PDA

View Full Version : June 4&5 American Chesapeake Club HT in New Windsor, NY

deadgrass
05-19-2005, 07:08 AM
I've never been out to this test and wanted to know if anyone can offer up any info on what the test ground set ups have been in the past?? The grounds are located at Stewart State Forest near the airport.

Bob Gutermuth
05-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Thick cover in many areas not much real good water(esp for junior), PITA mountain bikers and some motorcylists running thru tests. good club nice folks to deal with.

brucecaplin
05-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Alicia:

I have been training and running tests there for years, about a dozen times per year.

There are lots of fields that run the gamut from sloped grassy bowls, to flat grassy terrain to scattered wood/fields. I have to disagree with the other post, there are about 6 ponds and lakes we can use. some have built in dikes and peninsulas, others are marshy w/ some flooded timber, others are more open but surrounded by tall grasses.

The issue w/ the property is that it is not a wildlife managament area, but a reforestation area. As a result, anyone can lawfully use the property (no motorized vehicles though--other than dog events). Mike Twardy and Dennis Scofield, from the hosting club, myself and many others recently attended a meeting with other non dog groups that regularly use the property to discuss schedules and acknowledge each groups's particular uses and needs. My club, Hudson Highlands Hunting Retriever Association has already held a double NAHRA field test and double AKC hunt test at the property this year and everything went very very well. You'll have a great time.
Bruce Caplin

deadgrass
06-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Thanks Bruce, I appreciate the information. Mike's actually the person who talked me into going to this test so glad to hear you mention him too.

David Lo Buono
06-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Alicia:

I have been training and running tests there for years, about a dozen times per year.

There are lots of fields that run the gamut from sloped grassy bowls, to flat grassy terrain to scattered wood/fields. I have to disagree with the other post, there are about 6 ponds and lakes we can use. some have built in dikes and peninsulas, others are marshy w/ some flooded timber, others are more open but surrounded by tall grasses.

The issue w/ the property is that it is not a wildlife managament area, but a reforestation area. As a result, anyone can lawfully use the property (no motorized vehicles though--other than dog events). Mike Twardy and Dennis Scofield, from the hosting club, myself and many others recently attended a meeting with other non dog groups that regularly use the property to discuss schedules and acknowledge each groups's particular uses and needs. My club, Hudson Highlands Hunting Retriever Association has already held a double NAHRA field test and double AKC hunt test at the property this year and everything went very very well. You'll have a great time.
Bruce Caplin

I don?t know what the other fella was talking about??? But Stewart has a multitude of good water for JH on up to the FT level?Beautiful Grounds as well! Be ready for elevation changes Lots of Marks and Blinds from High to low and Low to high?.I just ran there a few weeks ago and will be running there again in July??Thus far the Mnt. Bikers and Hikers have not cause any problems?.YOU MUST obey all state forest rules Especially the speed Limit! Good Luck and have fun

PS there will be another Chessie running Junior a friend of Mine Named Ken?Introduce yourself he has a sweetheart of a BIG Baydog named Lilly??I know you Chessie folks like to hang together :lol:

deadgrass
06-02-2005, 02:02 PM
How have they set up Junior tests in the past there?

PS there will be another Chessie running Junior a friend of Mine Named Ken?Introduce yourself he has a sweetheart of a BIG Baydog named Lilly??I know you Chessie folks like to hang together[quote]

My Chessie's a Lily too....

David Lo Buono
06-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Well, Pretty much like any other JH I guess.......There is really not much room for interpritation.......4 basic singles 2 on land 2 on water....Like I said there will be some elavation changes for the dogs on the marks...Down a slope up a slope that sorta stuff...Water has a fair amount of lilly pads and sticks some running water as well...Its a JH..Not sure what your looking for..But Hope that helped.

Bob Gutermuth
06-03-2005, 01:44 PM
My view of the water is from a judging standpoint. Other than the beaver pond way in the back, there is little water there that I like for setting up a junior test. There is one pond that used to be absolutly choked with lillypads and another near the blockhouse that is large and basically square. Can these ponds be used for junior water? yes and they have been, but they are not what I would prefer to use if I had a choice.

David Lo Buono
06-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I understand what you mean...But there are a few good ponds down the road a bit. Didn't mean to sound confrontational Sorry :oops:

Bob Gutermuth
06-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Swampy, no offense taken. I am one that likes a specific kind of water to test young dogs in, and except for parts of the beaver pond, I have yet to see something at Stewart that I really like.

brucecaplin
06-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Bob:

There's been some good news on the DEC side of things--we now have access to more technical water on the other side of the property. Some ponds w/ more "nooks and crannies" if you know what I mean.

Bruce