PDA

View Full Version : Owen's dog boxes??

sportsman
03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm looking into buying an aluminum dog box to put in my pickup, which I have a cap on, so the box will not be exposed to the elements. I'm checking out the Owen's boxes. Particularly models #55015 (may be a bit small?) and #55019. They're on the page linked below.
http://www.owens-pro.com/hunter.php
Does anyone know how the quality of these boxes are?
How about the lock/latch?
What dimensions do you get your boxes in?
I was going to get a 2 dog box, so I have space for a future dog, but I don't want a box 45" deep...it'll eat up too much space in my 6' bed. Any suggestions on other brands? I really would like to avoid paying a ton of cash for a box that won't be exposed to weather. Thanks.

MDbaydog
03-22-2007, 09:46 AM
I have one of the Owens double box's that I bought about two months ago ,used from a local add. It is about two years old and still has a good shine on the aluminum. The latches and locks work good and the welds are smooth with no rough edges on them. The only thing I can see wrong with it is that the handles have started to rust a little and I will paint them when I get a chance, or If I wanted they would not be hard to replace. If you are buying the single box you might be better off spending a little more for the larger box even if you don't need the extra size now. I do not know how these compare with the other brands of boxes as I have not really checked them out and bought this one because it was a good price for a lightly used box. One other option you have with a cap on your truck would be a nice plastic type kennel.

sportsman
03-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I already have a plastic crate I'm using. I'm basically looking to get something that's more stable/sturdy. How much does that 2 dog box weigh?

YardleyLabs
03-22-2007, 01:49 PM
One person can pretty easily load it into a truck or get it down again.

MDbaydog
03-22-2007, 04:40 PM
I have the Owens 55006 and it weighs 118 pounds. They list the weights on doggonepet.com.