PDA

View Full Version : Toughen up Feet

Margo Ellis
01-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Any ideas on how I can toughen up a dogs feet that is used to the soft grass of Vermont?
Is there any product out there to put on their feet, she has had issues from the get go during upland game season in the mountains, wears the pads off so that they are bleeding.

Steve Hester
01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Margo,
I have found this stuff to be great to toughen up the pads.

http://www.dogsafield.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R092-001

Golddogs
01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Any ideas on how I can toughen up a dogs feet that is used to the soft grass of Vermont?
Is there any product out there to put on their feet, she has had issues from the get go during upland game season in the mountains, wears the pads off so that they are bleeding.

Pad Heal is the best I have found. We use it all year, heavy during hunting. It is available thru Gander Mt or Cabela's. Might be able to find it at a farm store in the horse section called Hoof Heal or something like that. Same stuff, different package.

Also works great in snowy and cold conditions. NEVER had a pad problem while using this stuff.

pupaloo
01-09-2009, 11:12 AM
If you feed her one 50 mg. zinc tablet a day, she will grow tougher, better pads.

Bob Gutermuth
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
There is a product called Tuffpad available from various pet suppliers. If you want to save a few $$$ get the same stuff from your pharmacist without the fancy name. Tincture of Benzoin is about 90% cheaper and is the active ingredient in Tuffpad.

SeniorCoot
01-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Put them outside on gravel-- it will do a great job- creds- 21 yrs as a sled dog racer where feet, eating, and stools are most important items to worry about. other than that I also sell gravel-Ha!

TN_LAB
01-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Rumor is that boxers (prize fighters) used to soak their hands in pickle juice and/or urine to toughen them up. I think I read that on the internet somewhere, so you know that's gotta be true.

Patrick Johndrow
01-09-2009, 10:36 PM
There is a product called Tuffpad available from various pet suppliers. If you want to save a few $$$ get the same stuff from your pharmacist without the fancy name. Tincture of Benzoin is about 90% cheaper and is the active ingredient in Tuffpad.

Good stuff.

Choclabs4me
01-10-2009, 11:02 AM

Move back to Vermont.

Margo Ellis
01-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Move back to Vermont.

Oh haa haa, not an option.:mad: why is there one in every bunch.....?

I will probably go with the Tuff Foot or Tuff Pad as there have been people that have used these products.
They are out side but not on pea stones as of this moment, just moved and haven't had a chance to determine the permanent location of the kennel.

I don't think I want to think about having Meg soak her feet in urine!!!! :o :rolleyes:

2tall
01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
If you feed her one 50 mg. zinc tablet a day, she will grow tougher, better pads.

So is zinc ok as a supplement? I read on this forum about a dog dyeing from eating a penny, and it was the zinc in the penny that was toxic. Whats the difference?

Judy Chute
01-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Carol....we have to run, but here is one site: just to explain the type of zinc dogs need...and there is a site with sled dogs ..and a source to buy zink. when we get home, if you have not found it I will post again. I think someone on the Forum said to google ..zink dogs or visa versa..maybe Kristi?

www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659+1662&aid=718

Wayne Dibbley
01-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Pad Heal, this stuff seems to work really well.

http://www.culpeppers.co.uk/products/photos/padcare/Pad%20Heal%208fl%20oz.JPG?display=xlarge

Wayne

pupaloo
01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
So is zinc ok as a supplement? I read on this forum about a dog dyeing from eating a penny, and it was the zinc in the penny that was toxic. Whats the difference?

I don't know how much zinc is in a penny. My cat ate a penny once-she had it surgically removed...

50 mg. of zinc for a lab-sized dog will not be toxic. There is likely more than that in your dog's food. Zinc helps the body heal, and helps with skin and coat-and pads. My dog gets a zinc tablet every day. His pads hold up well, even on multi-day hunting trips in rocky terrain. He also doesn't shed much at all or have a doggy smell. Not sure if that's all because of the zinc or not.

I feed it on the advice of my partner, who is a veterinary surgeon. He recommends it to all his hunting and/or competitive clients for pad improvement. He did research with zinc and sled dogs, as referenced in the article posted above. The article also has information on toxicity levels.

You can put whatever you want on your dog's pads topically-but improving the quality of the pad can only be done from the inside, where they grow.

Judy Chute
01-10-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't know how much zinc is in a penny. My cat ate a penny once-she had it surgically removed...

50 mg. of zinc for a lab-sized dog will not be toxic. There is likely more than that in your dog's food. Zinc helps the body heal, and helps with skin and coat-and pads. My dog gets a zinc tablet every day. His pads hold up well, even on multi-day hunting trips in rocky terrain. He also doesn't shed much at all or have a doggy smell. Not sure if that's all because of the zinc or not.

I feed it on the advice of my partner, who is a veterinary surgeon. He recommends it to all his hunting and/or competitive clients for pad improvement. He did research with zinc and sled dogs, as referenced in the article posted above. The article also has information on toxicity levels.

You can put whatever you want on your dog's pads topically-but improving the quality of the pad can only be done from the inside, where they grow.

Here's the person that posted recently to another thread regarding pads... !! :)

Said to google "dog pads zinc" and links will come up...

Several sites come up for sources and information. One is.. www.howlingdogalaska.com/zincgluco.html .......that I thought was interesting.

Checked our grocery store here as they also have a pharmacy. Out in the pharmacy but had 50 mg tablets of Zinc Gluconate...in the Natural foods area. I think it was around $5.99 ..not a huge bottle so perhaps cheaper elsewhere.

Captain Mike D
01-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Margo,

Way back in the 70's when I commercial fished for a living, we would toughen ou hands to handling a few thousand pounds of flapping gill plates and scales by soaking our hands in 1 ga.salt water combined with 1 1/2 ounces of Alum.

Made my hands so tough, I was able to supplement my income by getting a job giving exfoliating massages when I wasn't out on the boat

Choclabs4me
01-10-2009, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=Margo Ellis;383685]Oh haa haa, not an option.:mad: why is there one in every bunch.....?

:rolleyes: Maybe because some of us Vermonters miss you.:confused:

Margo Ellis
01-10-2009, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=Margo Ellis;383685]Oh haa haa, not an option.:mad: why is there one in every bunch.....?

:rolleyes: Maybe because some of us Vermonters miss you.:confused:

Well I am sorry, but with out a signature or a location I thought you were being....sarcastic...sorry.

I do miss my buddys back there but I am try hard to pave out my space here in Montana, but my darn dogs feet are driving me nuts. I used to have a little trouble with her feet in the winter during icy times but this is crazy, just a little gravel and some pattern blinds the other day and she had a bloody pad in back. If she did go at the speed of sound....

Anyway sorry for the confusion I thought someone here was kicking me back home. :oops: