PDA

View Full Version : SMHRA AKC Hunting Test, Waseca MN

HiRollerlabs
04-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Blizzards in SD that moved into parts of MN kept a few handlers/dogs away. However, for the most part, folks showed up and the sun broke through late morning and the little snow we had melted away. Wind was gusting around 35 mph.

We finished Master (40 dogs) with 7 qualifications. Junior started 31 dogs, and qualified 20.

Today we have another Junior and a Senior. Should be a nice day. Sun is coming up and the sky is clear.

Boondux
04-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks Ann - Glad to hear that you got some sun!

stonybrook
04-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Can someone that was there give an account of the Master test set ups? I was unable to attend but had a dog running his first Master test on Saturday. Heard that one of the blinds was different in that the dog was to be handled to an area marked by ribbons and then it had to hunt up the bird on it's own from there. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance, congrats to the qualifiers (7 out of 40, yikes)-

Travis

Sue Kiefer
04-27-2008, 12:53 PM
A huntem up at the end of the blind???
Are you sure?
Sue

Darin Westphal
04-27-2008, 03:32 PM
First Master series....Typical triple with an out of order flyer to start it. Probably the most difficult mark of the three. From the gallery it looked to be around 100 yards downhill and into some water. Second mark was then to the right and landing on the backside of a small pond and then the go bird was from the left and thrown into medium cover at around 50. All marks were down hill. Pick'em up and you had a double blind. First blind was inbetween the second mark and the gunnar station for the flyer. Factors looked to be mainly fighting that 30+ mph crosswind and the scent from the old fall that you had to run past. The second blind was outside the marks. Give or take around 100 yards. They had approx 6 ribbons tied outlining a "pocket" if you will. You handled the dog into that "pocket". once your dog got between the ribbons, you could no longer handle unless the dog exited. Then you could handle him back. Finish all of that and then you got to honor the next working dog until the triple was down.

Second series was a out of order flyer double. I didn't see these from the line so I'm not sure how long they were. Memory bird's line (flyer) was all dry but the go bird (dead) started dry, then wet as you went through a cattail slough and then dry again. From what I saw, most the dogs that made it to the second series finished it.

No idea what they did after that as I headed home.

DJSchuur
04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Can someone that was there give an account of the Master test set ups? I was unable to attend but had a dog running his first Master test on Saturday. Heard that one of the blinds was different in that the dog was to be handled to an area marked by ribbons and then it had to hunt up the bird on it's own from there. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance, congrats to the qualifiers (7 out of 40, yikes)-

Travis

yes that is what i heard as well

stonybrook
04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
First Master series....Typical triple with an out of order flyer to start it. Probably the most difficult mark of the three. From the gallery it looked to be around 100 yards downhill and into some water. Second mark was then to the right and landing on the backside of a small pond and then the go bird was from the left and thrown into medium cover at around 50. All marks were down hill. Pick'em up and you had a double blind. First blind was inbetween the second mark and the gunnar station for the flyer. Factors looked to be mainly fighting that 30+ mph crosswind and the scent from the old fall that you had to run past. The second blind was outside the marks. Give or take around 100 yards. They had approx 6 ribbons tied outlining a "pocket" if you will. You handled the dog into that "pocket". once your dog got between the ribbons, you could no longer handle unless the dog exited. Then you could handle him back. Finish all of that and then you got to honor the next working dog until the triple was down.

Second series was a out of order flyer double. I didn't see these from the line so I'm not sure how long they were. Memory bird's line (flyer) was all dry but the go bird (dead) started dry, then wet as you went through a cattail slough and then dry again. From what I saw, most the dogs that made it to the second series finished it.

No idea what they did after that as I headed home.

Thanks for the info, Darin. I'm guessing that my dog was one of the 33 and not one of the 7. Dangit!!! Anyway, how'd Tuck do? Did he title? Pretty sweet to get 2 titles 2 weekends in a row.

Travis

Scott Greenwood
05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
2 scratches so actually 31 master dogs. 7 passes out of 31 dogs this early in year sounds like pretty good percentages to me.

Scott