PDA

View Full Version : RRRC AKC HT VA 12/9-11 (Site of 07 MN!)

Julie R.
11-16-2005, 11:34 AM
http://www.shady-grove.com/shadygrove.jpg
Double Master, Senior & Junior
view judges/start times, entries etc. on EE

ENTRIES CLOSE Nov. 24!!

Pictured is some of the water at Shady Grove. HT will be at Phelps WMA and Shady Grove Hunting Preserve. We will be hosting the 2007 Master National at these same grounds.

A mild fall means the water shouldn't be too cold--it will be a lot warmer in Dec. than in March/early April!

Premium is at www.EntryExpress.net

Anyone seeking to save over the high costs of D.C. area motels (Warrenton is 50 miles SW of Washington D.C.) I have a friend who operates a B&B, mainly for foxhunters, nearby--she has offered a special rate of $50 a night per person to friends of RRRC. Dogs welcome (need to be crated in rooms) on a 25 acre farm in the country, breakfast included.

Betsy Parker, www.huntersrest.net (540)364-2929 She is located in Flint Hill, about 20 miles west of the test grounds. The motels listed on the premium are in Warrenton, very convenient for fast food/chain restaurants like Outback Steakhouse, Ruby Tuesday, etc., most allow dogs are about $95-110 per night.

TH
11-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Julie,

Do you have the dates for the 07 MN. I was called about a judging assignment for October 07. I need to get back to them this week. Told the Chair I hope to be running the MN. If the dates don't conflict I'd be happy too.

Tony

Kristie Wilder
11-20-2005, 02:24 PM
I'll be there with bells on...

Hotel rates didn't seem to be too terribly bad when I looked??

Going to be LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG drive!

-Kristie

BULLWHITEHURST
01-01-2006, 09:11 PM
<snip>...A mild fall means the water shouldn't be too cold--it will be a lot warmer in Dec. than in March/early April!

Ha....Yea' Right. Well it's Jan 1st and very surprisingly mild today but I was at these grounds during the Fall AKC HT and there was 3-6 in. snow & ice on the ground. Had to break ice in these ponds to run the tests! Had fun however....and passed my first MH test that weekend.

Happy New Year...

labraiser
01-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Hopefully the club will have it's act together by then. I heard it was one of the worst run HT ever. Many people have state they will not run there again. No help at all. this is both from judges and handlers. JH had to wait for the Senior to finish their water before they could start. Master had hardly any birds to begin with. The big prolem was the lack of help on all test. It will be fun to watch this club handle 300 plus dogs. If anyone differs on this please speak up.

Kristie Wilder
01-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Hopefully the club will have it's act together by then. I heard it was one of the worst run HT ever. Many people have state they will not run there again. No help at all. this is both from judges and handlers. JH had to wait for the Senior to finish their water before they could start. Master had hardly any birds to begin with. The big prolem was the lack of help on all test. It will be fun to watch this club handle 300 plus dogs. If anyone differs on this please speak up.

I know they were seeking feedback and I shared what I saw and felt as a handler. I think between the grounds and location, there's potential for the test. Just needs to be a better organized and staffed. Seems to me like inexperience played the biggest part... There were some things that it was pretty clear to me people just didn't know needed to be done or how to do them... Hopefully the kinks will get worked out as I personally enjoyed the test and the club members I spent time with.

Vicky Trainor
01-02-2006, 08:50 AM
I heard it was one of the worst run HT ever.

Perhaps it was "one of the worst", but it was definitely the worst I personally have ever been involved with either as a judge or participant.

As one of the judges, I sent an email twice to the HT Chairman and HT Secretary (cc: to the other judges) which outlined numerous problems that occurred during the hunt test. I have yet to receive a response from either of them. (I have received email responses from some of the other judges.)

On the "bright side", my co-judge was Mary Williams, VP of the MN. She got to see firsthand the problems and will have plenty of time between now and the '07 MN to work with the club.

Vicky

B. A.
01-02-2006, 09:41 AM
I heard it was one of the worst run HT ever.

Perhaps it was "one of the worst", but it was definitely the worst I personally have ever been involved with either as a judge or participant.

As one of the judges, I sent an email twice to the HT Chairman and HT Secretary (cc: to the other judges) which outlined numerous problems that occurred during the hunt test. I have yet to receive a response from either of them. (I have received email responses from some of the other judges.)

On the "bright side", my co-judge was Mary Williams, VP of the MN. She got to see firsthand the problems and will have plenty of time between now and the '07 MN to work with the club.

