PDA

View Full Version : Ed Rawlins on the RNC/ Limbaugh debate

zeus3925
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Enjoy!
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/04/rollins.republicans/index.html

Marvin S
03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Mr. Rawlins was paid by the "Huckster" during the campaign, that does not make him a real Republican. The employment of Mr Rawlins in the Reagan White House gives him the same credibility in the Republican world as Brady, Gergen, Krugman et al.

The Republicans will not do well following the advice portrayed in that column, but they will eventually do well as they have a strong core of individuals who believe in the reasons this country was founded. I personally think Michael Steele is too moderate, without the fire in his belly attitude toward limited government that serves the core so well.

But then, I'm sure the posting pleased your left leaning sensibilities, so enjoy it while you can. 2010 is coming. :D :o

Goose
03-05-2009, 06:28 PM
We have an economy that's been flushed down the toilet and it's a 50/50 toss-up whether we go into depression and all Dear Leader can do to divert the country's attention from his inability to lead is to produce an enemies list of private citizens and attack them. Dick Nixon would be proud.

We've hired a guy in Dear Leader who hates free-enterprise, he hates capitalism, and he even hates his own country. He's just getting started. Even liberals like Cramer realize what a huge mistake he made with this guy.

And he's got reprobates like Pelosi and Reid doing the dirty work in Congress. There's really nothing anybody can do about it.

zeus3925
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Mr. Rawlins was paid by the "Huckster" during the campaign, that does not make him a real Republican. The employment of Mr Rawlins in the Reagan White House gives him the same credibility in the Republican world as Brady, Gergen, Krugman et al.

The Republicans will not do well following the advice portrayed in that column, but they will eventually do well as they have a strong core of individuals who believe in the reasons this country was founded. I personally think Michael Steele is too moderate, without the fire in his belly attitude toward limited government that serves the core so well.

But then, I'm sure the posting pleased your left leaning sensibilities, so enjoy it while you can. 2010 is coming. :D :o

Did you pay your dues to the Party yet? Bet not.

Marvin S
03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Did you pay your dues to the Party yet? Bet not.

During the last campaign I contributed to several candidates who approach the philosophy of limited government, plus a couple of moderates that had opponents who were really bad. But I do have the letter on my table from the RNC & am waiting for something concrete that I can support. Until then they will have to get by without my contribution, but I have already made my yearly contribution to Club for Growth, a fine fiscally conservative organization, that vets candidates & tells us what they stand for.

zeus3925
03-05-2009, 07:56 PM
During the last campaign I contributed to several candidates who approach the philosophy of limited government, plus a couple of moderates that had opponents who were really bad. But I do have the letter on my table from the RNC & am waiting for something concrete that I can support. Until then they will have to get by without my contribution, but I have already made my yearly contribution to Club for Growth, a fine fiscally conservative organization, that vets candidates & tells us what they stand for.

Good for you. I admire a man that puts his money where his mouth is. Its these guys with barroom wisdom that contribute nothing or don't vote that are a load. Soldier on, I enjoy the debate.

M Remington
03-05-2009, 10:20 PM
We have an economy that's been flushed down the toilet and it's a 50/50 toss-up whether we go into depression and all Dear Leader can do to divert the country's attention from his inability to lead is to produce an enemies list of private citizens and attack them. Dick Nixon would be proud.

We've hired a guy in Dear Leader who hates free-enterprise, he hates capitalism, and he even hates his own country. He's just getting started. Even liberals like Cramer realize what a huge mistake he made with this guy.

And he's got reprobates like Pelosi and Reid doing the dirty work in Congress. There's really nothing anybody can do about it.

"He hates his country?" How can I identify people who love our country?

Marvin S
03-06-2009, 12:07 AM
"He hates his country?" How can I identify people who love our country?

Don't look in the mirror - ;-)

zeus3925
03-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Serious question, Marvin: What is a Republican? What is a conservative?

When you say Republican, I think of Ed Rawlins, Charlie Crist, Dick Lugar, Bush the elder, etc.. They are decent folks and if the ran the local bank, I could leave my money with them. Certainly, I'm not philosophically in sync with them all the time, but I like to hear their viewpoints.

When you say conservative, I think of William F. Buckley. Certainly a learned and articulate spokesman for conservatism. I am not from the same social class, so my starting point is different than his, but I found him quite thought provoking.

Then there is Limbaugh who people call a Republican, and says he is not, he says he is a conservative. To me he sounds more like a bitter, mean barroom blowhard that is impressed with the sound of his own voice more than with the sound of his thoughts.

