PDA

View Full Version : Retriever Demonstration at Dog Expo

junbe
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
The Blackhawk Retriever Club will be putting on a demonstration at the Family Dog Center in La Crosse WI , June 23. This is an annual event called a Dog Expo. This is a great way for the club to outreach to the community. Many of the people involved here deal with obedience and agility and have never seen retrievers work in the field. Also it is a new way to get people involved in BRC's activities and training. Here is a website for additional information for this day-long event :

http://www.familydogcenter.com/.

Last fall the BRC gave a demonstration to the Gateway Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America. This Trailblazer Camporee had over 1,000 Boy Scouts in attendance. For many of the Scouts, this was their first experience with a trained retriever.

PS I'd rather be in Utah running an event, but this is my consolation prize.

Jack

junbe
06-24-2007, 07:40 AM
I was very pleased with the outcome of the retriever demonstration. After the demonstration I was held over for about an hour answering questions. There is a lot of misconception about field trial dogs with the general public and the dog fancy. First, I think the observers were surprised about how calm my dogs were. They could interact with the kids and seemed very laid back in this environment. They also did not realize that field trial dogs could be house dogs and family pets. They were under the impression that you could not hunt with field trial dogs since they would be too hyper. Finally they asked about force training. There is a wide negative connotation about the word ‘force.’ At the end of the demonstration the owner of the facility came to me and said that in their obedience classes they have many people who would like to advance to gun dog training, and asked if our club could help. I think this over all was a great public relations for the field trial community.

Jack

Kristie Wilder
06-24-2007, 08:40 AM
I was very pleased with the outcome of the retriever demonstration. After the demonstration I was held over for about an hour answering questions. There is a lot of misconception about field trial dogs with the general public and the dog fancy. First, I think the observers were surprised about how calm my dogs were. They could interact with the kids and seemed very laid back in this environment. They also did not realize that field trial dogs could be house dogs and family pets. They were under the impression that you could not hunt with field trial dogs since they would be too hyper. Finally they asked about force training. There is a wide negative connotation about the word ‘force.’ At the end of the demonstration the owner of the facility came to me and said that in their obedience classes they have many people who would like to advance to gun dog training, and asked if our club could help. I think this over all was a great public relations for the field trial community.

Jack

sounds great. Super job... Thanks to blackhawk members for helping our sport... Hope you get some new club members!

-K