PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota trial

JKL
08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I know its early in the day but any Open news ?

TroyFeeken
08-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't know anything as of yet but will probably give an update tonight.

This trial could be interesting because of the wind we're having here today with gusts of almost 30mph wind. We've also as a club been asking the local farmers to run a series or two on some of the freshly harvested wheat fields. Could make for some monster marks.

JKL
08-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it. I have a dog running his first trial with Farmer and am kinda wondering how he's doing.

Kim Johnston

Tom Watson
08-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Most pros will call you as they are leaving the line, on their way to get the next dog, and give you a report.

JKL
08-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Really? Not in this neck of the woods. Heck, its not uncommon to find out your results thru RTF or personal email before the pro calls. Bad business as far as I am concerned, my husband and I have 7 dogs in training, between home and away.
If I get a call today it will be refreshing and speak well of the pro.

Tom Watson
08-22-2008, 03:09 PM
I guess you couldn't see my "tongue in my cheek" through cyberspace. Good luck with your dog this weekend.

JKL
08-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Oops, missed that! Darn, I was hoping for something better!
Well, I suppose I should feel fortunate to have company in this boat I am in!

JKL
08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Did the Open finish the 1st series today ? Callbacks ? I am looking for #24.

Richard Halstead
08-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Most pros will call you as they are leaving the line, on their way to get the next dog, and give you a report.

The pros that were training my and the co owners rarely ever called let alone
between series. Bartlett called when he had finished the FC on Elwood.
Rick Stawkski called after Dobber (Assistant Coach) had stepped on the marks and lined the land blind, but the next day failed the water blind. The rest were pretty much call us we won't call you.

JKL
08-22-2008, 10:59 PM
And the ones I have dealt with dont always call back. I figure I will just rely on the good people at RTF to let me know how my dog is doing!

Jeff Bartlett
08-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Really? Not in this neck of the woods. Heck, its not uncommon to find out your results thru RTF or personal email before the pro calls. Bad business as far as I am concerned, my husband and I have 7 dogs in training, between home and away.
If I get a call today it will be refreshing and speak well of the pro.

SHUT UP AND JUST WAIT UNTIL THURSDAY AND YOULL GET A CALL

Jeff Bartlett
08-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Did the Open finish the 1st series today ? Callbacks ? I am looking for #24.
24 MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST CALL DANNY AND ASK HIM

Henry V
08-22-2008, 11:21 PM
1st series of open finished today. Did not see it but heard it was a quad in harvested wheat field with two gunners that retired to layout blinds. Heard marks were not long (200 yd max). Lots of difficulty.

Q is done. Ledford won and Avant took the remaining places. I am sure someone will post the details and correct any inaccuracies.

Weather is cool and windy.

JKL
08-22-2008, 11:58 PM
24 MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST CALL DANNY AND ASK HIM

I sent a text message tonight.

JeffLusk
08-23-2008, 12:18 AM
I sent a text message tonight.

Hahaha!! I think its awesome when people my moms age can text! My mom can text yes and no. My dad doesn't even know what a text message is.

JKL
08-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Hey...watch who you call old! I may be old enough to be your mom but I can still throw a bird.

JeffLusk
08-23-2008, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't do that! I have to be nice, I'm still hoping for you to throw birds from me one day. Or you may judge me in a trial one day! :)

tshuntin
08-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I have heard a trend about pro's not calling their clients to give them updates or at least trial results. This has always just blown me away! I can see not calling after each series but, I would think they would possibly call at the end of the day or at least after the trial is over. Maybe this surprises me because I have always worked my proffessional carreer in business/industry that centers around sales and customer service but, it still just blows me away.

I guess some clients can be a royal pain in the butt and the pro's at times just want to try and avoid talking to them but, isn't that a part of the job?

JKL, good luck with #24.

ps. I also think it is cool when people my parents age (which I am guessing you are younger than them) can text. It has taken my mom a long time to kind of figure it out and like Lusk, my dad doesn't have a clue. :) .

Rude Dog
08-23-2008, 09:55 AM
I think it must depend on the Pro. Dave Rorem calls us every Sunday with a recap of the tests, Abby's work and focus of future training.

Hope the ND trial goes well for all involved.

