PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Governor Arrested--Go Figure

Pals
12-09-2008, 08:31 AM
All good things to those that wait. ABOUT TIME!!

Report; Illinois Governor Taken Into Federal Custody
The Chicago Tribune is reporting that Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was pulled from his home in Chicago and put in federal custody Tuesday morning.

Gov. Rod Blagojevich was taken into federal custody at his North Side home, The Chicago Tribune reported Tuesday, the next step in a three-year federal corruption investigation of "pay-to-play politics" in the governor's administration.

The Tribune said federal authorities were permitted by a judge to record the governor secretly before the November election after raising concerns that a replacement for President-elect Barack Obama would be tainted. That's the latest in an investigation that has included recordings of the governor and the cooperation of one of his closest friends.

The U.S. attorney's office would not confirm the information to FOX News.

A Blagojevich spokesman said he was unaware of the development.

"Haven't heard anything -- you are first to call," Lucio Guerrero said in an e-mail.

Illinois Bob
12-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Awesome! 2 corrupt Governors in a row.Obama should be so proud of his home state.:rolleyes: Durbins trying to get Ryan out of prison to make room for this one.Maybe we can get some of our State Parks back open now that he'll be busy defending himself.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/09/report-illinois-governor-taken-federal-custody/

badbullgator
12-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Well I think we already knew that when it comes to honesty in politics Illinois is top of the list. What next, they are going to find out that many of them have ties to organized crime? Come on, that could never happen…

Marvin S
12-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Well I think we already knew that when it comes to honesty in politics Illinois is top of the list. What next, they are going to find out that many of them have ties to organized crime? Come on, that could never happen…

As some practice politics it is organized crime - all you have to believe is campaign donations to be a form of extortion & you have a good start. We actually get more bang for our buck from organized crime -

Think Godfather Regards!!!

Doug Main
12-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Apparently the Feds moved so swiftly because they had proof his appointment of the next senator was "for sale".

An appointment by a Chicago politician, being "for sale". Please, since when has that been a crime in Illinois!!!!:-P:-P

Bud
12-09-2008, 10:59 AM
It's about time, I hope they have a strong case.

DSemple
12-09-2008, 11:07 AM
I see that the Illinois (and now the Federal) way of doing business is , but knowing their crooked upfront I think we can turn to our advantage.

Let just pay for the things we feel are important:

Renewal of the CRP program

Protecting our second amendment rights

Stopping late term abortions

I say let’s just cough up the money and buy them off on the issues that are important to us.

....Don

Pals
12-09-2008, 11:23 AM
:D:D:D:D

I'm just shocked!! Shocked!! Chicago politics? BS? Really???

Now the poopy will hit the fan. This will make 4 govs from Illinois that will be or were in jail. Yep......what a great state to learn all about politics.

Illinois Bob
12-09-2008, 11:37 AM
:D:D:D:D

This will make 4 govs from Illinois that will be or were in jail. Yep......what a great state to learn all about politics.

2 in a row though.That might be a record.:D
I'm loving this.I hope he gets a long time behind bars.
Hey, Isn't Obama from Illinois? Aren't those his buddies?

Eric Johnson
12-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Here's the latest....

Illinois Gov. Blagojevich, chief of staff, arrested
Read about the latest developments
By Jeff Coen, David Kidwell and Monique Garcia | Tribune staff reporters
9:14 AM CST, December 9, 2008

Gov. Rod Blagojevich and his chief of staff, John Harris, were arrested by FBI agents on federal corruption charges Tuesday morning.

Blagojevich and Harris were arrested simultaneously at their homes at about 6:15 a.m., according to Frank Bochte of the FBI. Both were transported to FBI headquarters in Chicago.

In one charge related to the appointment of a senator to replace Barack Obama, prosecutors allege that Blagojevich sought appointment for himseld as Secretary of Health and Human Services in the new Obama administration, or a lucrative job with a union, in exchange for appointing a union-preferred candidate.

Another charge alleges Blagojevich and Harris conspired to demand the firing of Chicago Tribune editorial board members responsible for editorials critical of him in exchange for state help with the sale of Wrigley Field, the Chicago Cubs baseball stadium owned by Tribune Co.

Pals
12-09-2008, 11:44 AM
NO!! He's is from Illinois? How can that be? I mean he's so honest and is the chosen one and all.:p

This is just too good.

Richard Halstead
12-09-2008, 12:44 PM
A product of the the nonexistent "Chicago Machine" as reported by Mayor Daley.

Buzz
12-09-2008, 02:17 PM
NO!! He's is from Illinois? How can that be? I mean he's so honest and is the chosen one and all.:p

This is just too good.

Guilt by association?

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Obama had something to do with the crook going to jail.

Henry V
12-09-2008, 02:55 PM
All this negativity. Why doesn't the mainstream media report the positive news? It is the holiday season for crying out loud.

You know, like "49 governors, 100 U.S. Senators, and 435 U.S. Representatives not arrested today". Now that is news to report.

