PDA

View Full Version : Superstar!!!!!!

badbullgator
03-20-2009, 07:25 AM
'Stunned' is the word," Obama replied in a taped appearance on "Tonight." He said he found it hard to fathom how anyone would accept lavish payments in those circumstances. "People just had this sense of entitlement. We must be the best and the brightest."

The taste of vomit will not leave my mouth. He can’t fathom how… he was stunned…he is full of crap and trying to be a movie star. Campaigning to keep his popularity up. Who cares what he does wrong as long as he is a star. Did anybody see the interviews with people trying to get In to the show? You would think Madonna or the Beatles were coming. “oh he is such a great man, I will be able to tell my children about seeing him” was the comment of one woman. WTF? Really?
Note the statement above, nowhere does he say anything illegal was done in giving or accepting a bonus, just that it is moral outrage. The congress drafted a bill to tax the people, the people not the company, who got the bonuses. Sorry guys but how many of us would turn down a pay raise or bonus in these times? Why are they going after the PEOPLE who got them? Why would they even go after the company if what they did was legal? I am outraged that AIG gave the bonuses, but if what they did was legal then not much can be done about it. Now congress wants to tax those who got them and passed this in anger and in very short time. The short time passing is one of the big things that worries me because that is why these occurred in the first place. If they had taken more time to evaluate the bailout package in the first place this could have been avoided, but instead they chose to rush it through and look how it turned out.
Boy I hope they don’t decide I make too much money. I would hate to see them pass a new law to take mine away. Hummm maybe I can convince my boss to pay me in chickens or something that will be more work for them to take away

BTW- what do you think Obummer’s visit to the Tonight Show cost us? Did anyone see what Ms.Obummer hosted yesterday? Tell me they are not wanting the spotlight and celebrity more than anything…….

cotts135
03-20-2009, 08:09 AM
'Note the statement above, nowhere does he say anything illegal was done in giving or accepting a bonus, just that it is moral outrage. The congress drafted a bill to tax the people, the people not the company, who got the bonuses. Sorry guys but how many of us would turn down a pay raise or bonus in these times? Why are they going after the PEOPLE who got them? Why would they even go after the company if what they did was legal? I am outraged that AIG gave the bonuses, but if what they did was legal then not much can be done about it. Now congress wants to tax those who got them and passed this in anger and in very short time. The short time passing is one of the big things that worries me because that is why these occurred in the first place. If they had taken more time to evaluate the bailout package in the first place this could have been avoided, but instead they chose to rush it through and look how it turned out.
[/FONT]

The problem with this whole thing is that what AIG leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of most Americans. Granted what they did was not illegal however it certainly isn't something a company should do while they are the dole to the American taxpayer. There is something fundamentally wrong with rewarding the very people who put you into bankruptcy. It is the smugness and arrogance of these Wall St. company's that are pissing people off.

Basically this is now a publicly held company with the tax payers as shareholders. They have shown that they are not happy with how things are and now Congress is forced to act. The dog and pony show they put on the other day questioning the CEO of Aig was laughable. How in the hell do you feign outrage and indignation ,about all of this, when what your screaming about was already known by a part of the government that was deeply involved in trying to fix it. Pathetic.

What is just as pathetic is Congresses attempt to fix it all by taxing the individuals who received these bonuses at a rate of 90%. Who are the kidding with this? This bill will go nowhere because of it's unconstitutionality

badbullgator
03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
The problem with this whole thing is that what AIG leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of most Americans. Granted what they did was not illegal however it certainly isn't something a company should do while they are the dole to the American taxpayer. There is something fundamentally wrong with rewarding the very people who put you into bankruptcy. It is the smugness and arrogance of these Wall St. company's that are pissing people off.

Basically this is now a publicly held company with the tax payers as shareholders. They have shown that they are not happy with how things are and now Congress is forced to act. The dog and pony show they put on the other day questioning the CEO of Aig was laughable. How in the hell do you feign outrage and indignation ,about all of this, when what your screaming about was already known by a part of the government that was deeply involved in trying to fix it. Pathetic.

What is just as pathetic is Congresses attempt to fix it all by taxing the individuals who received these bonuses at a rate of 90%. Who are the kidding with this? This bill will go nowhere because of it's unconstitutionality

We agree and pissing people off is not a good enough reason to hastely pass a bill to take away form the PEOPLE who recieved the money. Hey if we don't give anymore money to AIG becasue they have proven they abuse it that is one thing, changing or making new laws is another

Patrick Johndrow
03-20-2009, 08:31 AM
The problem is the gooberment should have never handed out OUR money to a failing company...LET THEM FAIL!!!

