PDA

View Full Version : 22 cal training pistol

Thomas D
02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Looking to buy a 22 cal pistol for training. Not a blank pistol, but a real pistol in which I can shoot blanks.

Any suggestions?

badbullgator
02-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Tom there are lots of very good ones out there. You have to decide what else you want it for. If only for training a short 2 inch barrel might be the way to go. For me I like a 4 or 6 inch barrel so I can use it for snakes and other pest. I would suggest the following. Take a look at them and see what you like.

Canít go wrong with Ruger Single Six, but I donít think you will find a short barrel

S&W 650 is really nice and comes in a 2Ē as well as longer barrels (I think)
S&W 17 or 63 also both good guns
(note I have a hard time finding S&W .22's used)

A little more affordable is the Taurus 941 and it comes in short barrels. The Taurus Tracker is a very nice .22 but it is heavy and may not come in a short barrel

TN_LAB
02-19-2009, 10:39 AM
check out your local pawn shop

Thomas D
02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
BBG...I have a Ruger Single Six in stainless with an extra 22 mag barrel. 1776 - 1976 Commemorative. I just can't bring myself to use it for a training gun!

Will check out the others you mentioned.

badbullgator
02-20-2009, 09:21 AM
BBG...I have a Ruger Single Six in stainless with an extra 22 mag barrel. 1776 - 1976 Commemorative. I just can't bring myself to use it for a training gun!

Will check out the others you mentioned.

That is one of my favorites but not good for training. I would call you loacl gun shopw and pawn shops and ask what they have in .22. THe S&W's I reccomended above are great, but the Taurus are maybe a better bet for a training gun. They are cheaper to buy and the newer ones are tough, but watch the ones older than 5-7 years. At some point in time they made a change and the quality got much better than the older guns, however, even the older ones are fine in .22