PDA

View Full Version : SeekingTraining Program Suggestions

TheNewGuy
12-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Hello All

I have a new chessie pup I am wanting to train for hunt tests. Can anyone suggest a good training program to purchase. :confused:

Sabireley
12-17-2007, 06:19 PM
The Mike Lardy Videos are good and are available at www.totalretriever.com

The Dave Rorem Judy Aycock Basics video is excellent. It is well done and easy to follow. Especially the Force Fetch and Collar Conditioning section. It is only $40.

I have not used the Evan Graham books and videos, but other people like them.

All of the programs are by students of Rex Carr and are very similar.

Good Luck.

Steve

TheNewGuy
12-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Steve,

Thanks for your input

Chris Atkinson
12-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Steve,

Thanks for your input

If you get the Lardy materials, you would be well served to also get the Volume I and Volume II articles as well. These supplement the video material nicely.

Chris

Sabireley
12-18-2007, 04:57 AM
Chris is right about getting the Lardy articles volumes 1 and 2. It fills in a lot of information that is glossed over in the videos. I have Total Retriever Training and Total Retriever Marking plus the articles. That is close to $300.

The Farmer/Aycock basics video is a really good place to start. The price is good and I think they do a nice job laying out the "why" to basic training. All of these programs use a foundation of force to make retrievers reliable under pressure. I think the Farmer/Aycock video does a good job explaining how pressure is introduced and built upon as you progress.

Good Luck!