PDA

View Full Version : Battle Lines Being Drawn in Fight Over Fairness Doctrine

K.Bullock
12-21-2008, 08:44 PM
A senior advisor to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told one magazine last year, “Conservative radio is a huge threat and political advantage for Republicans and we have had to find a way to limit it.” Senator Chuck Schumer of New York stated on a live cable news show on Election Day his support for a new Fairness Doctrine so, as he said, we could truly be “fair and balanced” under his definition. Obama’s political confidant, Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois, said, “It’s time to reinstitute the Fairness Doctrine.”

And just this week, Representative Anna Eshoo (D-CA), a prominent member of the House Subcommittee that may take up the Fairness Doctrine next year, said that she wanted to bring it back. “I still believe in it,” Eshoo told the Daily Post in Palo Alto.

Why do they say it’s needed? They claim the federal government must ensure local stations fully cover local news and topics of the day. However, those promoting the new Fairness Doctrine come from the politically correct left, which is incensed that conservative-minded talk show hosts have large ratings, large audiences, and big paychecks.

This is getting so old, merry HanaChristmaKwanzadan and a happy winter solstice day. And may all of your non-religious specific days be filled with joy, zen, positive energy and happy pills. :)

Bob Gutermuth
12-21-2008, 09:33 PM
The liberals need it because in the free market of ideas on the air very few folks are buying their bovine scatology, witness the dearth of listeners for Air America in comparison to Rush or Sean or O'Reilly.

K G
12-21-2008, 09:50 PM
The last time the government got involved in the radio business was with the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Ask any radio broadcaster you know if they like what that Act did to radio.

More government in private business.....haven't we already seen enough of that????:eek:

kg

cotts135
12-22-2008, 02:44 PM
The liberals need it because in the free market of ideas on the air very few folks are buying their bovine scatology, witness the dearth of listeners for Air America in comparison to Rush or Sean or O'Reilly.

I think how people voted is a better indicator of what they believe than what some right wing talk host says.

K.Bullock
12-22-2008, 03:01 PM
I think how people voted is a better indicator of what they believe than what some right wing talk host says.

Cool, then call your congressman and tell them you oppose the fairness doctrine.

K G
12-22-2008, 04:42 PM

I think how people voted is a better indicator of what they fear than what they believe.

IMHO regards,

kg

Patrick Johndrow
12-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I think how people voted is a better indicator of what they fear than what they believe.

IMHO regards,

"J's RJ's BJ's none of them count....."

Arturo, 12/15/08

kg

KG…could not agree more with your assessment of the latest election.

Secondly I couldn’t disagree with your signature line more…while Js and RJs are worthless it is apparent the neither you nor Arturo have had a good BJ.

achiro
12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
So if they enact it will they make ESPN have commentators on to support the Big12?

Franco
12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
The last time the government got involved in the radio business was with the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Ask any radio broadcaster you know if they like what that Act did to radio.

kg

What a disaster the TeleCom Act of 96 is! Authored by Republicans and signed by Bill Clinton, in an attempt to eliminated competition. What the Republicans don’t understand is that competition is GOOD for business. Consolidation/Deregulation is today’s monopoly!

What the act did was to eliminate tens of thousands of jobs as well as thousands of small businesses. You know those small businesses that are the backbone of our economy. And, it serves those corporate giants well that their stock is now worth a nickel on the dollar!

One person trying to do the job that eight use to do. That’s because the bean counters that now run this industry have very little broadcasting backgrounds. Gone are many of the real broadcasters and pioneers that made programming compelling. Now we have half-ass consultants working for the bean counters, telling them what they want to hear.

Though I have benefited from the TeleCom Act of 96, I wish it would have never happened!

Satellite is no better off. After the merger of XM with Sirius, their stock is at an all time low and their debt won’t be handled by them. People working for the satellite companies that are paying them in stock now want cash because their stock is worthless.

As far as the Fairness Doctrine goes, I think it will never happen. First of all, Conservative Talk Radio appeals to those over 55 years of age. I can’t remember the last big advertiser that wanted to target the over 55 crowd. It is too difficult for any advertising to have any influence on anyone over 55. In fact, the Democrats are better served having folks like Rush, Laura Ingram and Sean Hannity define the Republican party. This past Presidential election was won by those voters under 35 and the Dems know it. Let us not forget how big a role the internet played in this past election. Until the Republicans modify their platform and understand the bigger power of the internet and how that influence minimizes folks like Rush and Sean, they will continue to lose elections.

Franco
12-22-2008, 07:04 PM
So if they enact it will they make ESPN have commentators on to support the Big12?

ESPN and other Sports Broadcasters will show no respect for the Big 12 until they can win a modern day BCS title over an SEC team, which will probably never happen!

YardleyLabs
12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
You guys talk fairness. SEC this, Big 12 that. Baloney. I want equal time for the Ivy League. I live 15 miles from my alma mater and can't get the results of a game. Who cares if they can't play -- EQUAL TIME FOR THE IVIES!!!:p:p

K.Bullock
12-22-2008, 11:24 PM
You guys talk fairness. SEC this, Big 12 that. Baloney. I want equal time for the Ivy League. I live 15 miles from my alma mater and can't get the results of a game. Who cares if they can't play -- EQUAL TIME FOR THE IVIES!!!:p:p
I didn't know they had a football team.:razz::lol:

duckheads
12-23-2008, 10:04 AM

ivy league who would have guessed!

K G
12-23-2008, 10:13 AM
KG…could not agree more with your assessment of the latest election.

Secondly I couldn’t disagree with your signature line more…while Js and RJs are worthless it is apparent the neither you nor Arturo have had a good BJ.

If you've been paying attention PJ (I could have some serious fun with that, but I'll spare you....this time....;-)), I'm a big fan of Arturo's wit and candor. This is the third time I've used one of his witticisms as my sig line; I'm sure it won't be the last.

What might be apparent is a lot like what one might assume....and even an old jarhead like you knows what that'll get ya....:D

Hang in there, PJ....you may eventually come up with something worth quoting in a sig line....:D

Merry almost-Christmas regards,

kg

Patrick Johndrow
12-24-2008, 07:14 PM
If you've been paying attention PJ (I could have some serious fun with that, but I'll spare you....this time....;-)),

Hang in there, PJ....you may eventually come up with something worth quoting in a sig line....:D

Merry almost-Christmas regards,

kg

Thanks for sparing me the details

But I have been quoted by some of the coolest guys and hottest chicas on RTF....gotta pay attentions keith.

Merry Christmas to you brother