PDA

View Full Version : When Govt Gets Too Big

Gerry Clinchy
09-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Thought that this thread could become a catch-all for various examples of how big govt gets in its own way.

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Authorities say the owner of $4 stores in northern New Jersey has admitted to a scheme in which patrons were allowed to make more than $5 million in fraudulent food stamp transactions.

Essex County prosecutors say 49-year-old Muhammed Farooq of Somerset pleaded guilty Wednesday to theft by deception and agreed to forfeit $832,830, He faces up to seven years in state prison when he's sentenced Jan. 6.

Authorities have said Farooq allowed patrons to use food stamps to buy nonfood items, such as electronics. They say the purchases totaled roughly $5.2 million and went on for nearly 2 1/2 years.

Farooq owns two stores in Newark, one in East Orange and another in Elizabeth.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This doesn't explain how the fraud was finally uncovered ... except that it took 2-1/2 years to do so.

Henlee
09-12-2013, 05:49 AM
[B]NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Authorities say the owner of $4 stores in northern New Jersey has admitted to a scheme in which patrons were allowed to make more than $5 million in fraudulent food stamp transactions.

How come they never do a story when someone uses food stamps to buy milk for their kids.

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#575757]Essex County prosecutors say 49-year-old Muhammed Farooq of Somerset pleaded guilty Wednesday to theft by deception and agreed to forfeit $832,830, He faces up to seven years in state prison when he's sentenced Jan. 6.

$832,830 fine when he profited over $5 million, does anyone think this is a good and fair punishment. Think I need to get in the food stamp business. I would easily do seven years for over 5 million dollars. The punishments for "white collar crime" is so disproportionate it encourages people to commit it.

Gerry Clinchy
09-12-2013, 09:44 AM
The article appeared to say that it was $5 million in food stamps, but that would not have been larger than the "profit" on that amount ... but I DO agree that the punishment is inadequate. He should have been fined multiples of his profit from his illegal acts.

Not only did he steal (as Bernie Maddoff did), but this guy stole funds intended for the most vulnerable in society. And if those who used the food stamps for illegal purchases, they should also be removed from the program immediately, at the very least ... and given an ankle bracelet for a few years as well.

Fraud and abuse turn taxpayers against safety-net programs and that can end up penalizing those who may truly need assistance.

For starters, though, I'd think we should decrease food stamp spending next year by the amount this guy fleeced from the program. Every time something like this is turned up, the amount of fraud/abuse should be deducted from the following year's funding. Maybe then those who need the programs will start to get a little angry at the people who do the fraud and abuse, and start reporting them?

Henlee
09-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Dude is a scumbag.

I am afraid I do not remember the name of the person who came up with the idea, but an idea that was floated around to fight bribery was to legalize offering bribes. The idea was one offered a bribe and another took it that both parties had a mutual interest in keeping their arrangement secret, however by making the offering of a bribe legal meant that the person accepting the bribe had to put absolute trust the briber would keep their secret.

Applied to this situation a shop owner would have to trust every individual that walked into the door to not turn him in. To add to the distrust an offer of reward for information leading to a prosecution may make one think about breaking the law.

this is all academic, but I liked the idea originally and it seemed like a fit here also.

Gerry Clinchy
09-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Don't think it would work, Henlee. If it's legal, then it should be reported in some way for bureaucrats and elected officials, so that we know who is taking bribes and who isn't. Sort of like reporting campaign contributions. Do you think we could get them to admit to it?

You really can't "legislate" morality ... so something that is "wrong", even if legal, means that there will still be negative perceptions on the idea of buying "favors".

Gerry Clinchy
09-14-2013, 04:41 PM
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/heatherginsberg/2013/09/14/social-security-overpays-13-billion-in-benefits-n1699691

Over a billion dollars of over-spending by the Social Security Administration is completely inexcusable. It’s time for reform to take hold and get rid of the abundance of fraud in this organization.
Why is no bureaucrat ever held accountable for their errors? They never get fired or even "replaced". What are the chances that someone in the private sector would keep his job if had "inexcusable" errors like this?

Gerry Clinchy
09-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Was just reading about the backlog of VA claims, only 500,000 remaining. It had been 900,000. The system serves 6.3 million veterans. Meanwhile the VA gave out over $1/2 million in bonuses to the administrators of VA facilities.

I wonder if Sebelius is getting a bonus this year? (like Lerner got during her tenure at the IRS).

Will Obamacare work this well?

Eric Johnson
09-22-2013, 04:54 PM
My VA claim has now been waiting 27 months.

Henryk
09-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Government taxes are imposed by force, the people don't want these. we should decrease food stamp spending, by the amount this guy fleeced from the program. Every time something like this is turned up, the amount of fraud/abuse should be deducted.

Henry V
09-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Gerry, how does your first post have anything to do with "examples of how big govt gets in its own way."? You cited a case of a private business person committing a crime, fraud, with his customers and the government (i.e. police, law enforcement) caught them.

Gerry Clinchy
09-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Gerry, how does your first post have anything to do with "examples of how big govt gets in its own way."? You cited a case of a private business person committing a crime, fraud, with his customers and the government (i.e. police, law enforcement) caught them.
When there are 47 million people collecting $50/wk or about $200/mo that is a heckuva lot of money. That works out to $9.4 billion a month or about $113 billion a year. With even 1% fraud, that's $1 billion a year going down a hole. I'd guess there is more than 1% of this going on. They don't even notice this guy's "small" operation for, I'm sure, well over a year.

This fella isn't the only one. Saw an article yesterday about another pair of brothers with a similar store who fleeced another $2 million from the system. Several smaller cases of under $1 million were also mentioned. These are only the crooks they actually found recently.

Thus, when a govt program gets this huge, it becomes much harder to monitor ... so some rather substantial portions of the funding are not going to the people it was intended to help.

Henry V
09-25-2013, 11:10 PM
..... Thus, when a govt program gets this huge, it becomes much harder to monitor ... so some rather substantial portions of the funding are not going to the people it was intended to help.
So, you are blaming the government for fraud being committed by individuals. Seems to me this is equivalent to blaming the huge number of guns available in the US to crimes committed by individuals and we know that guns don't commit crimes, people do. I am sure you would also agree that government programs don't commit fraud, people do, right?

I am curious whether the government is also to blame for all the corporate fraud, banking fraud, tax fraud, etc? How about all the fraud in defense contracting?

Henlee
09-25-2013, 11:17 PM
We really need a like button.

huntinman
09-25-2013, 11:39 PM
So, you are blaming the government for fraud being committed by individuals. Seems to me this is equivalent to blaming the huge number of guns available in the US to crimes committed by individuals and we know that guns don't commit crimes, people do. I am sure you would also agree that government programs don't commit fraud, people do, right?

I am curious whether the government is also to blame for all the corporate fraud, banking fraud, tax fraud, etc? How about all the fraud in defense contracting?