Can you help me out here Marv. Which is which?

Mike Noel
03-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Then there is Limbaugh who people call a Republican, and says he is not, he says he is a conservative. To me he sounds more like a bitter, mean barroom blowhard that is impressed with the sound of his own voice more than with the sound of his thoughts.

That is the problem on both sides, it seems like the only people that get attention are the folks operating on the fringes of the left and the right. The pendulum appears to be swinging further left and then further right with each political cycle....eventually enough of us will get fed up enough to stop it from swinging and let it hang in the middle, where it will be pointing to the words "COMMON SENSE"

My whole mantra during the elections was "vote for gridlock".....Even if the Republicans would have rolled out a monkey in a clown suit for president I would have voted for him. With a divided Washington we at least get debate on some of these issues as opposed to having one party's agenda being shoved down our throats.

Marvin S
03-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Serious question, Marvin: What is a Republican? What is a conservative?

There is no one size fits all as individuals are subject to different life experiences, some experiences making an imprint & some not. We all have different views based on those experiences, but I believe it important that there not be a desire to control others law abiding actions, except where necessary. It's the definition of necessary that creates controversy.

When you say Republican, I think of Ed Rawlins, Charlie Crist, Dick Lugar, Bush the elder, etc.. They are decent folks and if the ran the local bank, I could leave my money with them. Certainly, I'm not philosophically in sync with them all the time, but I like to hear their viewpoints.

I would be less than lukewarm to all of the above, though each may have some individual deeds worthy of praise. I consider them left of moderate Republicans.

Being a nice person does not excuse a lack of fiscal competence (Read My Lips) or failure to be a good manager when in higher office. I personally like Jon Kyl who was included in the list of 6 Senators & something like 50 Representatives who scored 90% or better on Club for Growths Fiscal Responsibility list. BTW - Ron Paul, the darling of the uninformed, was in the 65% range so he is not as anti spending as he would want one to believe.

When you say conservative, I think of William F. Buckley. Certainly a learned and articulate spokesman for conservatism. I am not from the same social class, so my starting point is different than his, but I found him quite thought provoking.

Steve Forbes, Editor of Forbes & former POTUS candidate is what I would call a bright moderate Republican. Having read the magazine pre-Steve until now, he is a true spokesman for most of what is good about business in America.

I truly enjoyed National Review with Buckley at the helm, it appears the magazine is continuing that tradition of high quality written articles. One should subscribe for nothing else other than to improve their vocabulary. Many of the articles are thought provoking though they may be somewhat contrary to one's established train of thought. I expect to read "God & Man at Yale" when my table clears somewhat.

My own personal thought process, though trending more conservative yearly after having voted for Stevenson in '52 (didn't believe a military person should be POTUS), really came about while reading "Conscience of a Conservative" by Barry Goldwater in the early '60s. It allowed me to be exposed to a sensible approach to governing & what has transpired since then says Goldwater was correct. This would be a different world today had the election gone differently.

These people are entertainers, the mention of his name probably drives Limbaugh into ecstacy, but when he is not patting himself on the back he can be very informative & would have to be considered the best of the radio babblers. You have to admit he is stuck on himself. But he drives a large audience & moved McCain in the right direction during the campaign for POTUS. McCain went from unacceptable to somewhat so because of that move, John just wasn't comfortable with it. Mrs. McCain would have made a better POTUS than any of them.

I listen to very little radio or watch little TV - Sports & the market are what interest me - occasionally a sitcom. & Yes I do try to do a little dog training though distances to acceptable training areas make that harder to accomplish all the time.

The rest - Hannity, O'Reilly, Coulter, et al are pseudo conservative, they'd be liberal if there was any money in it. Their worthy of little comment.

Who I do like to read are Thomas Sowell, Michael Barone, Mona Charen, Virginia Postrel (former editor of Reason) & on occasion Michelle Malkin though she can go where I'm not interested in going. Anything by the 1st 4 is worthy of one's time.

Can you help me out here Marv. Which is which?

I'm not sure what I've posted will be helpful but it is a subject that is hard to put into words. There probably is no perfect Conservative Republican, the closest has probably been Goldwater. & he had a libertarian streak which is admirable.

subroc
03-07-2009, 01:10 PM
...Then there is Limbaugh...To me he sounds more like a bitter, mean barroom blowhard that is impressed with the sound of his own voice more than with the sound of his thoughts...

