PDA

View Full Version : "Dumb America"...

Keith Farmer
03-29-2009, 09:03 PM
The book The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America is a must read for anyone who desires to fully understand how we came to the place we are now in terms of who is leading this country and the direction in which we are headed.

Here is a link to reviews of the book...some are very crystalizing:

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/pages/reactions.htm

Anyone who listens to Hannity interview common folk on the street (or Dave Letterman/Jay Leno/...anyone for that matter) can readily see/hear how effective the plan was/is/and will be.

A society that has no fear of God (no moral compass by which to navigate anything), rewards failure, punishes success, elevates twisted theologies in the name of science, murders its own infants by the millions, devalues families, glorifies abominations, and so-on......hardly stands a chance unless an radical change is made. Our educational system is just one more chink in the armor...a huge dent in fact.

badbullgator
03-30-2009, 09:57 AM
I am going to check it out. I also believe that we are pussyifying America as well. Kids today are a bunch of ..... Can't spank them, wear helmets when riding bikes and skateboards, play soccer instead of football..........

Franco
03-30-2009, 10:58 AM
What we need is Voter Reform.

One person, one vote is no longer good for a healthy & secure America!

Marvin S
03-30-2009, 11:56 AM
What we need is Voter Reform.

One person, one vote is no longer good for a healthy & secure America!

I suggested to a black guy one time in our local tavern that "one should be required to be a property owner before they could vote on issues that Increased taxes". :) After listening to his light on content dissertation for about an hour about how I was many things not complimentary, I was still not convinced. So I still believe property ownership & responsibility go hand in hand. :) He was a good guy, worked hard in the youth programs as a volunteer, or he wouldn't have gotten that much time. But on that point he was very dogmatic. It was an interesting listen!!!

Thomas D
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
If wearing helmets while skateboarding or biking will save one child (or adult) from a tramatic brain injury, I'm all for them.

brian breuer
03-30-2009, 12:34 PM
I am going to check it out. I also believe that we are pussyifying America as well. Kids today are a bunch of ..... Can't spank them, wear helmets when riding bikes and skateboards, play soccer instead of football..........

Freaking pussies in child seats, hold em in your lap, that was good enough for me.
What's the world coming to?

Most of the time you have pretty good comments. This wasn't one of them. Last time I checked there were no shortage of football players in this country, especially down in your neck of the woods.

Raymond Little
03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I suggested to a black guy one time in our local tavern that "one should be required to be a property owner before they could vote on issues that Increased taxes". :) After listening to his light on content dissertation for about an hour about how I was many things not complimentary, I was still not convinced. So I still believe property ownership & responsibility go hand in hand. :) He was a good guy, worked hard in the youth programs as a volunteer, or he wouldn't have gotten that much time. But on that point he was very dogmatic. It was an interesting listen!!!
I do believe we fought a war over taxation without representation, but it was a bunch of White Dudes so it is really not politically correct today Marvin.

Suckling Pig Regards

Mike Noel
03-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Freaking pussies in child seats, hold em in your lap, that was good enough for me.
What's the world coming to?

Most of the time you have pretty good comments. This wasn't one of them. Last time I checked there were no shortage of football players in this country, especially down in your neck of the woods.

He is right Corey, when it comes to the helmets it makes sense. My wife sees a bunch of kids in the trauma ICU that are messed up because they didnt wear a helmet.

BUT....you are spot on with your soccer comment. I am proud to say that not one of my boys has played 1 second of that game. People in my neighborhood know me as the anti-christ of soccer :-P:-P:-P

Keith Farmer
03-30-2009, 12:56 PM
To get back on-topic...

My children attend a classical Christian curriculum based school. Below is an exerpt from an article written by Dr. Hal Brunson. If you have time read the entire text at this link:

http://www.christianschooladmin.com/articles/Hal%20Brunson/article1.htm

Originally defined as three distinct academic disciplines- grammar, logic, and rhetoric- we have borrowed these elements of the ancient trivium to create an artificial but effective paradigm for systematic learning at appropriate developmental stages in our students' lives. Thus our Grammar School (grades 1-4) concentrates upon students' mastery of the "nuts and bolts" of learning, the elemental facts of math, science, language, art, music, and history. Our Logic School (grades 5-8) emphasizes clear and rational thinking within the various academic disciplines, epitomized by an actual course in Logic which we teach our eighth-graders. The consummation of our curriculum is our Rhetoric School (grades 9-12), which aims to refine our students' ability to listen and think clearly , and to speak and write eloquently from an informed perspective, whether in math, science, or the humanities.
Beyond these elemental and structural benefits of a classical education, classical learning also cultivates an appreciation of Western culture. In the last quarter of the twentieth century, ivory-towered leftists have launched an attack against Western culture, not only attempting to de-Westernize the literary canon, but even to undermine the political, religious, and moral foundations which have contributed to the rise and influence of Western culture and the Judeo-Christian ethic which undergirds it. By surveying the classics from the pre-Socratic era to modernity, our students get a sweeping view of Western history, and thus a clear understanding of how we came to be what we are. Such a panoramic vision of history is vital to our students' understanding of the future, especially in view of the political correctness, multi-culturalism, emerging globalism, and anti-Western biases of the "new world order."

Hew
03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
If wearing helmets while skateboarding or biking will save one child (or adult) from a tramatic brain injury, I'm all for them.
Where does that logic stop? A two hour mandatory ladder training course required before buying/using a ladder would save a lot more than one person from serious injury/death. Mandatory cholesterol monitoring would save way more than one person. Outlawing hunting would save lots of human lives from accidental death.

badbullgator
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM

Come on Tom,
7 concussions from bikes, football, and rugby and I am pretty good………
Far more brain dammage form partying as a youngin
Sissys I tell you. You cannot find a 12 year old that can hold downba 6 pack any more. And smokes....forget about it. In my day we would bite off the filter, use the cig for a straw and then eat what was left......
a bunch of little gilrs I tell you

what were we taking about agian

Thomas D
03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Where does that logic stop? A two hour mandatory ladder training course required before buying/using a ladder would save a lot more than one person from serious injury/death. Mandatory cholesterol monitoring would save way more than one person. Outlawing hunting would save lots of human lives from accidental death.

That has to be one of the dumbest comments I have seen on this forum.
Maybe when you have a family member suffer a brain injury due to failure to wear a helmet you will change your opinion. I hope you don't.

Hew
03-30-2009, 01:21 PM
That has to be one of the dumbest comments I have seen on this forum.
Maybe when you have a family member suffer a brain injury due to failure to wear a helmet you will change your opinion. I hope you don't.
Dumbest comments ever? Wow. That's saying something on this forum.

But your insult still doesn't answer my question. It wasn't rhetorical.

BTW, just so you don't think you have the market cornered on personal tragedy, I have lost a close loved one to a gun accident. I guess I should support outlawing guns?

brian breuer
03-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Come on Tom,
7 concussions from bikes, football, and rugby and I am pretty good………
Far more brain dammage form partying as a youngin
Sissys I tell you. You cannot find a 12 year old that can hold downba 6 pack any more. And smokes....forget about it. In my day we would bite off the filter, use the cig for a straw and then eat what was left......
a bunch of little gilrs I tell you

what were we taking about agian

Thanks, I needed a grin

sinner
03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Death is cost effective! Crippling for life is not!

YardleyLabs
03-30-2009, 01:44 PM
I tend to think that there are few slopes more slippery than the one that puts government in the business of telling everyone how to be safe. In some cases, I tend to think the benefits are clear. An example would be mandatory use of seat belts by drivers of vehicles. By wearing a seat belt a driver is better able to retain control of a vehicle following an initial collision and thereby more likely to be able to reduce additional damage to others. For passengers I have more problems since I tend to believe that each of us has the right to be stupid even at risk of our own life and disability.

With kids one has the argument of diminished responsibility to justify protective regulation. However, it is impossible to make the world truly safe for kids and it seems to me that we only start creating regulations and laws where there is a product that can be sold so that someone else can make money.

If you want to save more kids' lives than will ever be harmed by bicycle accidents, focus on a real danger like Mcdonalds. Make it illegal for any kid to buy fast food unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian! I'm being facetious, but there is no question that such a law would save more lives than having every kid wear a helmet 100% of the time while doing anything.

Growing up is inherently dangerous. As parents we are responsible for helping our kids learn to navigate those dangers. They don't learn if wrapped in a cocoon. Getting hurt along the way is part of the learning process and helps most kids become stronger and smarter. Some are hurt seriously in the process of growing up, and that is tragic. In the end, though, I think most of those things improve our kids' abilities to survive.

duckheads
03-30-2009, 01:47 PM
rugby! now we are talking. played for 22 years. talk about the pussification of america. the kids at our elemenatry school can't play dodgeball, tag, and now they can't even play kick ball because some idiot kid wasn't paying attention and got hit in the face with the ball. parents raised hell now all kids suffer. if that was one of my kids i would have told them to pay attention next time and you won't get hit in the face. and they wonder why the kids are over weight and obese. heck all you have to do is send in a note to saying my little tommy doesn't like to run and he gets out of having to actually exercise in gym class. it is becoming a total joke. we use to play smear the queer at recess and when the new school was built we continued to play on the pavement. got my first concussion playing red rover on the pavement.

badbullgator
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
You forgot bb gun tag

duckheads
03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
played that also until the police confiscated our bb guns! bastuurds i tell ya, bastuurds!

Steve Amrein
03-30-2009, 02:04 PM
This Nanny state crap has to end. It is a farce. Dont tell me they have any concern for any of this health stuff until the outlaw smoking. Pretty soon we will be wearing helmets in the shower and in the car. Maybe on Sat. nite might need a helmet to keep from multiple headboard impacts.

The motorcycle industry is still working on a ban of all ATV and motorcycle/minibikes because of lead issues. Evidently there is a high incidence of kids licking bike parts. Yet their are no bans of lead fishing weights that kids will put in their mouth to crimp the sinkers onto the line.