It will not be the end of the world...someone will come in and pick up the pieces and make those pieces work.

Goose
03-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Was Dear Leader reading from his teleprompter on Leno's show last night when he made the comment about his poor bowling skills being "like the Special Olympics or something". Nice job Mr. President.

Sabireley
03-20-2009, 08:35 AM
We agree and pissing people off is not a good enough reason to hastely pass a bill to take away form the PEOPLE who recieved the money. Hey if we don't give anymore money to AIG becasue they have proven they abuse it that is one thing, changing or making new laws is another

The bill will die because it targets individuals and is enacted ex post facto. Both are unconstitutional. They are on the right track, though. Hopefully when the Senate gets their shot at the bill, they will create a more fair tax structure for all bonuses with a threshold that results in the 90% (or more) tax. Just think how much money the government could raise! It is really the patriotic duty of those getting large bonuses to give most of it to the goverment so they can help those more deserving ie; working Americans. These are exciting times...

From those according to their ability, to those according to their need regards.

SB

kb27_99
03-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Was Dear Leader reading from his teleprompter on Leno's show last night when he made the comment about his poor bowling skills being "like the Special Olympics or something". Nice job Mr. President.

I agree, his true colors do show from time to time when he isnt being someones puppet.

Kevin

Matt McKenzie
03-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Cotts,
I'm marking my calendar. We agree!
Matt

Marvin S
03-20-2009, 09:24 AM
The problem is the gooberment should have never handed out OUR money to a failing company...LET THEM FAIL!!!

It will not be the end of the world...someone will come in and pick up the pieces and make those pieces work.

What should have happened - AIG should have been allowed to go under - money should have been made available to buyers for the assets of AIG to be auctioned for their true value - much cleaner & less hysterics. No money to AIG, NO lavish party in Vegas, No bonus, No theatrical opportunities for the loony's in DC. :)

badbullgator
03-20-2009, 09:30 AM
What should have happened - AIG should have been allowed to go under - money should have been made available to buyers for the assets of AIG to be auctioned for their true value - much cleaner & less hysterics. No money to AIG, NO lavish party in Vegas, No bonus, No theatrical opportunities for the loony's in DC. :)

That has always been my opinion

txbadger
03-20-2009, 10:06 AM
How about the FNM,FRE bonuses or the bonuse given to CEO at C negotiated by none other than Timmy??

Have YOU contacted your "reps" and told them what you fell?? If not do so....

badbullgator
03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
How about the FNM,FRE bonuses or the bonuse given to CEO at C negotiated by none other than Timmy??

Have YOU contacted your "reps" and told them what you fell?? If not do so....

Sorry, but I am not up to date on what/who FNM FRE or C is http://floridasportsman.com/art/scratch.gif (http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/post?cmd=reply&id=10464897#)

Bob Gutermuth
03-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Where does he get off dissing Special Olympics and thereby the disabled people who are helped by those events? That is at least heartless if not just plain stupid.

Marvin S
03-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Sorry, but I am not up to date on what/who FNM FRE or C is http://floridasportsman.com/art/scratch.gif (http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/post?cmd=reply&id=10464897#)

Symbols on NYSE - FNM = Fannie Mae, FRE = Freddie Mac - both GSE's & C = Citigroup

badbullgator
03-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Where does he get off dissing Special Olympics and thereby the disabled people who are helped by those events? That is at least heartless if not just plain stupid.

Well at least he didn't call em retards or something ......I guess

Thomas D
03-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I saw him on Leno tonight also.

He freely admits that what AIG did was legal, but of course blames Bush for having those laws in place to begin with. Certainly, our government should have know that a year end bonus was a fact of life at AIG.
I think it is all just posturing on both parts. Government knew this was coming, AIG knew it had to contractually pay the bonus (or pay 3 times the bonus if not paid in so many days). AIG did what they had to do and is now letting the feds sort it all out.

You notice Obama did not ever say the current administration was even partially at fault.

Of course the American people are now looking to him to do something about it. I think he is worried that he can't. Thus his public appearances.

Goose
03-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I heard this morning that there was a Special Olympian that actually bowled a perfect game.

Dear Leader's score was 123.

BrianW
03-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Would the bonuses been issued, from AIG's own funds, if they had not gotten a bailout? Most likely not, because earnings & performance did not warrant it.
So the bailout should not have been counted as earnings to justify them.
But, since Geitner, Dodd and the rest of the clowns rigged the deal, it became legal, if maybe not lawful. So be it.

