PDA

View Full Version : CT's First NAHRA Club - Nutmeg Retriever Association

brucecaplin
05-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Our Inaugural test is filling up fast. Thought I'd post the premium info here: It's also available at www.nahra.org and by emailing me at BSCaplin@aol.com

Nutmeg retriever association
(CT?s first NAHRA club)
Will hosts its Inaugural
HUNTING RETRIEVER FIELD TEST
Licensed by the NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING RETRIEVER ASSOCIATION
at Nod Brook Wild Life Management Area, Simsbury, CT
June 24th. & 25th. 2006

ENTRIES: All entries must be made in advance and are to be sent to:
Lynn Caplin
FT Secretary
23 Lake Road
Ridgefield, CT 06877-1607
T: 203.431.2921
E: BSCaplin@aol.com

Please make checks payable to: Nutmeg Retriever Assoc. (NRA). Incomplete or late entries will not be accepted. Entries will close with the field test secretary on Wednesday, June 21, 2006, at 7:00 p.m. PLEASE NOTE: PURSUANT TO THE NAHRA RULES AND REGULATIONS, ENTRIES MAY BE TAKEN UP TO FRIDAY, JUNE 23RD. 2006. HOWEVER, YOU WILL NOT Be listed IN THE FT CATALOGUE.

Drawing for the running order will take place immediately thereafter.

CATEGORY DATE PLACE TIME ENTRY FEE GAME

Started and Sun. 6/25 Nod Brook, Simsbury CT Not before 8:30 am $50.00 Duck
Intermediate Sat.6/24 Not before 9:00 AM $55.00 Duck
Senior Sat. 6/24 not before 8:30 am $60.00 Duck and/or Pigeon

NON-NAHRA MEMBERS PLEASE ADD AN ADDITIONAL $5.00 PER DOG ONTO YOUR ENTRY FEE

JUDGES
Started & Tom Johnston, PA; Larry Housman, MD

Intermediate Tom Johnston, PA; Larry Housman, MD

Senior: Wayne Goodrich, VT; Denise Murchison, ME

NRA, Inc. reserves the right to assign Auxiliary Judges if necessary.

PRIZES
Official NAHRA rosettes and bands will be awarded to all qualifying dogs.
(We have a special ?desert storm? camo ribbon offered for our first ft)

SCRATCHES
All scratches must be accompanied by a Veterinarian?s certificate if received after the closing date. Refunds for injuries or bitches in heat only, $10.00 handling charge deducted.

FIELD TEST COMMITTEE
CHAIRPERSON: Bruce Caplin
FIELD TEST SECRETARY: Lynn Caplin
GUN CAPTAIN: Don goff
MEMBERS: Cindy Gorton, Dawn Sewchuk, Chris Pittiti

CLUB OFFICERS
PRESIDENT: Bruce Caplin, 23 Lake Road, Ridgefield, CT 06877-1607
VICE-PRESIDENT: Don Goff32 Marino Dr., Milford, CT 06460
TREASURER/secty:: Lynn Caplin, 23 Lake Road, Ridgefield, CT 06877-1607
Board of Directors: Jim Lee, Robert Ramsey, Dawn Sewchuk

FIELD TEST HEADQUARTERS
Just past the main gate to the property. Look for the big blue tent. Stop by. Say hello., pick up your catalogue and have some fun!.

Please Note

Nod Brook Management Area is a state flood control area set aside by the State of Connecticut specifically for dog training and trials. We are very fortunate to have such an area available for our use. During the field test, the area is closed to all other use. However, some people, especially those that live nearby or that use the area for fishing, believe that it is a public park and that they have a right to pursue their activities. If anyone interferes with the progress of the field test, please be courteous. Do NOT personally interfere. Let the Marshal or a committee member handle all problems with the public. Thank You.

LODGING
New Motel 5 minutes from Nod Brook:
Residence Inn ? Rt. 10, Avon (pets allowed) 860-678-1666

Other Hotels near Nod Brook (expensive)
Iron Horse Inn ? Rt. 10, Simsbury - 860-658-2216
Avon Old Farms Hotel - Rt. 44, Avon ? 860-677-1651
Simsbury Inn ? Rt. 10, Simsbury ? 860-651-5700

Cheaper But further away:
Hillside Motel ? Rt. 44 Canton ? 860-693-4951

Those coming from the North can stay in Windsor Locks near Bradley Airport (Rt. 75 and 20 off I-91 (exit 40). These Hotels are about 30 minutes from Nod Brook with no traffic); ask about policy concerning dogs in rooms:
Baymont Inn ? Windsor Locks 860-623-3336 (dogs allowed in rooms)
Motel 6 Windsor Locks 860-292-6200
Fairfield Inn Windsor Locks 860-627-9333, 800-228-2800
Days Inn Windsor Locks 860-623-9417
Ramada Inn Windsor Locks 860-623-9494
Doubletree Windsor Locks 860-627-5171
Sheraton Hotel at Bradley Airport 860-627-5311