The fraud is in the WH.

Gerry Clinchy
09-26-2013, 12:07 AM

Is not the govt supposed to enforce the law? I don't blame the govt for the fraud. I blame the govt for not enforcing their laws effectively.

If the govt compels you to pay taxes, then it has responsibility for the stewardship of those funds.

Henlee
09-26-2013, 10:41 AM
I would say particularly in this case the government did enforce the laws. They may not have the resources to follow up on this as effectively as they should. The priorities for law enforcement also seem to have fraud pretty low on their list. Drugs and violent crime I would say take up the vast amount of resources. Most police departments are about 50% traffic enforcement also. it is not how I would like to see things done, but it is the reality of the situation.

Gerry Clinchy
09-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Welfare programs constitute $916 BILLION of our annual budget. There are 80 different entitlement programs. Perhaps the Fed govt ought not be in charge of all of that? Perhaps localize it more so that it could get more individual attention?

If the govt programs have gotten too large to enforce, thus literally hundreds of millions lost to waste and fraud, then something needs to be reformed. I won't leave waste in the military out either. There is plenty there as well.

Lately, it seems the govt is falling short in its enforcement in too many areas. From its oversight of the IRS to very costly fraud in Medicare, taxpayers have seen real income decrease as the cost of these programs continues to increase. And the military says it would have taken 24 hours to get help to Benghazi! This does not bode well for a mammouth new program like O-care.

I will not pretend that I have the answers to fixing all these programs. None of us in the citizenry have the information about all these hundreds (if not thousands) of govt programs among all the agencies. This is what what we are paying our legislators and govt employees to do. With the kind of $ that is involved, and our debt growing daily, they have not been doing their jobs. The Inspector General for the Fed Reserve could not explain where $9 billion got lost!

charly_t
09-26-2013, 01:40 PM
We really need a like button.

Use the "thumbs up" down on the lower mid section ( sort of ). Some days it does not work for me however.

Henlee
09-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Welfare programs constitute $916 BILLION of our annual budget. There are 80 different entitlement programs.

Are you including all social programs as welfare?

Gerry Clinchy
09-26-2013, 04:18 PM
The article I took the figures from included at least food stamps (remember that's about $100 billion all by itself), cash for housing and clothing, Medicaid. You might be surprised how many people get $800-$1000/mo for rent. As a Realtor I run into that. Some also get partial benefits that are supposed to cover maybe 50% of their rent. College students can get that, too. Don't know if that also includes free school lunches and free school breakfasts or Head Start.

I don't believe that would have included SS or Medicare, since those programs are paid into by the ultimate beneficiaries.

Gerry Clinchy
09-26-2013, 10:10 PM
About govt getting too big .. the IRS has already "misplaced" $67 million in its fund to "implement" O-care. The program hasn't even started yet, and there is $67 million missing. It has a fund of $1 billion to implement the law. And these are the people who are going to keep track of all the numbers?

Gerry Clinchy
09-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Interesting how $ in the Fed budget was found to help out Detroit ... $100 million.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/09/obama_administration_finds_100_million_for_detroit .html

Gerry Clinchy
09-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Coburn, a fiscal hawk who publishes an annual “Wastebook” report, says the funding bill Congress is currently considering is chock full of head-scratching, taxpayer money-wasting government grants. They include: 35 wine projects, including 10 grants to support wine tasting, radio ads about New Jersey blueberries and funding for Organizing Maple Weekend in Massachusetts, with festivities that include a recipe contest.

Elsewhere," Coburn continued, "just this week the government celebrated Christmas in September by funding numerous Christmas tree projects across the country plus a number of other stupid projects like junkets for Chinese wine connoisseurs and a maple syrup recipe contest.”

In the past, Coburn has come down hard on Congress for agreeing to fund grants from the National Science Foundation that included $516,000 for scientists to develop an eco-ATM that will give out cash in exchange for old cell phones and other electronics as well as another $349,862 for a study that checks out of the effects of meditation and self-reflection for math, science and engineers majors.

NSF spokeswoman Dana Topousis has defended the grants to FoxNews.com in the past, and says Coburn shouldn’t get caught up quirky names of projects but instead try to see beyond it.

She pointed to one project in 1996 called “BackRub,” a search engine research project by Stanford University students Larry Page and Sergey Brin that eventually would go on to become Google.

I'm not sure I believe that there would be no Google if the govt hadn't provided the grant.

If NJ wants to promote its blueberries, why doesn't NJ do that?

I can recall the issue of promoting Christmas trees coming up before. Wonder why the atheists aren't up in arms about that? More and more people are turning to re-usable artificial trees. Isn't that good for the carbon footprint? We could probably use the wood from the trees for something more durable than a decoration that lasts just a couple of weeks ... and ends up as compost. I'd bet some people even burn them ... more carbon! Where are the environmentalists?

Gerry Clinchy
10-01-2013, 02:41 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/01/epa-secret-agent-con-man-pleads-guilty-then-pleads-fifth/
Remember this fella? He defrauded taxpayers out of about $1 million by telling the people at the EPA that he was working for the CIA one day a week. He even took 6 mos. off saying he was working for the CIA. And for 8 years of this, nobody ever checked with the CIA.

He's going to pay back $800,000, plus an additional $500,000. Where will he get the $ to pay this? He's also supposed to serve about 3 years in prison. For the $800,000 he stole, that works out to a little bit over $250K a year. Where will he get the $ to pay this amount of money? Maybe he can sell the vacation home in MA (where he stayed when he told his boss he was in Pakistan).

Now he pleads guilty, but also pleads the 5th Amendment. Does it make you wonder how much more he filched that the govt never did find? One question Issa asked was if this fella knew of any other employees running similar scams? Did he share his cleverness with any other people? Or was it someone else who shared this idea with him? It has doesn't say exactly when suspicion occurred, but it's now 13 years since it started. Wonder how much paid leave he got? (like Lois Lerner).

The article mentioned no internal controls to avoid more of this. So, maybe the govt agencies are plain incompetent.

Makes some sense to me that if the EPA could function just fine on this guy's 4-day week, then maybe the EPA doesn't need all its present employees working 5-day weeks? Decrease their budget next year by $800,000, and have them pay more attention to how their employees spend their work weeks? And pay 1/2 of that $ saved to the whistle-blower who points out such fraud.

Gerry Clinchy
10-31-2013, 01:04 AM
63% error in Medicaid eligibility in Illinois ...

But one story that will get very little press, even within the state of Illinois, is that the private contractor hired to examine eligibility for the state’s Medicaid recipients, through a program called the Illinois Medicaid Redetermination Project (http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=62971), has found that more than half of Medicaid recipients reviewed to date are not eligible for Medicaid (http://illinoispolicy.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMRPReport-10-21.pdf) and that another 11 percent should have their benefits changed (which means reduced, or to be removed from Medicaid and re-enrolled in another less generous program.)

