PDA

View Full Version : Obomo appoints yet another TAX CHEAT

Julie R.
03-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Does Obomo's entire social circle consist of those that think they're above the law? Or, ahem, let's make that, those that don't pay their taxes til they make the front pages of the newspapers.

http://blog.mlive.com/elections_impact/2008/12/small_ron-kirk-trade-rep.jpg
Meet Ron Kirk, former Dallas mayor and Obomo's pick to be U.S. Trade Rep.
Kirk owes an estimated $10,000 in back taxes from earlier in the decade and has agreed to pay them, the Senate Finance Committee said Monday.

The former Dallas mayor is the fourth nominee by President Barack Obama to run into tax problems.

White House spokesman Ben LaBolt said Kirk was working to clear up "a few minor issues" uncovered by the Senate committee. LaBolt expressed confidence that Kirk would be confirmed by the Senate.

Here's the link, for you lefties that like to fact-check:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090303/ap_on_go_pr_wh/kirk_taxes

Goose
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Come on, Ron Kirk's just being sloppy with his taxes.

My favorite democrat criminal of all times is Sandy 'Burglar' Berger. Remember him? He was caught stuffing classfied documents down his pants from the National Archives...documents that had been requested by the 9/11 Commission and Berger was stealing so he could destroy them.

But according to the democrats and their leftist press Sandy Burglar was just being sloppy. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Kirk's just being sloppy.

Legacy 6
03-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Anyone hear about the earmark from the state of Nevada that would give money to the Bunny Ranch just outside Vegas??

Now THAT'S stimulus!! Pun intended!!

backpasture
03-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Just a friendly reminder that tax problems are a bipartisan issue:

Gov. Sarah Palin to pay back taxes
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/909156.html

Those in glass houses....

road kill
03-03-2009, 12:26 PM

My bad, I thought we were talking about President Obama's Cabinet appointees.

K G
03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
How many does that make now in the CURRENT administration?

So much for "change" regards,

kg

TCFarmer
03-03-2009, 12:37 PM

From the article
"Gov. Sarah Palin must pay income taxes on thousands of dollars in expense money she received while living at her Wasilla home, under a new determination by state officials."

The key word is new. Daschle, Geithner, and the others knew for a long time that they owed taxes. This story is from 2/18/09, if this is now settled and the taxes aren't paid in a couple of months let us know then.

backpasture
03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
From the article
"Gov. Sarah Palin must pay income taxes on thousands of dollars in expense money she received while living at her Wasilla home, under a new determination by state officials."

The key word is new. Daschle, Geithner, and the others knew for a long time that they owed taxes. This story is from 2/18/09, if this is now settled and the taxes aren't paid in a couple of months let us know then.

If I recall, that same defense (ignorance) was used by the folks you mention. ("But I didn't know I was supposed to pay taxes on my a) Car service b) Medicare/SS witholdings that I thought were already being withheld c) Per diem expenses")

Like Sarah Palin, Ron Kirk apparently has also agreed to pays his back taxes. Daschle and Geithner have already done so. So, I guess that means they are also 'settled'.

Glass houses...

badbullgator
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
http://floridasportsman.com/art/lol.gif (http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/post?cmd=reply&id=10303756#)

Thus proving that it doesn't read or does read and only gets what it wants out of it.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/art/puke.gif (http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/post?cmd=reply&id=10303756#)

K G
03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
If a dem/lib is doing it, it's okay to use the "glass house" defense....so much for the "change" motif....

BP, you decided on manning up and telling us who you are?

kg

Matt McKenzie
03-03-2009, 02:35 PM
BP,
Just out of curiosity, why not just discuss the issue at hand, instead of rationalizing criminal behavior by pointing out that a Republican has done something similar? It seems that any time a point is brought up about a Democrat, you deflect by claiming the same behavior by a Republican. What does that prove other than that there are scoundrels on both sides?
The fact is that we are finding multiple Obama appoinees that have tax problems. That could indicate a number of things:
a. Our President likes tax cheats
b. Our President has a staff that is incompetent and incapable of properly vetting a candidate
c. Democrats in general don't pay taxes
d. Politicians in general don't pay thier taxes
e. The tax code is so complex, most of us can't understand it and may likely be tax cheats, ourselves
f. None of the above.

