PDA

View Full Version : Change? Really??????

K G
11-20-2008, 07:29 AM
The more things "change," the more they remain the same.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20081120/Obama.Cabinet/

From one frying pan into another regards,

kg

Marvin S
11-20-2008, 11:54 AM
My question - Don't we have someone besides people with Law degrees capable of doing these jobs? Lawyers provide few value added solutions to any issue. They are not, by profession, capable of establishing a principled stand & sticking with it.

TBS - I recognize it is imperative that those appointed are capable administrators, government is not the easiest maze to navigate. Experience does help, but aren't there experienced individuals of other professions available?

But, we had O'Neil, Snow & Paulsen for Treasury Secretary's in the Bush Admin, with only Snow having some government experience. Look at what that bought us!!!

:-x :-x :confused: :confused: :-x :-x

Gerry Clinchy
11-20-2008, 03:56 PM
If the most influential people in Obama's administration will be just more of the same old career politicians, how is this change? Same old "good ole boys" group exchanging favors for each other :-(

Paul Johnson
11-20-2008, 04:11 PM
My question - Don't we have someone besides people with Law degrees capable of doing these jobs? Lawyers provide few value added solutions to any issue. They are not, by profession, capable of establishing a principled stand & sticking with it.

The reason we have so many lawyers is that they are experts in dancing on the head of a pin. In other words, they spent their years in law school learning how to make a speech that says absolutely nothing while the audience believes they heard what they want to believe. Our president elect is a prime example -- people heard what they wanted to believe, not what he actually said.

Joe S.
11-20-2008, 06:43 PM
The reason we have so many lawyers is that they are experts in dancing on the head of a pin. In other words, they spent their years in law school learning how to make a speech that says absolutely nothing while the audience believes they heard what they want to believe. Our president elect is a prime example -- people heard what they wanted to believe, not what he actually said.

It came down to voting for hope or voting for fear and hope won out...

Just Sayin' Regards,

Joe S.

Hoosier
11-20-2008, 06:53 PM

Just Sayin' Regards,

Joe S.

That's exactly right. Now where is that freebee I hoped for?

K G
11-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Just Sayin' Regards,

Joe S.

While I feel you've grossly oversimplified the process and the end result Joe, I pray that the "hope" that you say "won out" truly produces a "winning" result.

Hope is NOT a strategy regards,

kg

Joe S.
11-21-2008, 02:51 PM
While I feel you've grossly oversimplified the process and the end result Joe, I pray that the "hope" that you say "won out" truly produces a "winning" result.

Hope is NOT a strategy regards,

kg

OK...but in the end, that is exactly what it came down to for at least me. Did I want to vote for someone who was telling me that it can get better if we all work together or did I want to vote for someone who spent the last several weeks of the campaign telling me why I should be afraid of the other guy.

Fear Is NOT A Long Term Solution Regards,

Joe S.

Tim Thomas
11-21-2008, 02:57 PM
OK...but in the end, that is exactly what it came down to for at least me. Did I want to vote for someone who was telling me that it can get better if we all work together or did I want to vote for someone who spent the last several weeks of the campaign telling me why I should be afraid of the other guy.

Fear Is NOT A Long Term Solution Regards,

Joe S.

That doesn't sound like an educated decision to me.....but then again, most that pulled that lever hadn't a clue of what they were voting for.

JMO regards

Franco
11-21-2008, 03:51 PM

Joe S.

At no time did J McCain try to instll the fear of voting for Obama. If anything, he maintained the high road throughout his campaign. Me thinks you've been listening to too much Hannity and Limbaugh!

As Bob G stated, the long National nightmare is just beginning.

Joe S.
11-21-2008, 03:57 PM
At no time did J McCain try to instll the fear of voting for Obama. If anything, he maintained the high road throughout his campaign. Me thinks you've been listening to too much Hannity and Limbaugh!

As Bob G stated, the long National nightmare is just beginning.

I don't know who Hannity is and I've actually been mistaken several times on the streets of D.C. for Limbaugh...but I wouldn't listen to him if he were on your radio station, Franco. ;-)

Like 52% of those that voted, I think the Long National Nightmare will be over on 1/20/09.

How's the duck hunting?

Take Care Regards,

Joe S.

Joe S.
11-21-2008, 03:59 PM
That doesn't sound like an educated decision to me.....but then again, most that pulled that lever hadn't a clue of what they were voting for.

JMO regards

Including those that did not vote in the majority, one would think.

JMHDAO (ubp, K2, Inc.) Regards,

Joe S.

backpasture
11-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I've actually been mistaken several times on the streets of D.C. for Limbaugh

Why is that? Do you walk around DC with your head up your @ss? :p

(Trying to be funny, but my humor fails in comparison to the line from Mr Booty that McCain "maintained the high road throughout his campaign.". Now THAT is funny.)

Franco
11-21-2008, 04:10 PM
How's the duck hunting?

Joe S.

The duck shooting is the best it's been in years, many big ducks are already down. Weekend before last the three of us had our limits in 18 minutes. Then we ate a quick bite and went after Speckled Belly Geese. Killed our limit in less than an hour with a few Snows thrown in. Going after them again Sunday as Saturday(getting down to 35 degress tonight) will be too cold!

