PDA

View Full Version : We are a republic not a democracy

Hoosier
02-09-2009, 06:56 PM
This is something you should watch. Forms of government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4r0VUybeXY&feature=related

YardleyLabs
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
The fact that we are a republic is clear. If we were a democracy GWB would have lost the 2000 election and Gore would have been president.;)

K G
02-09-2009, 10:04 PM
If "ifs and buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas....:cool:

Democratic republic indeed regards,

kg

Hoosier
02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
;-)
The fact that we are a republic is clear. If we were a democracy GWB would have lost the 2000 election and Gore would have been president.;)

I haven't been on this site much lately. Looking at your recent posts you seem to have gotten bitter. What happened?

Henry V
02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
;-)

I haven't been on this site much lately. Looking at your recent posts you seem to have gotten bitter. What happened?

You also need to ask if he is clinging to his guns, don't you? :)

YardleyLabs
02-10-2009, 06:15 AM
You also need to ask if he is clinging to his guns, don't you? :)

Hey, I carry my guns,no need to cling.;)

Not bitter at all. However, threads that are pure rants are not very interesting since they have nothing to do with facts or fact-based analysis. Understand, I'm talking about rants in general, without regard to which "side" they come from. I usually find political discussions here more interesting that those I have with my more moderate (don't worry, I know you would use a different term;-)) friends because of the differences of perspective and even the different "fact base" from which each of us operates.

However, when discussions sink to whether or not someone says "God bless America" at the end of a press conference, or bumps his head getting into a helicopter, reason has clearly left the room. Sometimes we all need a little more perspective, a little more humor, and a lot less hate. I don't hate my dogs when they fail to do what I ask. I enjoy my dogs and the things I do with them. I play retriever games because because of my dogs more than I have dogs because of the games.

I always enjoyed GWB's creative destruction of the English language, but never took them as the measure of the man. I believe that he will go down in history as one of our worst Presidents, but I recognize that I, like all of us, lack historical perspective and that history may judge him differently. Despite my feelings about Bush's Presidency, I also believe he is a good man who did the best that he could for a country that he loves. He is strong, intelligent, charismatic, and a patriot.

Obama is all of those things also. When we are unable to recognize and respect the character of even our worst enemies than we are giving up a core part of our humanity. We are also setting ourselves up for failure because you will almost always underestimate someone you demonize.