PDA

View Full Version : What Would Jesus Do?????

Ken Bora
11-30-2008, 07:54 AM
I read the news today oh boy
A Wal-Mart worker was killed black Friday
All he did was unlock the door
2000 people trampled him to death.

So...... black Friday is the start of the Christmas Shopping season.

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus.
Yes everyone knows it is not really the birthday of Jesus but early Christians needed to replace the winter pagan celebration with something to promote conversions. So, it is the "Celebration" of the birth of the Christ. Will these heartfelt gifts hold even more meaning for the people both giving and receiving knowing that a person WAS KILLED in order to purchase world of war 2 for junior to play with on Christmas morning? To get in such a frenzy over shopping?????

What would Jesus do???

Ken Bora

ps- I figured it out after typing this. He would forgive them of course. Probably why he is a better person than I am.:(

Patrick Johndrow
11-30-2008, 08:04 AM
I heard the same story and just amazed that people get that worked up over a toy…maybe we are a nation of infidels.

subroc
11-30-2008, 09:05 AM
I have never understood standing in line to get into a store.

Although back in the 70s I stood in line to see Star Wars!

In a mob like acceleration it is easy to wonder if one would actually recognize they stepped on someone while running into the store (could they have thought it was a rolled carpet), if that someone were hurt, if you caused any hurt, if you could have stopped, if you could have helped, if…

All things are easy from the cheap seats.

Bruce MacPherson
11-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Not a nation of infidels, a nation of "me first", perhaps.

Gun_Dog2002
11-30-2008, 09:46 AM

Yes everyone knows it is not really the birthday of Jesus but early Christians needed to replace the winter pagan celebration with something to promote conversions. So, it is the "Celebration" of the birth of the Christ. Will these heartfelt gifts hold even more meaning for the people both giving and receiving knowing that a person WAS KILLED in order to purchase world of war 2 for junior to play with on Christmas morning? To get in such a frenzy over shopping?????

What would Jesus do???

Ken Bora

ps- I figured it out after typing this. He would forgive them of course. Probably why he is a better person than I am.:(

What would Jesus do? He would condemn their actions. First he never said celebrate his birth. He said remember his death and what it stood for. In his day, only pagan rulers celebrated thier birth. Second, the celebration of his birth is not really a celebration of his birth. That is a cover story used to wrap numerous pagan celebrations into one end of year celebration. How do you think Jesus feels about that? For most, Christmas today is not even about Christ. Big business has turned it into a commercial endeavor and its mostly a time to get off work and do family things.

/Paul

dreamer2385
11-30-2008, 09:47 AM
I couldn't believe this either.. I never go shopping on Black Friday!

Jesus is certainly dissapointed in what "materialism" exists.

I give "homemade" gifts,and don't focus on the video games like my kids would like.

I don't participate in our families gift exchange for the kids, as they pick all the expensive,must have nonsense.. I don't agree with it..

my niece spends a few hundred dollars a month on texting her friends,, dont get it..

I pray for the family on the person who was just trying to earn a paycheck,and lost his life.. how sad..

God Bless, Maria

Joe S.
11-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Although back in the 70s I stood in line to see Star Wars!

Damn, we could be twins: I stood in line for Star Wars, too.

Obi Wan Regards,

Joe S.

K.Bullock
11-30-2008, 03:19 PM

What would Jesus do???

Ken Bora

Great topic check this out >>>http://www.adventconspiracy.org/
Make sure you click the video:
Even if you don't get involved, they have some interesting ideas.

The story of Christ's birth is a story of promise, hope, and a revolutionary love.

So, what happened? What was once a time to celebrate the birth of a savior has somehow turned into a season of stress, traffic jams, and shopping lists.

And when it's all over, many of us are left with presents to return, looming debt that will take months to pay off, and this empty feeling of missed purpose. Is this what we really want out of Christmas?

What if Christmas became a world-changing event again?

BTW: Nice Deer:)

Uncle Bill
11-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Unlike you two Joes...I stopped standing in line when I returned from Germany and received my discharge.

