PDA

View Full Version : No Wonder the Postal Service is Going Broke

duckheads
09-23-2013, 10:52 AM
I mailed some filters out to a customer that is roughly 25 miles away and I wanted tracking info. In the email I received showing the travel of the package I couldn't believe how far the package traveled. Package was mailed out of Valparaiso, IN and traveled to Elk Grove Village, IL, 80 miles. From EGV it went to Indianapolis, In, 211 miles. From Indy it went to Gary, IN, 152 miles. From Gary it went to Michigan City, IN, 31 miles. These filters traveled 474 miles to be delivered to a place that is 25 miles away. Pretty clear why they are going broke if this is how they ship packages.

I will mail the next ones thru UPS to see how they route the packages.

As far as the miles I just mapquested from city to city so they are an estimate.

Raymond Little
09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Mail from Lafayette La sent to Lake Charles La goes to Baton Rouge La (45 miles East) and then to Lake Charles La (90 miles West).

charly_t
09-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Plain old mistakes make more work for the postal workers. I'm pretty sure that some fresh pecans that I mailed near Tulsa OK got sent on the wrong route by the post office. They first went to Salt Lake Utah then to the town near Boston Mass. ( where they were supposed to go ). Printed label so I don't think it was a problem reading the label.

True story reported some years back............A lady was mailing a package at a post office somewhere in the USA. It was going to Austria and the postal worker told her that she could not shorten Australia that way. He was serious.

MooseGooser
09-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Plain old mistakes make more work for the postal workers. I'm pretty sure that some fresh pecans that I mailed near Tulsa OK got sent on the wrong route by the post office. They first went to Salt Lake Utah then to the town near Boston Mass. ( where they were supposed to go ). Printed label so I don't think it was a problem reading the label.

True story reported some years back............A lady was mailing a package at a post office somewhere in the USA. It was going to Austria and the postal worker told her that she could not shorten Australia that way. He was serious.

Well ,I side with the postal Guy on this one! I dont like abeaverations either.. I also dont like this new cell phone talk usin "ABC" words like WTF!

Just spell the words out! If Ya Kint spell,, go back to school with Nuns!

Gooser

M&K's Retrievers
09-24-2013, 10:10 AM
That's normal. A letter mailed from Kingston, OK to Kingston, OK goes to Oklahoma City and back for delivery. A round trip of about 200 miles. On a positive note, it usually only takes one day to make the trip.

Tim Carrion
09-24-2013, 10:51 AM
The personel from the post office that serve my office are highly specialized. One person to pick-up mail in one truck and another to deliver in a separate truck. Most days they arrive about the same time.

kdeckels
09-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Never underestimate the post office. I ordered a small package from Kansas City shipped to me (Western KS); it usually takes 1-2 days. Instead, 1st they shipped it to Michigan then back to western ks; took a week.

luvmylabs23139
09-24-2013, 11:49 AM

One year the post office returned the card I sent to my cousin back to me 2 days later marked "country unkown" . Now when I mail her cards I write the correct address as I did then but always write what the clueless idiots want several places across the envelope underlined and exclamation point.
Eire is correct and even what it says on the country's postage stamps but the idiots want Ireland which is incorrect.

BonMallari
09-24-2013, 02:03 PM
I will NEVER forgive the USPS for sponsoring Lance Armstrong and the US Cycling Team on the Tour de France run, and not because Armstrong turned out to be a lying cheating piece of crap...but How in the heck does a corporation invest MILLIONS into a sporting event that produces NO revenue, it was fiscally irresponsible

charly_t
09-24-2013, 02:47 PM
One year the post office returned the card I sent to my cousin back to me 2 days later marked "country unkown" . Now when I mail her cards I write the correct address as I did then but always write what the clueless idiots want several places across the envelope underlined and exclamation point.
Eire is correct and even what it says on the country's postage stamps but the idiots want Ireland which is incorrect.

UPS people sent a package back to the mail order place just about 3 weeks back. When I called UPS they said my street had to have a name otherwise they could not deliver the package. This is a county road with only a number no name. Have never had a problem with any UPS deliveries before this except when we first got the 911 address thing assigned out in this county. We have a fantastic US mail carrier in our area so things getting as far as our town get out here PDQ. It dawned on me that another package had not arrived so I called UPS..........UPS had done the same thing with that package ( they wrote wrong address on the tracking "page" ). Got my Christmas shopping done and everything arrived even if I did have to educate the UPS people. :-)

Nate_C
09-24-2013, 03:00 PM
The post office has issues mainly due to the way they handle employees. However this shipping might not be that crazy. This is the model UPS uses. They ship everything to these big hubs because it is more efficient It sounds counter intuitive but if you have 10 offices It is cheaper to send everything to 1 location (10 trips) then back (10 Trips) then ship between the 10 sites (45 Trips). Plus the one large sorting location is usually more efficient cause that is all they do and they can bring in one set of expensive sorting machines rather then 10 or doing it manually at each site.

Lesa Cozens Dauphin
09-24-2013, 03:49 PM
I know the post office has tons of problems. But, for $.46 I can send a 3 page letter of nonsensical chatter to my 93 year old Grandmother that brings a smile to her face and brightens her day. No place else offers that service.

Granddaughter of a postmaster regards,

lesa c

luvmylabs23139
09-25-2013, 11:20 AM
I know the post office has tons of problems. But, for $.46 I can send a 3 page letter of nonsensical chatter to my 93 year old Grandmother that brings a smile to her face and brightens her day. No place else offers that service.

Granddaughter of a postmaster regards,

lesa c

The postal service has gotten so bad that now between my 2nd cousin and I we have my 92 year old great Aunt and my 77 yr old Mom with our help using skype because between the US and UK postal services their letters keep getting lost and arriving months after mailing.