PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Trial

Bente
04-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Qual finished today. Only 5 dogs finished.

1. John Henneghan (sp?) .. don't know which dog..
2. Ken something, I think..
3. John Henneghan
4. DIXIE HUMBLE with Little Miss Katie MH !!! Dixie is a 70 yr old grandma and this is her first field dog. CONGRATULATIONS Dixie!!

RJ. I can't remember what my friend, who was marshalling, told me over the phone..

Best of luck to everyone for the remainder of the weekend!!

RetrieverNut
04-14-2006, 11:47 PM
I'll clarify a few of the Qual placements.

1st - John Henninger w/ Robb's Mia Hambone
2nd - Ken Lee w/ Rainey
3rd - Jim Gonia w/ Boss
4th - ?
RJ - ?

5 dogs earned ribbons in a very tough (bird placement), yet fair (callbacks and placements) trial. I wasn't there, but that is the report I got from the 'tall grumpy dogmaster'!

Bente
04-14-2006, 11:53 PM
oops!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yup. I talked to Dixie this time and have the following corrections to my first post :oops:

1. like retriever nut said..
2. like retriever nut said..
3. like retriever nut said.. (dog owned by John Henneghan)
4. Dixie Humble w/ Little Miss Katie MH
RJ. John Henninger w/ Way to Go Call of the Wild

(Dixie is my training buddy so it was VERY fun to see her place)

Judy Chute
04-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Bente..[/quote]4. DIXIE HUMBLE with Little Miss Katie MH !!! Dixie is a 70 yr old grandma and this is her first field dog. CONGRATULATIONS Dixie!!
[quote]

Congratulations Dixie!!! Very 8) ! Little Miss Katie....Golden? ..

Well, maybe there is hope for me and I should stay with the sport a bit longer!!! Dose of inspiration for the day..will vacumn later! :) ..maybe..

Bente
04-15-2006, 04:31 PM
nooo.. Katie is a black lab, but one that Dixie bought from a feed store (?) ad that she came across when she was visiting Spokane. Last black female left in the litter. $500 dog. But very much a NATURAL retriever. Dixie just points her in the direction of the mark or blind and she just goes. The dog just makes it look easy.

And Dixie is having a lot of fun with her, which is really the most important thing about the whole sport.

(She's got a fun training group too! :wink: )

idellalabs
04-15-2006, 05:00 PM
WOO HOO for Dixie and Katie :lol:
Carole

Gary Wayne Abbott I
04-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Good job Dixie.

:D

DT Tran
04-16-2006, 01:40 AM
got back from derby. had a blast running my second derby.

first series: tight double with converging birds with go-bird much longer than memory bird. virtually flat field with some shallow dips; 6-12" grass; overcast/light rain; breezy. first leftside bird is dead mallard drake thrown L-R into a shallow dip out about 70 yards (key checkdown memory bird). second rightside go bird (300?) is mallard drake flyer thrown from a winger R-L. long go-bird caused a few long hunts; the checkdown short memory bird was really tough on the young dogs in a featureless field; many dogs blew past the short bird and switched to the long flyer. 33 dogs entered, 19 called-back...i'm still in it :D

second series: tight double both thrown R-L; with really long memory bird. virtually flat field with 6-12" grass. overcast. mild breeze blew in same direction as birds thrown. first straightahead bird is long (360?) dead drake mallard about parallel to to a curvaceous road on the left which is along a long pond bank. this bank dips down and dogs lose sight of gun when they go down there. second rightside bird (60?) is dead drake mallard thrown hip-pocket to the memory bird line. one dog broke on the go-bird. one dog was pushed too far to the left into the pond bank, couldnt see the gun and got lost. 19 dogs in, 17 called back...im still there :D

third series: sufficiently wide water/land double with memory bird thrown at opposite bank of pond. overcast/variable rain was quite heavy. first bird straightahead was dead drake mallard thrown R-L at opposite bank of pond from the line; line to this bird had about 60degree entry, can't cheat around this long pond. second leftside gobird was dead mallard thrown R-L into a depressed slope continuous with the pond bank (60 yds). my pup broke on the go bird; right after i left the line, it started raining sleet bigtime :lol: ...got kicked out just in time.

judges said that there will be a fourth series, not sure about callbacks because i decided to go home. all in all i learned a ton and had alot of fun. congratulations to all who will finish.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/ParkerConwayKennels/Northwest2006derby.jpg

RetrieverNut
04-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Don't know the results of the Derby or Amateur yet.

