PDA

View Full Version : Have you been to the polls? NON PARTISAN GDG

Bob Gutermuth
11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Have you performed your civic duty yet today, and voted? (for whom is your business). How was the turnout at your precint? I've been voting for 36 yrs and never had to wait in line until this morning.

DSemple
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
My wife & I live in a republican county of a very republican state (Kansas) and had to wait 90 minutes in line to vote this morning after arriving at 5:50 am, 10 minutes before the polls opened. That's about twice as long as we usually have to wait during presidential years.

Republicans are turning out in huge numbers here. ...Don

Aaron Homburg
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Out of a total of 190 registered voters in our town......90 have already voted at 11 o'clock!!!

Record Turnout Regards,

Aaron

Ken Bora
11-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I saw my local polling place on the early morning news with a line. I waited until 9:00 a.m. because I do not go to work until 1:00 p.m. I walked over to avoid having to park the truck. Crowd had gone, no wait at all. Noon news is predicting 70%+ turn out of registered voters up here. And the bake sale was great, glad I walked.;-)
Ken Bora

CanAmMan
11-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I ain't voting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

because they won't let me:(

because I am a Canadian!!!!! and can't vote

DKR
11-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Didn't vote in the pole here as this is our first time to vote in Oklahoma. Were went to a small town outside of Tulsa and waited a few minutes, we got there about ten minutes before it opened at 7:00.
Some of the news reports about early voting here say they have had huge numbers compared to other years.
As I was driving into Tulsa going through another small I saw a line going around the building about 8:00 this morning.

YardleyLabs
11-04-2008, 11:15 AM
There were about 120 people waiting in line outside of the firehouse where I vote (probably another 20 inside) at 7:15 AM. By 9:15, lines were gone and I was able to vote with only about 10-15 people in front of me. It should be crowded again this evening. There are only about 700-800 using this voting place and I suspect turnout will be 80%+.

FOM
11-04-2008, 11:18 AM
We got to the place where we voted and there was a small line, total time it took us was about an hour.....when we left there was only a few people outside in line - was dissappointed to see a couple walk away because the wait was too long <sigh> It would of taken them about 20 minutes if they had waited....

FOM

1st retriever
11-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Just wondering but don't you find it weird to vote when "technically" your vote for the prez don't count? It is the electoral votes or whatever they are called that decide it. Like if you live in a red state even if you vote for "blue" it is what the state is that counts. I am by NO means trying to start something here, was just curious!

Deb Z
11-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I come from a place similar to Aarons...

We have 200 registered voters.....30 of which had already voted by 7:15 am.

It is a record turnout for us too.....the line was actually up to 3 people for the one machine we are issued.

Standing in line regards,

Deb Z

Ken Newcomb
11-04-2008, 11:22 AM
I voted was 3rd in line. Probably 50 people when I left. Lightly populated area.

Went by one polling area that had a significant line for our town.

LORD BE WITH US TODAY!!!!!!!

Bob Gutermuth
11-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I am not enough of a scholar to recall who, among the Founding Fathers, came up with the electoral College idea, but like the vast majority of the Constitution, (3/5 compromise and related parts not withstanding)it has worked well for over 200 yrs. If it ain't broke don'e fix it.

K G
11-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I voted early last week to avoid the lines today.....

kg

HarryWilliams
11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
I voted absentee ballot a couple of weeks ago. HPW

Illinois Bob
11-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Just wondering but don't you find it weird to vote when "technically" your vote for the prez don't count? It is the electoral votes or whatever they are called that decide it. Like if you live in a red state even if you vote for "blue" it is what the state is that counts. I am by NO means trying to start something here, was just curious!

No.It still feels good to vote.I still like to go out and kick out judges and incumbents and vote No on referendums at a local level.I early voted last Wednesday at a Del Webb Active Adult Community Clubhouse that they built nearby.We call it the Wrinkle Ranch.The lines were not long at only about a 15 minute wait.What was wierd though was that the line was very quiet.It wasn't like the friendly neighborhood atmosphere like it is usually at my regular polling place.It felt like I was in a viewing line at a Wake.

WRL
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Y'all need to do what WA does......its all mail-in baby.......

No lines ever.....

WRL

Al VanHoey
11-04-2008, 11:41 AM
I voted a couple of weeks ago. I had to wait 35 minutes.

FoggMoore
11-04-2008, 11:49 AM
It took me an hour and ten minutes to vote which was probably an hour longer than I have had to previously wait. What was amazing and encouraging was the large number of young people voting.

