PDA

View Full Version : HELP WITH CHANGE FROM PUPPY FOOD

Old School Labs
07-25-2006, 11:36 AM
I need your help to make an educated decision on the switch coming for my new pup. She will be coming off Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy to an adult food soon. I would greatly appreciate all your help in going to a brand that will be good for her. I am not into the natural foods, but if best for her no problem, I just need a quality food that will work. I do not know if some of the premium products are availble in northern Colorado, that might be an issue. She will be in training and running Hunt Test, so protein/fat will need to be looked at as well as other ingredients. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark
"Old School Labs"

RemsBPJasper
07-26-2006, 12:14 PM
First, do a search here on dog food, you will come up with an endless list no doubt.

Dog Food 101:

If you are not switching right to Pro Plan Large Breed Adult, then you can look at products like Nutro, Eukanuba/Iams, Innova. Some people feed Arkat. I personally don't prefer those with by-product meal. Stay away from Science Diet unless you need a prescription food from the vet. Eukanuba and Iams are ok but I think you can get just as good, if not better, for less money. Innova is a little more "holisitc." Stay away from Beneful, just full of veggie fillers. Wellness or Merrick foods are more holistic/natural as well but not necessarily with fillers. They provide a wide variety of meat and protein sources. Merrick's canned foods are some of the only I've found that don't list water or broth as the first ingredient. They are expensive however. If you want to go really expensive (which you don't need to) look at Royal Canin. Canidae is a nice food, a little on the expensive side, but if I remember most of their foods don't have glucosamine/chondroitin. Back to Basics had a good run because their food are made to order and are thus fresher. Another thing to keep in mind is that ingredients are listed by weight. In some cases, where it says chicken, there is a lot of water weight, versus chicken meal, which is dried then ground.

These are mostly the store carried foods, they are plenty of others out there that I'm not even hitting on. The simple fact is, decide what you want, what you can and can't live with in a food. Once you get up into the top quality foods, it's just a matter of what works best for your dog.

I think that's enough for now lol.

Kourtney