PDA

View Full Version : March Picnic Trials

john fallon
02-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Sunday March 5th and 12th are the dates for the March Picnic Trial/Training Days to be held by the DelBay Retriever Club at the C&D Canal retriever Training Area.

8:00 AM start, come early and sign up .

The following is a little distasteful for me, and really should go without saying, but for a few, apparently it does not.

ALL should be prepared to take their turn in the field, sandbagging or just blatantly running and taking off without helping out is not polite.

While there is no limit on the number of dogs you may bring and run, common sense and good manners should be your guide.

If you do have quite a few dogs to run, be sure to allocate some time for manning a station. Throwing first would probably be best for those with a lot of dogs.

I hope to see a big turnout so we can split the group as we have normally done in the past.

While I am on the subject of two groups.

The protocol is, run in one or the other group with all of your dogs, you may no longer run in both even for two entry fees or even with different dogs.

john

moscowitz
02-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Hi John,

Can you post directions again .I'm coming from Conn. and will be taking the NJ TPK. Hope to make it down this Sun.

Miriam Wade
02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
John-

Is there still a picnic trial scheduled for this Sunday the 5th?!? If so-any idea of temperature/weather?

And in light of your post-is it acceptable to be there for set-up & work the day, but plan on leaving late afternoon before tear down if you have a long drive?

Thanks!!

M

john fallon
02-27-2006, 02:10 PM
John-

Is there still a picnic trial scheduled for this Sunday the 5th?!? If so-any idea of temperature/weather?
I'm not 100% sure but I think so.

I posted the above based on information received, when bad weather caused the cancelation of the 2nd Feb event, and have heard nothing to the contrary so far.
I have a pm into Charlie Lesser to find out for sure.

The forcast is for :Mostly sunny. Winds from the N at 9 mph. High: 47? F RealFeel: 46? F

And in light of your post-is it acceptable to be there for set-up & work the day, but plan on leaving late afternoon before tear down if you have a long drive?

Thanks!!

M
Of course it is,
You and those coming from a distance may want to do "their part" early in the event in order to get on the road early.
No one will be expected "to do it all"
If everyone does a little bit we will all have a fun time.

john

john fallon
02-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi John,

Can you post directions again .I'm coming from Conn. and will be taking the NJ TPK. Hope to make it down this Sun.

Mike I sent you a PM, after reading the directions I made them Canal specific
For Mike and others needing directions .

Directions to the Grounds:

From I-95 S: Take exit 896 South towards Glasgow. Follow Rte 896, approximately 7.2 miles to Rte 71. Turn left onto Rte 71 (if you go over the canal, you?ve gone too far). Go 0.7 miles and turn right on Chesapeake City Rd. Travel 2 miles and turn left into the C&D Canal Retriever training area

From I-95 N:Take Elkton exit Turn right onto Rte 279. Follow Rte 279 for a few miles. Turn left onto Rte 213. Follow Rte 213 south for approximately 4.5 miles (if you go over the canal, you?ve gone too far). Turn left onto Elk Forest Road. Take an immediate right onto Knights Corner Road. Proceed 0.4 miles. Turn left onto Woods Road which becomes Steele Rd when it crosses into Delaware, continue to the T at Chesapeake City Rd. Turn left for .3 mi and then right into the site.

From Rt 40: Follow Rte 213 south for approximately 4.5 miles (if you go over the canal, you?ve gone too far). Turn left onto Elk Forest Road. Take an immediate right onto Knights Corner Road. Proceed 0.4 miles. Turn left onto Woods Road which becomes Steele Rd when it crosses into Delaware, continue to the T at Chesapeake City Rd. Turn left for .3 mi and then right into the site.

http://delbayretriever.tripod.com/sht2006directions.doc

chessieheaven!!@@##?
02-28-2006, 07:59 PM
John, thanks for the directions, should be a fun weekend.

Miriam Wade
03-06-2006, 08:28 AM
We had a great time!! Turned out to be a perfect day weather wise-50 & sunny. Charlie, Ted Finley (sp) & our Marshall (aaagh! can't remember her name, but she owns a Golden by Bro out of Star!) were just wonderful. The Marshall was just the perfect person to be on line for Steve Hamel's 13 year old daughter who is learning to handle. Makes all the difference to have someone who is patient & friendly. The pheasants were beautiful-nice plump birds. Finny had a blast & it was great to see Becca get so much line time with the dogs.

THANK YOU Del Bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M

rbr
03-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Miriam, you should have come over with the with the white coat group.

Bert

Miriam Wade
03-06-2006, 09:53 AM

Bert

Honestly? I wanted to & if I had my own vehicle I would have, but I drove down w/ Steve & he chose the hunt test side. What did you do over there?

M

rbr
03-06-2006, 10:57 AM

Bert

Honestly? I wanted to & if I had my own vehicle I would have, but I drove down w/ Steve & he chose the hunt test side. What did you do over there?

M

John set up 2 nice tests.

1st test, poison bird 15 yards beyond, and 5 yards behind flyer crate.
Dog watches double w/flyer as #2. Picks up blind. Returns to a
long single tight to #1 bird of the double, Pick up the single, return
and pick up the double.

Not everyone (me included ) ran the test as designed.

2nd test, Long bird 250 yards left to right, hip pocket to middle bird
150 yards left to right, breaking bird dink 25 yards right to left.

Nice test ,

Bert

Miriam Wade
03-06-2006, 12:09 PM
I was probably better off on the hunt test side then. Obviously, Finn is just running the marks as singles right now, so I think what you described might have been over his head. The hunt test side had perfect puppy length marks -especially for his first time in a test atmosphere w/ holding blinds, waiting, activity around the line, etc. I was happy to have the marks easy enough that he was successful the first time out.

M

john fallon
03-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Sunday March 12th (tomorrow) is the last date for the March Picnic Trial/Training Session Days to be held by the DelBay Retriever Club at the C&D Canal retriever Training Area.

8:00 AM start, come early and sign up .

For directions see my earlier post.

john