Open
1st - Price Club - Jim Gonia
2nd - NFC AFC Chopper - Frank Kashevarof
3rd - Utopian Sharpshooter - Jerry Patopea
4th - FC AFC Auggie - Ole Jackson
Res Jam - Arrowsmith Cardhu - Gonia
Jam - Emberain Semper Case of Red - Lee Herskowitz

Judy Chute
04-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Open
Jam - Emberain Semper Case of Red - Lee Herskowitz

Yet another Golden doing great this weekend!! Congratulations~! ..and a gorgeous "boy" :)

Judy Chute
04-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Bente wrote....
bought from a feed store (?) ad that she came across when she was visiting Spokane. Last black female left in the litter. $500 dog. But very much a NATURAL retriever. Dixie just points her in the direction of the mark or blind and she just goes. The dog just makes it look easy.

And Dixie is having a lot of fun with her, which is really the most important thing about the whole sport.

(She's got a fun training group too! )

What a great story...and this sure is what it is all about :)..including the support from Dixie's "fun training group"... Congrats All Around!!

drdawg
04-17-2006, 12:32 AM

drdawg
04-17-2006, 12:35 AM
HI Judy!
Thanks for the kind compliments. Casey ran a good open and was in the silver until he handled (quick one whistle handle) on the last bird. The placemnents were the only dogs that did not handle (although some sure did cover a lot of country side). Casey also finished the Amateur being in the last 8 to run the Water marks. I left for my 4 hour drive home so I do not know whether he placed or just made it an Irish Doubleheader (2 greenies). ANYONE have the AMateur placements???
PS Casey has babies on the way if you check the breeding posts or my web site (http://home.comcast.net/~doctordawg/) !
Lee

Kris Hunt
04-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Congratulations on the finishes Lee. Keep us posted on how you finished up in the Amateur. Nothing wrong with a pair of greenies for the weekend either!!

Kris

Bente
04-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I watched part of the 4th series of the Derby. For those of you with local knowledge, it was a water double across the slough that's near the Hourglass Pond. The line was just past what we used to call (still call?) the "picnic area", but before you get to the spot along the road where they put the porta-potty now-a-days. Dogs ran from the SW side of the road, across the road, down the bank into the slough to the marks which were on the opposite, NE, side of the slough. When I watched the wind had died down and it was pretty still, but I was told that the wind was blowing a bit for the first 3 dogs which ran, none of whom were able to do the test (I was told that they got on shore behind the live gun, hunted a bit and then headed over to the memory bird gunners). I left after watching a little Golden female nail it (THAT Golden wasn't "light in the water"!!! :wink: )..

Set-up for the 4th series:

First bird down was the long memory bird, way down the slough (north), a dead bird thrown R-L from up on top of the bank down into the slough just along the shore into a small marshy outcropping. LOOONG swim in what I would call big water for a young dog, down a good sized slough (sorry, I'm not good at estimating distances..).

The second bird was the live shot L-R, straight across the slough up on the opposite side, back from the shore a ways, landing in tall grass.

The banks are high enough that the dogs lost sight of the live gun station (go bird) enroute. Since I could only stay to watch one dog run, I don't know how the others did, but I wouldn't be surprised if that little Golden female places right up there.. Her name, Jaco's Red Desert Cider (6/29/04 AFC Jaco x Semper Splashdown Starry Skye), owned by Gale Mettenbrink, handled by Jerry Patopea.

drdawg
04-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Bente, good description of that last series in the Derby! It was a difficult memory bird that was at about 180-200 yards, but the difficulty was in staying in the channel and parralelling the shore line past the gunners. A number of dogs appear to have done it well as the placements I heard were 1) Carbon Copy of the Big Tip - All Delgesso/ Wayne Barret
2) Riverrun's True North - Jim Gonia/Marty Peterson 3) Jaco's Red Desert Cider - Jerry Potopea/Gale Mettenbrink. Sorry I do not know the others!

ANYONE know the Amateur placements??

Lee

drdawg
04-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Guess I get to answer my own question. I just got word from Harry Bennetts on placements! The usual cast of characters:
1) NFC Chopper - Frankie K
2) Augie - Oly Jackson
3) Timshal - John Ball
4) Wags - Jim Borsenberry
R Jam - Pirate - Gary Zellner
Jam Casey - Herskowitz