Julie

budsdad
08-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I think it must depend on the Pro. Dave Rorem calls us every Sunday with a recap of the tests, Abby's work and focus of future training.

Hope the ND trial goes well for all involved.

Julie

Congratulations on Abby's win last week, by the way! I was in MN training last two weeks and she was awesome! Paulette actually called the win on Wednesday.

Rude Dog
08-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks Marty! That was fun to read. Did you give her a hug for us? :) Sure do miss our girl but Dave, Paulette and Ty take very good care of her.

budsdad
08-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks Marty! That was fun to read. Did you give her a hug for us? :) Sure do miss our girl but Dave, Paulette and Ty take very good care of her.

I try to hug all the dogs. We have a 5 month old blf (cosmo X Leica) headed for young dog training next week. This is our first black dog and we hope she turns out to be just like Abby!

cakaiser
08-23-2008, 01:56 PM
I have always found the pro/client relationship strange, we pay them to treat us like dirt. ;-)

I realize they are working, and busy at FTs, but there is absolutely no excuse to not make a phone call to give report on how trial went. They seem to have plenty of time to relate good news. If I pay a $70 handling fee, plus entry fee, I darn sure better hear something.

If they don't call us, we call them, many, many, many times. :rolleyes:

lanse brown
08-23-2008, 02:39 PM
OH Charolette why don't you stop your whining and get the judges, travel arrangements, lunches, ROTC bird boys, live ducks, rooms for judges,all trial equipment organized and please make sure that all the popper guns work, because if one of the pros with 16-23 dogs has a no bird we will have to send him to a minor stake as he will not have brought a helper to run the minor stake and you will have to run Ray now because we only have 8 Amateur dogs and the other seven owners are in the field gunning, remember please allow the club to send to the pro his ribbons and trophy as when the trial is over he/she will be gone. Now that's the time we get to spend with eachother-burying dead birds, picking up hulls and trash at the gun stations, having the sheets signed, taking the judges to their rescheduled plane, thanking the land owners. Come on Charlotte get Dick to help and we will be able to entertain 68 professional run dogs. After all who is the sport for the Amateur owner and his/her dog or to generate handling fees, training fees, travel expenses and add ons for birds and shells-- Get with it and comply or you risk not being popular.

JKL
08-23-2008, 02:50 PM
aint that the truth.....

cakaiser
08-23-2008, 02:50 PM
I hear you, Lanse, don't worry, I am already not popular! :D

JusticeDog
08-23-2008, 03:02 PM
I hear you, Lanse, don't worry, I am already not popular! :D

Gavel loves ya Charlotte! :D And as I got told one time... . you pay no handling fee at _______. (course, it's rolled into the training fee, but who's lookin'? :rolleyes:

My pro now says, "you probably have already heard... " To which I reply, "the internet could never replace you...."

I had one pro that used to thank you for being a client. Never forgot who paid him. I had one who would call when mad at the dog ie: "I've never had to do the walk of shame before in 10 years of training a dog..... " which was met by me laughing so hard I had tears rolling down my face...

cakaiser
08-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Warning, if you don't pick up ribbons/trophies from me at end of trial, you will not be receiving them at all. :razz:

Warning, Dick doesn't buy that bulls*** about the dog being on a pro truck.

Have yet to bury a dead bird, but have trashed many.

Getting judges is a highly over rated job.

The no handling fee is always rolled into next year's rate increase of say, 10-15%, the rest of us are lucky to get 2-3%.

Susan, I love the big guy too, and his Rudy ears!!! :D

Lynn Moore
08-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Good one Lanse!.....and do you know who is responsible for Bill M.'s congratulations from Hog Producing Country, Montana?
Hear he was not too happy about EE printing that in all their catalogues,
Lynn Moore
and thank's for your note for Brook :)

birdthrower51
08-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Just want you all to know that we are lucky. our Pro, Scott Dewey, is pretty darn good about calling after each and every series, each dog. Sometime, when our dogs have a later number, he will call to let us know what the set up is and how his other dogs have done. If he does not call, we get concerned (or assume the dog has not done well)
Granted, there are times when that is not the case, but we appreciate the fact that he keeps us informed when we can not be there.
G Seivert

JKL
08-23-2008, 05:30 PM
any news yet?

birdhunter61
08-23-2008, 07:23 PM
I don't think Danny knows how to text.

jrduffy
08-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Pretty pathetic when someone is looking for call back info and the only thing you get is whinning about how their PRO won't return or make a report call to them. maybe more people should train their own dogs so the phone lines aren't over loaded by these non-sense calls.

Paul Rainbolt
08-23-2008, 08:12 PM
OH Charolette why don't you stop your whining and get the judges, travel arrangements, lunches, ROTC bird boys, live ducks, rooms for judges,all trial equipment organized and please make sure that all the popper guns work, because if one of the pros with 16-23 dogs has a no bird we will have to send him to a minor stake as he will not have brought a helper to run the minor stake and you will have to run Ray now because we only have 8 Amateur dogs and the other seven owners are in the field gunning, remember please allow the club to send to the pro his ribbons and trophy as when the trial is over he/she will be gone. Now that's the time we get to spend with eachother-burying dead birds, picking up hulls and trash at the gun stations, having the sheets signed, taking the judges to their rescheduled plane, thanking the land owners. Come on Charlotte get Dick to help and we will be able to entertain 68 professional run dogs. After all who is the sport for the Amateur owner and his/her dog or to generate handling fees, training fees, travel expenses and add ons for birds and shells-- Get with it and comply or you risk not being popular.
And you need to do this 2 or 3 times a year.

JKL
08-23-2008, 08:23 PM
was I whining?

JeffLusk
08-23-2008, 08:26 PM
was I whining?

nope.. you are acting like a 4 year old on xmas eve though!! :)

Polock
08-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Leave it alone folks, the pro's busy getting thru the day and the weekend.
If ya want to bad mouth......pull yer dawg from the truck......otherwise . SHUT THE HELL UP................

Shayne Mehringer
08-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Good one Lanse!.....and do you know who is responsible for Bill M.'s congratulations from Hog Producing Country, Montana?
Hear he was not too happy about EE printing that in all their catalogues,
Lynn Moore
and thank's for your note for Brook :)

I know, and i can tell you that this has become an incredible nightmare for me and my staff. The phone is ringing off the hook and i get a couple emails a day from folks stating "i can't believe EE would stoop to this level, me - or my club - will never use EE again."

After a personal phone conversaton from me to the club/pissed off handler.... they realize that this is not our responsibility and there is no way anyone on my team would have thought the ad to be malicious.

It is what it is, i've nonated the last two weeks of my life to making sure this is made correct, and doing damage control for my company.

I will only say this..... i've been privvey to some of the formal correspondence between various clubs and AKC on this matter and the clubs involved understand that EE is not rsponsible for these actionas, malilious or otherwise.

You can be assume that the person responsibe has lost all advertising privedlges through EE and that we have done everything within our power to make this right.

SM

tshuntin
08-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Wow, people are sure sensitive about pros not calling topic (and not just the ones who are not getting called). I apologize for starting the discussion about it, I really am. I really didn't think people were really whining about it though. Obviously if people (at least on this thread) were that unhappy about it, they probably would do something about it. I didn't seeing whining or complaining, just a little half hearted wishing. Heck I know Pros are busy and work tremedously hard (a job I greatly respest but would never want) but, I would think many of us work just as hard and long with our jobs as a pro dog trainer does and I would think contact with customers would be part of their jobs.... Maybe I am wrong???

Rude dog, I was not surprised to read that Dave Rorem calls every sunday. Although I have never met him or even talked to him, everything I have heard or read about him shows that he is a true Professional in every sense of the word. Your post shows that is true. Good deal.

Good luck to all of you in this trial and I truly apologize for bringing up something so sensitive and hurting this thread.

Sorry, Travis

K G
08-23-2008, 11:31 PM
I know, and i can tell you that this has become an incredible nightmare for me and my staff. The phone is ringing off the hook and i get a couple emails a day from folks stating "i can't believe EE would stoop to this level, me - or my club - will never use EE again."

After a personal phone conversaton from me to the club/pissed off handler.... they realize that this is not our responsibility and there is no way anyone on my team would have thought the ad to be malicious.

