PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Election and Wall Street

AmiableLabs
11-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I heard last week that Wall Street ALWAYS rallies the day after the election of a new POTUS and this year it should be no different.

With eighty minutes left in today's trading, the Dow is down 325 points.

Buzz
11-05-2008, 01:42 PM
On Wall Street, this year is just like any other?:confused:

I'm in the process of trying to figure out what investments would be good for an Obama Administration.

RedHeadedHurricane
11-05-2008, 01:52 PM

I'm in the process of trying to figure out what investments would be good for an Obama Administration.

Let me suggest ACORN

AmiableLabs
11-05-2008, 01:55 PM

When is any year on Wall Street like any other? :confused:

The point is that investors don't like questions. The election of the President brings resolve, spurring confidence.

Buzz
11-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Let me suggest ACORN

Somehow I don't think that I can buy stocks in ACORN.

By the way, your avatar grosses me out.

Hoosier
11-05-2008, 02:22 PM

Now that's not the kind of CHANGE we're looking for!!!

Arturo
11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
The DOW is down 394 with 30 minutes to go ........ but who's counting!

Oops! My bad! Down 435 with 27 minutes to go ......

Mike Noel
11-05-2008, 02:57 PM

See, deep down inside you are still a right-winger Buzz! ;)

Buzz
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
See, deep down inside you are still a right-winger Buzz! ;)

Watch him put a nice looking chick in a bikini up for an avatar now, just to make me look bad.

Henry V
11-05-2008, 03:14 PM
I know it is more fun to speculate and just say stuff that you think is true based on your insight and experience but why not use the internet to search the topic. I quickly found this article http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/articles/presidential-election-the-economic-impact-52223.aspx

Which among other things says:

While major companies may see their bottom lines fluctuate leading up to and immediately after Election Day, the U.S. stock market can quickly become schizophrenic when it comes to picking our country's new commander in chief. And the last several weeks have indeed seen the Dow Jones move wildly, with swings of hundreds of points in either direction—mostly down.

Looking back at the past 25 presidential election years, the Dow Jones Industrial Average has increased some 68 percent of the time, or 17 of those presidential election years, according to Money Morning, an investment news website. With the unexpected events wreaking havoc on our economy, 2008 will most likely not join that group.

What both financial experts and everyday Americans alike can look forward to, however, will be the month of January 2009. January will not only officially kick off four years of either President Obama or President McCain, but it will also be a market barometer for the financial year. When the stock market posts a gain in the month of January, it goes on to end the year with a gain 91 percent of the time, according to Money Morning.
I am sure there are many more views on this by more experts on this topic if you care to look.

DSemple
11-05-2008, 03:41 PM

Construction minority contracting is one of the investments I've become involved in. Paperwork’s a huge hassle, but the margins and lack of competition make it very profitable.

....Don

Mike Noel
11-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Watch him put a nice looking chick in a bikini up for an avatar now, just to make me look bad.

LOL! I had a great spoof poster of the girls version of Brokeback starring Jessica Alba and Halle Berry....think it was call Brokeback: Fur Traders or something like that. Shoulda kept that one!

Hoosier
11-05-2008, 03:54 PM
The company's that make those spinner hubcaps should do good. Anything sold in mass in low income areas.

Marvin S
11-05-2008, 04:07 PM

By your actions you have chosen that demographic as part of the group you prefer to associate with.

BTW, The Dow finished the day at 9,139.27 down 486.01, S & P 952.27 down 52.98 & the Nasdaq 1,681.64 down 98.48. This means they started the Redistributors reign at 9,525.28, 1,005.25 & 1,780.36 respectively. Care to make a wager as to where they will be located when the election day ends 4 years from now? In real terms, not just Up or Down, as there were nothing but High expectations from this point, as there were yesterday when it was still felt McCain had a chance.

Maybe a return to the Bush years of 14,000 before the D's failed policies came into effect (talk about creating a mess & being rewarded for that action) or will it sit at Dow 17,500, a mere 25% gain for the 4 years? I'd like to hear your take on where you think things are going.

Please don't say you don't know as you have no crystal ball, please remember you bought into a candidate without a track record of accomplishment so you apparently have those powers.

Terry Britton
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM

Well with Obama wanting to tax Corporations and wealthy more here in the USA, international might be better since they already have 2 times multiple advantage due to taxes and regulations, and an 11 times multiple advantage when wages are factored in.

If you noticed last night, Asian and international markets went up while the domestic pre-trading went down. Smart money and investors such as Jim Rogers are leaving the USA for Asian and emerging markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Rogers

AmiableLabs
11-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Henry, your article does not contradict me. I was repeating what I heard said on CNBC on Tuesday when the pundits were discussing on how stocks closed up 300. They mentioned that is also always closes up the day after the election because of the resolution of the uncertainty caused by the election.

The pundits were talking about one day -- the day after the election. Your article is talking about the election year and trends.

AmiableLabs
11-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Here is a link to Cavuto saying the same thing on video -- CLICK. (http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=3176269&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/yourworld/index.html)

AmiableLabs
11-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Well, it appears I was wrong when I said "always," but in my defense, I was just repeating what I heard on CNBC.

NEW YORK, Nov 5 (Reuters) - Wall Street hardly delivered a
rousing welcome to President-elect Barack Obama on Wednesday,
dropping by the largest margin on record for a day following a U.S.
presidential contest.

The slide more than wiped out the previous day's advance, the
largest Election Day rally ever for U.S. stocks.

The following table shows the percentage rise or decline in the
Dow Jones industrial average .DJI, Standard & Poor's 500 index
.SPX and Nasdaq composite index .IXIC on the day after a U.S
presidential election and who won the Election Day vote.