Raymond Little
11-04-2008, 11:53 AM
45 Minutes in line but there were several MILF'S infront of me so I did not mind the wait.

Hindsight Regards,

Raymond

Rick_C
11-04-2008, 11:56 AM

No lines ever.....

WRL

Exactly right!

No waiting in line on my sofa regards,

Rick

Steve Amrein
11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
I was at our polling place @ 6:45 took about a hour and a half. Heavy turnout I was # 253 . Some of the polling places by us had 2 1/2 hr wait. Glad I did not go after work as I usually do. Electoral college or not I am darn proud to be in a country that has a peaceful vote. Made me feel good just to have the chance to participate.

Thomas D
11-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Haines City Florida....waited about 5 minutes.

ChrisRobt
11-04-2008, 12:30 PM

No lines ever.....

WRL

King and Pierce counties still having pollingplaces available but this is the last time that will happen. I voted absentee already-why wait in line???

gsc
11-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Voted last night, spent 40 minutes in line waiting.

Captain Mike D
11-04-2008, 12:56 PM

We have no constitutional right to vote in federal elections.

Captain Mike D
11-04-2008, 12:58 PM
In and out in less than 5 minutes in the very liberal county of Volusia (Daytona Beach area)

Rainmaker
11-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Very small township but still waited for the a.m. rush to be over, I walked in at 11, all the workers yelled "Hooray" and clapped. I was a bit taken aback until they explained I was the 100th voter. Told you it was a small town.

Devlin
11-04-2008, 01:11 PM
We vote absentee in all elections...never know where we'll be on election day! :-)

ErinsEdge
11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
No wait, no line in and out but I went at 1pm which they said was the lightest. They were very organized. Last presidential election they had 100% turn-out.

Oregon Lab Lover
11-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Oregon like Washington votes by mail. Can't understand why all states don't do the same.
If you fail to get it in the mail in time there are several places in each county that you can drop your ballot off. If you don't wish to vote by mail you still go to local schools, fire stations or courthouse and cast you vote the old fashioned way.

I also can't believe how many different ways that states and even counties within those states have to mark your ballot. One state had a county that you darkened the oval next to your choice (easy even for a liberal like me). The next county had your choice with two squares next to your choice and you needed to darken the space between the two squares and it made an arrow that pointed back to the choice. During a previous election in that county 1 in 10 voters did it incorrectly.

I think its time for all states to do it one way and make it easy fo all to get out and vote.

cgoeson
11-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Love that mail in voting. Colorado's ballot was very long this time, so it probably took me 45 minutes to complete it without having to wait in line.

ChrisRobt
11-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Doing a mail-in ballot allows you to study each election and use various sources to make a decision. There is a nice website in Washington which lists all the judges' races and makes voting for them much easier as you know what you're voting for.

Vicky Trainor
11-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Arrived at my polling location, walked in, voted and walked out in less than 5 minutes. :) There were about 5 or 6 other people there at the same time.

There were 2 things that surprised me this time voting. First, I was surprised that I did not have to show ID. When I started to get my wallet out, I was told they didn't need to see my license. I was asked my name, address and party affliation. Signed the paper, took my plastic card and went over to the voting machine (Maryland uses touch screen voting machines). Second, the machines were arranged in a way that I could look over the top of my machine and see the person's next to me voting screen. (Keep in mind that I am only 5' tall!!!)

Anyway....the voting process for me was quick and easy. Personally, I like going to the polling place. I miss the voting booths with the black curtains you pulled closed and pulling the levers on the voting machines!! Guess I'm now showing my age also. :)

mtgreenheads
11-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I voted absentee, via mail. No problems that way! Sure is GREAT to hear about all the lines at polling places, its great to see Americans that truly care about our country and are interested in participating in its future.

Carol Cassity
11-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I did the early voting - week before last.

15 minute wait.

Carol

Bubba
11-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Oregon like Washington votes by mail. Can't understand why all states don't do the same.
If you fail to get it in the mail in time there are several places in each county that you can drop your ballot off. If you don't wish to vote by mail you still go to local schools, fire stations or courthouse and cast you vote the old fashioned way.

Actually, I do both- just to make sure:D:D

You'd think they would have figured that move out after the last WA governors race. More people voted in that race than are registered to vote in Wa.

Make that 2 for the Geeze and the Hottie regards

Bubba

Paul "Happy" Gilmore
11-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Actually, I do both- just to make sure:D:D

You'd think they would have figured that move out after the last WA governors race. More people voted in that race than are registered to vote in Wa.