Joe S.
11-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Why is that? Do you walk around DC with your head up your @ss? :p

(Trying to be funny, but my humor fails in comparison to the line from Mr Booty that McCain "maintained the high road throughout his campaign.". Now THAT is funny.)

Now THAT was funny!

Nice One Regards,

Joe S.

Buzz
11-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Going after them again Sunday as Saturday(getting down to 35 degress tonight) will be too cold!

You're kidding, right?

Marvin S
11-21-2008, 05:40 PM
You're kidding, right?

Everything's relative. One of my son's is a graduate of SD State, he has fond memories of the thickness ice could get on the inside of the window sills in the dorm. The best being a 4 inch at the base stalagmite.

Franco, that's inside the room.

Buzz
11-21-2008, 06:57 PM

Pretty toasty inside here. I have a walkout basement with a kozy heat fireplace/wood stove in it. There is a NICE fire going in it right now. I can heat the whole house with it. I cut and split 2 cords of firewood this fall and wish I had cut 50% more. Maybe I'll do that before too much snow...;-)

Franco
11-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Pretty toasty inside here. I have a walkout basement with a kozy heat fireplace/wood stove in it. There is a NICE fire going in it right now. I can heat the whole house with it. I cut and split 2 cords of firewood this fall and wish I had cut 50% more. Maybe I'll do that before too much snow...;-)

I'm not as mad at the ducks as I use to be years ago. Single diget temps were never a factor in deciding if I was going to hunt. But, over the last several years I've become spoiled and only go under the conditions that there are ducks and the temps are between 40-60 degrees. One of the places that I hunt is fairly easy to hunt under any conditions. Sometimes a good fire and a late sleep in is better. Anyway, the radio stations that I work for is having our annual classic car show at Evangeline Racino and I have to be there tomorrow. Come Sunday we'll be trying to wear the dog out.

Franco
11-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Everything's relative. One of my son's is a graduate of SD State, he has fond memories of the thickness ice could get on the inside of the window sills in the dorm. The best being a 4 inch at the base stalagmite.

Youngsters enjoy that kind of stuff! I lost 4 tress with Hurricane Gustav and I plan on buring all the wood this Winter.

Joe S.
11-22-2008, 05:15 AM
The duck shooting is the best it's been in years, many big ducks are already down. Weekend before last the three of us had our limits in 18 minutes. Then we ate a quick bite and went after Speckled Belly Geese. Killed our limit in less than an hour with a few Snows thrown in. Going after them again Sunday as Saturday(getting down to 35 degress tonight) will be too cold!

SUPER!!! I'm hearing great reports from friends all over the country so maybe this will be one of the "good" years.

I'd go hunting today but my son's football team made it to the second round of the NCAA D-II playoffs so I'm going to sit by the computer and listen to the game. The team is in its 4th year at a formerly all-girls catholic liberal arts school. They are 11-2 on the season and did not win a combined 11 games in the first 3 years. They have done well.

Patrick likes the program and the school but continues to contend that the "Dad, 65% female enrollment!" had nothing to do with the final decision to go to the school. I told him of course it didn't, it's all about education and that if he picks the right one of those 65% he can get a real education. Besides, I was 20 once, too. ;-):cool:

Be Well Regards,

Joe S.

Buster Brown
11-25-2008, 01:33 AM
The more things "change," the more they remain the same.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20081120/Obama.Cabinet/

From one frying pan into another regards,

kg

"There is nothing new under the sun"
Ecclesiastese

precisionlabradors
11-25-2008, 10:11 AM
i fully understand the point being made here....however, about 2 months ago y'all were complaining that there wouldn't be enough experience in the white house. so now we have "an agent of change" (his words not mine)at the helm surrounded by years of experience.

what do y'all who are complaining now wish he would do? would you feel better if he surrounded himself with a bunch of no-name politicians with little experience? just wondering.
________
Healthy relationship advice forums (http://www.love-help.org/healthy-relationship-advice/)

Bruce MacPherson
11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
i
what do y'all who are complaining now wish he would do? would you feel better if he surrounded himself with a bunch of no-name politicians with little experience? just wondering.

You're right, if he did that the administration would have a remarkable resemblence to him.

precisionlabradors
11-25-2008, 11:54 AM
You're right, ...

thanks. feels good sometimes.
________
Iolite vaporizer accessories (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

subroc
11-27-2008, 06:51 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article5239776.ece

Gerry Clinchy
11-27-2008, 09:32 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article5239776.ece

Seems like it might be time to tap into our private sector. There are, surely, captains of industry who have made companies successful without the raping and pillaging done by the sleezy ones in the headlines so often.

Successful entrepreneurs have little interest in anything but results. They are not focusing on how they can get re-elected by getting extra pork for their individual electorate.

We seem to forget that there are honorable people in private industry who are also successful at solving problems. There are also some brilliant minds in the academic world. If Obama makes it a point to solicit the advice of these people as well, (and actually using the good stuff that comes from them) then it might be easier to believe that the "good ole boys" will not just continue as usual.

Perhaps bringing in people without ties to getting re-elected is, indeed, the kind of change needed. It might be tougher at first to convince the "pork rollers" that he meant business about fresh ideas and insights, but if it became evident that he would stick to serving the country as a whole, that might really be a change.

Hillary Clinton as Sec. of State? Convince me that wasn't a political debt that came due.