View Full Version : using popup launchers as wingers

09-06-2005, 08:48 PM
has anyone used a pop up launcher out in the field instead of a winger? How far does it toss a duck and what is its range in visibility? which brand launches furthest?
thank you.

Sharon Potter
09-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Bird launchers don't do all that well for tossing dead birds. They don't get the height or trajectory that a winger will, and a dead bird or bumper gets a pretty pathetic toss.

They do great for live fliers and teaching stop to flush for upland work.

09-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Not all pop up launchers are created equally.

The Ramponi/magnum 2000 launchers throw a good mark, but they are a basket style launcher designed to throw marks. The bird releasers, in my estimation, do not. I have seen them used to train for walk-ups.

Joe Miano

09-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Thanks Joe,
I have seen that on another post but have never been able to find a ramponis. Do you have any contact info for them?

Carol Cassity
09-07-2005, 05:22 PM
I've got a Zinger Winger Upland and love the convenience it offers and it throw a decent mark. We use it for the short bird, walk-ups and the diversion. I really like how easy it is to tuck in behind a bush or tall clump or grass. It will throw a duck as well as bumpers.

09-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Hey Carol,
What would be your longest mark you would use it on without losing visibility?

09-08-2005, 04:08 PM
I have Day's End model, put it in a lawn chair with a white shirt and used it for the short bird or diversion. Works fine. Throws a dead duck about 20 feet, just as good as a 7 year old kid and a lot less "are we done yet ??"
Suzuki FZ50 history (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_FZ50)

Carol Cassity
09-08-2005, 05:08 PM
We used one this summer that was easily 100 yards from the line. The mark was a duck, we put the Uplander on a slope of a mound. It was the short bird of a water triple for field trialing.

It will throw a duck a good 10 yards with nice height. I think the back-ground would determine maximum distance.

I really like the box for hunt tests for walk-ups, diversions, wipe-outs, etc. It is small enough to tuck anywhere. It comes with velcro closures so you can put a live bird in the pouch. This is theory with my group - we hope to launch some breaking bird pigeons this weekend.

Two down sides - you do have to assemble it and getting the springs on was not easy for me and you need some upper body strength to load it.

Mike Bons
09-08-2005, 08:50 PM
I was at a indoor retriever trial/demonstration this past winter and they were using uplander's by Zinger Winger. Some of the marks we hitting the top of the arena roof with DFT mallards. I was really impressed.

Carol Cassity
09-12-2005, 04:00 PM
OK here is the report after using live birds this weekend.

We used the Uplander to throw a live pigeon as a walk-up, a wipe-out bird and the diversion. The solid plate on the down side and the velcro closures on the up side of the pouch performed flawlessly. We incorporated the launcher in 5 of the seven set-ups we did this weekend and there were no failures.

11-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Check Proxy Professional (HTTP) is a special tool, designed to manage a database of proxy servers located all over the world. This program is essential for those who are concerned about their privacy and who want to surf the web anonymously.

Misty Marsh
11-05-2005, 11:10 AM
In my travels only the uplander has the "grunt" to throw and kind of real mark using a duck!