PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Nuvi 550

Last Frontier Labs
02-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Do any of you have this unit? If so, are you pleased with road maps and topo maps? We have a handheld GPS, but Jim would like one with road maps as well.
We would also be using this in the boat.

ad18
02-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Although I am not familiar with the unit you are asking about all of the Garmin products are first rate. Magellan and Tom Tom make excellent machines as well, but are usually measured against the equivalent Garmin. Some are better, some are not. Having said that the maps and map software that runs all of the above is first rate. The only issue you may want to look into is if the 550 has been out any length of time the maps themselves may be outdated. Usually out 3-5 years so if you travel a lot of known routes you will be fine. If you hit new roads, subdivisions etc. the roads may not show. However all of the above have updated files every couple of years that you can purchase ($80 give or take), download online, and push into the GPS with your computer. If you purchase the unit new you may be able to download the most recent maps for free. A couple of good sights to get info is "gpsreview.net" and "gpsmagazine.com". Both have excellent forums and great information. Search google on "gps review" and tons of others will show. As for using it on a boat unless the unit has the ability to load marine maps you will not be able to use it. Most of the units are roads/land only. If you want a marine unit with depth charts and mapping you will have to buy a dedicated unit. Hope this helps and enjoy your new machine.

Vicky Trainor
02-09-2009, 06:20 PM
We have one 550 and two 750 units. Really love the 750 units.

Do yourself a favor and go with the wide screen! On Garmin's website, both the 550 and the 750 have the same suggested retail price. I know we didn't pay $399 for ours since we bought them at Sam's Club.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

tshuntin
02-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I recently bought the Nuvi 760 through Amazon. It was about $240 plus shipping, new. I really like it so far.

lablover
02-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Anyone that buys a new gps should by the widescreen version. Graphics are better, road spellings are easier to read, and you can see the detail from the drivers seat, without leaning forward.