As the Illinois Policy Institute (http://illinoispolicy.org/nearly-200k-illinois-medicaid-enrollees-found-ineligible-for-the-program/) notes, “Overall, the review has yielded an eligibility error rate of a whopping 63 percent.”

a massively expensive, fraud-filled expansion of a government health insurance system which some studies show actually leads to worse health outcomes (http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704758904576188280858303612) than having no insurance at all.
http://spectator.org/blog/2013/10/30/obamacare-medicaid-and-fraud

Gerry Clinchy
12-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Back in 2008, the State Dept spent about $200K on booze. One would accept the fact that some of it was for entertaining, and some of it was gifts. In Sept. 2012 the State Dept spent $180K for booze ... just that month. The total bill for booze for 2012 was $400K. So ... they spent 1/2 their booze money just before the govt shutdown! Does the State Dept have a line item for booze? Maybe it gets lost in the "entertainment" budget, and they couldn't figure out a way to give enough parties in one month?

Even sadder, is that about $500K a year is left behind at TSA checkpoints each year in loose change. Under current law, the TSA gets to keep it for airport security projects. One Congressman proposes that the money be re-directed

The House on Tuesday approved legislation sponsored by Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., that would require the TSA to transfer unclaimed money recovered from airport security checkpoints to nonprofit organizations that operate airport programs in support of the military.
Personally, I think it might better go to Wounded Warrior Project; or toward keeping the commissaries operating.

However, Rep. Miller was told:

Miller's bill was recently evaluated by the Congressional Budget Office, which said the agency is expected to spend unclaimed money gradually over the next several years.

According to an earlier report in Bloomberg Businessweek (http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-11-29/lost-change-really-adds-up-at-the-airport-security-line), the CBO estimates of the bill said the proposal would cost $1 million to implement.

“I was pretty aggravated that they said it was going to cost money to give money away,” Miller told the magazine.

One might think that a couple of strokes of a computer keyboard could transfer that money to the Dept of Vet Affairs for disbursement once or twice a year to an approved group that benefits our troops or veterans?

Certainly, it shouldn't take more than some such electronic transfer to apply those funds to paying down the deficit? Maybe dump it into Medicare or SS? Just about anything would sound better than buying new uniforms for the TSA.

Henlee
12-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Your looking at it as money already in the bank. First the agent at the scene would have to collect the money. That would have to be brought presumably to a supervisors office and turned in. The amount collected would have to be logged and saved so that anyone who had the desire to collect it could. They would have to then have to make a deposit and that is going to be a person physically taking it to the bank or an armored truck picking it up. Then after whatever time they hold it for it has to be moved to the proper final account. The TSA already has more invested in this money then it is even worth. Why not let them offset the costs by adding it to their budget?

caryalsobrook
12-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Your looking at it as money already in the bank. First the agent at the scene would have to collect the money. That would have to be brought presumably to a supervisors office and turned in. The amount collected would have to be logged and saved so that anyone who had the desire to collect it could. They would have to then have to make a deposit and that is going to be a person physically taking it to the bank or an armored truck picking it up. Then after whatever time they hold it for it has to be moved to the proper final account. The TSA already has more invested in this money then it is even worth. Why not let them offset the costs by adding it to their budget?

You think it might offset their Booze expense???:p

Henlee
12-04-2013, 01:00 AM
I think booze is just a tool of the trade.

caryalsobrook
12-04-2013, 07:01 AM
I think booze is just a tool of the trade.

Sort of like bribes or do you drink a lot?

Down East Labs 217
12-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Interesting how $ in the Fed budget was found to help out Detroit ... $100 million.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/09/obama_administration_finds_100_million_for_detroit .html

And they move towards Bankruptcy anyways. More big government money wasted. The Big Government wonders why we are losing faith in them to manage anything. Another example why.

My opinion

Richard

Gerry Clinchy
12-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Your looking at it as money already in the bank. First the agent at the scene would have to collect the money. That would have to be brought presumably to a supervisors office and turned in. The amount collected would have to be logged and saved so that anyone who had the desire to collect it could. They would have to then have to make a deposit and that is going to be a person physically taking it to the bank or an armored truck picking it up.

Isn't all of this already done to get it into the TSA's bank account? So, these costs would not be additional to what is already being done with the $ collected.

Then after whatever time they hold it for it has to be moved to the proper final account.

Once it's in a govt account, I can imagine that it takes more than an electronic transfer. Nobody is moving armored cars of $ from the Treasury to different banks for disbursement to agencies. OTOH, if the govt can't do that efficiently, we are surely in deep doo-doo with the overall efficiency and competency in govt.

The TSA already has more invested in this money then it is even worth.

If this is so then, they could just donate the $ to a local foodbank daily or weekly. The largest amount was for Miami, $36,000+ for the year. That works out to less than $100/day (based on 365 days). Let the charity take responsibility for transporting the money, rather than govt.

The article doesn't mention the exact process for the money. I would imagine that amounts less than $10 could be exempted from "holding" for reclamation by the individual.

Why not let them offset the costs by adding it to their budget?

I can agree with your suggested option as well. If the TSA has about $500K/year of "found" money to add to their coffers, then they can reduce their budget by that amount.

In truth, I wouldn't be surprised if the recorded amount is less than the true amount. I'm sure some of the $ simply "gets lost" before it reaches the TSA's bank account.

I think it's a really big problem that because govt is always talking in terms of billions and hundreds of billions, they lose focus that those billions are made up of a 1/2 million here and a 1/2 million there.

Gerry Clinchy
12-05-2013, 04:55 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/5/ny-prosecutors-russian-diplomats-bilked-15-million/
I find this tremendously offensive ... as citizens are told to be compassionate and pay a little more for O-care AND expanded Medicaid, they went and paid a bunch of taxpayer bucks to Russian diplomats! To rub salt into the wound, they can't even get it back since they have diplomatic immunity!

Now this is only the Russians they found doing this. Think there might be a few more diplomats who have gamed the system?

I'm sure Obama had no idea until he read it in the paper ... and he will surely get right on it and fix it. (sarcasm)

Gerry Clinchy
12-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Medicare has been over-paying for breast cancer drug 77% of the time.

“Because Herceptin is supplied in a multiuse vial, providers should bill Medicare (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/medicare/) only for the actual dose of Herceptin administered to the patient. Providers should not bill Medicare (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/medicare/) for a full vial of Herceptin unless the patient actually received a full vial of the drug,” said Leslie Preuss (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/leslie-preuss/), a senior inspector general auditor who helped lead the investigation. “These improper billing practices cost the Medicare (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/medicare/) programhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/12/golden-hammer-medicares-half-empty-problem-with-bi/#) millions of dollars and may have subjected cancer patients to higher co-pays.”