Although, some like Idaho Senator Craig were also in the news today....http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/09/craig-loses-appeal-airport-bathroom-sex-case/

Pals
12-09-2008, 02:58 PM
We are known by the friends we keep Buzz. BHO's new chief of staff comes from a long association with Blago and friends. There will and should be questions. Since you are not from Illinois allow me to introduce you to a term you should become familar with "Chicago Machine". Just wait. As for him being responsible for the arrest--please.

rose colored glasses regards,

Paul Kartes
12-09-2008, 03:27 PM
"I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Obama had something to do with the crook going to jail."

They had some of the same people working for them..

Bruce MacPherson
12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I notice the Obama team putting some serious distance between the Governor and the President elect. But better yet the old Clinton refrain " I didn't know anything about it till I read it in the paper" is making a comeback. The next 4 years should be some fun.

Richard Finch
12-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Not another Gov goin to the big house.... HE HE HE!!!!

Burn Rod Burn oh and take ur KY Jelly big boy!!!

Richard

subroc
12-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Well, we shouldn’t be surprised. There really is a host of questionable characters in Obama’s past including Rezco, Ayers, Wright, ACORN, etc. Now the guy isn’t even in office and is already embroiled in a cover-up.

Mis-spoke…really?

I smell a cover-up

OK mister Obama, what did you know and when did you know it?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/12/questions-arise.html (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/12/questions-arise.html)

Patrick Johndrow
12-09-2008, 07:02 PM
I am sure this is the first of many reports like this over the next four years.

Illinois Bob
12-09-2008, 07:31 PM

Finding crooked polititians in Illinois is like finding oranges in Florida.

Henry V
12-09-2008, 07:43 PM
The next 4 years should be some fun.

Heck, just the last four posts have been fun. Is this going to be the type of high level discourse about important issues that we can expect to watch here once the guy inherits the mess left after the last eight years.? It is amazing how you all can get so excited about some common associations when two politicians are from the same state in the same party. How does this rise to such an active and excitingly speculative discussion while substantive issues get ignored or dismissed out of hand (you know like unprecedented AG office scandals, the outing of a covert operative, torture, signing statements exempting the administration from the law, financial system implosion, etc, etc. Just google "bush legacy" for some real fun).

Do you really want to go down the path of guilt by association? That would be fun, wouldn't it. The association of Palin and Stevens comes immediately to mind. The convicted felon did campaign for her when she ran for governor didn't he? Maybe that $110K worth of make-up and hair styling recently revealed was somehow related. Off the top of my head, then lets talk about anyone associated with Larry Craig or Mark Foley, and Duke Cunningham (wasn't he a good friend of McCain?), or how about all those associated with good old convicted felon Jack Abramhof, there's a long list there. Of course all their proven guilt is due to the left wing media and they are not responsible in any way and did not do anything different than anyone else..........no need to remind me. I do try to pay attention here from time to time and have learned a lot.

Is that ABC article an example of the left wing media too? Just trying to understand.

Yes, it is going to be fun just to watch and educational too. Sorry to interrupt. For future reference, is there a sarcasm emoticon?

subroc
12-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Mister Obama, how much do you get for a senate seat? Do you take it in cash? Do you have to split it with the Governor or do you get to keep it all to your self?

Illinois Bob
12-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey Henry,it's fun to see a crooked politician get busted irregardless of what party he's from.I'll bet more can be found from both of those parties to keep us all entertained for awhile.

YardleyLabs
12-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Mister Obama, how much do you get for a senate seat? Do you take it in cash? Do you have to split it with the Governor or do you get to keep it all to your self?

:confused::confused::confused::confused: What does Obama have to do with appointing his successor as senator? As I understand it the wiretaps show a Governor upset because the Obama people are only offering him their appreciation if he appoints a replacement preferred by Obama.

The reality is that corruption seems to thrive anywhere you have decisions being made without review or any balance of power. The most common sources of corruption are trivial administrative decisions that have been delegated downhill. Look at the people handling traffic tickets and leases in government or the people buying supplies in corporations (in my own experience, corruption in large corporations is at least as prevalent as corruption in government). In Illinois and other states, giving Governors sole authority to appoint successors is an invitation to corruption.

We are actually coming up on the ultimate invitation for corruption -- the pardons handed out by an out-going President. It will be interesting to see who will benefit from GWB's largess. Hopefully his own moral standards will not allow him to sink as low as prior Presidents, including Clinton, have gone. Will he pardon Ted Stevens? What about Scooter Libby. If he's smart, he might even want to reserve a pardon for himself and Dick. It seems to me that it's about time for this particular tradition to be abandoned. Maybe then the states will institute some of their own checks and balances.

kjrice
12-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I guess change has really helped that state.

mad hunter
12-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Chicago Politics at thier finest. and the people of this country put a chicago politician in the white house. boy, what were they thinking. Welcome to the great country of Chicago.
All I have to say is... don't blame me, I voted for a loser.

