PDA

View Full Version : Here's your "change"

Hew
11-05-2008, 01:43 PM
What better way to show the country that you're serious about changing the climate of partisanship and strife in Washington than by offering your Chief of Staff gig to Rahm Emanuel, a vicious partisan Democrat attack dog and former Clinton bag man/Washington insider who makes Karl Rove look like Will Rogers by comparison? I guess Michael Moore, Sidney Blumenthal, Markos Moulitsas, and James Carville were all busy for the next four years. :rolleyes:

To borrow a line from the "Outlaw Josie Wales:"

Rahm Emanuel is a bloodthirsty sonofabiatch! He's a looter and a pillager! He's the worst enemy those men have got!

Arturo
11-05-2008, 01:49 PM
What better way to show the country that you're serious about changing the climate of partisanship and strife in Washington than by offering your Chief of Staff gig to Rahm Emanuel, a vicious partisan Democrat attack dog and former Clinton bag man/Washington insider who makes Karl Rove look like Will Rogers by comparison? I guess Michael Moore, Sidney Blumenthal, Markos Moulitsas, and James Carville were all busy for the next four years. :rolleyes:

Don't count those others out. He will have many more positions to fill!
Oprah is house hunting in DC as we speak.

Steve Hester
11-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Big shock! Just the first of many disappointments to come from our new President Elect. :rolleyes:

Bob Gutermuth
11-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Rosie O'Donnald for Sec State:barf:

Juli H
11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Katie Couric will replace Condi....

Juli

AmiableLabs
11-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Here is the Democratic Short List (not a joke!) --

* Employee Free Choice Act (eliminating secret ballots on union votes)
* Fairness Doctrine (for talk radio only)
* Freedom of Choice Act (legalizing all forms of abortion through birth)
* Nationalization of health care
* Estate tax increases
* "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" (driver's licenses for illegals)
* Capital gains tax increases
* Defense cuts
* Liberal judicial appointments
* Racial and ethnic preferences
* Income tax increases
* Bans on oil drilling
* Global poverty tax/Kyoto

-- The nation reaps what it sows.

Joe S.
11-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Here is the Democratic Short List (not a joke!) --

* Employee Free Choice Act (eliminating secret ballots on union votes)
* Fairness Doctrine (for talk radio only)
* Freedom of Choice Act (legalizing all forms of abortion through birth)
* Nationalization of health care
* Estate tax increases
* "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" (driver's licenses for illegals)
* Capital gains tax increases
* Defense cuts
* Liberal judicial appointments
* Racial and ethnic preferences
* Income tax increases
* Bans on oil drilling
* Global poverty tax/Kyoto

-- The nation reaps what it sows.

Didn't realize you were so connected to the inside of the Democratic Party. Do you have a source for this or is this another one of your "the stock market ALWAYS goes up" type of comments?

Joe S.
11-05-2008, 07:42 PM

Actually, John, depending on how the CoS role is set up in the White House, this might not be a bad thing. It would bring order and discipline to the Staff immediately and could, largely keep his elbows out of the ribs of those on the Hill.

Another thing to consider, I think, is that the CoS will have to dance to the tune called by the President. I don't think President-elect Obama gains anything by trying to lead from the far left and he as much said so last night.

Clearly he has an agenda and will seek to execute it but, as we both know, running for office and being in office are two different things. As he gains access to various pieces of information that were previously not available to him, he may modify his position based on his enhanced frame of reference.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts.

Time Will Tell Regards,

Joe S.

Julie R.
11-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Don't count those others out. He will have many more positions to fill!
Oprah is house hunting in DC as we speak.

Yep, our news stations in D.C. have been mentioning that regularly. Fox even said she could pretty much afford any Cabinet position she wanted. The ones mentioned for her include Press Sec. and Ambassador to the Court of St. James...ROTFLMAO. For some reason the thought of her having tea with the Queen makes me snicker--in shame, but snicker nonetheless.

AmiableLabs
11-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Didn't realize you were so connected to the inside of the Democratic Party. Do you have a source for this
Yup, I got it from a blog on the National Review Online. But I am sure since they are right-wingers too you will dismiss them just as well.

What do you deny? These are all points raised in recent weeks by Democrats. Obama told Planned Parenthood that the Freedom of Choice Act would be the first legislation he signs. Schumer was pushing the Fairness Doctrine as recently as yesterday. McGovern (of all people) found it necessary recently to cut a commercial AGAINST his own party over the so-called "Employee Free Choice Act."

These aren't back burner issues like I think guns are. These are front-burner issues, the ones getting all the airtime.

or is this another one of your "the stock market ALWAYS goes up" type of comments?
You mean like the one I just provided a link to a video of Neil Cavuto saying essentially the same thing?

Joe, I don't make cr@p up. My word means too much to me.

AmiableLabs
11-05-2008, 08:33 PM
What better way to show the country that you're serious about changing the climate of partisanship and strife in Washington than by offering your Chief of Staff gig to Rahm Emanuel, a vicious partisan Democrat attack dog. . . .
On Fox Business News it was said that this was one of the reasons for the market falling today, it was taken by some the same way you did -- a signal from Obama that he was going to govern from the left instead of from the center like he campaigned.

Hew
11-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Clearly he has an agenda and will seek to execute it but, as we both know, running for office and being in office are two different things. As he gains access to various pieces of information that were previously not available to him, he may modify his position based on his enhanced frame of reference.
I agree...the snakes, weasels and jackals in Washington (elected and otherwise) soon suck up much of every president's idealism and force them to moderate their positions. In Bush's case that happened when he tried to be bipartisan in his first year of office. I don't think that Obama's desire to implement his ideals will be moderated...just his ability to implement them (read: filibuster). I just found it extremely curious that for someone who ran his campaign on the concept of change would, within a mere 24 hours of being elected, turn to the ultimate party hack and Washington insider who is the epitome of the snakes/weasels/jackals. Do you think that's the kind of change the independents who voted for him envisioned or expected? (that's rhetorical ;-))

Joe S.
11-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I agree...the snakes, weasels and jackals in Washington (elected and otherwise) soon suck up much of every president's idealism and force them to moderate their positions. In Bush's case that happened when he tried to be bipartisan in his first year of office. I don't think that Obama's desire to implement his ideals will be moderated...just his ability to implement them (read: filibuster). I just found it extremely curious that for someone who ran his campaign on the concept of change would, within a mere 24 hours of being elected, turn to the ultimate party hack and Washington insider who is the epitome of the snakes/weasels/jackals. Do you think that's the kind of change the independents who voted for him envisioned or expected? (that's rhetorical ;-))

I really think a lot of it will depend on how the role of CoS if fleshed out in the WH. If the CoS is the keeper of order on the staff, it is better. If the CoS becomes Chief Policy Wonk, no it is not good for those that wanted change in Washington.

1600 Regards,

Joe S.