I wasn't the originator of the story, but I was a repeater of it.... about the first Sgt musing to the short-timer that he'd probably be looking forward to pissing on his grave some day. But the short-timer said "no". "Why not?" asked the 1st Sarge. "Because I promised myself that once I left the military, I'd never again stand in line." stated the soldier. Those were my sentiments as well.

UB

Criquetpas
12-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Unlike you two Joes...I stopped standing in line when I returned from Germany and received my discharge.

I wasn't the originator of the story, but I was a repeater of it.... about the first Sgt musing to the short-timer that he'd probably be looking forward to pissing on his grave some day. But the short-timer said "no". "Why not?" asked the 1st Sarge. "Because I promised myself that once I left the military, I'd never again stand in line." stated the soldier. Those were my sentiments as well.

UB UB

Too many years ago then I can remember ,very, very young ,once told a Sgt his grave would be well taken care of and promised no grass would grow on it as there would be a long line! of those that would water it. It cost me a little but it was worth it.

Earl

Patrick Johndrow
12-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Damn, we could be twins: I stood in line for Star Wars, too.

Obi Wan Regards,

Joe S.

You're a dork :)

Joe S.
12-01-2008, 05:50 PM
You're a dork :)

Pretty much...

But I'm So Damn Good At It That It Is Difficult To Quit Regards,

Joe s.

Juli H
12-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I actually remember standing in line for Star Wars....barely.

Juli

subroc
12-02-2008, 03:58 AM
:D chuckling :D

I really had to dig into the archives for that Star Wars memory.

UB/Joe

I expect our military service has soured us toward the idea of standing in lines and we avoid them whenever possible.

Legacy 6
12-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Hmmm. I guess I never stood in a line for my Service. But I come from a different generation...

I, like many men I suspect, Hate Christmas becuase of what people treat it as... I wish Charistmas was more like Thanksgiving.

That's what the holiday should reflect IMHO. Get the whole family together, EAT, DRINK, LAUGH, CRY... no presents, no pressure, just family and getting together.

Also, I've never been able to have the patience to wait to give someone something, or to get something in return (or just wait for them to give me something). If I see something I want, I buy it. And if I'm inspired to buy something for another person, I buy it and can't wait to give it to someone. What I DO like about the gifts part of Christmas, is when I get something for someone, they open it, and they didn't even know they wanted it! That's a good gift.

I spent very little money this year. I have a bunch of job interviews in MN and so I'm driving back and forth and can't afford to do much gift giving... I also have to save up for a down payment on a house, and some other stuff I want to do... Who's EVER had the money for the Christmas season? Not I...

Joe S.
12-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Hmmm. I guess I never stood in a line for my Service. But I come from a different generation...

I, like many men I suspect, Hate Christmas becuase of what people treat it as... I wish Charistmas was more like Thanksgiving.

That's what the holiday should reflect IMHO. Get the whole family together, EAT, DRINK, LAUGH, CRY... no presents, no pressure, just family and getting together.

Also, I've never been able to have the patience to wait to give someone something, or to get something in return (or just wait for them to give me something). If I see something I want, I buy it. And if I'm inspired to buy something for another person, I buy it and can't wait to give it to someone. What I DO like about the gifts part of Christmas, is when I get something for someone, they open it, and they didn't even know they wanted it! That's a good gift.

I spent very little money this year. I have a bunch of job interviews in MN and so I'm driving back and forth and can't afford to do much gift giving... I also have to save up for a down payment on a house, and some other stuff I want to do... Who's EVER had the money for the Christmas season? Not I...

Good Luck with the job interviews. That was a pretty stressful time for me...not that I am a closet control-freak or anything.

When I left the military I took the long view of the job hunting process. I took a job in the profession I wanted, not for the money I felt I was worth, and figured if I worked hard and did what I was supposed to do it would all work out in the end. It has pretty much played out as I expected.

It All Works Out No Matter How It Works Out Regards,

Joe S.