Bruce MacPherson
12-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Heck, just the last four posts have been fun. Is this going to be the type of high level discourse about important issues that we can expect to watch here once the guy inherits the mess left after the last eight years.? It is amazing how you all can get so excited about some common associations when two politicians are from the same state in the same party. How does this rise to such an active and excitingly speculative discussion while substantive issues get ignored or dismissed out of hand (you know like unprecedented AG office scandals, the outing of a covert operative, torture, signing statements exempting the administration from the law, financial system implosion, etc, etc. Just google "bush legacy" for some real fun).

Do you really want to go down the path of guilt by association? That would be fun, wouldn't it. The association of Palin and Stevens comes immediately to mind. The convicted felon did campaign for her when she ran for governor didn't he? Maybe that $110K worth of make-up and hair styling recently revealed was somehow related. Off the top of my head, then lets talk about anyone associated with Larry Craig or Mark Foley, and Duke Cunningham (wasn't he a good friend of McCain?), or how about all those associated with good old convicted felon Jack Abramhof, there's a long list there. Of course all their proven guilt is due to the left wing media and they are not responsible in any way and did not do anything different than anyone else..........no need to remind me. I do try to pay attention here from time to time and have learned a lot.

Is that ABC article an example of the left wing media too? Just trying to understand.

Yes, it is going to be fun just to watch and educational too. Sorry to interrupt. For future reference, is there a sarcasm emoticon?

And this is a huge surprise to you? The Dems have made a career out of this stuff. You don't really think we are going to cut this guy any slack do you. Let the games begin. :D

IowaBayDog
12-10-2008, 05:08 AM
Guilt by association?

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Obama had something to do with the crook going to jail.

If that were true I would imagine instead of BHO's first comments being "I've had no contact with the governor over the appointment." he would have taken the opportunity to toot his own horn over seeing corruption and alerting the authorities claiming a "new" kind of politics.

His associations are pretty deep, both directly and through Mr. Emanual, Axlerod, etc.. Though even Mr. Axelrod didn't think Blago passed the smell test back in 2002 and wouldn't work for his campaign for Governer. Obama and Emanuel held their nose.

Hew
12-10-2008, 06:26 AM
All this negativity. Why doesn't the mainstream media report the positive news? It is the holiday season for crying out loud.

You know, like "49 governors, 100 U.S. Senators, and 435 U.S. Representatives not arrested today". Now that is news to report.

Although, some like Idaho Senator Craig were also in the news today....http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/09/craig-loses-appeal-airport-bathroom-sex-case/
I hope you get paid by the DNC or someobody for shameless shilling like that. How much does one's political integrity go for nowadays anyway?

If you wished to maintain even a tiny shred of credibility I think the proper response would have been something along the lines of, "I'm glad he was caught. I loathe crooks of all political persuasions. If he's guilty I hope he goes to jail for a long time."

John Kelder
12-10-2008, 06:48 AM
:confused::confused::confused::confused: What does Obama have to do with appointing his successor as senator? As I understand it the wiretaps show a Governor upset because the Obama people are only offering him their appreciation if he appoints a replacement preferred by Obama.

The reality is that corruption seems to thrive anywhere you have decisions being made without review or any balance of power. The most common sources of corruption are trivial administrative decisions that have been delegated downhill. Look at the people handling traffic tickets and leases in government or the people buying supplies in corporations (in my own experience, corruption in large corporations is at least as prevalent as corruption in government). In Illinois and other states, giving Governors sole authority to appoint successors is an invitation to corruption.

We are actually coming up on the ultimate invitation for corruption -- the pardons handed out by an out-going President. It will be interesting to see who will benefit from GWB's largess. Hopefully his own moral standards will not allow him to sink as low as prior Presidents, including Clinton, have gone. Will he pardon Ted Stevens? What about Scooter Libby. If he's smart, he might even want to reserve a pardon for himself and Dick. It seems to me that it's about time for this particular tradition to be abandoned. Maybe then the states will institute some of their own checks and balances.

BHO ' s first pardon - Former governor of Illinois .

K G
12-10-2008, 07:27 AM
BHO ' s first pardon - Former governor of Illinois .

He can kiss his re-election in '12 goodbye if that happens....unless the Democratic party condones that sort of behavior....:rolleyes:

kg

Buzz
12-10-2008, 08:48 AM
I hope you get paid by the DNC or someobody for shameless shilling like that. How much does one's political integrity go for nowadays anyway?

If you wished to maintain even a tiny shred of credibility I think the proper response would have been something along the lines of, "I'm glad he was caught. I loathe crooks of all political persuasions. If he's guilty I hope he goes to jail for a long time."

I took Henry's comment to be tongue in cheek. The press not reporting the good news is a common complaint from the right.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery regards...

Buzz
12-10-2008, 08:51 AM
If that were true I would imagine instead of BHO's first comments being "I've had no contact with the governor over the appointment." he would have taken the opportunity to toot his own horn over seeing corruption and alerting the authorities claiming a "new" kind of politics.

His associations are pretty deep, both directly and through Mr. Emanual, Axlerod, etc.. Though even Mr. Axelrod didn't think Blago passed the smell test back in 2002 and wouldn't work for his campaign for Governer. Obama and Emanuel held their nose.

