PDA

View Full Version : using popup launchers as wingers

saltydog
09-06-2005, 08:48 PM
has anyone used a pop up launcher out in the field instead of a winger? How far does it toss a duck and what is its range in visibility? which brand launches furthest?
thank you.

Sharon Potter
09-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Bird launchers don't do all that well for tossing dead birds. They don't get the height or trajectory that a winger will, and a dead bird or bumper gets a pretty pathetic toss.

They do great for live fliers and teaching stop to flush for upland work.

subroc
09-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Not all pop up launchers are created equally.

The Ramponi/magnum 2000 launchers throw a good mark, but they are a basket style launcher designed to throw marks. The bird releasers, in my estimation, do not. I have seen them used to train for walk-ups.

Joe Miano

saltydog
09-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Thanks Joe,
I have seen that on another post but have never been able to find a ramponis. Do you have any contact info for them?

Carol Cassity
09-07-2005, 05:22 PM
I've got a Zinger Winger Upland and love the convenience it offers and it throw a decent mark. We use it for the short bird, walk-ups and the diversion. I really like how easy it is to tuck in behind a bush or tall clump or grass. It will throw a duck as well as bumpers.
Carol

saltydog
09-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Hey Carol,
What would be your longest mark you would use it on without losing visibility?

DRAKEHAVEN
09-08-2005, 04:08 PM
I have Day's End model, put it in a lawn chair with a white shirt and used it for the short bird or diversion. Works fine. Throws a dead duck about 20 feet, just as good as a 7 year old kid and a lot less "are we done yet ??"
________
Suzuki FZ50 history (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_FZ50)

Carol Cassity
09-08-2005, 05:08 PM
We used one this summer that was easily 100 yards from the line. The mark was a duck, we put the Uplander on a slope of a mound. It was the short bird of a water triple for field trialing.

It will throw a duck a good 10 yards with nice height. I think the back-ground would determine maximum distance.

I really like the box for hunt tests for walk-ups, diversions, wipe-outs, etc. It is small enough to tuck anywhere. It comes with velcro closures so you can put a live bird in the pouch. This is theory with my group - we hope to launch some breaking bird pigeons this weekend.

Two down sides - you do have to assemble it and getting the springs on was not easy for me and you need some upper body strength to load it.

Carol

Mike Bons
09-08-2005, 08:50 PM
I was at a indoor retriever trial/demonstration this past winter and they were using uplander's by Zinger Winger. Some of the marks we hitting the top of the arena roof with DFT mallards. I was really impressed.
Mike

Carol Cassity
09-12-2005, 04:00 PM
OK here is the report after using live birds this weekend.

We used the Uplander to throw a live pigeon as a walk-up, a wipe-out bird and the diversion. The solid plate on the down side and the velcro closures on the up side of the pouch performed flawlessly. We incorporated the launcher in 5 of the seven set-ups we did this weekend and there were no failures.

Carol

hamburg
11-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Check Proxy Professional (HTTP) is a special tool, designed to manage a database of proxy servers located all over the world. This program is essential for those who are concerned about their privacy and who want to surf the web anonymously.

http://www.checkproxy.net

Misty Marsh
11-05-2005, 11:10 AM
In my travels only the uplander has the "grunt" to throw and kind of real mark using a duck!