PDA

View Full Version : A very smart man

Down East Labs 217
08-27-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/embed/n_YQ8560E1w?autoplay=1

If more would think like this we would solve a lot of problems. I am sure there is going to be some back lash for me posting this so lets here it.

Richard

Arnie
08-27-2013, 08:39 PM
And a brave one. Generally I don't care for the idea of a "POTUS Place" thread. I come to RTF to tune out the sad state of politics in our nation but this is one link I'm glad I followed. Thanks for posting.

roseberry
08-27-2013, 08:41 PM
wow!!!!!!!!

Gerry Clinchy
08-27-2013, 09:10 PM
I'd seen this video before. I'd really be interested to hear the story of what made him make the change at this point. Since he is obviously not a young man, one gets the sense that for quite a while he was a Democrat. I'm going to visit his website to see if some of those details are there ... explaining what made him make this change at this point in his life.

Quite a contrast to Sharpton and Jesse, huh?!

Gerry Clinchy
08-27-2013, 09:34 PM
He said in one interview that he had been a Democrat for about a decade ... until the party left him. I think Reagan used the same phrase. His district is, he said, about 65% Democrat, but his constituents have applauded him for his change of party, as the values he says made him change are the same as those of his constituency. He says there are a lot of "conservative Democrats" that just haven't spoken up.

He is a Navy veteran, and a hunter.

http://www.elbertguillory.com/index.php/elgmedia/16-tv-ads/45-second-amendment

Franco
08-27-2013, 09:40 PM
I've met El several times! Not only does he represent my District in the State House, he leaned on our News/Talk radio station heavily during his campaign. He won with the help of the Dems and Repubs as he has just recently changed Party affiliation to a Repub.

Gerry Clinchy
08-28-2013, 12:59 PM
http://frederickdouglassrepublican.com/about/k-carl-smith/
On Guillory's website, there was a video of him with K. Carl Smith, retired US Army officer. I was curious about who K. Carl was, so I googled him.

It's pretty amazing that we have not heard more about K. Carl ... obviously Guillory had.

It is K. Carl's premise that "Frederick Douglass Republicans" can deflect the assault of being called "Uncle Tom" ... in so doing one would have to also indict Douglass, an historical figure of substanial influence, and a strong advocate of the Constitution.
http://frederickdouglassrepublican.com/

You might want to watch some of these videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZZTkZgwH-Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqYcb36qtmI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhrNoDhOexs

The last one is about 15 minutes long, but worth listening to. He mentions that 60% of the FDRs are white. These seem to be the people who are really trying to bring people together, rather than dividing them.

It is unfortunate that that last video has only received 802 views!

Smith gets a charge out of their T-shirts ... the big, bold letters on the shirts are "FDR", and underneathe it says "Frederick Douglass Republican".

HPL
08-28-2013, 01:19 PM
He said in one interview that he had been a Democrat for about a decade ... until the party left him. I think Reagan used the same phrase. His district is, he said, about 65% Democrat, but his constituents have applauded him for his change of party, as the values he says made him change are the same as those of his constituency. He says there are a lot of "conservative Democrats" that just haven't spoken up.

He is a Navy veteran, and a hunter.

http://www.elbertguillory.com/index.php/elgmedia/16-tv-ads/45-second-amendment

For those of you who have followed Newt, you may remember him saying in at least one speech that the Republicans hold a number of core values (fiscal responsibility, personal responsibility, respect for hard work, etc.) that poll at 80+% across demographics. His recommendation was that the Republican candidate stand next to those values and smile. Unfortunately the hardline rightwing wackos won't let them do that, instead insisting that they take hard positions on the most divisive issues like gay marriage, immigration, and abortion (all representing the third rail of national politics).

huntinman
08-28-2013, 03:27 PM
For those of you who have followed Newt, you may remember him saying in at least one speech that the Republicans hold a number of core values (fiscal responsibility, personal responsibility, respect for hard work, etc.) that poll at 80+% across demographics. His recommendation was that the Republican candidate stand next to those values and smile. Unfortunately the hardline rightwing wackos won't let them do that, instead insisting that they take hard positions on the most divisive issues like gay marriage, immigration, and abortion (all representing the third rail of national politics).