It is what it is, i've nonated the last two weeks of my life to making sure this is made correct, and doing damage control for my company.

I will only say this..... i've been privvey to some of the formal correspondence between various clubs and AKC on this matter and the clubs involved understand that EE is not rsponsible for these actionas, malilious or otherwise.

You can be assume that the person responsibe has lost all advertising privedlges through EE and that we have done everything within our power to make this right.

SM

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.....

Too many Crowns before Shayne posted regards, :D

kg

zipmarc
08-23-2008, 11:46 PM
How about some more trial results, pulleasssseeee???:cool:

Roger Perry
08-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Obviously, there is a problem with signal strength with the cell phones.

jbthor
08-24-2008, 08:01 AM
open call backs to water marks,15 back

jbthor
08-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Amat. 20 back to water blind Sunday AM

Marvin S
08-24-2008, 08:57 AM

SM

Without going into detail - since when did you become responsible for some one else's idea of humor gone awry. Too many in this sport take themselves much to seriously, probably more serious than their fellow competitors.

TBS - most competitors are finding the ad VERY HUMOROUS to say the least, you might consider responding in that manner also.

As one of the other responders to this post theorized, maybe one too many Crowns before you got on the keyboard.

Shayne, I consider you a fairly bright guy - your response to this issue doesn't put you in that category.

JWC
08-24-2008, 09:03 AM
We all know that most pro's are not going to call during a trial. In fact they are not likely to call anyone who's dog did not place during the weekend or the drive home. What most of us want is the information about our dog and we want it with or without the pro's help.

When we are running a trial we usually get the callbacks with an ear for our own dog and those of our friends. Rarely do we take the time to get all the call backs much less post them to the internet. If we would take the time to do that, post ourselves or call someone who will post, we could all help eliminate this information gap. When my friend Tom started asking for all the callbacks so he could post them, I just did not get it. Now while sitting at the computer and constantly checking the internet for a glimpse of my dog, I get it in spades.

We could all do a lot for one another by taking the time to post the callbacks and results. It certainly does not take a pro to do that.

jbthor
08-24-2008, 11:11 AM
amat call backs to water marks 9 back

JKL
08-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Without going into detail - since when did you become responsible for some one else's idea of humor gone awry. Too many in this sport take themselves much to seriously, probably more serious than their fellow competitors.

TBS - most competitors are finding the ad VERY HUMOROUS to say the least, you might consider responding in that manner also.

As one of the other responders to this post theorized, maybe one too many Crowns before you got on the keyboard.

Shayne, I consider you a fairly bright guy - your response to this issue doesn't put you in that category.

had you been at the trials this ad appeared, you would know that this ad was NOT found to be humorous, rather rude and seriously uncalled for. it may be humorous to some but the majority who actually saw the catalogs firsthand were not impressed.

scott spalding
08-24-2008, 11:35 AM
The ad was placed by a very ignorant and selfish man. There was no humor intended.
________
Iolite Vapor (http://www.vaporshop.com)

North Mountain
08-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Marvin,

Would you have found it humorous had the ad been directed at you and your dog?

I know my feelings would have been hurt pretty badly.

Do unto others.........

JusticeDog
08-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Marvin,

Do unto others.........

boy, now I'm wondering what I missed... I think I'm glad I did.

K G
08-24-2008, 03:20 PM
boy, now I'm wondering what I missed... I think I'm glad I did.

Exactly why I posted "ignorance is bliss"..........

kg

Marvin S
08-24-2008, 04:16 PM
had you been at the trials this ad appeared, you would know that this ad was NOT found to be humorous, rather rude and seriously uncalled for. it may be humorous to some but the majority who actually saw the catalogs firsthand were not impressed.

I did plan to be there but had more pressing last minute business including some grandchildren that wanted to see their grandpa on their summer holiday at the beach. A few hugs from your grandkids are a lot more pleasant than any FT I've attended. They are reaching the ages where their schedules are going to get fuller so it may be the last time we can get that many together in the summer. But I would have thought you would have at least sent me a catalog for the $30 scratch fee, especially since I scratched immediately after the draw because of a change in scheduling of a public hearing I had to attend. 1st time I've paid a fee for scratching that early, but I'm sure you charged it to every one else that scratched?