Agreed, I had not seen the statement that Obama had not had any contact with the governor over the appointment. That is hard to believe given the gov's statements on tape to the effect that all Obama was willing to give was his appreciation for a pick that suited him. It will be interesting to see if we ever find out who it was the informant turned the bass terd in.

Bob Gutermuth
12-10-2008, 09:05 AM
I wish this story had broken BEFORE election day. The new Comrade POTUS hasn't had his coronation yet and he is being tarred with scandal. that must be a new record.

Raymond Little
12-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Just heard that the mysterious person #5 willing to purchase the senate seat
is the one and only Jessie Jackson Jr. Glad to know that the "Apple" did not
fall far from the "Tree".

If the Bribe doesn't fit you must aquit!

dixidawg
12-10-2008, 10:48 AM
If that is true, I wonder if/when he will be indicted. Anyone taking bets?

Bob Gutermuth
12-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Also interesting the JJ Jr was a national campaign co-chair for the Comrade Messiah:-x

IowaBayDog
12-10-2008, 12:58 PM
If that is true, I wonder if/when he will be indicted. Anyone taking bets?

There is a prevailing theory that the prosecutor (Fitzgerald) made the arrest and blew the whole thing up before any actual crimes were committed (Seat was never appointed so the "sale" didn't happen). This was done to protect those in the "Machine" from actual prosecution. Odds are even that most of this cast will walk clean and be running in the next election. Possible exception is the Gov. himself and maybe his CoS.

"Conspiracy and Intent" are much harder to prove than being caught red handed. Why would they stop this before the crime is committed and all the cast of characters get their fingers in?

Losthwy
12-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey, Isn't Obama from Illinois? Aren't those his buddies?

In a telephone conversation between Blagjoveich, his wife and top aides on Nov. 10, he says of Obama, "F--- him," because advisors are "not willing to give me anything except appreciation."

Does that answer the last question?

backpasture
12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
There is a prevailing theory that blah, blah blah

Prevailing theory? Which talk radio show did you hear this one from?

Illinois Bob
12-10-2008, 04:51 PM
In a telephone conversation between Blagjoveich, his wife and top aides on Nov. 10, he says of Obama, "F--- him," because advisors are "not willing to give me anything except appreciation."

I think that's how that crowd talks to each other.I saw Jesse Jackson call Obama the "N" word and threaten to castrate him on TV and a couple of months later he was praising him like a saint after the election.They're a funny group how they get along.It's amazing that they're all still friends.:rolleyes:

IowaBayDog
12-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Prevailing theory? Which talk radio show did you hear this one from?

Lets answer the pertinent question first. Why would they stop this before the crime is committed and all the cast of characters get their fingers in?

Which talk show it may or may not have come from doesn't change the validity of the question. Unless that Koolaid hasn't worn off yet.

IowaBayDog
12-10-2008, 05:03 PM

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20081209/capt.470ba87964f747988838f7dc55a1ae15.illinois_gov ernor_profile_cx506.jpg?x=400&y=270&q=85&sig=_moTtIzxS.YfByHdhHzsBA--

Patrick Johndrow
12-10-2008, 05:26 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20081209/capt.470ba87964f747988838f7dc55a1ae15.illinois_gov ernor_profile_cx506.jpg?x=400&y=270&q=85&sig=_moTtIzxS.YfByHdhHzsBA--

Nice........

txbadger
12-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Doubt he gets sentenced and the time he serves will be determine of how well and long he sings. Thoughts from some chi-town friends are Fitz is after someone higher up the food chain.

When you think of C(r)ook County politics think of The Sopranos, nothing get done without some juice being paid.

Bob Gutermuth
12-11-2008, 12:54 PM
It may have been stopped by the messiah's transition people.. Eric Holder, AG designee likely was breifed in on it and got it stopped before it could be linked to the messiah.

Captain Mike D
12-11-2008, 02:29 PM
It may have been stopped by the messiah's transition people.. Eric Holder, AG designee likely was breifed in on it and got it stopped before it could be linked to the messiah.

DING DING DING!!!!!! We have a winner!!

cotts135
12-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Hey this guy was a real beauty. What I want to know is how he got elected in the first place? Did he buy it?
I believe this guy had a serious marble deficiency.

Illinois Bob
12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I thought this was interesting with all the crud surfacing in Illinois.Illinois ranks still only 18th among corrupt states.If we're 18th,what does that say about government all over our country? We need to clean house all over the place.North Dakota,way to go.First place!:(
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-12-10-corruptstates_N.htm

cotts135
12-12-2008, 03:27 PM
The truth is that your icon BHO was on Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac's payroll the entire time, and the root of the problem started with Carter & Slick Willy & the Neighborhood Reinvestment Act.

Your making some claims here I find hard to believe. You have any evidence supporting them?
It looks like you conveniently left out a few Republican Presidents. I think we had Ronald Reagan, George Bush Sr. and George Bush Jr.in their somewhere.