Think you're wrong there Hugh... It's the media who rings the hot button issue up all the time... Not the "wackos". As you so eloquently call us. Most of us wacko's are more concerned with the economy, unemployment and what the Dems are doing to our taxes and the health care system.

HPL
08-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Think you're wrong there Hugh... It's the media who rings the hot button issue up all the time... Not the "wackos". As you so eloquently call us. Most of us wacko's are more concerned with the economy, unemployment and what the Dems are doing to our taxes and the health care system.

No, I stand by my original statement. During the primaries, it is the "Party Faithful" who demand that the candidates "prove" themselves worthy of being called "conservative" by making sure that their positions on those previously mentioned "deadly" issues align with the most extreme members of the "base". Frustrates the living hell out of me. In "vetting" the candidates the "purists" generally have made them voice positions that virtually guarantees that they can't win a national election. Just stupid. We keep getting killed by "friendly fire".

huntinman
08-28-2013, 05:52 PM
No, I stand by my original statement. During the primaries, it is the "Party Faithful" who demand that the candidates "prove" themselves worthy of being called "conservative" by making sure that their positions on those previously mentioned "deadly" issues align with the most extreme members of the "base". Frustrates the living hell out of me. In "vetting" the candidates the "purists" generally have made them voice positions that virtually guarantees that they can't win a national election. Just stupid. We keep getting killed by "friendly fire".

When??

Remember this from Jan 7 2012 R. Debate. Stephanopoulas askinging Romney about Republicans banning (gasp!) contraceptives?

From Wiki:
Romney got into a long discussion with moderator George Stephanopoulos over whether states have the right to ban contraception or whether that was trumped by a constitutional right to privacy. Romney said, "So you're asking, given the fact that there's no state that wants to do so and I don't know of any candidate that wants to do so, you're asking could it constitutionally be done? We can ask our constitutionalist here," gesturing to Ron Paul, which drew laughter and applause from the audience.[58] The discussion continued until Romney grew frustrated at the repeated questioning and asserted, "States don't want to ban contraception. So why would we try and put it in the Constitution?... Contraception, it's working just fine, just leave it alone."[58] Stephanopoulos later joked on The Colbert Report that he had a bet with fellow moderator Diane Sawyer that he could get Romney to say "contraceptions are working just fine".[58] Jon Huntsman, in response to a question on civil unions, joked, "I'm a married man. I've been married for 28 years. I have seven kids. Glad we're off the contraception discussion."

You are drinking the kool aid if you think it's friendly fire. It's a media and Lib setup from the start and gullible folks fall for it.

HPL
08-28-2013, 06:33 PM
When??

You are drinking the kool aid if you think it's friendly fire. It's a media and Lib setup from the start and gullible folks fall for it.

Surely you jest! There are folks on this very forum who refer to any republican who won't commit on civil unions, immigration, or abortion as a rino (and call me one too). The liberal media may revel in those issues, but if the candidates weren't taking heat from the "faithful" they would simply dodge those questions from the media.

mjh345
08-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Sadly speaking the truth about personal responsibility will fall on many deaf ears for the vocal manipulative self serving Jessie Jackson-Al Sharpton types in the black community. Bill Cosby can attest to that

suepuff
08-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Did anyone see the movie, Lincoln? It was after that, that I recalled what the Republican party had done for the black community. It was a very good movie. Not an action movie, but a refresher on history and government. I came out of that wondering how the Democratic party seemed to be the party of choice for the black community in recent years. Anyone know why the switch.

Thanks Rich. Good video. I applaud the man.

Sue Puff

mjh345
08-28-2013, 09:54 PM
I came out of that wondering how the Democratic party seemed to be the party of choice for the black community in recent years. Anyone know why the switch.

Sue PuffSocial entitlements????

HPL
08-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Did anyone see the movie, Lincoln? It was after that, that I recalled what the Republican party had done for the black community. It was a very good movie. Not an action movie, but a refresher on history and government. I came out of that wondering how the Democratic party seemed to be the party of choice for the black community in recent years. Anyone know why the switch.

Sue Puff

I suspect that it began with FDR's social programs, got a boost by JFK, and then really took off with LBJ's "Great Society" that pushed a very liberal social agenda.

Gerry Clinchy
08-28-2013, 11:50 PM

Sue Puff
Some black Americans have asked the same question
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhrNoDhOexs