PDA

View Full Version : Censorship

sprintwrench75
11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Why is it that ever time someone post something about Barack Hussein Obama the post gets locked. This my friends is how the media works.Forum boards are a form of media and if the person or persons that run them don't agree with your views they will censor them. just my two cents. I mean no disrespect to anyone on this board. I am just expressing my view. Just one more thing Its called the white house.

I have the right to remain silent just not the ability.
Ron White

Ken Bora
11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Why is it that ever time someone post something about Barack Hussein Obama the post gets locked.
Ron White
Because......
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all RTF'ers are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are reading, posting and the pursuit of GDG.--That to secure these rights, Moderators are instituted among RTF, deriving their just powers from the consent of the Atkinson ;-)
God Bless America, and all of RTF:cool:

Vicky Trainor
11-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Ron,

The threads are not being locked because someone has posted something about Obama. The threads are being locked because some users cannot abide by Chris' numerous requests to use RTF as the resource it can and deserves to be and stop personal attacks/insults, racial comments and/or statements that could lead to litigation involving RTF. These types of posts should not be a part of RTF's culture.

JeffLusk
11-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Ron,

The threads are not being locked because someone has posted something about Obama. The threads are being locked because some users cannot abide by Chris' numerous requests to use RTF as the resource it can and deserves to be and stop personal attacks/insults, racial comments and/or statements that could lead to litigation involving RTF. These types of posts should not be a part of RTF's culture.

I think he was quoting ron white, his name isn't ron. :) Sorry couldn't resist.

Bubba
11-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Ron,

Gawd you are cute when you are mad!!!!

Right on Vicky- remember only ONE more day

Love ya regards

Bubba

BonMallari
11-03-2008, 08:28 PM
RULE # 1 ....CHRIS'S FORUM, CHRIS'S RULES

RULE # 2.....REFER TO RULE # 1

when you signed up to this FREE site you agreed to play by the rules set forth by the mods and administrators....you have choices as do all of us...most us us choose to abide by his rules ,...not censorship at all...

thanks for a very nice site Chris,

Vicky Trainor
11-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I think he was quoting ron white, his name isn't ron. :) Sorry couldn't resist.

Oops, didn't pick up on that! Guess I can cross that name off my "bad" list to Santa!! :)

Chris Atkinson
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Why is it that ever time someone post something about Barack Hussein Obama the post gets locked. This my friends is how the media works.Forum boards are a form of media and if the person or persons that run them don't agree with your views they will censor them. just my two cents. I mean no disrespect to anyone on this board. I am just expressing my view. Just one more thing Its called the white house.

Ron White

Sprint,

I think that in posting your two cents, you may have lost count. I think you meant to write that "every time" something gets posted about Obama, it gets locked. Is that what you meant to say?

Let's clarify that and then we can move forward.

If your question is not rhetorical, but actually desires a response from the administrator doing most of the thread locking, I'll gladly give one.

Thanks,

Chris Atkinson 217-454-0361

sprintwrench75
11-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Vicky I'm sorry. I am not the bad santa I am lovable ,hugable , kissable and irresistible if you don't believe me just ask I will tell you all about. However it does seem that negative obama post do chaf your A$$.I promise no more political post from me, if you tell me what GDG means on the rtf board. And you can call me JR. Thanks sweety.

DKR
11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Chris thanks for the new sig.

Chris Atkinson
11-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Sprint,

Look what I found that you wrote on October 9:

New to the site wanted to post a photo of my daughter and son. Mia and colby. Mia is 2 passed her first seasoned test at 9 months trained by her dumb dad the rookie. It was are first time, wanted to run started but they were full. Had a blast now we are hooked. Now for the boy colby. Had to have another one lol,he is great 9 months old. He is general patton son. Saturday will be his first duck hunt cant wait.He already runs triples, sits on whistle will do remote backs,over,here these 2 dogs make me look like i know what im doing.Anyways just wanted to brag on the kids.Gosh I love this training stuff.Oh and this site is great for a rookie like me keep the info coming.I hope the picture loads or I really will be newbie.

Seems like you've jumped to a pretty harsh conclusion pretty quickly. Which way do you want it?

Do you want RTF to allow folks to demean, bash, give racist comments, and generally post unproductive garbage?

Or od you want RTF to be a resource providing you with some value?

Threads locked lately involve name-calling, racist commentary, and hateful nonsense.

There's a whole lot of material here mentioning Obama as well as McCain, that was not locked.

Chris

Bruce MacPherson
11-03-2008, 08:57 PM

Ron White

Because they just don't realize that the fate of the entire free world hangs in the balance.:D

MooseGooser
11-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Please refere to the thread titled Guidelines below!