Year Dow S&P Nasdaq President elect
2008 -5.05 -5.27 -5.53 Barack Obama
2004 +1.01 +1.12 +0.98 George W. Bush
2000 -0.41 -1.58 -5.39 No decision: G.W. Bush v Al Gore*
1996 +1.59 +1.46 +1.34 William Clinton
1992 -0.91 -0.67 +0.16 William Clinton
1988 -0.43 -0.66 -0.29 George H. W. Bush
1984 -0.88 -0.73 -0.32 Ronald Reagan
1980 +1.70 +1.77 +1.49 Ronald Reagan
1976 -0.99 -1.14 -1.12 James Carter
1972 -0.11 -0.55 -0.39 Richard Nixon
1968 +0.34 +0.16 --- Richard Nixon
1964 -0.19 -0.05 --- Lyndon Johnson
1960 +0.77 +0.44 --- John Kennedy
1956 -0.85 -1.03 --- Dwight Eisenhower
1952 +0.40 +0.28 --- Dwight Eisenhower
1948 -3.85 -4.15 --- Harry Truman
1944 -0.27 0.00 --- Franklin Roosevelt
1940 -2.39 -3.14 --- Franklin Roosevelt
1936 +2.26 +1.40 --- Franklin Roosevelt
1932 -4.51 -2.67 --- Franklin Roosevelt
1928 +1.20 +1.77 --- Herbert Hoover
1924 +1.17 --- --- Calvin Coolidge
1920 -0.57 --- --- Warren Harding
1916 -0.35 --- --- Woodrow Wilson
1912 +1.83 --- --- Woodrow Wilson
1908 +2.38 --- --- William Taft
1904 +1.30 --- --- Theodore Roosevelt
1900 +3.33 --- --- William McKinley
1896 +4.54 --- --- William McKinley

* George W. Bush ultimately was determined the winner of the 2000
election.

Source: Reuters EcoWin

Joe S.
11-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Tell ya' what I'm going to do for you Marv, you pick the number and I'll go "Higher" or "Lower" for $100.00.

By your actions you have chosen that demographic as part of the group you prefer to associate with.

BTW, The Dow finished the day at 9,139.27 down 486.01, S & P 952.27 down 52.98 & the Nasdaq 1,681.64 down 98.48. This means they started the Redistributors reign at 9,525.28, 1,005.25 & 1,780.36 respectively. Care to make a wager as to where they will be located when the election day ends 4 years from now? In real terms, not just Up or Down, as there were nothing but High expectations from this point, as there were yesterday when it was still felt McCain had a chance.

Maybe a return to the Bush years of 14,000 before the D's failed policies came into effect (talk about creating a mess & being rewarded for that action) or will it sit at Dow 17,500, a mere 25% gain for the 4 years? I'd like to hear your take on where you think things are going.

Please don't say you don't know as you have no crystal ball, please remember you bought into a candidate without a track record of accomplishment so you apparently have those powers.

Buzz
11-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Marv, I'll give you the same deal as Joe.

By the way, right now I feel pretty darn good about my vote. See my thread - This could get ugly.

You can argue till the cows come home about Obama's lack of experience, but Palin takes the cake. I voted for what I thought was best for the country, not my personal pocketbook or my "values."

AmiableLabs
11-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I voted for what I thought was best for the country, not. . . . my "values."
I don't distinguish between the two.

Joe S.
11-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't distinguish between the two.

Rather arrogant of you, isn't it Kevin?

Marvin S
11-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Tell ya' what I'm going to do for you Marv, you pick the number and I'll go "Higher" or "Lower" for $100.00.

Marv, I'll give you the same deal as Joe.

You can argue till the cows come home about Obama's lack of experience, but Palin takes the cake.

You guys will get an offer after I get my latest round of financial newsletters analyzing the potential effect of the redistributors reign. To help you I will include snippets of their analysis. Remember, he's your guy so there is no under, I'll post a number on the poll thread & give you the over with my analysis of how I arrived at the number. We can send the stakes to a neutral party & whoever wins can make a significant donation to the Salvation Army in their name. They can always use any donation wisely. You can have the thrill of having won something.

Palin was running for VPOTUS of the US, your guy wanted all the chips having little skin in the game. Please don't try to conceal your less than wise choice with a feeble excuse. Hopefully, you are too bright for that.

AmiableLabs
11-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Rather arrogant of you, isn't it Kevin?
Absurd. It is more arrogant to distinguish between what is right for you and what is right for your neighbor! Your "values" should be what not only serves you but what serves everyone.

'Love your neighbor as yourself.' -- Mark 12:31

Joe S.
11-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Absurd. It is more arrogant to distinguish between what is right for you and what is right for your neighbor! Your "values" should be what not only serves you but what serves everyone.

'Love your neighbor as yourself.' -- Mark 12:31

Doesn't your quote mean treat your neighbor the same way you would want to be treated? I didn't think it suggested to decide what is right or wrong for your neighbor.

So what happens when your neighbor finds "your values" offensive or objectionable based on their culture, political position or religious belief?

Just because it is right for you, doesn't make it right for your neighbor, assuming you are right in the first place.

"Or how can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye." --Luke 6:42

Regards,

Joe S.

K G
11-09-2008, 02:11 PM
You can argue till the cows come home about Obama's lack of experience, but Palin takes the cake. I voted for what I thought was best for the country, not my personal pocketbook or my "values."

Somebody please tell me WHY we're still talking about any aspect of the failed candidacy?

Whether or not your vote was best for the country will be determined over the passage of time. I truly hope you're right....but continuing to talk about anything to do with which candidate/party didn't win is starting to look like a smokescreen. I'd be more interested in your predictions of how long it will take #44 to turn things around. I, and I'm sure several others, are much more interested in that observation than continuing digs against the losing team.

JMHO.

kg