bad ones do...

All the time. The country is wrestling with one now.