Gooser

dogcommand
11-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Seems to me that if you really wanted to solve the name calling, racist remarks, etc, you could just say that this formum is a forum about dogs, dog training, event results, training equipment, etc and that no political commentary one way or another will be permitted.
Seems simple enough to me. There are lots of other places to air your political views folks....why does it have to be here.

Chris Atkinson
11-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Seems to me that if you really wanted to solve the name calling, racist remarks, etc, you could just say that this formum is a forum about dogs, dog training, event results, training equipment, etc and that no political commentary one way or another will be permitted.
Seems simple enough to me. There are lots of other places to air your political views folks....why does it have to be here.

I guess I'll have to disagree.

The name calling, racist remarks, etc. is not about the subject matter discussed. It is about the style used by the one hitting the "submit" button.

Maybe there's less fuel for the heated comments when the topic is strictly related to dog talk 100%. But most of the regulars here have agreed that RTF is more to them than "just strict dog talk".

There are lots of places to discuss where to go on vacation, what hotels to stay in, how to fix your computer, etc. But they have and do fit on RTF. And personally, I'd just as soon keep them here.

But I get your point. Tomorrow's THE day. I'm hopeful much of the desire for side A to try and trash side B will end by the time Bob Gutermuth's account is restored to active status.

Poor Bob! We love you man.... :cool:

- Chris the censor

Marvin S
11-03-2008, 10:04 PM
- Chris the censor

Can I use that in my byline - like a campaign ad.

This post approved by Chris, the Censor

Tomorrow's the day, but it will take a couple of days for it to sink in when they find the polls were wrong.

Rudd
11-03-2008, 10:28 PM
What does GDG mean?

FOM
11-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Go Dog Go.....

Chris Atkinson
11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Go Dog Go.....

Oh gosh...she's coming back on to taunt Patrick and David about the elk! :cool:

Nooooooooooo..............

FOM
11-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey want to see a picture of David packing MY elk out? I'd post a picture of Patty with an elk but he doesn't have one........hahahahaha

Chris Atkinson
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Hey want to see a picture of David packing MY elk out? I'd post a picture of Patty with an elk but he doesn't have one........hahahahaha

OH no...Patty, I'm trying to censor her, but my power's dwindling.

David, turn a little more so the camera can see the Elk... No, face away from the camera...that's it! "poof"...OK now start humping it sherpa, we gotta get this meat cut up before sunrise.

BBnumber1
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM

Censor her!

Chris Atkinson
11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Censor her!

I'm trying sherpa! I swear!

Steve Hester
11-04-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm not going to question Chris' right to censor anything on this board, it's his board. But I've almost become afraid to post anything on a political thread, for fear I will get it locked. I've read and re-read some of the threads that got locked, and still don't see why they were locked. But I do think (and sincerely hope) that the "politically correct" pendulum has swung as far left as it can go. I think this will prove itself out in today's election, when Mr. Obama will have his chance to run this country, and probably with a Congress totally controlled by Democrats. Be careful what you ask for.

Vicky Trainor
11-04-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm not going to question Chris' right to censor anything on this board, it's his board. But I've almost become afraid to post anything on a political thread, for fear I will get it locked. I've read and re-read some of the threads that got locked, and still don't see why they were locked. But I do think (and sincerely hope) that the "politically correct" pendulum has swung as far left as it can go. I think this will prove itself out in today's election, when Mr. Obama will have his chance to run this country, and probably with a Congress totally controlled by Democrats. Be careful what you ask for.

Steve,

You don't hve to be "afraid to post anything on a political thread" as long as you don't 1) personally attack another poster, 2) insult another poster, 3) make racial comments and/or 4) make a statement that could involve RTF/Chris in any type of litigation.

Heated arguements have been held on RTF for years without having to have the threads locked. Those arguments were never taken to a "personal" level.

Steve Hester
11-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Steve,

You don't hve to be "afraid to post anything on a political thread" as long as you don't 1) personally attack another poster, 2) insult another poster, 3) make racial comments and/or 4) make a statement that could involve RTF/Chris in any type of litigation.

Heated arguements have been held on RTF for years without having to have the threads locked. Those arguments were never taken to a "personal" level.

Not a problem here Vicky. Y'all certainly have the right to lock any thread you want to, for any reason.

JS
11-04-2008, 07:50 AM
I've read and re-read some of the threads that got locked, and still don't see why they were locked.

I guess that sentence just points out the differences in perspective and expectations among RTFers.

I can't believe some of the posts that go uncensored ..... the moderators are more than tolerant in enforcing the guidelines:

..... as long as you don't 1) personally attack another poster, 2) insult another poster, 3) make racial comments and/or 4) make a statement that could involve RTF/Chris in any type of litigation.If you look, you could probably find dozens of violations in the past couple pages. This board, at times, sounds like a bunch of junior high girls with all the insults and name-calling. There's one guy "standing in the corner" right now probably wondering why, but if you look back at his posts , I guarantee you'll find the word "dumbocrat" more than the word "dog".