Blaming one party for this mess is ridiculous. Let's make all of them accountable. They need to stop listening to Big Business and Lobbyist with their own special interests and focus more on what the people want. Poll after poll shows these guys voting against what the public wants. The most recent is the Auto Bailout.

backpasture
12-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Lets answer the pertinent question first. Why would they stop this before the crime is committed and all the cast of characters get their fingers in?

Pretty simple.
Had Blagjoveich actually appointed someone to the Senate seat, it would have been very difficult to remove them.

And, the crime WAS committed. OJ will be out of jail before this guy will.

backpasture
12-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Eric Holder, AG designee likely was breifed in on it and ...

Or Rahm Emmanuel. It is likely that someone on Obama's team blew the whistle on this jackass. It looks like he may have tried to 'deal' with the Obama team, and they went to the feds with the information.

I doubt that scenario is complicated enough to meet the demands of the conspiracy theory buffs around here, though.

YardleyLabs
12-12-2008, 04:42 PM
So funny that you like to point to the "mess left by the past eight years," but when you point out the "financial system implosion" and state that this may fall under the "Bush Legacy," I seriously wonder if you get your info anywhere but from CNN and BHO's website. There is already no doubt that the BHO crowd has adopted this "mess left by the past eight years" as a crutch to lean on during any possible failures during the next 4 years. The truth is that your icon BHO was on Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac's payroll the entire time, and the root of the problem started with Carter & Slick Willy & the Neighborhood Reinvestment Act. Yes, the current administartion has made some mistakes, but a Dem controlled congress is responsible for the sub-prime loan crisis. Is this the financial system implosion that you refer to? If so, then the fact that BHO was the third most lobbied Sen by Fannie & Freddie sure seems like these associations are exteremely telling about your mesiah.

Also, when pointing out that we should not judge people by the company they keep, try not to do the same yourself in the second half of your post (it's very hypocritical).

Given that I assume you are talking about campaign contributions, I assume you are also aware that McCain received contributions from them as well and that his campaign manager receive more in lobbying fees from them than Obama and McCain put together. I think it's also pretty clear that both parties have promoted an economy founded on excessive debt with little regulation.

mad hunter
12-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey this guy was a real beauty. What I want to know is how he got elected in the first place? Did he buy it?
I believe this guy had a serious marble deficiency.

His father in law got him in. then after getting the govenors mansion he turned on his father in law. when he did that his political career took a down ward spiral. His father in law started airing alot of dirty laundry on him. he went under investigation about 1.5 -2 years after being in office.

IowaBayDog
12-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Or Rahm Emmanuel. It is likely that someone on Obama's team blew the whistle on this jackass. It looks like he may have tried to 'deal' with the Obama team, and they went to the feds with the information.

I doubt that scenario is complicated enough to meet the demands of the conspiracy theory buffs around here, though.

Someone in this thread already tried to go there. If the Obama team was the hero in this they would be shouting it from the rooftops not evading questioning and now outright lying. Obama stated he NEVER talked to the Governor nor did anyone on his team. Rahm is on tape at least 6 times talking with him. Not even in office yet and I bet we here the "it depends on what the definition of 'is' is" defense. The feds have already said the taps were for an ongoing investigation and they fell into this corruption. Nice try though, your guys is in deep better get the waders out.

IowaBayDog
12-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Pretty simple.
Had Blagjoveich actually appointed someone to the Senate seat, it would have been very difficult to remove them.

And, the crime WAS committed. OJ will be out of jail before this guy will.

Wrong, the Senate could have booted the selectee for ethics violations before he ever sat in a hearing since they would have been behind bars on bribery and conspiracy to commit extortion charges.

mad hunter
12-12-2008, 09:54 PM
there are many players in this game, they all knew what was going on, pay to play politics has been happening in Chicago for a very long time. Obama, Daley, Emil Jones all of them knew what was happening. The feds have plenty on Blago, they don't care about this senate seat thing, the only reason they moved in on it now was too many people started to know about it and they had to stop it before it could be linked to Obama, after all he is the "chosen one" and he can't be linked to this type of politics. even though he himself has benefitted from it. Anyhow, Blago was on his way out, Lisa Madigan was on her way in. The powers at hand didn't care about him making a little cash, they knew JJ would get it, that is who Obama wanted. However.... pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Blago started becoming a hog, he wanted more and more money and/or power. Well when he started getting too greedy and talking to too many people, they brought him down. Had he just done what he was suppose to do and take the cash from JJ's camp and leave it at that he would been fine. but since he wanted to get the price higher and started bringing outsiders in, they had to bring him down. after all they have to save the "machine". Now they all claim they knew nothing about it and how appalled they are that he would even do this. Obama claims he and his staff NEVER spoke to Blago or his camp, then after actually reading the charges and found his name and others in the complaint recanted and said... well someone in my office did speak to him, but it had nothing to do with pay to play. Bull&^T, he just has to cover up his role. Remember, Obama was trained by and is funded by the chicago machines. Blago just got greedy and forgot his role in this whole thing. he started believing he was in control.

