PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone live where their local gov is trying not to spend?

Ken Newcomb
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I am curious if anyone lives somewhere where the local government is actually trying to not spend so much money?

Even here in my little town they can't stop talking about wanting to build a water park (Lord help us), a new city office building, and addition to schools (when enrollment is declining). Do any of them realize that all of this falls on the backs of tax payers that are already hurting.

My town submitted a proposal for the stimulus package to build a waterpark that the voters have voted against three times. They were declined. However they have now tried new tactics to flip the voters the bird and build anyway.

Please tell me somewhere someone is cutting back.

T. Mac
03-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Our town leaders just voted to give an out of area developer $5M to build a new bar downtown that features large water tanks where mermaids can frolic as the revelers drink their beer. Does this count?

Oh and they are now trying to disband the tent city that was featured on Oprah's show last week.

T. Mac

Mike Noel
03-12-2009, 02:51 PM
I am curious if anyone lives somewhere where the local government is actually trying to not spend so much money?

Even here in my little town they can't stop talking about wanting to build a water park (Lord help us), a new city office building, and addition to schools (when enrollment is declining). Do any of them realize that all of this falls on the backs of tax payers that are already hurting.

My town submitted a proposal for the stimulus package to build a waterpark that the voters have voted against three times. They were declined. However they have now tried new tactics to flip the voters the bird and build anyway.

Please tell me somewhere someone is cutting back.

How many months out of the year will that water park sit idle up in your neck of the woods?

TN_LAB
03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
They cancelled a couple annual festivals in the area (fireworks, concert, etc.).

They're reviewing the use of government issued vehicles.

badbullgator
03-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Ours is actually trying, maybe not actually doing it but trying. Of course we are going to build a new many million dollar spring trainng facility for the Red Socks and I am not sure why, but they are throwing a big fit about several of our leaders spending a grand total of 4k to go to DC. They don;t complain about spending millions on a ballpark, but 4 grand for people to go to an important conference they throw a fit about

road kill
03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I live in Milwaukee WI.
Sort of....just outside.
But Milwaukee County has a Supervisor named Scott Walker.
He is doing one hell of a job cutting back and holding the line on spending.

Remember the name and watch for this guy to be WI next Governer.

Ken Newcomb
03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Here pools are open about 2.5 months. So the park would be closed about 9.5 months. It is something the snob crowd wants and are insisting on. The funny, I guess, part is that these are the same people living in homes they can't afford.

Marvin S
03-12-2009, 06:13 PM
We actually have a City Administrator whose last town went bankrupt roughly a year after he left. Needless to say, this city is a little harder to bankrupt as they own the water, sewer, NG & the cemetery.

They also do ordinances where they mix the money to create a slush fund. & everyone gets a nice raise on staff to build brand loyalty. We elected a new mayor after the old one had used the city to build his housing development. Guess what, other than being more personable, nothing changed.

Built a Skate Board Park - $1.2 Mil, much of which was stolen from the other funds with more realistic needs. As I've found, if government gives you what you need, what's the use of having them around & vice versa, who knows enough about government to recognize someone does a good job.

We had a City Councilman resign last week, I'm going to stick my hat in the ring - the last time there was a vacancy they appointed the weakest candidate. If that happens again I won't get the appointment. But I'm still gonna try.

sinner
03-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Try El Paso County CO.
County government has cut the dept of health budget: we no longer have resturant inspection more than ever 18-24 months, STD is no longer going to be monitored. We now pay for a storm water enterprise to manage our run off water, we are adding a tax to cover street lights in areas that the developers have not provided. Fire & police are being cut.
Our infrastructure is in disrepair. Take a look at Colorado's TABOR Law. We gave tax breaks to such groups as Focus on the Family and they now spend thousands to lobby the government. Ain't life grand.

Hoosier
03-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Try El Paso County CO.
County government has cut the dept of health budget: we no longer have resturant inspection more than ever 18-24 months, STD is no longer going to be monitored. We now pay for a storm water enterprise to manage our run off water, we are adding a tax to cover street lights in areas that the developers have not provided. Fire & police are being cut.
Our infrastructure is in disrepair. Take a look at Colorado's TABOR Law. We gave tax breaks to such groups as Focus on the Family and they now spend thousands to lobby the government. Ain't life grand.

Sounds like you need to pay more local taxes.

subroc
03-13-2009, 06:13 AM
As I was driving home from work last night there was a news blurb on about state budgets shortfalls and how they needed to be "more creative" in revenue generation. Delaware, it appears, wants to legalize sports gambling and Massachusetts appears to be planning a big gas tax hike. Nowhere in the new blurb was the option of cutting any service or any spending considered or mentioned.

Julie R.
03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
The county I live in is rural and for a long time was very conservative. Property taxes, especially on farmland, were low and county services were adequate, but certainly not lavish. Schools were decent, because they weren't as big as our rapidly growing neighboring counties to the north and so far, we don't have any ghettos or project housing here. But alas we're too close to D.C. (50 miles away) and a steady stream of 'come heres' have been moving out this way to McMansionize the farmland, impose their liberal ideas on the 'from heres' so now we have all kinds of goodies such as much higher taxes on farmland, forcing farmers to have to sell to developers; a water park and skateboard park that mostly sit idle but gobble money; a new school being built that isn't needed because projected growth came to a screeching halt two years ago. The taxes on my crummy little 30 acre farm went from $3500 a year to $12,000 a year. I might add that my land does not send any children to public school, it's not serviced by sewer and water, it doesn't use county health services, call 911 or the cops in short it costs the county nothing. People move here for the history and beauty of the undeveloped areas, but they want us to pay to educate and entertain their kids? I think if you need malls and soccer fields and skateboard parks, you need to stay where they are, not demand them where you move! Meanwhile there are all kinds of newly enacted onerous dog breeding and animal licensing regulations, new requirements for livestock, etc. put in place by our newly elected libtard legislators (heaven help you if you move to the country and smell manure!) because surely those city people and 'come heres' know more about farming and animal husbandry than the from-heres.

Goose
03-13-2009, 09:15 AM
A politician with your money is like a drug addict with a crack pipe.

I love all the earmarks. John 'Effing' Kerry's earmark to get the Edward M Kennedy Institute for the Senate building off the ground is one of my favs.

Maybe they'll build it on Chappaquiddick Island!

dixidawg
03-13-2009, 09:17 AM
As I was driving home from work last night there was a news blurb on about state budgets shortfalls and how they needed to be "more creative" in revenue generation. Delaware, it appears, wants to legalize sports gambling and Massachusetts appears to be planning a big gas tax hike. Nowhere in the new blurb was the option of cutting any service or any spending considered or mentioned.

Mass is facing a huge "budget shortfall" and is considering:

Gas tax hikes
Toll hikes
Sales tax hikes
Income tak hikes
Fee hikes
(or most likely all of the above)

Yesterday:

Our governor appointed a long time political supporter to a $175,000/year position that had been vacant for 12 years.

The outgoing Speaker of the House, who had to resign due to some "improprieties" gave all his staff huge raises as one of his last acts before resigning.

Ya just can't make this up. The unmitigated gall of these phonies is absolutely breathtaking!

TCFarmer
03-13-2009, 11:07 AM
A politician with your money is like a drug addict with a crack pipe.

I love all the earmarks. John 'Effing' Kerry's earmark to get the Edward M Kennedy Institute for the Senate building off the ground is one of my favs.

Maybe they'll build it on Chappaquiddick Island!

Goose

You should apologize to all the addicts out there right now!