What I find disturbing from folks on both sides of the political aisle is the tendency to justify bad behavior on the part of "our guys" with examples of bad behavior on the part of "their guys". I am personally disgusted with both Republicans and Democrats. Bush's big government tendencies are just as unappealing to me as Obama's. His prescription drug benefit plan is just one step toward Obama's social medicine plan. If we the people continue to allow our elected officials to pit us against one another as if we are sports fans rooting for our respective teams, instead of citizens concerned about the future of our country, we all lose. We should be most critical of those that purport to represent our beliefs, not just those that oppose them. As a Conservative, I should be quick to point out those on the right that represent me poorly. As a Liberal(?), you should be policing your own house as well. If we can't agree that cheaters should not be elected or appointed into positions of power, regardless of political affiliation, this country is doomed.
That said, if you feel that Sarah Palin is a tax cheat, start a new thread and let's discuss it.
Respectfully,

Franco
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I think the IRS should audit all in Congress and Supreme Court as well as all sitting in State Congressional offices. We might find 4 trillion in upaid taxs/interest to pay for Obomos boondoogle bills!

backpasture
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
If a dem/lib is doing it, it's okay to use the "glass house" defense....so much for the "change" motif....

It's not a defense of anything. It's a recognition of hypocrisy. The circumstances in these cases are all very similar, so either Sarah Palin deserves scorn along with the Democrats that get singled out, or none of them deserve scorn since they have all 'settled' their back tax issues.

backpasture
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
BP,
Just out of curiosity, why not just discuss the issue at hand, instead of rationalizing criminal behavior by pointing out that a Republican has done something similar? It seems that any time a point is brought up about a Democrat, you deflect by claiming the same behavior by a Republican. What does that prove other than that there are scoundrels on both sides?
The fact is that we are finding multiple Obama appoinees that have tax problems. That could indicate a number of things:
b. Our President has a staff that is incompetent and incapable of properly vetting a candidate
e. The tax code is so complex, most of us can't understand it and may likely be tax cheats, ourselves
f. None of the above.

What I find disturbing from folks on both sides of the political aisle is the tendency to justify bad behavior on the part of "our guys" with examples of bad behavior on the part of "their guys". I am personally disgusted with both Republicans and Democrats. Bush's big government tendencies are just as unappealing to me as Obama's. His prescription drug benefit plan is just one step toward Obama's social medicine plan. If we the people continue to allow our elected officials to pit us against one another as if we are sports fans rooting for our respective teams, instead of citizens concerned about the future of our country, we all lose. We should be most critical of those that purport to represent our beliefs, not just those that oppose them. As a Conservative, I should be quick to point out those on the right that represent me poorly. As a Liberal(?), you should be policing your own house as well. If we can't agree that cheaters should not be elected or appointed into positions of power, regardless of political affiliation, this country is doomed.
That said, if you feel that Sarah Palin is a tax cheat, start a new thread and let's discuss it.
Respectfully,

I'm pointing out that the conclusion reached by the original poster here was:
or

In reality, I think is is mostly a case of:
and
f. People in general cheat on their taxes, and the more money you make, the more money you are cheating the IRS out of.

badbullgator
03-03-2009, 03:09 PM

BP, you decided on manning up and telling us who you are?

kg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/DaGriz/thspitcoffee.gif (http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/post?cmd=reply&id=10400077#)

It would have to be a man to man up. Nobody would want ot put a name on the kind of crap he puts out

Eric Johnson
03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
This isn't exactly a tax cheat. This guy accepted bribes.

Eric

Buildings sprang up as donations rained down on Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion
BY Benjamin Lesser and Greg B. Smith
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Sunday, March 1st 2009, 1:35 PM

The man who is President Obama's newly minted urban czar pocketed thousands of dollars in campaign cash from city developers whose projects he approved or funded with taxpayers' money, a Daily News probe found.

Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion often received contributions just before or after he sponsored money for projects or approved important zoning changes, records show.

K G
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
It's not a defense of anything. It's a recognition of hypocrisy. The circumstances in these cases are all very similar, so either Sarah Palin deserves scorn along with the Democrats that get singled out, or none of them deserve scorn since they have all 'settled' their back tax issues.

Still not proud enough of your stance to use your real name?

Credibility, man....if you're confident enough to pontificate and promote all things democratic/liberal, then you should be man enough to use your own name.

There.

kg

badbullgator
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM

Credibility, man....if you're confident enough to pontificate and promote all things democratic/liberal, then you should be man enough to use your own name.

There.

kg

KG
He has me on ingore so my request for his credibility are going unnoticed

backpasture
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM

Still more concerned about who is making the argument than the merits of the arguments themselves?

EdA
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Come on, Ron Kirk's just being sloppy with his taxes.

Ron Kirk is an attorney and I think a good and decent man. He was a very good Dallas Mayor and had he still been in office the Cowboys would not be building their palace in Arlington but rather in downtown Dallas where it belongs. He is a get it done guy and will probably be good in his position as US Trade Representative (for whatever that's worth).

