PDA

View Full Version : The right and the left?

Chris Atkinson
03-08-2009, 07:23 AM
The other day I had to ask someone which was left and which was right. Was the extreme (pick your party) on the left or the right? I honestly couldn't remember.

Who decided the definitions of "left" versus "right" and why did they choose them? Am I the only one who wonders these things?

Honestly, I'm amazed you guys enjoy debating this stuff so much! But, I'm glad that this separate spot was made for it.

Just a few hours 'til the sun comes up and we'll be training some dogs!

Chris

badbullgator
03-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Dang Chris that is an easy one.....my side is right

You are sure up early, add in the time change and your up really early, get some coffee and get out and beat those pups

subroc
03-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Well Chris, on a similar note, who created the red state/blue state as a descriptive term for democrat/republican? Who decided which color got assigned to which party?

Obviously, in the vacuum of our nation and our red, white and blue flag, Stars and Stripes either color would be welcome. But, in the greater world view of 50 years of communism being identified as red and our nation’s enemy, being identified as red would have been most apt being given to the party that most embraces those communist ideals, democrats, it just would have been more fitting. I consider it the ultimate joke played on the republicans by the left and main stream media (MSM).

I like these debates as well and it was a good idea to have a separate area for them.

DSO
03-08-2009, 10:23 AM
The other day I had to ask someone which was left and which was right. Was the extreme (pick your party) on the left or the right? I honestly couldn't remember.

Who decided the definitions of "left" versus "right" and why did they choose them? Am I the only one who wonders these things?

Honestly, I'm amazed you guys enjoy debating this stuff so much! But, I'm glad that this separate spot was made for it.

Just a few hours 'til the sun comes up and we'll be training some dogs!

Chris

If your asking how the terms "Left" referring to Dems / Libs and "Right" referring to Reps/ Cons were assigned, I believe it has to do with which side of the isle they sit on when congress is in session. Not sure if that is what your asking though.

Danny

Patrick Johndrow
03-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Left or right depends on where you are located politically. It is actually ok to be to the right on some issues and left on other issues. I know people will find this hard to believe but I have friends how think I am a lefty :)

BrianW
03-08-2009, 03:24 PM
I know this isn't "the answer" but a number of years ago, I saw some graphic about "From freedom to tyranny" or something along those lines.

It was a circle divided clockwise into sections that described the evolution/steps of a country's freedom(s) & reliance on God on the right to totalitarianism/tyranny on the left.

As many who describe themselves as being on "the left" often deny existence of a higher power and try mightily to remove ANY reference to God from the public eye, maybe there's something to that concept?

Steve
03-08-2009, 06:57 PM
A better represenation can be found after taking this quick quiz. Per this, I am 100% Libertarian.

http://www.theadvocates.org/quizp/index.html

zeus3925
03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
If your asking how the terms "Left" referring to Dems / Libs and "Right" referring to Reps/ Cons were assigned, I believe it has to do with which side of the isle they sit on when congress is in session. Not sure if that is what your asking though.

Danny

The terms left and right in politics come from a practice in the seating of factions in the French parliament. Originally those people opposed to the monarchy and were for radical reform sat to the left of the presidents chair. The French still sort out seating according to political alignment with the more liberal factions on the left and the more conservative elements on the right.

K.Bullock
03-08-2009, 08:49 PM
A better represenation can be found after taking this quick quiz. Per this, I am 100% Libertarian.

Right (Conservative)

I like it, it called me a "right" conservative. Left must mean wrong:-P

YardleyLabs
03-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Right (Conservative)

I like it, it called me a "right" conservative. Left must mean wrong:-P

Big surprise. I'm a personal libertarian and an economic liberal.

Hoosier
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM

Looks like I'm a personal and economic Libertarian

K.Bullock
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Big surprise. I'm a personal libertarian and an economic liberal.
How did they come up with that? :p:D

Marvin S
03-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm at the upper corner of Conservative - 50% on personal, but 100% on economic - apparently my views on free speech & morals don't fit the social side of the conservative calendar. :)

road kill
03-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Here is a way to determine a right winger from a left winger;

Test=You have a choice.
Choice 1--a half day off work.
Choice 2--$1,000

Figure out which is which!!:D

Hoosier
03-09-2009, 03:22 PM
This is another good one to take. I don't know how accurate it is, but I ranked borderline.

http://electricpulp.com/guykawasaki/arse/

road kill
03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
This is another good one to take. I don't know how accurate it is, but I ranked borderline.

http://electricpulp.com/guykawasaki/arse/

The site directed me to get immediate help!!:rolleyes:

greg ye
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Left and Right: It has to do with what side of the brain you employ!

Hew
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM

100%?!? You might be an anarchist instead. :D

Just about everyone who takes that quiz comes out as some sort of libertarian. Fortunately for them, at the end of the quiz comes a link where you can learn more about libertarianism and about the libertarian organization who wrote, sponsor and administer the website with that political test.