PDA

View Full Version : Bird Dog Challenge in WI Feb.1-3

duke7581
01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Is anyone going to this and is it worth the drive. Do you know if it will be for flushing and pointing dogs. I really enjoy watching on TV and thinkin about comin over to watch.

Sadie & Ruby
01-23-2008, 09:42 AM
I will be going to this event, the Top Gun Championships. This will be my second year in attendance and I will say it is probably the best run Super Major there is. The event consists of qualifying runs for all divisions (Amatuer, puppy, masters, and the main event for both flushing and pointing divisions) on Friday and Saturday, and the the run off and the womens division is on Sunday. In the past you could spectate at all fields each day, but I understand this year that this will be less due to complaints about the traffic on the roads around the club. Given the process of this competition it is also leveling out the playing field by having less competitors watching plants and fields to know when a bird is missed or where the plant locations are.

The event is full so there will definitely be a lot of excitement around the area as there will be nearly 700 runs conducted from Friday to Sunday.

I will be competing in the Puppy Flusher and Main Event Flusher with my 15 month old YLF, her mom was just put on the injured reserve list due to an infection in the pad of her right rear leg. I am going to have a difficult time having her up there and not competing with her, but that is the price you have to pay to get her better.

JoAnn Stancer
01-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Where is this event located? Do you know who the judges are?

Sadie & Ruby
01-24-2008, 07:54 AM
The event will be held at the Little Creek Lodge, it is on Sampson Road about 3 miles east of Hwy 141/41. I do not know who all the judges are.

150class
01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
is this the show Ive been seeing on TV where guys chase their dogs around almost running after them trying to get the 3 birds faster than the other dog?

duke7581
01-24-2008, 09:56 PM
yes it is really catchng on but some of those pointers i think need to be FF

Sadie & Ruby
01-24-2008, 10:05 PM
That is the show. The game is very different than what most of you HT and FT think as a trained behavior, but being a player I can say that it takes a great deal of time, money, and training to execute the task at a competitive level. I run labs, and have friend that run labs and pointers, the pointers are an interesting group in themselves. The game is geared to getting any hunter out in a competition format. I love the game but am having to decrease my playing due to the cost, travel, and now having a six month old son.

Kevin WI
01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
I watched the show...if some of those guys trained their dogs on blinds, they would have won....they just pointed the lab in the direction and used the huntmup routine which cost them on time. Still looks like fun...If I could shoot worth a damn, I'd enter!:)

yellow machine
01-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Looks like they focus on the natural ability of the dog. I wonder if FT or HT is so concerned about style that is takes away from developing the dogs natural instincs? Just a thought. Looks like GDC is makeing a strong push to develope and capture the market on TV. GDC is very open to new comers and welcomes them in.

Darin Westphal
01-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Am I correct in that the dogs entered can be wearing their ecollars? I watched it last night and it certianly looked like some had them on.

I don't know all of the dogs that run in these events, but it looks like very few play hunt tests as well. The only one that I know of with HT titles is Cash and he's MHR and MH. Had the pleasure to watch him at some NAHRA tests and he's a machine in the uplands. Do the dogs entered in these events also run HT's in the summer?

Golddogs
01-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Looks like they focus on the natural ability of the dog. I wonder if FT or HT is so concerned about style that is takes away from developing the dogs natural instincs? Just a thought. Looks like GDC is makeing a strong push to develope and capture the market on TV. GDC is very open to new comers and welcomes them in.

Most of the dogs that run this event I would not want anywhere near me when hunting. And yes, I have done a few compition hunts. Not my bag. A well trained Ht dog is a joy to hunt with and most compition dogs are not. They are geared to go as fast as they can and the ones that place in the money are trained to do just that. They are very good at what they do, but my idea of a fun day doesn't include running after my dog with a loaded gun.

There is another group that does not allow running . For me, that is more enjoyable.

Sadie & Ruby
02-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Most of the dogs are not HT dogs, but the breeders that play the game well do have AKC HT titles on their breeding dogs. I am a player of this game and agree that some of the dogs do run a bit big, and if you talk to their handlers they will tell you that many times that action has cost them the tournament, but a lucky flush back at the handler in range can get them the winning time.

My dogs run close and that is a reason that I don't do all that well in these tournaments, but they run consistant and when the big runners don't capitalize, I do.

My puppy (YLF) took 3rd place this weekend in the Puppy flusher division, her first podium appearance in a Super Major... It was a very proud moment for me and my wife as we have trained her on our own and the accomplishment feels unbelievable.

Chris S.
02-04-2008, 09:53 AM
My puppy (YLF) took 3rd place this weekend in the Puppy flusher division, her first podium appearance in a Super Major... It was a very proud moment for me and my wife as we have trained her on our own and the accomplishment feels unbelievable.

Congratulations!

Sadie & Ruby
02-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks, there is a reason we put so much time into these dogs... the feeling of accomplishment for both the dog and myself is awesome.