PDA

View Full Version : anybody know about Blastomycosis

stick5
03-26-2008, 08:04 AM
I have a second lab come down with Blasto in the last 18 months. The first I had put down, and this one is on Itraconazole for at least 30 days. This may not kick it either.

Jennih40
03-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Try this link. http://www.canismajor.com/dog/blstomyc.html My sis works at a University Vet School and has told me for years that it is usually found in the ground and there is not much you can do to treat the ground.

Good luck!

TopGaugeGundogs
03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
We lost our CLM to Blasto last October after a very long fight. It is a very nasty bug. The area that I live in is one of the world hot spots for blasto, Kenora Ontario. It is a spore most from freshly disturbed acidic soil that is normally inhaled. It can stay dormant for anywhere up to 6 months, but the thinking now is that the dormancy may be able to last longer. It can cause infections in the lungs, heart, brain, eyes, muscles and skin lesions. Infections of the brain are usually fatal, in the eyes almost always cause blindness, and heart can cause arrhythmias. The treatment that was recommended is the standard, though our vet who sees more blasto cases than almost any other vet anywhere uses a regime of 2 pills for the first month then 1 per day for 5 more months. One more thought, there is now a urine test that can be done, I cannot recall the name of it, but it is a positive or negative test. I believe this is the first blasto specific test.

Any other questions let me know, I should be able to find an answer if I don't know it already.