:D chuckling :D

:D LOL:D

that voice reverberates in about 20,000,000 homes

:D chuckling :D

Rush Limbaugh, the boogie man of the left

Hey Sarge, should our elected officials enact legislation to force radio stations to give equal time to other political positions, on moral issues, philosophical issues and the like that differ from Rush?

zeus3925
03-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Nah! He's an entertainer isn't he--just like Michael Moore? I boycott Moore's movies and Limbaugh's sponsors. But, if you live in an an area deprived of diversion, who am I to cut off your jollies?

zeus3925
03-08-2009, 08:16 AM
There probably is no perfect Conservative Republican, the closest has probably been Goldwater. & he had a libertarian streak which is admirable.

It is interesting that the term Libertarian keeps cropping up often when they express exasperation with the traditional parties. Libertarianism sounds an awful lot like anarchy. In fact, its roots are from the extreme left. Is there an understanding of the philosophy among conservatives or is it a term just thrown in for effect?

subroc
03-08-2009, 08:38 AM
It is interesting that the term Libertarian keeps cropping up often when they express exasperation with the traditional parties. Libertarianism sounds an awful lot like anarchy. In fact, its roots are from the extreme left. Is there an understanding of the philosophy among conservatives or is it a term just thrown in for effect?

I expect it is the smaller goverment aspect of libertarianism that is appealing to many republicans.

Uncle Bill
03-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I expect it is the smaller goverment aspect of libertarianism that is appealing to many republicans.

That, along with their passivism. You'll find many among the consciencious objectors in our military. They can make a good arguement for not funding a military, or finding any reason for going to war; Alan Alda's Hawkeye character in MASH was a good example.

One of my favorite deep thinkers and entreprenuer, Bill Bonner is another excellent example. Reading his material is like following Ayn Rand's objectivism philosophy, and not buying into her atheism arguements.

One area I can buy into the libertarian view is with their belief the Bill of Rights was an oxymoranic addition to our Constitution.

It's always a crap-shoot to 'get-on-board' completely with many of those we have much in common with, Joe. Just about the time we think we have the perfect individual to espouse our views, they become a Newt-type, and you wonder what the hayel were they thinking???

And while I can pretty much agree with many of Marvin's views, his statements concerning Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter not having strong conservative basics, is absolute trash....and a perfect example of how the phrase "eating our own" is established. It's understandable that an egoist has a hard time dealing with another equally strong minded and opinionated point of view.

UB

Marvin S
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
These people are entertainers, the mention of his name probably drives Limbaugh into ecstacy, but when he is not patting himself on the back he can be very informative & would have to be considered the best of the radio babblers. You have to admit he is stuck on himself. But he drives a large audience & moved McCain in the right direction during the campaign for POTUS. McCain went from unacceptable to somewhat so because of that move, John just wasn't comfortable with it. Mrs. McCain would have made a better POTUS than any of them.

Who I do like to read are Thomas Sowell, Michael Barone, Mona Charen, Virginia Postrel (former editor of Reason) & on occasion Michelle Malkin though she can go where I'm not interested in going. Anything by the 1st 4 is worthy of one's time.

And while I can pretty much agree with many of Marvin's views, his statements concerning Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter not having strong conservative basics, is absolute trash....and a perfect example of how the phrase "eating our own" is established. It's understandable that an egoist has a hard time dealing with another equally strong minded and opinionated point of view.

UB

UB - not interested in a urinating match with yourself so would ask you to read the above quote - hilited for your benefit - & tell me where I did call RL anything other than conservative. There was a time, when there were not so many available sound bites that Rush's program was quite interesting with the subject matter being a general discussion of issues relative to the COTUS. Rush's historical knowledge is an interesting listen. But with all the material available today & the existing POTUS & his minions providing more hourly Rush is in a feeding frenzy. I do read the Limbaugh Letter & find it informative, just don't listen to his radio program that much.

As for Ann Coulter - I find her message abrasive. & I did read one of her books, not exactly a literary masterpiece. Any of the three ladies mentioned in my original post & quoted are a huge cut above her. If you at any time subscribed to Reason while Virginia Postrel was the editor you would know what I meant, she kept the content relevant. When Nick Gillespie assumed the position the quality went downhill fast. I do not think doing drugs is victimless, nor do I accept their premise of staying out of issues beyond our borders.

Delivery of a message is extremely important - You of all people should know that - changing stations is one key punch away. The majority of intelligent people in our society are naturally conservative, it is a better way of life. A poorly delivered message is more of a detriment than the failure to deliver any message, please remember that when listening to one of your favorites. Be capable of critiquing those who don't do their job.

Have a nice day - :)