Make that 2 for the Geeze and the Hottie regards

Bubba

That is that more people voted twice for the Turkey Neck than the guy who really won the election and didn't get to be Governor....

MKaty Gutermuth
11-04-2008, 03:18 PM
It was light when I went. I went in on my way to work. Katie

Kevin WI
11-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Very light...but I live in a small municipality and went when most were at work.

sandyriver
11-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Another mail in voter here....dropped it off at the library weeks ago. I like being able to take my time also and read over everything...do some fact checking,etc. Then I make the best informed vote I can and that jives with what I believe in, etc.

I did however see on the local news that the wait in our county is about 10-15minutes to get a ballot to vote....NOT...long at all. I can't imagine having to wait in a massive line up to vote but would be there if I had to for sure.

I'm just looking forward to the results...

Creek Retrievers
11-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I live in a large city and the lines were out the door wrapping around the block. I was intimidated by the size of the line at first but it took about 45 minutes. I alloted an hour for voting so I was happy with the extra 15 minutes. I went early this morning to vote since that is the only time I had available for the day.

Andy Carlson
11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I live in a small town of only about 500 people. They said it is running about 70% turn out which is about double of the usual. I had to wait a couple of minutes for a voting booth to open - there are only 3. And they have red, white and blue striped curtains - very patriotic!!

Don't have to show ID or sign anything - just give them your name, they find you on the list, they give you a ballot and you're good to go! The ladies that hand out the ballots and check you in have got to be 85 if they are a day - They are there for every election - Good for them!!:D

Andy

Oregon Lab Lover
11-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Arrived at my polling location, walked in, voted and walked out in less than 5 minutes. :) There were about 5 or 6 other people there at the same time.

There were 2 things that surprised me this time voting. First, I was surprised that I did not have to show ID. When I started to get my wallet out, I was told they didn't need to see my license. I was asked my name, address and party affliation. Signed the paper, took my plastic card and went over to the voting machine (Maryland uses touch screen voting machines). Second, the machines were arranged in a way that I could look over the top of my machine and see the person's next to me voting screen. (Keep in mind that I am only 5' tall!!!)

Anyway....the voting process for me was quick and easy. Personally, I like going to the polling place. I miss the voting booths with the black curtains you pulled closed and pulling the levers on the voting machines!! Guess I'm now showing my age also. :)

Haven't voted other by mail in years. My ballot says nothing about party affliation unless its a primary. Why did they ask party affliation???

D Osborn
11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I voted, and it took 22 minutes.
BUT it took my sister and hour and a half.
And my Mom and Stepfather TWO and a HAlf hours.
One place was saying a four hour wait :shock:

Vicky Trainor
11-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Haven't voted other by mail in years. My ballot says nothing about party affliation unless its a primary. Why did they ask party affliation???

Since they asked for my name & address, I assume they asked for the party affliation as just one more way to verify that I was who I said I was......I had a 50/50 chance of being right :)

2tall
11-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Demi, must be a SC thang. I waited 2 hours and 45 minutes when I arrived at 8:00 AM. By the time I got out, the line was twice as long as when I arrived. I am voting in a rural precinct in the county. Go figure.

Jay Dufour
11-04-2008, 05:06 PM
My wife works at the polls....I just left there....out of 165 in our town.....39 so far at 5PM....They are working crossword puzzles.

Joe S.
11-04-2008, 05:11 PM
The workers at the polls said the turn out in morning was "very heavy" and they were expecting an even heavier turn out in the evening.

Civic Duty Accomplished Regards,

Joe S.

twall
11-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I have to work a 12 hour shift today, 9-9, so I went right after the polls open. I waited about 35 minutes to vote. I was the 24th person to vote on the electronic machines. I had the option of doing a paper ballot. Three ahead of me chose that. It only took me about 90 seconds to vote. The wait was so long because of all the first time voters. They weren't following the directions. Didn't have a clue about anything beside the president. Etc. It usally takes me 5 minutes to vote at the longest. I'm sure the wait was shorter later in the day.

I live in a rural county on north Central Ohio. In 2004 our polls stayed open late because all the students at a liberal college in the county to decided to vote and showed up just before the polls closed. We have already had one ballot withdrawn by an early voter who was found out to be illegally registered. I guess his vote wasn't worth the felony chagres.

Tom

Pete
11-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I just don't trust the mail man
he's a government worker you know Or at least a member of a very popular union :p Now I know the problem

Pete

lablover
11-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I went to vote about 9:30. Walked in, checked with the officials, went into the booth, voted and was out of there by 9:35. Couldn;t have been easier. And it was raining!

Now to wait for the results.