Investigators suspect the government overpaid on 77 percent of the drug purchases because the oversight process wasn’t good enough to catch the mistakes.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/12/golden-hammer-medicares-half-empty-problem-with-bi/#ixzz2na51BYj0

The inspector general is concerned that the same purchasing problem could be present in bills for other drugs.

“Herceptin is one of many multiuse drugs,” investigators said. “Therefore, the problem of provider billing for full vials may exist with other such drugs.”

Gerry Clinchy
12-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Coburn's waste report (and this doesn't even count the fraud that may be present in govt programs)

DOD grounded the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels,4 yet still spent $631.4 million to construct aircraft they never intend to fly.5

The Army National Guard spent $10 million on Superman movie tie-ins while plans were being made to cut the strength of the Guard by 8,000 soldiers, the real supermen and women who fight for truth, justice and the American way.

As the Smithsonian was closing exhibits at its world renowned museums,6 the federal government was funding the creation of “play zones” at the National Museum of Play, an inventory of toys at the Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls and Toys, and a website celebrating romance novels.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) cut housing assistance for the disabled elderly while subsidizing thousands of risky mortgages, including more than 100 homes (that cost in excess of half-a-million dollars each) within walking distance of the ocean in Hawaii. And while nutrition assistance was being reduced for many needy families, USDA was spending money on celebrity chef cooks-offs and running up the taxpayer tab on Bloody Marys, sweet potato vodka, and red wine tastings from here to China.
The Department of Interior was counting sheep with high-tech unmanned aerial drones7 after delaying the opening of some national landmarks and closing others early.

NASA ultimately paid more than 17,700 employees—97 percent of its staff— to do nothing for 16 days as a result of the shutdown.8 These hardworking employees, caught in factors outside of their control, should not be confused with the “pillownauts” the space agency hired to lie around in bed and do nothing for 70 days.9
Even the government shutdown could not shut down Obamacare, but the failure of its $319 million website nearly did.10 Millions of dollars more were spent to urge taxpayers to visit the website that did not work—at whiskey festivals and on TV with ads featuring Elvis impersonators. Yet, even the hundreds of thousands who had their plans canceled struggled to sign up for the plans they did not want in the first place. At least one dog was able to enroll, however.

There are hundreds of examples of government waste inside this report, (http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/pressreleases?ContentRecord_id=e7359436-1572-414e-8acc-0222cad1c7d5&ContentType_id=d741b7a7-7863-4223-9904-8cb9378aa03a&Group_id=7a55cb96-4639-4dac-8c0c-99a4a227bd3a)which is 177 pages long, but here are my top ten favorites:
1. $914,000 of your money was given to The Popular Romance Project to "explore the fascinating, often contradictory origins and influences of popular romance as told in novels, films, comics, advice books, songs, and internet fan fiction, taking a global perspective while looking back across time as far as the ancient Greeks." The was used to pay for programs like "Love Between the Covers" and "The Past and Future of the Romance Novel."

2. The Department of Defense wasted $7 billion of your money by destroying more than 170 million pounds of useable military equipment and vehicles. According to the report, a decision was made to destroy the equipment rather than shipping it home or selling it.
3. The Department of Health and Human Services has spent $319 million of your dollars (so far) on an Obamacare website that doesn't work and that people aren't interested in using. This money was also spent on ridiculous advertisements for Obamacare. Colorado received $20 million for their advertisement campaign featuring an Elvis impersonator. Right now, fewer than 4,000 people in the state have singed up for Obamacare.
4. The National Institute for Health spent $325,525 in a study showing wives should "calm down" to make their husbands and marriages happier.
5. $65 million dollars in "emergency" Hurricane Sandy funds were spent on tourism television ads. Paging Chris Christie. (http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/04/30/chris-christie-tries-to-rewrite-history-of-hurricane-sandy-relief-bill-n1583062) "Instead of rushing aid to the people who need it most, state-level officials in New York and New Jersey spent the money on tourism-related TV advertisements," the report states.
6. The State Department spent $630,000 for "likes" and "fans" on Facebook and Twitter.
7. The government spends $1.5 billion to keep the lights on in empty and hardly used federal buildings they should be selling.
8. $3.6 billion: the amount of money tax cheating federal employees owe to the IRS.
9. The National Science Foundation spent $150,000 to study how to save the human race from zombies.
10. The Environmetal Protection Agency spend $479,000 for what is described as a "frat house" in Maryland.
"As you glance at each of the entries presented in this report, place your personal political persuasion aside and ask yourself: Do each of these represent a real national priority that should be spared from budget cuts or are these excesses that should have been eliminated in order to spare deeper cuts to those services and missions that should be performed by the federal government?" Senator Coburn said in the report. "When it comes to spending your money, those in Washington tend to see no waste, speak no waste, and cut no waste."

Next time you hear politicians whining about spending cuts and fear mongering about Social Security checks not going out as a result of "draconian policies," please remind them of these examples (http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/pressreleases?ContentRecord_id=e7359436-1572-414e-8acc-0222cad1c7d5&ContentType_id=d741b7a7-7863-4223-9904-8cb9378aa03a&Group_id=7a55cb96-4639-4dac-8c0c-99a4a227bd3a) that add up to billions and billions of dollar in waste. Also as a friendly reality check, the National Debt is $17 trillion and growing.

Gerry Clinchy
12-17-2013, 08:46 PM
More from Coburn's waste report:

The Department of Treasury “furloughed 21,751 non-excepted/non-essential employees with an annual salary of $100,000.00 or more during the government shutdown.”

The Fed govt pays "non-essential" people that much? What do they pay the essential people?
Coburn adds this comment:

Many who perform what most of us consider essential occupations earn on average far less than $100,000. A full-time public school teacher, for example, is paid about $56,000 a year.

A registered nurse is compensated about $68,000 a year.

And a police officer is paid about $58,000 a year.

At least six state governors are also paid less than $100,000, including the chief executive of Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Maine, and Oregon.
Any federal employee collecting an annual salary of $100,000 or more should be performing essential work and considered exempt from furlough during a government shutdown. Likewise, Congress which is expected to perform essential work should not be paid when it fails to pass an annual budget as required by law

This year, the Army National Guard teamed up with Superman on a $10 million “Soldier of Steel” promotional campaign, intended “to increase awareness and consideration of service opportunities in the National Guard.”
The recruitment ads “dovetailed with the release of the Warner Bros. blockbuster movie, ‘Man of Steel,’” the latest Superman movie and, strangely enough, with a downsizing of the National Guard

This year more than 100 individuals or families received loan guarantees for $500,000 or more from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to purchase a residence in Hawaii.

If these new homeowners later cannot afford their new homes, it’s no problem; the federal government will protect the banks from losses by repaying 90 percent of the loans.

