PDA

View Full Version : Obami spending a billion an hour

Hoosier
03-12-2009, 07:31 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19884.html

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has come up with a vivid new way to express his contention that the nation is spending way too much money it doesn’t have.

McConnell includes the tweaks in his opening remarks on the Senate floor on the 51st day that President Obama has been in office.

“In just 50 days, Congress has voted to spend about $1.2 trillion between the Stimulus and the Omnibus,” McConnell says. “To put that in perspective, that’s about $24 billion a day, or about $1 billion an hour—most of it borrowed. There’s simply no question: government spending has spun out of control.”

The math: 50 days times 24 hours equals 1,200 hours. 1,200 times 1 billion equals 1.2 trillion (a thousand billions is a trillion).

Even as he proposes a huge increase in the reach of government, the president continued to try to show his concern about spending by making an announcement Wednesday about earmark reform.

M Remington
03-12-2009, 08:46 AM
"Me thinks he (McConnell) doth protest too much."

You don't mention Mitch's 36 earmarks totalling $51 billion. I read that $1.2 million are going to biking and hiking trails. He and that other fiscal conservative Inhoufe, while voting against the omnibus bill, loaded it up with ton of earmarks.

The Republicans could care less about fiscal conservativism. All they want to do is obstruct a Democratic president.

Hoosier
03-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Seems to me even the liberals would have a problem with a billion an hour. Don't that bother you at all Marx?

road kill
03-12-2009, 09:13 AM
The truly bothersome part of this is the total lack, no, denial of responsibility on paying this back.

Doesn't anyone realize that this "note" will come due?

BIG DOG
03-12-2009, 09:19 AM
anybody that puts obama in a monk suit as somekind of saint/ savior is a complete dumb ass

Pete
03-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Me thinks he (McConnell) doth protest too much."

You don't mention Mitch's 36 earmarks totalling $51 billion. I read that $1.2 million are going to biking and hiking trails. He and that other fiscal conservative Inhoufe, while voting against the omnibus bill, loaded it up with ton of earmarks.

The Republicans could care less about fiscal conservativism. All they want to do is obstruct a Democratic president.

In the end, that's what this election is about. Do we participate in a politics of cynicism or a politics of hope?

Is it now obvious that both sides are hippocrits
I remember before Nov 4th the bush administration was talking massive bail outs. Now that a new party is in they act like its the Libs idea.
Most politicians on both sides are mentally ill. They have the same problem as OJ simpson. Only there is a paper trail.
Don't you think there is something pathalogical about this whole mess?

Pete

Patrick Johndrow
03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
We (tax paying citizens) need to wrangle all our politicians back inside the fences…they have been spending like drunken sailors for years and it has to stop. Just because it is your pet project doesn’t make it right.

WE need to figure out how we make the sumbitches accountable.

Pete
03-12-2009, 09:58 AM
We (tax paying citizens) need to wrangle all our politicians back inside the fences…they have been spending like drunken sailors for years and it has to stop. Just because it is your pet project doesn’t make it right.

WE need to figure out how we make the sumbitches accountable.

I know how ,it just wouldn't fly anymore.
If we could go back 140 years or so to apply some of lifes basic principles we can have her cleaned up in a week.

Pete

Hoosier
03-12-2009, 10:16 AM
I think both parties are driving us off the some cliff. It seems when it became apparent Obami was going to win Bush started setting him up to do this. Bush started the bailouts and now Obami is running with it, like it was orchestrated.
I don't trust any of em, and especially don't like any talk of a "Global New Deal"

Patrick Johndrow
03-12-2009, 10:21 AM
I know how ,it just wouldn't fly anymore.
If we could go back 140 years or so to apply some of lifes basic principles we can have her cleaned up in a week.

Pete

Hell if you have a plan let's run it up the flagpole brother.

Pete
03-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Patrick
My family still needs me.:D

Take no prisnors regards

Pete

sinner
03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Blah BLAH..............BLAH!
Why not worry about something that you can do something about!

How about you find something in the our governments plans that you do like and work your ass off to make it happen.

Do something good for one American, volunteer spend some money to help the economy.

All your nervous tight butted wall streeters quit bitching and make something good happen!

Dogbonez

Marvin S
03-12-2009, 02:41 PM

How about you find something in the our governments plans that you do like and work your ass off to make it happen.

Do something good for one American, volunteer spend some money to help the economy.

All your nervous tight butted wall streeters quit bitching and make something good happen!

Dogbonez

You did read "RTF USER TERMS" over on the regular forum, did you not?

You are apparently not very proud of yourself that you hide behind not 1 but 2 pseudonyms.

Don't think for one minute many of us are not active in our communities doing things for people & not having to feel we are superior to those that we are trying to help. Interestingly, most of us have done it all our lives. & I'm sure you are barely mature enough to feel your sophomoric attitude is the only one that is legitimate.

BTW - have you ever helped a senior that was too proud to be in your little government program?

JDogger
03-12-2009, 07:08 PM

You are apparently not very proud of yourself that you hide behind not 1 but 2 pseudonyms.

Don't think for one minute many of us are not active in our communities doing things for people & not having to feel we are superior to those that we are trying to help. Interestingly, most of us have done it all our lives. & I'm sure you are barely mature enough to feel your sophomoric attitude is the only one that is legitimate.

BTW - have you ever helped a senior that was too proud to be in your little government program?

Who cares if someone doesn't use their name here? It only took me a couple of minutes using the available info and a brief search to find out who Sinner is. His background looked credible to me.
The question is, who are you? And yes, I've read your personal statement on your site.

While I don't play FT, doesn't mean I don't follow it.

You don't have to be a chicken to know what an egg is.;)

JD

Terry Britton
04-04-2009, 12:48 PM

Dogbonez

YOu do have point here. There are tons of opportunities thanks to the federal Value Engineering laws. You find somewhere where there is a ton of waste, and write up a proposal to change it for something that gives the same final product and value for the people, and you get to split the savings 50-50 with Federal Government.

So, say our government is planning on giving 100 billion to company XYZ that will go under no matter what. You write up the proposal to not give the 100 billion away, and show the benefits of that. Then when the proposal gets accepted, you get 50 billion while the govt gets to keep the other 50 billion.

I do believe these laws were meant to be utilized to save $$$ on actual projects, but in todays world, there are many other places these laws can be utilized.

Here is one of the many versions that each department has: http://www.usbr.gov/pmts/valuprog/law.html

Terry Britton
04-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Very well put.