Apparently the biggest issue was some speaker's fees that he assigned to his alma mater but did not declare the income and take the donation deduction.

The only part of this that troubles me (10K in back taxes is a pittance for someone with his income) is why would a high profile ATTORNEY who is a politician and who makes lots of money not have a CPA go over his return with a fine tooth comb?????......:confused:

backpasture
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
The only part of this that troubles me (10K in back taxes is a pittance for someone with his income) is why would a high profile ATTORNEY who is a politician and who makes lots of money not have a CPA go over his return with a fine tooth comb?????......:confused:

He claims he did, and that the CPA erred.

TCFarmer
03-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Here is the entire article from the Alaska Daily News.

http://www.adn.com/palin/story/693695.html

Here are some of the points.

1) This is a new decision by state officials. It sounds like many of the employees of the state were recieving these payments and not paying taxes, because the state was not counting it as taxable income.

2) The article is dated 2/17, I don't know if the taxes are paid or not. Daschle knew about his bill last summer, but didn't pay until he was offered a job in the administration. I believe that Geithner was told several years ago that he needed to pay the taxes. And Kirk owes taxes from earlier in the decade.

3) Other state employees owe taxes for travel payments and will be getting revised tax forms.

4) This all came about at the request of the Gov.
"Last fall we raised questions about longstanding practices within the
Department of Administration regarding tax treatment of per diem
payments," Kreitzer wrote in an exchange of e-mails over the past few
days with the Daily News.

"At the Governor's request, we reviewed the situation to determine
whether we were in full compliance with the pertinent Internal Revenue
Service regulations," Kreitzer wrote. "As a result of this review, we
determined that per diem needs to be treated as income, requiring a
revision of W-2 forms for any affected employees."

road kill
03-03-2009, 04:42 PM

1) This is a new decision by state officials. It sounds like many of the employees of the state were recieving these payments and not paying taxes, because the state was not counting it as taxable income.

2) The article is dated 2/17, I don't know if the taxes are paid or not. Daschle knew about his bill last summer, but didn't pay until he was offered a job in the administration. I believe that Geithner was told several years ago that he needed to pay the taxes. And Kirk owes taxes from earlier in the decade.

3) Other state employees owe taxes for travel payments and will be getting revised tax forms.

Please stop trying to convulute everything with FACTS!!
That's not fair!!

backpasture
03-03-2009, 04:51 PM

A 'new decision' yes, but not a 'new rule'. Essentially they looked at the existing rules and said "yep, she owes back taxes".

In Palin's instance, as with the others, it comes down to whether you think it was done on purpose, or whether they just screwed up because the tax rules are so complex.

It's a political rorschach test.

K G
03-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Still more concerned about who is making the argument than the merits of the arguments themselves?

Both. Polls don't impress me. A man willing to use his name while "arguing" for a man he believe in DOES.

kg

Matt McKenzie
03-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm pointing out that the conclusion reached by the original poster here was:
or

In reality, I think is is mostly a case of:
and
f. People in general cheat on their taxes, and the more money you make, the more money you are cheating the IRS out of.

And this is how you do that? Below was your post. If the above was your intention, this is an interesting way to make the point. You may want to dumb it down some because I don't have the deductive skills to make the connection. I was under the mistaken assumption that you were defending the numerous tax issues of Obama appointees by pointing out that Sarah Palin is required to pay back taxes after in investigation that she initiated determined that she owes money. My bad. I'm sure you are just as concerned as the rest of us that a high percentage of recent political appointees have for one reason or another not paid their full share of taxes until they found themselves in the spotlight. You might be a liberal, but I can't imagine that you would simply overlook this seeming trend because you believe that "people in general cheat on their taxes" or because tax problems are a "bipartisan issue".

"Just a friendly reminder that tax problems are a bipartisan issue:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/poli...ry/909156.html

Those in glass houses...."

For the record, I don't cheat on my taxes and I don't live in a glass house. I hold myself to a high standard of ethics and integrity and I demand the same from our "leaders". People who excuse a lack of personal integrity in our elected or appointed officials for any reason disgust me and are the reason this country is in the condition it is in. I don't care if you are liberal or conservative, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Independent, Tory or Whig, if you start making excuses for unethical behavior for "your guys" for political reasons, you are one step away from treason in my opinion.

K G
03-03-2009, 05:54 PM
This isn't exactly a tax cheat. This guy accepted bribes.

Eric

Buildings sprang up as donations rained down on Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion
BY Benjamin Lesser and Greg B. Smith
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Sunday, March 1st 2009, 1:35 PM

The man who is President Obama's newly minted urban czar pocketed thousands of dollars in campaign cash from city developers whose projects he approved or funded with taxpayers' money, a Daily News probe found.

Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion often received contributions just before or after he sponsored money for projects or approved important zoning changes, records show.

Ahhhh....the plot thickens. Wonder if he got his start as a "community organizer?"

kg

backpasture
03-03-2009, 07:26 PM
You may want to dumb it down some because I don't have the deductive skills to make the connection.

I'll try harder to do that next time.

Patrick Johndrow
03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Criminals tend to run in packs.

Matt McKenzie
03-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I'll try harder to do that next time.

There will be no next time. I'll no longer attempt to engage you in any type of discourse. You've proven yourself either incapable or unwilling to have a reasonable conversation about the issues. There are those here (Jeff and Joe S. for example) who fall left of me on most political issues, but have the ability to present thier arguments in a respectful and thoughtful manner. I usually enjoy reading their positions on matters political, even though I often find myself in disagreement. I suspect that both of them are men of character and I would probably enjoy spending time in a duck blind or training dogs with either of them.
I get a very different feeling about you based on your posts here. Your unwillingness to claim your drivel by posting your real name should have been a red flag, but I'm often too willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt. My policy has always been to treat everyone with respect until they prove themselves unworthy of my respect. I believe we have reached that point here. We need to have no further interaction.

WindyCreek
03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Well said and I could not agree more!

There will be no next time. I'll no longer attempt to engage you in any type of discourse. You've proven yourself either incapable or unwilling to have a reasonable conversation about the issues. There are those here (Jeff and Joe S. for example) who fall left of me on most political issues, but have the ability to present thier arguments in a respectful and thoughtful manner. I usually enjoy reading their positions on matters political, even though I often find myself in disagreement. I suspect that both of them are men of character and I would probably enjoy spending time in a duck blind or training dogs with either of them.
I get a very different feeling about you based on your posts here. Your unwillingness to claim your drivel by posting your real name should have been a red flag, but I'm often too willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt. My policy has always been to treat everyone with respect until they prove themselves unworthy of my respect. I believe we have reached that point here. We need to have no further interaction.

luvmylabs23139
03-03-2009, 08:20 PM
He claims he did, and that the CPA erred.

A CPA can only go on the info provided by the client. Every CPA has a disclaimer that states in general that the tax return is based on the information provided by the client. If the client does not inform the CPA of certain income, it will not be on the return. (just an example). If a CPA is not party to a client's (or their wife's) full financial actions they are not liable for misinformation reported by the client, (or other people).

luvmylabs23139
03-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Look, the new head of the IRS needs to understand the tax laws. He was told that he had to pay the taxes and was given compensation from the IMF to pay the taxes. He took the money and did not pay the taxes. He is a crook and belongs in jail. They gave him the money with instructions that for was for those taxes. He knew!!

Julie R.
03-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Well since Obomo's been through his circle of friends and confidants and they're all turning out to be tax cheats, maybe next he'll start installing his family members in Cabinet level positions. Here are some future agency heads, errr, the Royal Family, posing with their Magic Brother at the White House earlier this week. Some of them live in public housing in the U.K., that should be sufficient experience to head up HUD!
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/02/article-1158473-03B7CEED000005DC-413_468x286.jpg

Hoosier
03-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Well since Obomo's been through his circle of friends and confidants and they're all turning out to be tax cheats, maybe next he'll start installing his family members in Cabinet level positions. Here are some future agency heads, errr, the Royal Family, posing with their Magic Brother at the White House earlier this week. Some of them live in public housing in the U.K., that should be sufficient experience to head up HUD!
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/02/article-1158473-03B7CEED000005DC-413_468x286.jpg

Well if I ever get invited to the White House for dinner I'm gonna wear blue jeans and a sailors cap, I would also let my kid ware an old stained sweatshirt.

Legacy 6
03-05-2009, 12:51 AM

Been there with BP many times... he or she, whatever, is unable to engage in any kind of discussion without blaming everything on Bush or the Republicans and our "failed" policies. And with no sense of humor to speak of, not even funny posts are free from his/her lack of intelectual pontifications.

I once said that if he/she ever fell over and bumped his/her head, he/she would probably blame it on Bush and cry out to Democrats that it's unfair that he/she tripped...

No offense BP, but you are kind of a killjoy... you can quote drivle with the best of them, and I admire your ability to memorize authors of inane and obscure political and environmental articles, but your inability to think for yourself most of the time breaks my heart.

Hookset, take care and don't let BP get under your skin too much... we Conservatives prefer to to keep those poor "Progressives" under our thumb.

Sounds like the political party for Car Insurance salesmen regards.

scott2012
03-05-2009, 03:24 AM
BP,
f. None of the above.

Respectfully,

Very well said!!