Enfield, CT
Motel 6 ? Route 190, Enfield 860-741-3685
Red Roof Inn ? Route 190, Enfield 860-741-2571
Super 8 ? Route 5, Enfield 860-741-3636

Those coming from the West on I-84 may wish to stay in Southington:
Motel 6 - Queen St. Southington 860-621-7351
Comfort Inn - Queen St. Southington 860-276-0736

DIRECTIONS

Nod Brook Management area is 1.5 miles north of Avon Center (intersection of Routes 44,10 and 202) on Routes 10 and 202. The entrance is just north of the Simsbury line and the Northeast Utilities Building. The entrance is the driveway for the Tower Business Park on the right as you travel north from Avon. Look for the brick walls. If you are coming south on 10 and 202, look for the Tower Business Park entrance on the left about a half mile past the Hartford Insurance Company (also on the left).

From the east, west and south, the easiest route is to take the Route 4 Farmington exit off I-84. Go West on Route 4 to Farmington Center. Turn right on Route 10 (north). Follow Route 10 as it meets and takes a left turn with Route 44 and then meets and takes a right turn off of 44 with Route 202 at Avon Center. We do not recommend taking Route 44 through Hartford.

From the north, there are two ways. You can pick up Route 10 in Westfield Mass (Exit 3 off Route 90 (Mass Pike) - Route 10/202 is hard to follow through Westfield, watch signs carefully and follow it south into CT and through Granby and Simsbury. Or you can take I91 Exit 40 (Bradley Airport exit) and follow Route 20 to Granby center where it intersects with Route 10/202. Turn left at Granby center to head south on Route 10/202 toward Simsbury.

If you are traveling west on I-84 from Boston or Rhode Island, take Route 291 (exit 61). Follow I-291 to Route 218 (exit 1)At end of exit turn left on Route 218 and continue (through several traffic lights) until you reach Route 185. Turn right and drive to Route 10/202 and turn left. The Tower Park entrance to Nod Brook will be approximately 1 mile down on your left.

Waiver of Liability: Nutmeg Retriever Association (NRA), the North American Hunting Retriever Association (NAHRA) and the owners/operators of the field test grounds are not responsible for any damages and/or injuries sustained to humans, animals and/or property while on the field test grounds or traveling to and from the field test grounds. All participants, spectators and guests recognize that this is an outdoor gunning event and attend at their own risk and agree to hold harmless NRA, NAHRA, their officers, the field test committee and the field test property owners/operators from any and all claims of personal property loss, damages and/or injury. Filing of subject Official NAHRA entry form constitutes acceptance of the above terms.

HOSPITALITY
HRA will be BBQ?ing burgers and dogs and fixins during the day for those that care to indulge. We will request a small donation to help the club.

brucecaplin
06-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Looks like we'll have a very very nice turn out. Our dance card is getting loaded up. If you'd like to enter, the premium and official NAHRA entry forms are available at

www.nahranews.org

thanx

bruce

brucecaplin
06-28-2006, 07:22 AM
The weekend was a great success. Good entries, good raffle, good BBQ. I couldn't have started this club or run an event without the help of so many folks in the NAHRA family. All the members from Nutmeg HRA that came out and gunned, threw, cooked and help clean up ...in a torrential down pour. Thanks. It's our club and we showed the region a fledgling organization can get it started.

I want to give huge thanks to my fellow members of Hudson Highlands who so generously supported the Nutmeg event with entries and most importantly, the use of the HHHRA trailer and equipment. I owe you guys big!....I also owe you 8 boxes of poppers and 4 boxes of steel ;-)

My deep appreciation and profound thanks goes to all the members of our sister club, Navasink HRA. You people are true examples of what is so magical about this program. For those that don't know, Debbie, Scott U and family, the Howells Tom M. the Cherasias (and I know I'm leaving someone out...) came up to support the club. Some with entries and hard work and donations for the raffle, and like the Unkels, just to come up and man a stake and keep it running smoothly. I am humbled.

While the weather was brutal, the camraderie, dog work, judging, etc more than made up for the thorough soaking we all received.

I also have to give a huge thanks to our judges, who not only set up challenging and enjoyable tests, but welcomed all the handlers with good spirits, laughs, insight and in the case of Larry and Tom in started, lots and lots of great advice for all the newbies.

Lastly, I cannot begin to tell you how appreciative I am of my wife, Lynn. I had basically shang-hai'd her into working with me on this club and she not only rose the occasion, but shined. I feel very fortunate to have someone like her in my life that enjoys the same insane sport I do. Thank you.

Nutmeg Retriever Association is up to about 20 + members. Our first event was a success. The club made some money to purchase equipment and the new t-shirts were flying off the table. We are looking forward to a bigger event next year and welcome all our NAHRA family to join us again.

NAHRA is alive and well in New England! Lastly, don't forgoet to check out nahranews.org for information and a premium on new Maine club's August Field Test.