PDA

View Full Version : So. Arizona (11/4-6)

K G
10-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Anybody got any apparel advice for a southern boy heading to that trial this weekend?

Any other "local" advice would be appreciated as well. Flying into San Diego early Thursday PM and driving in.....

kg

Russ
10-31-2005, 09:26 PM
Keith,

Highs in the low 80's in Niland, lows in the mid 50's. It should be very dry. In San Diego, it was 81 when I got home from work today at 5:30, but it should cool down and get damper as we approach the weekend.

I will not be there this weekend, but my wife, Florence, is running a couple of dogs in the Qual. Hope she has a chance to meet you.

Russ

Annette
10-31-2005, 11:02 PM
KG here in Scottsdale they are predicting in the high 80 and around 60 in am. Doesn't looke like rain but one never knows. I think it will be warmer than what Russ predicts as he is near the ocean. Niland is not. Perhaps Cindy in Yuma will post she is the cosest to Niland. Hope to meet you at the trial .

kljohnston
11-01-2005, 11:15 PM
something important to know. wash your dogs feet after training and running the trial.
the alkali (sp?) is pretty brutal on some dogs' feet. i have run 4 dogs in the desert. 3 were just fine and one had his feet cracked open within 2 days. does not hurt to be safe.
everyone that trains the winter down there knows to wash the feet daily.

K G
11-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Thanks all for the advice and observations.

Believe it or not, I'm just coming over to watch....one dog in particular, but just to watch overall. Hope to meet many of you while there!

Keith Griffith

Shayne Mehringer
11-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks all for the advice and observations.

Believe it or not, I'm just coming over to watch....one dog in particular, but just to watch overall. Hope to meet many of you while there!

Keith Griffith

Thats weird.

You should stop by the greatness of the Metro trial on your way through. But surely your not driving????

SM

K G
11-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Nope. Taking a shuttle to Nashville and then Southwest to San Diego.

And Shayne, you're the last person that needs to be talking about "weird"....I need some high desert air to clear my head. Been a few months since I've been able to decompress....

kg

Russ
11-02-2005, 08:51 AM
And Shayne, you're the last person that needs to be talking about "weird"....

I was just thinking that myself. I do hope you think going to a trial without a dog is wierd, not going to a trial in Southern California.

Florence

K G
11-02-2005, 08:58 AM
I've been going to trials and putting on field trials without a competitive dog since 1995, Florence. If that makes me weird, then I'm one of the weirdest people I know.

Now, that's not for the lack of trying to have a competitive dog. I've just had crappy luck and made some bad choices on dogs since 1995. I'm coming to look at a dog to try to help my chances of being competitive in the near future....and to try to clear the many and varied cobwebs from my head.

Hey...I said "try"! :lol: ..............

Keith

gmhr1
11-02-2005, 10:06 AM
In Yuma today we will hit a high of 90 the low was 60 the lows in El Centro are running around 54 highs in the low 80 right now.
cindy

Lynn Moore
11-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Any results on the first series of the Open?

K G
11-06-2005, 09:57 AM
The Open had 73 in the catalog, 63 starters, and called back 50 to a double blind, land/water then water. The Open did NOT finish their first series on Friday, running 20 dogs Sat.AM. they'll run their water marks this AM.

Derby finished Friday. Nice Derby setups and some nice Derby dogs,too. I'll post results on another thread.

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The So. Arizona club reminded me GREATLY of my own club: a FEW people get a LOT done!

I'm going to leave out some folks, I'm sure, but not intentionally. Mel & Joan Milton, Patty Kiernan & Bill Cox, Dick Trotter, Chris Allaire, and a host of dedicated-to-the-sport non-members pitched in, notable among them our own Florence Sloane. I also was privileged to meet Mark & Cindy Lowans and Marie Doherty, as well as a couple more "regular lurkers" who shall remain nameless! :wink:

I also accomplished my primary mission....you'll hear more about that in a month or so!

kg

K G
11-06-2005, 10:07 AM
double post....oops....doing this on aTreo is going to take more practice.....

kg

Lynn Moore
11-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the updates.....just heard that there are 26 dogs back to the LAST series of the Open. Whoa! They just finished the land blind in the Amateur. Sounded like a very tough blind.