These and thousands of other loan guarantees were issued this year by the USDA Rural Housing Service (RHS) Section 502 loan programs. The “Section 502 guarantee program and Section 502 direct loan program provide loans to low and moderate income individuals for the purchase of modest housing in a rural area. The programs had authority to guarantee $24 billion in privately sourced loans and make $900 million in new direct loans for FY2013.”

Coburn also comments that at the same time, USDA is actually cutting funds for housing for the poor, elderly and disabled in rural areas.

You can read the whole report at
http://www.scribd.com/doc/192039604/Wastebook-2013FINAL

Henlee
12-18-2013, 03:36 AM
4. The National Institute for Health spent $325,525 in a study showing wives should "calm down" to make their husbands and marriages happier.

In all fairness, that was worth every cent.

Henlee
12-18-2013, 03:59 AM
Many who perform what most of us consider essential occupations earn on average far less than $100,000. A full-time public school teacher, for example, is paid about $56,000 a year.

With all the scientific, legal and high education jobs that would be needed to safeguard the nations food supply I have no problem believing that. Non-Essential does not by the way translate to able to carry out the function for which it was designed. As an example the CDC shut down its monitoring for food borne illness and replaced it with someone to call in staff if an outbreak had occurred. Fortunately there wasn't an outbreak, but if it had the recalls for bad product would have been delayed days at least increasing the amount of people made ill or died.

DOD grounded the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels,4 yet still spent $631.4 million to construct aircraft they never intend to fly.5

Is this in regards to the C 130s? Both Sec def. Gates and Panetta has asked congress to stop sending them these planes because they have more than they can use, but congress has refused. Crazy stuff going on there.

These hardworking employees, caught in factors outside of their control, should not be confused with the “pillownauts” the space agency hired to lie around in bed and do nothing for 70 days.

If I recall this was for a study that will ultimately allow us to send a manned mission to Mars.

There is a ton of silliness that tax dollars are spent on, so don't take my defense of a couple of the line items as less than me agreeing with you, because I do on most of this stuff.

mjh345
12-18-2013, 12:38 PM

In all fairness, that was worth every cent.Looking for a Stepford wife, are ya Henlee?:)

Gerry Clinchy
12-19-2013, 12:02 PM
I never even knew that taxpayers helped support the R and D conventions! Wonder if any $ was allocated to any other parties' conventions?

However, this new bill is a step in the right direction: (newsletter from my Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick)

This week, I joined with a bipartisan majority in the House to pass the Gabriella Miller Kids First Research Act[H.R. 2019] (http://fitzpatrick.congressnewsletter.net/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=2100111089.376430.471&gen=1&mailing_linkid=12586). The bill, which I co-sponsored, prioritizes taxpayer funding for scientific research of pediatric diseases and disorders such as cancer and autism by eliminating taxpayer funding for the Republican and Democratic national conventions.

Ask any parent – our kids always come first. This bill puts the critical need of increasing research funding for pediatric diseases ahead of politics.

A bill has also been introduced to "correct" volunteer fire departments from being considered "employers" under Obamacare. PA has a LOT of volunteer firefighters.

As it stands right now, volunteer fire departments are potentially considered employers, and their firefighters as paid employees – meaning, they’re subject to the same mandates and penalties found in the president’s healthcare law for businesses.

...I asked the IRS to clarify the rules – but two months later, I still haven’t heard back. That’s why I helped introduce the Protecting Volunteer Firefighters and Emergency Responders Act [H.R. 3685] (http://fitzpatrick.congressnewsletter.net/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=2100111089.376430.471&gen=1&mailing_linkid=12599) that ensures the IRS cannot misinterpret Obamacare and hurt our volunteer first responders.

Gerry Clinchy
12-19-2013, 12:06 PM

In all fairness, that was worth every cent.
We needed a study to tell us that?

Just think what would happen if both spouses remained calm!

Gerry Clinchy
12-19-2013, 12:51 PM
HHS is complaining it can't keep track of all the media views of its actions. Now we can better understand why Obama has such trouble "keeping up" with what's going on.

So guess what they're doing? That's right, they're "collecting the names of private companies that can produce a customized daily digest of news better and more complete than the one HHS aides currently compile." Got a PR firm? If so, here's news you can use: "Interested small businesses have until Dec. 23 to tell HHS if they can handle the job."

So the agency that presumes to control your medical care isn't even competent enough to read the newspapers and summarize their content--and they're turning to the private sector for help. Oh well, it could be worse. With this crowd, it's a wonder they're not calling on Congress to enact "comprehensive media reform."

My God! They can't read a newspaper, surf the internet, and with all the NSA's info-gathering abilities they have no clue what's going on? Guess they never heard of Drudge Report? Talk about disconnected and living in a bubble! If many on this Forum think they know better than govt, it appears that may be an accurate assumption. Another good case for term limits AND bureaucrat limits as well.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303949504579264102918070502
This is the same link to WSJ given in another thread. I just happened to scroll down to the next article.

swampcollielover
12-19-2013, 03:02 PM
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/heatherginsberg/2013/09/14/social-security-overpays-13-billion-in-benefits-n1699691

Why is no bureaucrat ever held accountable for their errors? They never get fired or even "replaced". What are the chances that someone in the private sector would keep his job if had "inexcusable" errors like this?

Gerry, unfortunately if the voters don't fire these guys, the just keep on stealing from us....it is up to us..

Henlee
12-20-2013, 03:10 AM
I am all for eliminating money for party conventions. I got some odd views on political parties. I believe they are necessary for organization, but I think they ought to have no government involvement at all. I don't think primary and caucuses votes ought to be done on the government dime. It is an internal party matter who they run and should be decided at their own venue. I don't think the name of a political party ought to be allowed on ballots. If your voters don't know who there party is running then maybe they not ought to be voting. That would also eliminate straight party votes also. I also do not like it when the ballot identifies the incumbent, once again don't vote if you don't know. I know I am in the minority on this one, but there are to many tricks that the D's and the R's use to keep us at a two party system.

swampcollielover
12-20-2013, 09:54 AM
I am all for eliminating money for party conventions. I got some odd views on political parties. I believe they are necessary for organization, but I think they ought to have no government involvement at all. I don't think primary and caucuses votes ought to be done on the government dime. It is an internal party matter who they run and should be decided at their own venue. I don't think the name of a political party ought to be allowed on ballots. If your voters don't know who there party is running then maybe they not ought to be voting. That would also eliminate straight party votes also. I also do not like it when the ballot identifies the incumbent, once again don't vote if you don't know. I know I am in the minority on this one, but there are to many tricks that the D's and the R's use to keep us at a two party system.

Henlee....I might agree with you on some of this, if, the political parties did not have a written political platform...using that platform you can identify which party to support.....of course based on the extremely large egos of politicians, they do not follow their platforms, nor do they try to "Represent" their constituents...cause "they know what is best for us...."