Roger Perry
12-14-2008, 10:38 AM
You will not see Obama pardoning this crook unlike Bush pardoning and claiming executive privelege for all his crooked cronies.

mad hunter
12-14-2008, 10:57 AM
You will not see Obama pardoning this crook unlike Bush pardoning and claiming executive privelege for all his crooked cronies.

Bush did not invent this, many have done it before him and they will do it after him. And when Obama is on his way out of Office, he will do it as well. He may not pardon Blago, but he will pardon others just as dirty as Blago.

dixidawg
12-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Kind of like William Jefferson Clinton?

As President Bill Clinton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton) used his power under the U.S. Constitution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Constitution) to grant pardons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon) and clemency to 456 people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_by_Bill_Clinton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_by_Bill_Clinton)

when compared to GWB:

President (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_United_States)George W. Bush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush) had issued 171 presidential pardons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon#United_States) to people who have served their entire sentence, and has commuted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutation) in addition the sentences of eight people.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_by_George_W._Bush#cite_not e-AP_20081124-0)[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_by_George_W._Bush#cite_not e-1)[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_by_George_W._Bush#cite_not e-2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_by_George_W._Bush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_by_George_W._Bush)

Then take a look at the crimes they had commited and YOU decide which one was more egregious.

Roger Perry
12-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Bush did not invent this, many have done it before him and they will do it after him. And when Obama is on his way out of Office, he will do it as well. He may not pardon Blago, but he will pardon others just as dirty as Blago.

Yes, but Bush is pardoning and evoking executive prevledge to people to cover his own azz for crimes he may or may not have commited.

dixidawg
12-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Names and crimes please?

Roger Perry
12-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Names like Carl Rove and Gonzalez come to mind. Exposing a CIA agent and a little conterversy about hiring of lawyers in a political battle comes to mind as does illegal wire taps, illegal war ect. Just little things.

dixidawg
12-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Ohhhhh! Little things!

Little things like crimes actually being committed and those accused actually having due process in a court of law? And the presidenyt actually pardoning them of being convicted of crimes. Those little things???

Ain't those details a bitch?

backpasture
12-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Someone in this thread already tried to go there. If the Obama team was the hero in this they would be shouting it from the rooftops not evading questioning and now outright lying. Obama stated he NEVER talked to the Governor nor did anyone on his team. Rahm is on tape at least 6 times talking with him. Not even in office yet and I bet we here the "it depends on what the definition of 'is' is" defense. The feds have already said the taps were for an ongoing investigation and they fell into this corruption. Nice try though, your guys is in deep better get the waders out.

You are, of course, wrong as usual. Keep listening to Rush, though, he will keep you properly misinformed.

- Obama did NOT state he NEVER talked to the governor, nor did anyone on his team. He has, in fact, said that they are reviewing all contacts, and will disclose all of them. What he did say was that there was never any deal-making going on, and that he himself did not speak with the Governor.
- Rahm obviously spoke with the Governor's staff, and that is likely when the governor's staff tried to 'make a deal'. As you correctly note, they appear to have him on some of the tapes, so it will all come out eventually. I know it's fun to speculate, though -- and it's much more satisfying because you can just make stuff up and not have to worry about the truth.
- The fact that they aren't 'shouting from the rooftops' probably has something to do with the fact that this is an ongoing investigation (and one in which Rahm will probably be called to testify at some point). I know the Bush/Rove admin would have 'leaked' a book's worth of information on it if it were them, but thankfully the Obama administration looks to be more discreet (and competent).

Keep trying, though. It's always fun to see you channeling Rush's turd of wisdom.

backpasture
12-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Here's a little more info for you on the contacts between Emmanual and the Governor's camp, and the timing of the charges. Of course, since it doesn't support your conspiracy theory, feel free to discount it as lies from the 'liberal media' types over at the Wall Street Journal.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/12/14/the-real-story-behind-the-rushed-blagojevich-bust-how-the-feds-are-frustrated-by-losing-maybe-half-of-their-case/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122926660096904673.html?mod=special_page_campaig n2008_mostpop

Bob Gutermuth
12-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Since Jesse Jackson Jr was the national co-chair of the 'messiah's' electiion committee, and has been identified as candidate #5, this scandal may well stick to the incoming comrade POTUS. It certainly smells like a lot of the things he has been and involved in and denied that are Chicago politics as usual: like launching his political career in Bill Ayres house, buying a house with Rezko's assistance, and of course Rev Wright(sat in that guys church for 20 yrs and never heard any of the stuff that we saw and heard Wright say in the video clips). If Comrade Obama isn't impeached or forced to resign in the next four yrs he will be keeping special prosecutors busy.

K.Bullock
12-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Since Jesse Jackson Jr was the national co-chair of the 'messiah's' electiion committee, and has been identified as candidate #5, this scandal may well stick to the incoming comrade POTUS. It certainly smells like a lot of the things he has been and involved in and denied that are Chicago politics as usual: like launching his political career in Bill Ayres house, buying a house with Rezko's assistance, and of course Rev Wright(sat in that guys church for 20 yrs and never heard any of the stuff that we saw and heard Wright say in the video clips). If Comrade Obama isn't impeached or forced to resign in the next four yrs he will be keeping special prosecutors busy.