The concept of this turning over the names to the New York AG & Congress along with proposed punitive tax should scare the crap out of all Americans.
"The rich" are becoming the scapegoats of this economic holocaust as "the Jews" were in Germany's. If the Constitution can be suspended for them, it can be for any group that the state determines as "enemies" in the future. Gun owners, anti-abortion churches/religious groups, car drivers etc.

Don't forget that the rest of the world considers ALL Americans "rich".
Are you willing to get taxed at a 90% rate or 1000% as that one Rep. Carolyn McCarthy was screaming about?

K G
03-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Well at least he didn't call em retards or something ......I guess

I heard this morning that there was a Special Olympian that actually bowled a perfect game.

Dear Leader's score was 123.

That he called the national director of the Special Olympics and apologized was a classy move, IMHO. Who among us has not buried a foot in our mouth up to the knee.....:cool:

BTW, Corey....I saw John McGinley ("Scrubs") on Fox Sports "Best D@mn Sports Show" this week promoting 3.31.09 as THE END for the word "retard." I hope we'll all join in and support this effort.

kg

BonMallari
03-20-2009, 04:17 PM
the bailout of AIG came about because lobbyist$ and financier$ called their marker$ in and the politician$ did exactly what they are paid to do, they vote in the direction of those paying the freight, unfortunately the American public does not have a lobbyist the only recourse we have is the power of the vote or the recall...if we keep voting the same incumbent idiots time after time this is what we get, it also set us up and made us very vulnerable for a slick talking politician promising change

Captain Mike D
03-20-2009, 04:31 PM

I figure that by now AIG execs probably wish the company had gone under and were sold off too.

Gonna be real interesting how the 80% ownership by the government, in its present state of frenzy, will be able to entice the brightest minds to be employed by AIG. That is what will be needed to pull AIG back into a profitable company so the US taxpayer is repayed and can turn around and repay the note on the money borrowed from the Chinese.

Somehow I don't think the hiring of the same level of folks you would find at the local Social Security Office or DMV is gonna do it. :)

BonMallari
03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
the Govt (and technically us) may own AIG but there is no oversight of the company, is there anyone appointed to sit on the board of directors...no..do they answer to anyone..no only after the fact, the politicians grandstand and march the execs in front of a hearing and they talk tough and brow beat them but it all political theatre..the dirty deeds have already been done...AIG should have been allowed to fail, they were on path to do so before the bailout..what happens if they fail now, then they just threw away our tax dollars down a rat hole

Steve
03-20-2009, 05:54 PM

You make a lot of sense on this forum.

The minority of us who are outraged by this nonsense perpetuated by our congress are outnumbered by those licking their chops for a chance to vote for Barry O' on American Idol.

Cody Covey
03-20-2009, 06:25 PM
These contracts came about as a result of the new CEO the government put in place from what I've read. Seems all to convenient doesn't it

YardleyLabs
03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
These contracts came about as a result of the new CEO the government put in place from what I've read. Seems all to convenient doesn't it
I believe you'll find the contracts were written before the new CEO was hired (for the huge salary of $1/year). The current CEO said they were unjustified when he came in but they had already been signed and he believed the negative effects of abrogating them would outweigh the benefits.

Cody Covey
03-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Okay you may be right but i read an article this morning where the old CEO said he would never have allowed these contracts to happen and when he was the CEO the only bonuses given out were performance based.

Cody Covey
03-20-2009, 07:21 PM
[B]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/20/earlyshow/main4878528.shtml heres a article....who to believe

YardleyLabs
03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
[b]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/20/earlyshow/main4878528.shtml heres a article....who to believe
You're missing the fact that Greenberg hasn't been CEO since 2005. He was canned over three years ago.

Cody Covey
03-20-2009, 07:59 PM
touche reading comprehension is fun!

cotts135
03-21-2009, 07:46 AM
the Govt (and technically us) may own AIG but there is no oversight of the company, is there anyone appointed to sit on the board of directors...no..do they answer to anyone..no only after the fact, the politicians grandstand and march the execs in front of a hearing and they talk tough and brow beat them but it all political theatre..the dirty deeds have already been done...AIG should have been allowed to fail, they were on path to do so before the bailout..what happens if they fail now, then they just threw away our tax dollars down a rat hole
I believe in his testimony on Capital Hill Ceo Liddy mentioned that there are members from the Treasury Department that sit on the board and are their for oversight. FWIW