Henlee
12-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Henlee....I might agree with you on some of this, if, the political parties did not have a written political platform...using that platform you can identify which party to support.....of course based on the extremely large egos of politicians, they do not follow their platforms, nor do they try to "Represent" their constituents...cause "they know what is best for us...."

I agree with you also. I think that is why it is more important to vote in the person than the party because of how they choose to implement the platform.

BonMallari
12-20-2013, 01:06 PM
I agree with you also. I think that is why it is more important to vote in the person than the party because of how they choose to implement the platform.

But thats what happened in the last two elections, the country voted for a personality, they packaged a product and the majority bought the product like they buy laundry soap...and then they tried it and even though the product promised that their laundry would be fresher smelling and their shirts would be brighter, the fact is its not a superior product, its not even a good product...If we vote for a person like you suggest we could end up with a madman in the oval office, they would have no one to answer to because they didnt promise to follow a particular platform or agenda, they could basically sell out to the highest bidder...in other words its exactly what is going on with this country now

Our politicians dont feel like they need to answer to any political party, they answer to lobbyists and special interest groups..They need to answer to US, and the only way to do that is to vote them out and get them to take notice

swampcollielover
12-20-2013, 03:16 PM
But thats what happened in the last two elections, the country voted for a personality, they packaged a product and the majority bought the product like they buy laundry soap...and then they tried it and even though the product promised that their laundry would be fresher smelling and their shirts would be brighter, the fact is its not a superior product, its not even a good product...If we vote for a person like you suggest we could end up with a madman in the oval office, they would have no one to answer to because they didnt promise to follow a particular platform or agenda, they could basically sell out to the highest bidder...in other words its exactly what is going on with this country now

Our politicians dont feel like they need to answer to any political party, they answer to lobbyists and special interest groups..They need to answer to US, and the only way to do that is to vote them out and get them to take notice

Lobbyist...Special Interest groups are all the same...but what most don't realize is that we all support these groups, All Unions, NRA, Religious Organizations, AARP, Retired Vets, etc. etc....also if you have a 401K or own Mutual Funds, odds are that some of the industries you invest in have lobbyists....my point is most Americans purposefully or accidentally support these groups...bottom line is our politicians are linked to these groups for financial support but they recognize these groups are made up primarily of Americans....

Gerry Clinchy
12-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Coburn's report doesn't even deal with stuff like this:
http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2013/12/19/surprise-irs-vendors-owe-hundreds-of-millions-in-back-taxes/

Altogether, 1,168 IRS vendors owed back taxes totaling $589 million as of July 2012, according to the report released Tuesday. Only 50 were in a payment plan to pay off their debt.“

Henlee
12-21-2013, 08:32 PM
I still believe in political parties and I do think they ought to organize put together a platform and run on it. I also believe that these parties can choose their candidates at their own venues without holding a statewide election. I also believe that straight ticket voting offers an unfair advantage to political parties. If the party does its job right then it will put up a person who will vote the platform. If you prefer then only registered party members would then have a vote in the primaries and the rank and file would have the ultimate say in who was the candidate. You should at that point have a more pure candidate.

BonMallari
12-22-2013, 03:21 AM

I still believe in political parties and I do think they ought to organize put together a platform and run on it. I also believe that these parties can choose their candidates at their own venues without holding a statewide election. I also believe that straight ticket voting offers an unfair advantage to political parties. If the party does its job right then it will put up a person who will vote the platform. If you prefer then only registered party members would then have a vote in the primaries and the rank and file would have the ultimate say in who was the candidate. You should at that point have a more pure candidate.

are there two of you signing in on your account ? or do you enjoy arguing with yourself ?

I am having trouble deciding which one of you I like and which one to put on ignore :razz:

Henlee
12-22-2013, 07:58 PM
are there two of you signing in on your account ? or do you enjoy arguing with yourself ?

I am having trouble deciding which one of you I like and which one to put on ignore :razz:

Your misunderstanding what I mean. What is now primaries is party business and should not be an open to the public vote.

Henlee
12-22-2013, 08:19 PM

here I was more discussing about straight party ticket voting. I feel that there is a pretty big difference between a John McCain and a Newt Gingrich and that voting for just the platform in this case is not a good idea. A straight party ticket votes could take votes away from a third party candidates if the voter was not a cruise control. I think it is an unfair advantage to the two existing parties and ought to stop. Hope that clears up and misunderstandings.

Gerry Clinchy
01-11-2014, 09:27 PM
http://freebeacon.com/congress-turns-spotlight-to-government-waste/
Some Ds and some Rs both acknowledging the problem of govt wasteful spending. A small point of light in the tunnel?

mjh345
01-11-2014, 10:21 PM
http://freebeacon.com/congress-turns-spotlight-to-government-waste/
Some Ds and some Rs both acknowledging the problem of govt wasteful spending. A small point of light in the tunnel?Getting them to acknowledge the problem is nothing new. Getting them to do something about it would be

Gerry Clinchy
01-12-2014, 06:44 PM
mjh, that was the VERY thing that Coburn said (as quoted in that article) ... "why don't we actually DO something about this?"

swampcollielover
01-13-2014, 11:35 AM
here I was more discussing about straight party ticket voting. I feel that there is a pretty big difference between a John McCain and a Newt Gingrich and that voting for just the platform in this case is not a good idea. A straight party ticket votes could take votes away from a third party candidates if the voter was not a cruise control. I think it is an unfair advantage to the two existing parties and ought to stop. Hope that clears up and misunderstandings.

Voting for a third party candidate in the primaries is one thing, but voting for a third party in the main election only gives one vote (in kind) to the party you dislike the most.....history proves this two be true....most recently when Bill Clinton was re-elected, without the splitting of Republicans by Ross Perot, Clinton would of went down.....! Beware of third parties in the General Elections.....

Franco
01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Supporting the current two corrupt political parties is nothing more than supporting the status quo! They any shot we have for any real reform is by thinking differently when we go to the polls.

There is a huge need for other voices in the debates!

Henlee
01-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Supporting the current two corrupt political parties is nothing more than supporting the status quo! They any shot we have for any real reform is by thinking differently when we go to the polls.

There is a huge need for other voices in the debates!

Our system of government has all but killed the possibility of viable third parties. The deck is to far stacked against them. Everything from congressional districting to how the ballots are printed. There will never be a critical mass of a third party winning to change the way politics are played in this country. There is the free state project where once 20,000 people pledge, they will move to New Hampshire and take over state politics. That is about the only way.

Franco
01-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Our system of government has all but killed the possibility of viable third parties. The deck is to far stacked against them. Everything from congressional districting to how the ballots are printed. There will never be a critical mass of a third party winning to change the way politics are played in this country. There is the free state project where once 20,000 people pledge, they will move to New Hampshire and take over state politics. That is about the only way.

