PDA

View Full Version : inauguration

subroc
01-18-2009, 08:46 PM
WoW!!

I am not sure if it really matters or not, but it is a bit of money.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl204

M Remington
01-18-2009, 08:52 PM
That's a hell of a lot of money!

luvmylabs23139
01-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Total waste of my hard earned money that the gov't stole from me. I want my money back!@!!

Art Geddes
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
maybe this is how they help fund it.

Getting a Parking Ticket

The other day I went downtown to run a few errands. I went into the
local coffee shop for a snack.
I was only there for about 5 minutes, and when I came out, there was
this cop writing out a parking ticket.

I said to him, 'Come on, man, how about giving a retired person a break'?

He ignored me and continued writing the ticket.
His insensitivity annoyed me, so I called him a 'Nazi.'

He glared at me and then wrote out another ticket for having worn tires.

So I proceeded to call him a 'doughnut eating Gestapo.'

He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first.

Then he wrote a third ticket when I called him a moron in blue.

This went on for about 20 minutes. The more I talked back to him the
more tickets he wrote.

Personally, I didn't really care. I came downtown on the bus, and the
car that he was putting the tickets on had one of those
bumper stickers that said, 'Obama in '08.'

I try to have a little fun each day now that I'm retired.

The doctor tells me that it's important to my health.

I felt much better on the bus ride home.

Art

backpasture
01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I would say Wow as well... to some very sloppy reporting.

The key items:
- The article actually links to a Media Matters story about the fact that the $150M number is completely unsubstantiated.
- The cost quoted for Bush ($42M) didn't include security costs, etc, that are included here. The actual budget of the Presidential Inaugural Committee is $45M.
- That money comes from private donors.

The facts don't usually get in the way of the right wing nutosphere's hissy fits, though. The tizzy over the cost of the Inauguration is a lot like the tizzy over the 'fairness doctrine' -- something for the right wind pundits to fill air time with. (You end up scraping the bottom of the barrel when you have to talk about SOMETHING for hours on end, I guess.)

Rush, Hannity and company are becoming the boys who cried wolf -- which is why they are becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Eric Johnson
01-19-2009, 04:31 PM
My issue is that the money paid by HBO to film the concert should have gone to the National Park Service....not the Inaugural Committee. Why was a concert held on the grounds of a national monument broadcast under a private license? I couldn't see it.

Eric

IowaBayDog
01-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Backpasture is right, $150 Million is unsubstantiated, its more like $170 Million.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inauguration/story?id=6665946&page=1

But this is just from those right wing nuts at ABC News. :rolleyes:

backpasture
01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Backpasture is right, $150 Million is unsubstantiated, its more like $170 Million.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inauguration/story?id=6665946&page=1

But this is just from those right wing nuts at ABC News. :rolleyes:

Yep. It quotes all the same 'sources' as the others. In other words, it doesn't. The number (whatever one they opt to pull out of their *sses), is 1) made up, and 2) not paid for by taxpayers.

Just silly stuff. It's like complaining about how much the Super Bowl costs. Gotta fill air time, though.

Hew
01-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Yep. It quotes all the same 'sources' as the others. In other words, it doesn't. The number (whatever one they opt to pull out of their *sses), is 1) made up, and 2) not paid for by taxpayers.
In your last post you said that Obama's inauguration costs are substantially higher than Bush's because Obama's numbers include the costs for security. Is security not footed by taxpayers? Let me guess, only Bush's inaugural cost taxpayer money?

For the record, I don't care much what the costs are for Obama's inaugural are (and didn't care what Bush's were). They seem like a reasonable expense for celebrating and affirming the American political process every four years and are a drop in the bucket compared to the money that's pissed down a tube every other day. What's galling is the hypocrisy of those who kvetched about the pricetag for Bush's festivities are conveniently silent now.

YardleyLabs
01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
I would be interested in anything substantiating the media "quotes" showing bias that began this thread. I haven't found anything beyond the AP story I noted before (which did not evidence the bias claimed) and the MSNBC Tamron Hill assertions that Obama's inauguration is costing $100 million more than Bush's (a factual error). Unfortunately, most of these little conservative email flames are much heavier on claimed "facts" than they are on references. Without references, this one seems to join the throng of lies and distortions that are thrown in the hope that mud will stick.

luvmylabs23139
01-20-2009, 11:54 AM
In these so called terrible economic times, the best thing that fool Obama could have done was set an example of fiscal responsiblity by having a small well contained inauguration spending as little money as possible, rather than this circus costing a fortune. A total waste of money and I for one am totally disgusted.

Bob Gutermuth
01-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Whatever he spend on this party, it commemorates the darkes tday in america since Pearl Pearl Harobur and 811 combinded.

JDogger
01-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Whatever he spend on this party, it commemorates the darkes tday in america since Pearl Pearl Harobur and 811 combinded.

