PDA

View Full Version : Alamo RC spring trial

bakbay
12-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Since I have had several private inquiries, I am posting the following information. The Alamo Retriever Club has applied to AKC to host a trial on their traditional spring date. Despite the fact that ARC has not hosted a trial for several years, AKC has informed us we are still "licensed" to do so, but we are awaiting formal approval of our application. The dates will be March 3-5, 2006 and the location will be near Hondo, about an hour west of San Antonio TX. As soon as AKC approves the application and the judging panel is finalized, the premium information will be posted at Entry Express.

Jerry
12-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Good to hear that Bruce. Have many happy memories of John Pecan, Carol Bray and many others.

Jerry

EdA
12-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Good to hear that Bruce. Have many happy memories of John Pecan, Carol Bray and many others.

June Varner a great lady and long time field trial secretary

and Cactus Pryor a super guy and one of the most incredibly funny people on the planet

the trial was held on the Higgins Grass Farm in La Vernia for many many years, lots and lots of really good memories :) :) :) 8) 8) 8)

Jerry
12-21-2005, 05:06 PM
I was ashamed that I couldn't remember June's name. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Another one, "Waggoner" perhaps????

My Son caught a 5lb Bass in that pond right behind the house.

Jerry

EdA
12-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Another one, "Waggoner" perhaps????

"Paula" you old Goober :roll:

Jerry
12-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Yep Paula.

Regarding Cactus, I remember him telling about his training experiences with his partner/sidekick. His partner, in training, was sending his dog on a blind. Gave him a "Back" and the dog didn't move. When Partner asked what he could do, Cactus responded, "Well in the first place, you've never taught him what a Blind is. Secondly, untie him from that tree and he might do better!!!!!" :D :D :D

Jerry

KNorman
12-22-2005, 07:26 AM
When Partner asked what he could do, Cactus responded, "Well in the first place, you've never taught him what a Blind is. Secondly, untie him from that tree and he might do better!!!!!"

That was good for a morning chuckle with my coffee. :lol:

bakbay
12-22-2005, 12:17 PM
[the trial was held on the Higgins Grass Farm in La Vernia for many many years, lots and lots of really good memories :) :) :) 8) 8) 8)

That is going back aways, but there were lots of nice dogs that ran there in its day. I remember one particular open where George Bray was driving out in his old blue pickup to plant a long blind in the open...a blind where the dogs had to go over the trunk of a large, downed tree to stay on line. Higgins was only used for a couple of hunt tests after the late 80's 'cause it had deteriorated so badly. The heir that was managing the property then wanted Alamo to cough up about $7000 to repair/replace pump(s) that were used to supply water to the property...without the water and with other land management changes, the property was no longer very useful for retriever events. That was when we switched to the Karnes City area "uranium mine" property that we used up until we stopped running trials. Although I do remember one particular open that Ed was winning out Uvalde way with Percy, during that time, until Percy disappeared over the top of a hill way back of the long retired water bird.

Tom Watson
01-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Bruce:

Will Entry Express handle entries?

Thanks,

Tom