The power is still with the vote. Though both the Dems and Repubs attempt to squash other voices, there is nothing more powerful than ideas. Especially, ideas and a political movement which time has come. Just look at the dissatisfaction among the people today! The time is right for a political overhaul. Look at the growth in the Independent movement due to the Dems moving further left and the Repubs moving further to the right. People can be sheeple and follow the Repubs and Dems into oblivion or they can push for change even if that means agitating the media monopoly and two party system.

Henlee
01-13-2014, 12:53 PM
The power is still with the vote. Though both the Dems and Repubs attempt to squash other voices, there is nothing more powerful than ideas. Especially, ideas and a political movement which time has come. Just look at the dissatisfaction among the people today! The time is right for a political overhaul. Look at the growth in the Independent movement due to the Dems moving further left and the Repubs moving further to the right. People can be sheeple and follow the Repubs and Dems into oblivion or they can push for change even if that means, agitating the media monopoly and two party system.

Maybe I am just a Cynic, but after looking at how congressional districts are drawn up, I don't think they have a chance. You can win the odd election here and there, but not ever enough to get that critical mass to protect a seat during the redistricting process.

swampcollielover
01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Maybe I am just a Cynic, but after looking at how congressional districts are drawn up, I don't think they have a chance. You can win the odd election here and there, but not ever enough to get that critical mass to protect a seat during the redistricting process.

Henlee...good comments but unfortunately some people will go to their graves in denial of this reality.....unfortunately; it is these types that are killing our country and letting the Marxist Democrats get elected! Even their most successful Congressman understood this and ran as a Democrat...pretty bad when they will not follow their own party leaders!

Franco
01-13-2014, 05:56 PM

I think you are ignoring the growing will of the people and the dissatisfaction with the two Parties that have created the mess. . The Dems and Repubs can play all they want with redistricting. But, when they can't win the hearts and minds of the voters, what do they have?

Henlee
01-14-2014, 03:13 AM
I think you are ignoring the growing will of the people and the dissatisfaction with the two Parties that have created the mess. . The Dems and Repubs can play all they want with redistricting. But, when they can't win the hearts and minds of the voters, what do they have?

I hope I am wrong. I don't like the system. I have put a few posts on here discussing the best way to take it apart to allow more ideas. Maybe in the future something can happen. Now I guess there is a couple of options. The free state project which I mentioned earlier I think is viable. There is also Hijacking a party much like the tea party did. However, just winning a series of elections outright? Almost half of all ballots are voted straight party. What a hurdle right there that is half of all the votes without the voter having to even think about what they are doing. They don't even have to know who is running. So ideas vs. convenience? Like I said I am cynical, but it is deserved when it comes to election rules.

menmon
01-14-2014, 07:41 AM
Now tell me where government is at fault here? Some scum bag broke the law and was sentenced to 7 years. I'm pretty sure he will not commit this crime again. So people are steeling government money from the food stamp program, that has been going on since inception, as they steel from every government funded program or project. They steel from federal, state and locally funded programs and projects too.

So since someone stole from the foodstamp program we should let people go hungry since this justifies doing away with the foodstamp program so you don't have to pay as much tax.

Thank God Jesus does not turn his back on us when we still, lie and cheat him.

coachmo
01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Menmon, I know this is off topic but were you really telling the truth on one of your previous posts when you boasted about having a 146 IQ? I mean come on "steel" and "steal" do NOT have the same meaning although they do sound alike and "still" does not even sound like "steal" yet you used it in place of "steal" in your last post! Just wondering.

menmon
01-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Menmon, I know this is off topic but were you really telling the truth on one of your previous posts when you boasted about having a 146 IQ? I mean come on "steel" and "steal" do NOT have the same meaning although they do sound alike and "still" does not even sound like "steal" yet you used it in place of "steal" in your last post! Just wondering.

That is what I scored....it most likely has to do with the math I can do as oppose to the spelling

coachmo
01-14-2014, 03:39 PM
I believe you! I was only joking around; however, I still don't agree with you much from a political standpoint.

Gerry Clinchy
02-22-2014, 11:02 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/21/veterans-wait-weeks-hearing-aids-veterans-affairs/

“Without a timely recording system, staff cannot adequately respond to or track inquiries from veterans and medical facilities concerning the status of a hearing aid pending repair services,” the IG said in a report released Thursday.

DALC (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/denver-acquisition-and-logistics-center/) said that five of their 21 technician positions for working on the hearing aids were vacant for much of 2012, and that the repair lab hasn’t been fully staffed since February 2011.
“Medical facilities’ audiology staff attributed the delays to inadequate staffing to meet an increased workload,” the IG said.
Meanwhile, the workload has been steadily ticking upward, with 358,000 repairs of hearing aids in FY 2011 and 394,000 in FY 2012.

Further along in the article, it appears to indicate that they are short on the staff needed to repair the hearing aids. That seems to indicate that there actually is funding for those positions ... so where did the money go that wasn't spent to fill these positions?

Does it really take a high level of training just to keep a record of the incoming hearing aids for repair? They just aren't doing even that part!

Govt is so big do we even know who is responsible for going over the budget line-by-line to see how the money is being spent? Much as Henlee may feel that telling wives to calm down is a worthy task, we've certainly already seen that there are many, many things that are being funded that are not the "responsibility" of the Fed govt. Even Ryan, who is supposed to be such an expert on budget, may not actually know about these myriad frivolous items unless someone is specifically assigned to them.

If someone was responsible for cataloging the the waste/fraud and stupidness included in the budget, then when there is a call for decreasing funds for various agencies, one could actually assign where the cuts are being made. If the GSA has a budget for conferences, and they wasted $850K on one frivolous conference, who could fight cutting the GSA budget by $800K the following year? Actually, cut the budget by 75% and use the other 25% for "watchdogs" to prevent further abuse. When one considers the waste/fraud in Medicare and Medicaid billings, 25% of that could pay for a lot of oversight.

charly_t
02-22-2014, 12:49 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/21/veterans-wait-weeks-hearing-aids-veterans-affairs/

Further along in the article, it appears to indicate that they are short on the staff needed to repair the hearing aids. That seems to indicate that there actually is funding for those positions ... so where did the money go that wasn't spent to fill these positions?

Does it really take a high level of training just to keep a record of the incoming hearing aids for repair? They just aren't doing even that part!

Govt is so big do we even know who is responsible for going over the budget line-by-line to see how the money is being spent? Much as Henlee may feel that telling wives to calm down is a worthy task, we've certainly already seen that there are many, many things that are being funded that are not the "responsibility" of the Fed govt. Even Ryan, who is supposed to be such an expert on budget, may not actually know about these myriad frivolous items unless someone is specifically assigned to them.

If someone was responsible for cataloging the the waste/fraud and stupidness included in the budget, then when there is a call for decreasing funds for various agencies, one could actually assign where the cuts are being made. If the GSA has a budget for conferences, and they wasted $850K on one frivolous conference, who could fight cutting the GSA budget by $800K the following year? Actually, cut the budget by 75% and use the other 25% for "watchdogs" to prevent further abuse. When one considers the waste/fraud in Medicare and Medicaid billings, 25% of that could pay for a lot of oversight.

The old "saying"............."Penney wise and pound foolish" fits our government pretty well.

Gerry Clinchy
03-07-2014, 11:07 PM
The former Director of the Blackfeet Tribe’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program has plead guilty to embezzlement and fraud after stealing nearly $300,000 from the federally funded program.

Between 2006, when Sandra Marie Sanderville became director, to her dismissal in 2010, Sanderville devised schemes in which she would overpay TANF beneficiaries, who would then cash the illicit checks and give a portion back to Sanderville. She would also provide checks to people who were not eligible for the program and receive portions back from that as well.

She later told investigators that she misled the beneficiaries by telling them that the extra money was from a grant or another fund and that the money they gave to her was going back to TANF.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/07/former-welfare-office-head-with-gambling-habit-embezzles-nearly-300k/#ixzz2vLAWLZMp

Another example of how $75,000/year (roughly) can "disappear" and it doesn't get noticed. Then this person got paid for over a year while the justice system worked on the case. Maybe if such embezzlers knew that income would stop at the time of indictment, they would be more careful about stealing?

Every time I hear one of these stories, I think of how many others get away with their scams.

Gerry Clinchy
03-08-2014, 11:33 PM
http://americanthinker.com/blog/2014/03/where_did_all_that_extra_obamacare_money_go.html
Evidently, there was no money appropriated for "implementation" for O-care. The administration finally did come up with about $1,131,000,000 that was "scraped together" from other funding. However, an accounting for how this $ was spent is not yet available.

So, more has been spent on O-care than was directly appropriated for the program. That would sort of mess up the CBO's assessment of how much O-care is really costing.

The Obama administration got most of the money last year from Sen. Tom Harkin’s cherished Prevention and Public Health Fund. But the report also told us more about the other couch cushions — as the administration pulled money from various all-purpose department funds to help launch the law’s new health insurance exchanges.

A one-page (https://www.politicopro.com/f/?f=24607&inb) table from the official explanation (http://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Agency-Information/PerformanceBudget/Downloads/FY2015-CJ-Final.pdf) of the administration’s HHS budget shows that federal officials diverted more than $450 million from that prevention fund — which Republicans call a “slush fund” — to finance Obamacare work, including building HealthCare.gov.

They also pulled $300 million from something called the Non-Recurring Expenses Fund, an account that allows an agency to use money left over from prior years for one-time expenses.

And they found $268 million from the general program operations account at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services — the main agency within HHS that’s implementing the health law — plus another $113 million from Sebelius’s “transfer authority.”

The numbers appear on page 349 of the budget justification, (http://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Agency-Information/PerformanceBudget/Downloads/FY2015-CJ-Final.pdf) which lays out the reasoning for President Barack Obama’s latest budget request. It’s there because the omnibus spending bill signed in January required (https://www.politicopro.com/story/healthcare/?id=31372) HHS to use that report to detail its Obamacare spending.

What we don’t know: The report doesn’t say anything about how the money was spent — just where it came from. It also doesn’t say how much more there might be from the sources that have been tapped before. That’s likely to make Republicans re-up their demands for greater transparency.

The more $ involved, the easier it is for more of it to slip between the cracks.

Gerry Clinchy
03-17-2014, 12:24 AM
Not sure that it's the govt's job to delve this deeply into dietary habits. I mean, the govt texting you to keep you on your diet seems a bit much.

I also noticed that the committee is stressing carbon footprint as part of their assignment. Stretching things a bit? "The agenda" permeates everything.

The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on Friday emphasized the need for the group to institute “population behavior change” in order to engineer healthier Americans.

Millen said the “potential is vast” for their recommendations, which deal with everything from “sustainability (http://freebeacon.com/meet-the-radicals-creating-the-new-federal-dietary-guidelines/)” in the food supply to “carbon footprints,” food deserts, alcohol consumption, and obesity “interventions.”
Where will the govt get the $ to do "obesity interventions"?

“From our food programs, WIC [Women, Infants, and Children], SNAP, and so forth, and the services that are under the jurisdiction of Health and Human Services, including the Centers for Disease Control, the National Institutes of Health, the U.S. health care system, as well as the public health system, the potential impact of the policy recommendations that emanate from our report are considerable,” she said.
A webcam in every refrigerator, tofu in every pot?

She also said the committee must be aware of “the importance of being culturally sensitive in developing effective interventions” and look into the “home-food environment” and “screen time” for how they influence behavior.
Watch out for the "Pasta Police".

There are five subcommittees within DGAC, one of which deals with “food sustainability” for the first time. During this discussion at the meeting on Friday, Miriam Nelson, a member of the DGAC committee, emphasized the need for the committee to focus on the environment.

“Footprint, you have to actually look at the whole footprint from the farm to fork, so to speak,” Nelson said.

Guess they'll have to hire a few climate change scientists to help them out.

Nelson emphasized that current European research has strongly encouraged “more of a plant-based diet” to address ecological sustainability, but said it is “not strictly a vegetarian diet.”
Does that mean more kale, too?

One example of a behavioral intervention was highlighted during the morning session. Deborah Tate, a cognitive-behavioral psychologist at the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Public Health, suggested ways the government could use text messages to get people to stick to their diet.

In addition to Tate’s research, the NIH also spent $1,479,072 (http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_history.cfm?aid=8062245&icde=19651149) between 2009 and 2011 for a separate study, “TEXT4DIET.”

Gerry Clinchy
03-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Remember that guy who worked at the EPA and took months off by telling his colleagues he was working for the CIA? That story gets even better. He worked on many of the air quality regulations put out by the EPA ... but he had no credentials for that. He got his job at the EPA through a college buddy. And while he worked on this stuff, none of the other "experts" realized Mr. Beale had no scientific background about this stuff. He was paid around $200K/year for his services ... until he ended up in jail, that is.

Beale (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/john-c-beale/) is now in prison on theft charges after admitting he ditched EPA (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/environmental-protection-agency/) work, claiming to be a CIA (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/united-states-central-intelligence-agency/) spy. Republicans say the EPA (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/environmental-protection-agency/) should disclose the underlying science behind the regulatory decisions in which Beale (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/john-c-beale/) took part.

EPA (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/environmental-protection-agency/) officials acknowledged Wednesday that agency officials in Democratic and Republican administrations were duped for years by Beale (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/john-c-beale/), but they defended the regulations on which he worked.

The fact that the scientists and techincal experts working on these regulations couldn't tell that Beale was a fraud should raise alarm bells throughout the agency. Just what is the level of their expertise if he could fool them?
http://americanthinker.com/blog/2014/03/the_story_of_the_fake_spy_writing_air_quality_rule s_at_epa_despite_no_expertise.html