:(Sorry Bob

Franco
01-20-2009, 12:19 PM
In these so called terrible economic times, the best thing that fool Obama could have done was set an example of fiscal responsiblity by having a small well contained inauguration spending as little money as possible, rather than this circus costing a fortune. A total waste of money and I for one am totally disgusted.

That would have earned Obama some respect by those who are leary of him! Having a modest event would have been a greate example but, lets don't forget he's a Democrat.

And, we are rich! These guys can sling around billions of dollars like nickels because, IT AIN"T THEIR MONEY! Heck, we can just continue to print more money.

I haven't watched any of it nor will I watch any of it!

Gun_Dog2002
01-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Geez for all that money you think they could have gotten PDiddy to sing ....

and you think he could have managed to memorize the oath of office. If thats the best he can do without a teleprompter then the late night shows will have lots of material.

/Paul

badbullgator
01-20-2009, 01:16 PM
INteresting the stock market is down 170 points right now, just after the oath.....

<<<<<not watched it either, but then again I have never watched one

luvalab
01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Geez for all that money you think they could have gotten PDiddy to sing ....

and you think he could have managed to memorize the oath of office. If thats the best he can do without a teleprompter then the late night shows will have lots of material.

/Paul

He did memorize it.

Apparently the Chief Justice fed him the wrong words, which is what led to the momentary comedy for ya'll.

This may be the first inauguration I've been able to watch all the way through in real time. The ceremony was interesting, the speech was interesting in that it was a little tougher than I expected and though there were parts I disagreed with in terms of message or tone it certainly had some things to think about in it, Aretha was a treat, and Yo Yo Ma is a national treasure.

Like him or not, approve of the hoopla or no, it can only be a good thing that it went off smoothly and peacefully.

Some of my friends call me jaded, which kind of hurts my feelings; checking out this board makes me feel like a wide-eyed grinning tourist by comparison. As a whole I found it quite engaging and inspiring.

As an added bonus, Mr. Obama held off enough on the Lincoln allusions that he did not take the oath in tails and a stovepipe hat. After the train ride into DC, a few of us here in the heartland were just a little concerned about possible fashion references...

Captain Mike D
01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
INteresting the stock market is down 170 points right now, just after the oath.....

<<<<<not watched it either, but then again I have never watched one

Now down 311 points--- Dow is below 8000

Guess the 150 mil party ain't enough of a stimulous package!

Captain Mike D
01-20-2009, 04:57 PM
From MSN.Money---

"Financial markets gave Barack Obama no presidential honeymoon.
As the nation's 44th president took office from George W. Bush and walked up Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House on a cold, sunny afternoon, deepening fears about financial companies battered stocks to two-month lows.
At the close, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 332 points, or 4%, to 7,949.
The percentage decline was the biggest ever on the first day of an administration. That broke the old record of 2.9%, set on Nov. 22, 1963, when Lyndon Johnson took over after John F. Kennedy's assassination.
The Nasdaq Composite Index shed 88 points, or 5.8%, to 1,441, and the Standard & Poor's 500 Index dropped 45 points, or 5.3%, to 805.
The market's close was the worst since bottoming on Nov. 20, and there was talk late today that U.S. stocks will head lower. "

duk4me
01-20-2009, 05:32 PM
The sky is falling the sky is falling!

Captain Mike D
01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
The sky is falling the sky is falling!

No Brother,

The sky isn't falling, just anyone with a 401K or a retiree drawing on investments in the stock market are leaking(not dripping) blood. Maybe you are involved with an industry or service where is does not affect you, but for many, the financial health of our clientelle is paramount to our success for our families.

Uncle Bill
01-20-2009, 07:35 PM
No Brother,

The sky isn't falling, just anyone with a 401K or a retiree drawing on investments in the stock market are leaking(not dripping) blood. Maybe you are involved with an industry or service where is does not affect you, but for many, the financial health of our clientelle is paramount to our success for our families.

Hope you have the time to struggle through, Mike. But now that the 8,000 barrier has been breeched, I fear it will continue down through 5,000. There is bound to be some ups and downs...even possible rallys that many will think it's bottomed out. But I'll be surprised if the bottom won't be below 5K. Don't envy you the grief.

UB

Last Frontier Labs
01-20-2009, 10:22 PM
I was surprised by the amount of prayer incorporated into today's inauguration. At the high school where I work, they had alot of inauguration day activities and we watched alot of the ceremonies on TV. I made mention to the principal that there was more religion in school today than there had been in decades.

Last Frontier Labs
01-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Are you serious?? The election of a president you don't care for, is worse than the deaths of thousands of service men and women (Pearl) and the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians in the most horrible act of terroism ever (9/11)???:(

backpasture
01-21-2009, 10:39 AM
What's galling is the hypocrisy of those who kvetched about the pricetag for Bush's festivities are conveniently silent now.