Vicky

Now that we know which HT was the worst you've seen...which one was the best and how did the two events compare? (thinking this may provide food for thought regarding what is good and bad)

Bob
wondering if this is the forum for this or not.....

Kristie Wilder
01-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Vicky's flight CLEARLY got the shaft and I agree with her from the perspective of her flight. It was pretty bad... (understated)

The other flights seemed to do ok and my only conclusion is that it was because they were more accessible than Vicky and Mary's flight. I don't see any excuse for it, but that's just the way it seemed.

Vicky and Mary were completely abandoned.

-Kristie

B. A.
01-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Vicky's flight CLEARLY got the shaft and I agree with her from the perspective of her flight. It was pretty bad... (understated)

The other flights seemed to do ok and my only conclusion is that it was because they were more accessible than Vicky and Mary's flight. I don't see any excuse for it, but that's just the way it seemed.

-Kristie

Completely abandoned..as in no bird boys, no marshall, no guns?

Yikes!

wsumner
01-02-2006, 10:31 AM
I have attended another HT put on by the RRRC and it ran very smoothly. There was a definite lack of help at this test however. I believe that the Friday start and the cold weather were two of the reasons for the lack of help. Also all the events were run at the WMA. There is a lot more testing grounds available at Shadely Grove that was not utilized.

I hope that everyone does not use this one test to judges RRRC by. I am not a member but a have run there and had a chance to attend a training session there. The member a were friendly and helpful and the other HT well run.

I hope that the RRRC recognizes the problems that occurred at this test and work to see that they don't happen again. I will be back for there Spring AKC HT.

Kristie Wilder
01-02-2006, 11:18 AM

-Kristie

Completely abandoned..as in no bird boys, no marshall, no guns?

Yikes!

Yes, yes, and I think so... If I had only been running Vicky's flight, I would have been as upset as she and her co-judge were. I got to see other things running relatively ok. I know nobody meant ill will or malice towards the contestants, but it was a little difficult trying to get dogs run.

-Kristie

MC Boulais
01-02-2006, 03:18 PM
I was also there and "attempted" to help on Friday when most had to work. While I have only been to a limited number of test this one had a lot going against it. Middle of a cold snap with snow in the forecast and only 2 weeks before Christmas. Not a good time to ask for volunteers. I was also disappointed in the lack of club support and decided others needed to step up. I believe the club has over 100 members for goodness sake! Several club members suggested hiring help when the numbers of volunteers was known to be short but the leaership obviously decided against it. I don't blame anyone who doesn't come back and under other circumstances, am sure things will go smoother.

labraiser
01-02-2006, 05:00 PM
I think the problem lies with the club running a test that was over it's head. Running a test in December is risky even in Va. Weather is too hard to predict that time of year. Even so, the club should have ran 1 three day master, and a double senior and double junior. Running such a large test is a great feat for any club. The club should have hired workers. Most clubs do hire workers and get a solid group of members to commit to work. One club I belong to pays for lodging for club members who do work. That little thanks goes a long way to securing enough help. I hope this club learns from their mistakes and makes changes to ensure some smoother running test in the future.

Vicky Trainor
01-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Also all the events were run at the WMA. There is a lot more testing grounds available at Shadely Grove that was not utilized.

This statement is incorrect. All of our test series, as well as all of the series set up by the Master 2-A (Sat/Sun) (land, land/water & water) were held on the Shady Gove property. We utilized the pond in the picture Julie posted above as well as the field on the far side of the Shady Grove barn for our land series. Master 2-A rotated in behind us and vice versa, using the same grounds.

Vicky

wsumner
01-03-2006, 03:48 AM
Sorry Vicki,

I did not know that they ran any of the master tests at Shady Grove. I'd mean to mislead anyone.

Wayne

7blackdogs
01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
After just returning from volunteering at the NRC in Cheraw and witnessing first hand the debacle at the RRRC test I see a disaster waiting to happen. The club has to consider putting on an exceptional Test before thinking about club profit. If RRRC had trouble rounding up personnel for a triple double how will they gather volunteers for Marshalling, Grounds, Traffic, Bird Throwers, Gunners, Game Steward, Merchandise and Hospitality committees for the 2007 MN's?

wsumner
01-03-2006, 02:57 PM
I thought that all the handlers "volunteered" :D for those job at the MN. Never been to a MN but I thought that handlers are expected to work and are asked on their entrys what job they would like to do. Is it a requirement to volunteer?

Wayne