Bah! All coincidence, Obama is just constantly in the wrong place with the wrong person at the right time. *Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! The Great OZ(..er liberal media) has spoken!*

IowaBayDog
12-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Here's a little more info for you on the contacts between Emmanual and the Governor's camp, and the timing of the charges. Of course, since it doesn't support your conspiracy theory, feel free to discount it as lies from the 'liberal media' types over at the Wall Street Journal.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/12/14/the-real-story-behind-the-rushed-blagojevich-bust-how-the-feds-are-frustrated-by-losing-maybe-half-of-their-case/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122926660096904673.html?mod=special_page_campaig n2008_mostpop

Wow, interesting, so the Chicago Tribune is the one who saved JJ Jr.'s bacon. That's a big surprise since they also fired editors that were critical to Blago in the first place. Nice Town.

I actually believe BHO didn't know about any of this, its just that easy to believe he's completely clueless.

Scandal #2 is already brewing with his Commerce Secretary pick. That's a good position to have a bribe taker in :rolleyes:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aL0GGUluJeT8&refer=worldwide (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aL0GGUluJeT8&refer=worldwide)

backpasture
12-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Scandal #2 is already brewing ....

I'm sure there will be plenty more 'scandals'. This seems to be what the Republican party does when they are out of power -- manufacture scandals and fling sh*t until they find something that will stick.

At least it's better than having them actually run things (into the ground).

Marvin S
12-15-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm sure there will be plenty more 'scandals'. This seems to be what the Republican party does when they are out of power -- manufacture scandals and fling sh*t until they find something that will stick.

:) that is so pathetic it's funny!! The Republican Party does not have an equivalent to Schumer &/or Waxman, it might help if they did. But you have to believe the cartoonists are :D with the thought of BO for the next 4 years.

backpasture
12-16-2008, 09:35 AM
But you have to believe the cartoonists are :D with the thought of BO for the next 4 years.

And the comedians are trying to figure out how to be funny now without the wealth of material they have had for the past 8 years.

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."
- Will Rogers

Bob Gutermuth
12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
The Comrade 'messiah' will provide PLENTY of material for Leno et all for the next four years, if he can avoid being indicted or impeached for that long

backpasture
12-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Looks like Newt Gingrich is 'in the tank' for Obama now, too. Here's the letter he sent to RNC Chair Mike Duncan:

I was saddened to learn that at a time of national trial, when a president-elect is preparing to take office in the midst of the worst financial crisis in over seventy years, that the Republican National Committee is engaged in the sort of negative, attack politics that the voters rejected in the 2006 and 2008 election cycles.

The recent web advertisement, “Questions Remain,” is a destructive distraction. Clearly, we should insist that all taped communications regarding the Senate seat should be made public. However, that should be a matter of public policy, not an excuse for political attack.

In a time when America is facing real challenges, Republicans should be working to help the incoming President succeed in meeting them, regardless of his Party.

From now until the inaugural, Republicans should be offering to help the President-elect prepare to take office.

Furthermore, once President Obama takes office, Republicans should be eager to work with him when he is right, and, when he is wrong, offer a better solution, instead of just opposing him.

This is the only way the Republican Party will become known as the “better solutions” party, not just an opposition party. And this is the only way Republicans will ever regain the trust of the voters to return to the majority.

This ad is a terrible signal to be sending about both the goals of the Republican Party in the midst of the nation’s troubled economic times and about whether we have actually learned anything from the defeats of 2006 and 2008.

The RNC should pull the ad down immediately.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1208/Newt_denounces_Blago_attacks.html?showall

Marvin S
12-16-2008, 04:59 PM
The Comrade 'messiah' will provide PLENTY of material for Leno et all for the next four years, if he can avoid being indicted or impeached for that long

Jay has a BO impersonator on presidential jeopardy that is not too bad.

Looks like Newt Gingrich is 'in the tank' for Obama now, too. Here's the letter he sent to RNC Chair Mike Duncan:

You do understand that the Neuter, who like his successor & POTUS Bill, was morally & ethically challenged. He has a desire to be relevant but will never be. He resides in that "No Person's Land" between being a Rockefeller R & being a real Republican. Some good attributes, many not so good.

backpasture
12-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Jay has a BO impersonator on presidential jeopardy that is not too bad.

You do understand that the Neuter, who like his successor & POTUS Bill, was morally & ethically challenged. He has a desire to be relevant but will never be. He resides in that "No Person's Land" between being a Rockefeller R & being a real Republican. Some good attributes, many not so good.

Great! He's a RINO? Kick him out! Exile him to No Person's Land.

If you think the way forward for the Republican party is to dismiss those in your party who aren't ideologically 'pure', then you have my full support. I'm more than happy to see you move the party in that direction.

Marvin S
12-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Great! He's a RINO? Kick him out! Exile him to No Person's Land.