I'm still not sure who those people are who were kvetching. I am sure you can find an article or two with someone complaining about it, but I don't recall much covereage about it. Certainly not as much coverage as I have seen talking about the cost of this innauguration. As far as I can tell the 'kvetching' came from one AP writer, and one writer for Salon. (Oh, and UB's made-up headlines that he posted in another thread.)

kjrice
01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Hope you have the time to struggle through, Mike. But now that the 8,000 barrier has been breeched, I fear it will continue down through 5,000. There is bound to be some ups and downs...even possible rallys that many will think it's bottomed out. But I'll be surprised if the bottom won't be below 5K. Don't envy you the grief.

UB
My dad pulled his money last summer and said he expects it to hit in the low 6k range. So far he is on track.

Hew
01-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm still not sure who those people are who were kvetching. I am sure you can find an article or two with someone complaining about it, but I don't recall much covereage about it. Certainly not as much coverage as I have seen talking about the cost of this innauguration. As far as I can tell the 'kvetching' came from one AP writer, and one writer for Salon. (Oh, and UB's made-up headlines that he posted in another thread.)
Here's a partial compilation of some of the print media hand wringing (quotes w/ links to original): http://newsbusters.org/blogs/clay-waters/2009/01/16/nyts-inauguration-hypocrisy-bush-chided-2005-obama-free-party

I've read others. I've also seen transcripts from an ABC Nightly News story that trashed Bush's 2005 inaugural...even going so far as to go find Cindy Sheehan to comment on the appropriateness of it.

That took 30 seconds. You've got Google, too. ;-)

duk4me
01-21-2009, 02:14 PM
No Brother,

No I'm not in an industry that is unaffected. Check out the poultry industry for the last five years.

Any retiree depending on the stock market for more than 20% of their income needs a new advisor and if they don't have one they need to get one.

THe stock market will come back it is a question of when not if and in mo now is the perfect time to start looking to buy some bargains.

Eat more chikin.:)Regards,

Tim

YardleyLabs
01-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Just to add a few more:

--------
Obama hosting pricey party in a dicey economy

By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer Matt Apuzzo, Associated Press Writer Sat Jan 17, 1:23 pm ET (Published in major newspapers including The Washington Post)

WASHINGTON Unemployment is up. The stock market is down. Let's party.

The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun.
------------

The Yahoo Newsroom

That's a Lot of Baloons

As the recession continues to wreak havoc on the U.S. economy and inauguration celebrations ramp up, a lot of people are asking: "How much will this shindig cost?"

The short answer? Likely more than $150 million and yep, that could be the most expensive ever. (George W. Bush was given a hard time for the $42.3 million cost of his inauguration celebrations ... but that number, as Media Matters points out, did not include any security.).

-----------------------

Inauguration price tag: $150 million
It is going be some party. When Barack Obama comes to Washington to be sworn into office, the entire nation will be watching - and paying for - the celebration.
By Catherine Clifford, CNNMoney.com staff writer
Last Updated: January 19, 2009: 11:49 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The total cost of the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States will likely top $150 million by the time the galas and streamers and porta-pots are all cleaned up.

---------
The Guardian
Obama's inauguration set to be the most expensive in US history
The $150m (102m) cost of the celebration will dwarf the amount spent on George Bush's inauguration in 2005

Washington prepares for Obama's inauguration with a dress rehearsal Link to this video

President Barack Obama's inauguration next week is set to be the most expensive ever, predicted to reach over $150m (102m). This dwarfs the $42.3m spent on George Bush's inauguration in 2005 and the $33m spent on Bill Clinton's in 1993.

-------------------------

Inauguration costs too high in this economic climate

January 18, 2009
With at least 2 million people expected for Barack Obama's inauguration, not only will the celebration be the biggest of its kind in the nation's history, but by far it also will be the most expensive.

Of course, much of the additional cost has to do with the fact that Obama will become the first African-American president. This historic feat, without question, warrants a special celebration.

And yes, President Bush spent a record $70 million on his 2005 inauguration, at a time when young American soldiers were being killed in escalating numbers.

But the question is still valid: Amid these challenging economic times the worst since the Great Depression isn't a $150 million party for Obama's inauguration over the top? Frankly, yes.

------------------

The NY Times published a couple of opinion pieces about the cost of the Bush inauguration, stimulated in part by letters and complaints by a NY Congressman. It published one news story that was locally authored criticizing the cost of the Obama inauguration plus the critical AP piece. Interestingly, MSNBC, which is generally as fawning in its praise of liberals as Fox is of conservatives, was the source of the most mis-leading story line about the inaugural cost when it compared the $150 million plus cost of the Obama inaugural to the $40 million cost of the bush inaugural, failing to note the exclusion of security costs from the latter estimate. This was ultimately pointed out by MSNBC's Media Matters but was first reported as is in papers throughout the world. Was that bias or bad reporting?

Illinois Bob
01-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Only 1459 days to go before we can get a new president.:(

YardleyLabs
01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Only 1459 days to go before we can get a new president.:(

:D:D I thought the same in 2001 and look how that turned out....:D:D

Illinois Bob
01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
:D:D I thought the same in 2001 and look how that turned out....:D:D

I know. I stole it off of an 8 year old bumper sticker.:)