Does anyone have results?

thanks

kljohnston
09-27-2006, 12:07 AM
2nd hand ....
open 1st volwoods peaches and cream, jack vollstedt
amateur 1st widgeon's carbon chip, tom hartl
qual 1st, peaches, gonia
derby 1st, bob morris (dont know dog name)
and i havent heard any other results other than 18 dogs scratched from amateur due to poor grounds

Gun_Dog2002
09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
2nd hand ....
open 1st volwoods peaches and cream, jack vollstedt
amateur 1st widgeon's carbon chip, tom hartl
qual 1st, peaches, gonia
derby 1st, bob morris (dont know dog name)
and i havent heard any other results other than 18 dogs scratched from amateur due to poor grounds

Wasn't this held on Sauvie Island?

/Paul

Lynn Moore
09-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Kim,
Will you elaborate? What was it up there that caused so many to scratch?
Thanks,
Lynn

kljohnston
09-28-2006, 06:05 PM
In the last several years the area over the dyke at Sauvie Island has become covered in black berries and stickers. The last few trials the club has been using a beautiful piece of property on the island owned by Bob Reeder which has made it a very nice trial to go to. I guess this year, for reasons I dont know as I was not there (judging Cimarron) they ran the Amateur over that dyke and the dogs were bothered a great deal by the stickers. I remember running a few years back in those stickers and vowed to never do it again. My poor dog walked tender footed trying to find his way to a bird avoiding as much as he could.
I highly doubt this years scratches had anything to do with the actual tests or judges, just less than desirable grounds.

Gun_Dog2002
09-28-2006, 10:04 PM
In the last several years the area over the dyke at Sauvie Island has become covered in black berries and stickers. The last few trials the club has been using a beautiful piece of property on the island owned by Bob Reeder which has made it a very nice trial to go to. I guess this year, for reasons I dont know as I was not there (judging Cimarron) they ran the Amateur over that dyke and the dogs were bothered a great deal by the stickers. I remember running a few years back in those stickers and vowed to never do it again. My poor dog walked tender footed trying to find his way to a bird avoiding as much as he could.
I highly doubt this years scratches had anything to do with the actual tests or judges, just less than desirable grounds.

I judged a master test in those stickers back in August, but due to the heat we stayed around water for all the series and found a way around them. I have to admit those grounds are in worse shape them I've seen them. Some of the local club members were saying that ODFW was suppose to spray the grounds to kill off the stickers in Sept/Oct timeframe.

/Paul

Gary Wayne Abbott I
09-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Picture hundreds of acres composed of approximately:

60% Blackberry
20% Thistle
15% Tansy Ragwort
5% dead grass

Most all of the above 3-4 feet tall.

Mow it about six weeks ago so that about half half of the most resilient of these plants grow back to about 2 feet tall the other half remain as cut off stubs about four inches tall.

We had one dog that placed in the Qualifying that just stopped limping on Wednesday from puncture wounds and abrasions on her feet.

As a side note I heard that both the Qualifying and Amateur (the two stakes held on the poor grounds) tests were both extremely good. Kudos to the Judges.

FOM
09-29-2006, 09:20 AM
I have visited OR a few times. I never had the pleasure of picking wild blackberries growing up, so my husband humored me as it brought back childhood memories for him and I have to say those SOB's hurt! I can only imagine the cover there at the trial grounds....

FOM

kljohnston
09-29-2006, 09:25 AM
does anyone have the results ?