If you think the way forward for the Republican party is to dismiss those in your party who aren't ideologically 'pure', then you have my full support. I'm more than happy to see you move the party in that direction.

I debated with myself even bothering to answer, but here goes.

The neuter was very relevant during the implementation of the Contract with America, then blew it all personally with his personal conduct. Had the party stayed the course, we would have a huge majority today & none of the Bushism's the party is suffering for now.

I think we will see a better flock of candidates in the next election cycle after there have been 4 years of Socialism stuffed down our craw. The reaction of this Adminstration, again, most of whom are at best, RINO's, is a disgrace to the free market principles of this nation.

But I am sure the entrepeneurs & the workers will dig out from under the pile, it's just the nature of this great country. :o

Illinois Bob
12-19-2008, 08:08 AM
The plot thickens.I can't wait to see the ending.:razz:
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/12/19/report-emanuel-spoke-directly-blagojevich-senate-seat

Henry V
12-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Hey Henry,it's fun to see a crooked politician get busted irregardless of what party he's from.I'll bet more can be found from both of those parties to keep us all entertained for awhile.
Could not agree more. Corruption is bipartisan.

Henry V
12-19-2008, 02:20 PM

Hew,
Too serious much?
Your response to my obvious joke was priceless. Thanks.
If you still don't get it read Buzz's comment.

Glad to see my comments don't get under your skin because I have no credibility regards,

Hew
12-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Hew,
Too serious much?
Your response to my obvious joke was priceless. Thanks.
If you still don't get it read Buzz's comment.

Glad to see my comments don't get under your skin because I have no credibility regards,
Perhaps in the future you can give a heads up when you're going for humor or satire or anything beyond the run-of-the-mill shrill bleating about the sky falling. Thanks in advance.

Leitner Farm Labs
12-23-2008, 09:15 PM
It seems that all of our governors in IL want to make License plates for a living, maybe we could get a discount on the fee's someday.
Sort of funny!!

cotts135
12-25-2008, 07:53 AM
There are very few things politicians do good. There is one thing they have been extremely successful at and that is to divide and conquer. We all seem to be so caught up in Republican vs Democrat that sometimes we don't see what really is going on. Does it matter what party your in if you lie to your constituents. Does it matter what party your in if you take bribes? Does it matter what party your in if you break the law in any way shape or manner? It doesn't matter what party your in if what you do is either illegal or unethical.

We are in an economic crisis we haven't seen since the Great Depression. Congress has seen it fit to pass a 750 billion bailout bill to the financial industry with basically no strings attached.Just a few days ago banks refused to tell us how they have spent our money. This is hard for me to fathom. Yet when the auto industry asked for 25 billion of our money they want to know down to the last penny how the money was spent. To me this is a travesty, why accountability for one and not the other.? Most of you can guess why.

This isn't a Republican vs Democrat thing, this is a failure of our Congress to act in the electorates best interest instead of their own. They have succeeded in diverting our attention from what is really important. We need to see this for what it is and hold these people accountable.

Marvin S
12-25-2008, 09:33 AM
There are very few things politicians do good. There is one thing they have been extremely successful at and that is to divide and conquer. We all seem to be so caught up in Republican vs Democrat that sometimes we don't see what really is going on. Does it matter what party your in if you lie to your constituents. Does it matter what party your in if you take bribes? Does it matter what party your in if you break the law in any way shape or manner? It doesn't matter what party your in if what you do is either illegal or unethical.

We are in an economic crisis we haven't seen since the Great Depression. Congress has seen it fit to pass a 750 billion bailout bill to the financial industry with basically no strings attached.Just a few days ago banks refused to tell us how they have spent our money. This is hard for me to fathom. Yet when the auto industry asked for 25 billion of our money they want to know down to the last penny how the money was spent. To me this is a travesty, why accountability for one and not the other.? Most of you can guess why.

This isn't a Republican vs Democrat thing, this is a failure of our Congress to act in the electorates best interest instead of their own. They have succeeded in diverting our attention from what is really important. We need to see this for what it is and hold these people accountable.

Good direct post - I think you're becoming a Conservative - that's what we believe in - ACCOUNTABILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS -

Merry Christmas to you!!!!

Raymond Little
12-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Always has and always will be about "Politics","Congress has seen it fit to pass a 750 billion bailout bill to the financial industry with basically no strings attached.Just a few days ago banks refused to tell us how they have spent our money". Not a trick question but, do you remember exactley who controls "Congress"?

Keeping it Real Regards

Raymond

subroc
01-01-2009, 09:11 AM
And the hits just keep on coming...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/1231082hsu1.html

Patrick Johndrow
01-01-2009, 09:54 AM
political integrity "

Those two words should never be used together.

It would have been nice is the FBI would have waited until a crime had been committed instead of just discussed. Sloppy police work

subroc
01-04-2009, 04:35 PM
And more hits just keep on coming.

Now it is the selection of Richardson.

This administration is vying for the most corrupt in history before it is even in office!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090104/ap_on_el_pr/richardson

dixidawg
01-04-2009, 04:46 PM
and coming...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/01/04/americas/clinton.php