The ad was placed by a very ignorant and selfish man. There was no humor intended.

And you would know what?

Marvin,

Do unto others.........

Laura - lest you forget, my introduction to these forums was on a thread where I was on the receiving end of many comments. Many unfounded, many untrue, many unbased & a few lies but somehow life goes on.

But the funniest thing is - you folks might want to rethink because this appears to be an issue where KG & I are in some sort of agreement.

North Mountain
08-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Laura - lest you forget, my introduction to these forums was on a thread where I was on the receiving end of many comments. Many unfounded, many untrue, many unbased & a few lies but somehow life goes on.

None of those comments were made by me.

Even though life goes on, that does not mean demeaning our competitors in such a fashion is the right thing to do. You can find it funny if you wish. I thinks it's a shame.

Laura

Angie B
08-24-2008, 05:41 PM
So what are the frick'n results for cry'n out loud???? :confused:

I don't care whose pro calls when,,, what amateur/pro didn't work at the last trial or who put an obnoxious ad in Shaynes catalog????

Give me a Break!!!!

Angie

North Mountain
08-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Another thread was started with the results. Scroll down.

Jenn
08-24-2008, 06:04 PM
NDRC results were started on a new thread that pertained to the subject: Below is the link.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29633

Marvin S
08-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Even though life goes on, that does not mean demeaning our competitors in such a fashion is the right thing to do. You can find it funny if you wish. I thinks it's a shame. Laura

I subscribed to the New Yorker for a few years - finally stopped because they became a 1 issue magazine. But they have some of the finest cartoons/cartoonists around. Among my prized possessions is a book of their best cartoons & 2 DVD's of past cartoons. If you knew me well, you would know I'm not a typical New Yorker subscriber, but I try to take humor where I find it, as there is precious little in this world.

But I guess when one is not carrying a full load on their shoulders they tend to react to events from their perspective only. Not saying you, just the comments coming from others posting.

JKL
08-24-2008, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=Marvin S;325017]I did plan to be there but had more pressing last minute business including some grandchildren that wanted to see their grandpa on their summer holiday at the beach. A few hugs from your grandkids are a lot more pleasant than any FT I've attended. They are reaching the ages where their schedules are going to get fuller so it may be the last time we can get that many together in the summer. But I would have thought you would have at least sent me a catalog for the $30 scratch fee, especially since I scratched immediately after the draw because of a change in scheduling of a public hearing I had to attend. 1st time I've paid a fee for scratching that early, but I'm sure you charged it to every one else that scratched?

Except for reasons involving medical or bitch in season, I dont care what your reason for scratching the trial, its none of my business.
As for taking a scratch fee from others, Nope. You are the only one who scratched for a reason other than ones warranting a full refund. The wording in the premium is quite clear regarding scratches and refund of entry fees.
Refund of entry does not include a catalog. If you want a catalog, call Shayne. He might find one in the trash can, nasty ad and all.

JKL
08-24-2008, 08:43 PM
I subscribed to the New Yorker for a few years - finally stopped because they became a 1 issue magazine. But they have some of the finest cartoons/cartoonists around. Among my prized possessions is a book of their best cartoons & 2 DVD's of past cartoons. If you knew me well, you would know I'm not a typical New Yorker subscriber, but I try to take humor where I find it, as there is precious little in this world.

But I guess when one is not carrying a full load on their shoulders they tend to react to events from their perspective only. Not saying you, just the comments coming from others posting.
Of all the persons who have posted on this subject I am curious, who does not carry a full load?

scott spalding
08-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I am nominating marvin for the hall of fame.
________
LAUNCH BOX VAPORIZER (http://mflbvaporizer.com)

JKL
08-24-2008, 11:38 PM
[I][Refund of entry does not include a catalog. If you want a catalog, call Shayne. He might find one in the trash can, nasty ad and all.

Dont take this as a jab at Shayne. What I meant was these particular catalogs are trashed, I have none and the printer, EE, probably threw them away as well, they are in the trash can.
I do not place any fault on EE for the placement of the ad. I would not expect EE to know the history between Bill and Lanse.
My club and Bill and Sarita McKnight are receiving the full support of EE getting this properly handled, and we appreciate it.