PDA

View Full Version : Louder Gunner's Up. Any Suggestions?

R Williams
10-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I have the Gunner's Up Launchers and they have worked great but for long marks (over 200 yards) and windy conditions the 209 primmer report just is not loud enough. Sometimes I cannot hear it and it appears as though the dogs can't hear it in certain conditions.

I have a welding shop (I can weld steel and aluminum) and am considering retooling the release mech. so that it can fire a larger device or maybe multiple primers.

If multiple primers would work that would be the most efficient cost wise.

I am currently using the 209M (Magnum) primers.

Before I jump into this I wanted to see if anyone else has rigged a device that gives a louder report and possibly get some information on what has worked and what has not.

Are two primers fired at the same time that much louder than just one?
Because I have figured out a way to simply rig it to fire two or one depending on the distance.
I would still like to be able to fire just one for short marks without having to do a lot of swapping of devices that take up time.

Any suggestions?

Rich

TroyFeeken
10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Just a thought, but how about making a sound tube or horn shaped end near the primer. Then you can direct the area of the report....

R Williams
10-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I have drilled holes in the sound chamber like most have but have not considered a directional device.
I will have to think on that.
What about a directional device with an amplifier?
How would you keep it portable and above all cost effective (cheap)

Brain storming in progress

More ideas please.

TroyFeeken
10-11-2007, 05:50 PM
There are folding tin wind screens that I use when backpacking to protect my camp stoves... perhaps you could design up a device that would mimic that. Light, cheap, collapsible.

Although it would be funny to have an old brass horn out in the field :)

R Williams
10-11-2007, 06:57 PM
I have had weirder looking things out there.

I have been known to hang jamm boxes in the trees turned up to create distractions.

Jason Ferris
10-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi Rich

I love brainstorming this sort of stuff. As an alternative to modifying the GU release, have you thought about rigging up a popper gun on a stand connected to your release electronics?

It would be fairly easy to fit a servo to the trigger of a single barrel shotgun, and either wire it in parallel with the release so it goes off at the same time as your winger, or use the accessory plug (assuming you are using TT electronics) to operate the gun seperately.

I look forward to reading about the final solution you develop.

Regards, Jason.

R Williams
10-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I do use TT but I do not want to purchase three more shot guns and the poppers are expensive for as much as I use them.

I am still leaning more towards amplifying the 209M primmer or primers

I had originally thought about drilling out the primmer hole to take 32 blanks but decided against it when I found out the cost of 32's

I am only throwing marks for a 10 dogs at a time but that adds up quick.