And the term "politically correct" is repeatedly ridiculed. "Political correctness" is nothing more than what Chris is asking for; expressing your viewpoint with respect and consideration for those who feel otherwise, rather than crass insults and generalizations. What's wrong with that? My mom taught me that when I was a kid.

JS

Marvin S
11-04-2008, 08:14 AM
There is an old saying "Sticks & Stone will break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

I find these threads entertaining, those who get a thread banned or threatened show a lot of themselves in their postings. Some are more accomplished Wordsmiths, & have adapted to accomplishing the same end result without the use of Trigger words.

I believe those of one political persuasion get away with more because they are quicker to find remarks offensive & report them, especially when they are coming up short in the intellectual department exchanging barbs.

But there would be nothing more boring than reading threads & posts where you have no interest. My hat is off to the moderators for a task well performed.

Today's the day, if the Redistributor doesn't do a landslide with ALL the advantage given him during the campaign, he starts as a failure.

Chris Atkinson
11-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Marvin,

I think the "sticks and stones" saying is something we tell children to help them cope with other kids treating them in an unkind manner.

While children are certainly welcome to access and utilize RTF's resources, most of those to whose words the "sticks and stones" phrase would be applied are grown-ups.

To my mind, a discussion bulletin board format is its own form of media that differs from Hannity and Comes, a newspaper, or a magazine. Due to its interactive, immediate, impulsive nature and capability, it must be handled differently than other media.

We are doing our best and I appreciate the compliment, as I'm sure Vicky does as well.

Thanks,

Chris

Ken Bora
11-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey Guys,
It could have been lots worse. Imagine what would have happened to us here on RTF is ether one of the candidates owned an Amish trained, English style, Fox Red, Pointing Labrador that was handled by a former pro trainer who is now a judge and only running trials hosted by RFTEntry? Just imagine that!

JusticeDog
11-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey Guys,
It could have been lots worse. Imagine what would have happened to us here on RTF is ether one of the candidates owned an Amish trained, English style, Fox Red, Pointing Labrador that was handled by a former pro trainer who is now a judge and only running trials hosted by RFTEntry? Just imagine that!

HEY! Chris, censor this guy.... there is nothing wrong with being fox red!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z58/SusanBledsoe_2007/Kirby04.jpg

Vicky Trainor
11-04-2008, 10:48 AM

LOL.....I think Chris is still too busy "censoring" FOM and the elk story!!! :)

My hat is off to the moderators for a task well performed.

Thanks for the compliment. There have been many discussion between Chris and I over some of the threads lately. I feel that he has been very fair and level headed in dealing with some of the problems!

One thing that I have found interesting of late is the "complaints" about threads going "over the top" are not by the posters involved, but by other users of RTF. This is helpful in many ways as Chris and I would need to be "full-time employees" to be available to read every post as they are posted.

I know that I try to check the classified ads for required health clearances, duplicates and spam a couple of times a day, normally every evening after finishing training & the kennel. There will be duplicate ads or posts without those clearances and I just have to shake my head, and send out the "form letter" of notification of the ad being deleted because it does not conform to the guidelines. It makes me wonder why it is so difficult for someone to read the Sticky regarding the guidelines and follow those guidelines. I appreciate being alerted to these things if I miss them!

RTF is for all of us. If a RTF user sees a problem, sending Chris or I a PM about it makes our "jobs" a little easier to find out about them and finding a proper solution.

JusticeDog
11-04-2008, 01:41 PM

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z58/SusanBledsoe_2007/Kirby04.jpg

Yeah, poor david and that Elk. :D

Vicky-

Chris A got to meet Kirby in Kentucky at an HRC finished test. Kirby got out of the water, honored, and upon being released, went and hugged Chris. After that, I was too embarrassed to introduce myself.... :D

Vicky Trainor
11-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, poor david and that Elk. :D

Vicky-

Chris A got to meet Kirby in Kentucky at an HRC finished test. Kirby got out of the water, honored, and upon being released, went and hugged Chris. After that, I was too embarrassed to introduce myself.... :D

LOL....I would have loved to have gotten a picture of that "meeting"!!! :)

John Kelder
11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Censorship............
I look at all threads as a conversation held in the gallery , waiting to run a dog. Hanging around the trucks and shooting the breeze . If you can say it in the bleachers ,you should be able to post it .Biggest issue I have is folks write things here that they never say in person .Lively discussion is healthy . Insults are not a part of that .Insults are not part of a debate ,it just may show you are loosing the argument.
And yes , I've been part of a thread being closed .But understanding litigation the way I do , I also understand the moderator erring on the side of caution .Or as one of my lawyers once said "you can sue anyone for anything"