PDA

View Full Version : dog crate?

ducks-r-us
12-18-2005, 08:39 PM
I have a new ylm pup on the way, just would like ideas on crate size and make???

FowlDogs
12-19-2005, 07:14 AM
I see you're from Michigan, where abouts?

I like a wire crate for the house over plastic because you can section them off easily. Lifestyles by Mid-West is the brand I see most often and what I have.

Get a large one. Mine is 42 L x 28 W x 31 H. Most wire crates come with a divider that you can use to section off the crate. This is important for a puppy. You want to give them just enough room to turn around. I would start with giving the puppy only 1/4 to 1/5 of the crate to use. This will help with going the bathroom in the crate.

Puppies don't want to go the bathroom where they sleep, but if the crate is large enough where they can go in one corner and get far enough away from it, they will eliminate in the crate. That is why the divider is provided.

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** - When you get the crate setup, zip-tie the crate together where the U-shaped hooks hold the crate. The wire crates are not the most sturdy and Puppies have been injured and some killed by pushing the sides apart and getting their heads stuck. The zip-tie eliminates this possibility and is cheap insurance.

Lastly, I don't put a pad in the crate for several weeks as the puppy may go the bathroom in the crate and this is one last thing to clean up. Also, do not put any toys or other objects in the crate, including water. Here is a great article on crate training - http://www.retrievertraining.net/crate/kennel.htm.

Show us some pic of the new guy when you get him.

Roger

Also, I do have a wire crate in excellent shape that is the next size smaller than the one I listed above. 36 L x 24 W x 27 H". If you are interested in it, let me know.

Jeff Kolanski
12-19-2005, 07:21 PM
I prefer the plastic crates (Petmate/Pet Porter) for pups and thru their entire life span. I have owned wire before-more hair outside the crate and if they should happen to have an 'accident,' plastic crates are much easier to clean than your carpet!!! :shock: I think that I go thru 3 or 4 different sizes as the pup grows and matures because like basshole stated, you want to give them just enough room to turn around. Good Luck!

Jeff Kolanski
12-19-2005, 07:23 PM
I prefer the plastic crates (Petmate/Pet Porter) for pups and thru their entire life span. I have owned wire before-more hair outside the crate and if they should happen to have an 'accident,' plastic crates are much easier to clean than your carpet!!! :shock: I think that I go thru 3 or 4 different sizes as the pup grows and matures because like basshole stated, you want to give them just enough room to turn around. Good Luck!

Jeff Kolanski
12-19-2005, 07:30 PM