PDA

View Full Version : Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

Gun_Dog2002
01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/show

/Paul

labdoc
01-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Way scary. I see this is sponsored by Rahm Emmanuel and others.

I would love to know how many on this forum would willingly go apply for the license on firearms they already own. The jails couldn't hold us all.

YardleyLabs
01-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Is there any reason to believe that this is going anywhere? Most bills introduced never go (and are never intended to go) further that the resume of the politician whose name is on the bill. Is this different?

Edit: I don't see any co-sponsors at all for this bill suggesting that it is going no where. Rahm Emmanuel is no longer a member of congress and could not be a co-sponsor.

labdoc
01-29-2009, 06:36 PM
You're right, I should have said supported not sponsored. As far as passage, I never would have thought billions for another stimulus or bank bailouts had a snowball's chance either. I truthfully am way more concerned about additional ammo legislation such as ammo taxes, imprinting, etc. vs gun legislation. All the weapons in the world do no good if you can't afford or unable to feed them.
Does anyone know about this? Feedback?
www.ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

JDogger
01-29-2009, 06:38 PM
R Little wrote in another thread;
"Where's Yardley,M Remington,Jdogger,Zeus,Backpashturd? Maybe they can explain exactley how all this is going to work."

I'll reply here, rather than dragging this topic back to the top on the other forum.

Speaking for myself, though I may disagree with some of you on politics and policy, I am not a supporter of Bobby Rush and his proposed, idiotic Bill.

I own guns, hunt, and support the the 2nd Amendment in its entirety, both hunting, and self-protection from the government and anyone else seeking to threaten myself or my family. Don't make the assumption that because someone may have a differing opinion on one issue, that extrapolates to differing opinions on all issues.

JD

M Remington
01-29-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't really see anything objectionable. Enlighten me.

JDogger
01-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Sorry Mark,
You replying to me, or the original poster?

JD

K G
01-29-2009, 08:02 PM
I don't really see anything objectionable.....

There's a shocker........:rolleyes:

kg

M Remington
01-29-2009, 08:03 PM
There's a shocker........:rolleyes:

kg

You didn't answer the question. What do you object to? And don't give me the tired old line "licensing is the first step toward taking my gun away." I've had a driver's license for 30 years and no one has ever tried to take my car away.

zeus3925
01-29-2009, 08:04 PM
This issue is covered in another thread. I wrote my congressman on this issue. How about you?

M Remington
01-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Sorry Mark,
You replying to me, or the original poster?

JD

Concern shown on the board for this proposal.

Gun_Dog2002
01-29-2009, 08:24 PM
You didn't answer the question. What do you object to? And don't give me the tired old line "licensing is the first step toward taking my gun away." I've had a driver's license for 30 years and no one has ever tried to take my car away.

Typical example used by the anti's. Lets break down your little, "I've had a driver's license for 30 years and no one has ever tried to take my car away" comparison shall we.

1. You can own a car without having a license. You can have dozens of cars for that matter. Its not required to have a license to own a car.

2. Car wrecks are one of the leading causes of death. Having a driving licenses, thousands of traffic laws and police forces in every town devoting a huge percentage of their resources to traffic enforcement has done nothing to curb death via car wrecks.
3. What was the original purpose of the license? It was a certificate that the person had taken and passed a drivers safety course and demonstrated they knew the rules of the road. Today a drivers license is used for just about everything but that. The same could be said of your SSN. What use could the license information for all guns have?

Lets take a look at this legislation shall we.

1. Will it prevent accidental gun fatalities. Nope. Not one of the items in it will do that.
2. Will it prevent crime. Nope. Criminals won't follow one ounce of it.
3. Will it keep guns from kids. Nope. Most kids either get guns from criminals or irresponsible parents. These laws won't fix that.
4. Will it be an additional tool for the legal system to use in prosecuting criminals. Nope. There are so many gun laws on the books now that a prosecutor can take his pick. Besides, any real gun crime committed would break substantially higher laws than any put forth in this bill.

So what exactly is the purpose of this bill? Lets face it. It paves the way for a complete ban on guns.

/Paul

Patrick Johndrow
01-29-2009, 08:36 PM

I think I can say most of us on this board object to any type of gun control and we are more interested in criminal control. Our legislators seem more interested in inconveniencing law abiding citizen than they do criminals.

Cold Dead Hands Regards

K G
01-29-2009, 09:02 PM

On this topic, I can't improve on what Hew said.

My original post ("what a shocker...") was to express my "shock" at your seeing nothing objectionable about the bill. You've made it more than obvious that there is no "enlightening" you if the only comparison you can come up with is your car........:cool:

kg

Steve Amrein
01-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Hey guys dont pick on MR He is still laying in bed savoring the afterglow and having a smoke. He is still on the honeymoon and hasnt turned the TV on or cracked the daily paper.

dixidawg
01-30-2009, 09:12 AM

What amendment in YOUR constitution guarantees the right to drive a car?

greg ye
01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
What amendment in YOUR constitution guarantees the right to drive a car?

Exactly: Driving is a privelege, gun ownership is a right.

Gun_Dog2002
01-30-2009, 09:54 AM
What happened to Mr. Remington. Not like him to know have a snappy reply?

/Paul

Martin
02-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Mr. R. really? Your Pic says it! Gun dog..Good job. K G...great words. I really hope this bill fails quickly, but the bailouts and payoffs worked. Burn the phone lines up.

Live free, Die hard!