Matt McKenzie
03-30-2009, 02:07 PM
If you think there are some ridiculous safety regulations now, wait until we have nationalized health care!

badbullgator
03-30-2009, 02:10 PM
This Nanny state crap has to end. It is a farce. Dont tell me they have any concern for any of this health stuff until the outlaw smoking. Pretty soon we will be wearing helmets in the shower and in the car. Maybe on Sat. nite might need a helmet to keep from multiple headboard impacts.

The motorcycle industry is still working on a ban of all ATV and motorcycle/minibikes because of lead issues. Evidently there is a high incidence of kids licking bike parts. Yet their are no bans of lead fishing weights that kids will put in their mouth to crimp the sinkers onto the line.

Now you see there is another thing, grew up using our teeth to crimp down slip shot weights..... lead posining is over rated

BTW- don't give them any ideas..........

YardleyLabs
03-30-2009, 02:10 PM
You forgot bb gun tag
One of my favorites until my Dad confiscated my gun after I shot it straight up in the air and hit my Mom.;-)

badbullgator
03-30-2009, 02:14 PM
One of my favorites until my Dad confiscated my gun after I shot it straight up in the air and hit my Mom.;-)

Cool, I hit my mom in the head with a golf club when I was 4. Nobody told me you don't take a full swing on a putt putt course.....now if she had a hemlet on she would still be able to see out of that eye......

Hew
03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Ah yes, many hours of countless fun playing BB gun tag in the orange groves...wishing I had one of those 10 pump crossmans instead of the level action Red Ryder. Another fun/stupid game we played...take real darts and stand about 20 yards or so apart. Throw dart at the other kid (had to have an arc of at least above his head). You could do whatever you needed to do to dodge the dart except lift either of your feet. First person to make the other kid pick up a foot wins. Good times. Good times.

badbullgator
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Ah yes, many hours of countless fun playing BB gun tag in the orange groves...wishing I had one of those 10 pump crossmans instead of the level action Red Ryder. Another fun/stupid game we played...take real darts and stand about 20 yards or so apart. Throw dart at the other kid (had to have an arc of at least above his head). You could do whatever you needed to do to dodge the dart except lift either of your feet. First person to make the other kid pick up a foot wins. Good times. Good times.

Well what about lawn darts.... of course we loved mumbly peg (sic?) where you throw a knife near the other persons feet , trying to make them spread out so far they fall......

Keith Farmer
03-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Alright...I gues we are officially derailed so how about this...

We use to tie a piece of plywood via a 50 foot rope to the back of a motorcycle and after a good rain we would "sled" around the fields. Had to stop when we slung a kid in to a building and he broke something (on his body that is)...or maybe that was when he just ran into the building on his own...can't remember.

badbullgator
03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Alright...I gues we are officially derailed so how about this...

We use to tie a piece of plywood via a 50 foot rope to the back of a motorcycle and after a good rain we would "sled" around the fields. Had to stop when we slung a kid in to a building and he broke something (on his body that is)...or maybe that was when he just ran into the building on his own...can't remember.

Oh yeah....that is/was fun, we always used a cardboard box, never thought about plywood. Probably would have gotten less "road rash" with the plywood

badbullgator
03-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Back in the day Mosquito control would fog the neighborhoods. You could hear them coming for miles. Our parents use to encourage us to get out bikes and go chase the fog trucks. Nothing like hammering a bike (no helmet)as hard as you can and sucking up all that mosquito spray. To this day mosquitoes don’t bite me……

YardleyLabs
03-30-2009, 02:41 PM
One of our favorites was CO2 rockets. Set a CO2 cartridge on a grooved board. Place foot on cartridge to hold it lightly. Use nail and hammer to "light" it and watch that sucker fly. This was followed closely by cherry bomb mortars. Stick a pipe in the ground. Drop in lit cherry bomb and jam tennis ball in the end -- boom!

Mike Noel
03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Back in the day Mosquito control would fog the neighborhoods. You could hear them coming for miles. Our parents use to encourage us to get out bikes and go chase the fog trucks. Nothing like hammering a bike as hard as you can and sucking up all that mosquito spray. To this day mosquitoes don’t bite me……

Ha, my parents didnt have to tell me to do that, I was smart enough to do that on my own.....that reminds me, I gotta get to the doc and get this twitch checked out.

road kill
03-30-2009, 02:53 PM
rugby! now we are talking. played for 22 years. talk about the pussification of america. the kids at our elemenatry school can't play dodgeball, tag, and now they can't even play kick ball because some idiot kid wasn't paying attention and got hit in the face with the ball. parents raised hell now all kids suffer. if that was one of my kids i would have told them to pay attention next time and you won't get hit in the face. and they wonder why the kids are over weight and obese. heck all you have to do is send in a note to saying my little tommy doesn't like to run and he gets out of having to actually exercise in gym class. it is becoming a total joke. we use to play smear the queer at recess and when the new school was built we continued to play on the pavement. got my first concussion playing red rover on the pavement.

You know, one of the very special treats in life was listening to "the red ball" SPLAT against some smaller kids head!!
I don't know how to describe it!!

What a shame that none of the big kids ever get to feel that again!!:shock:

duckheads
03-30-2009, 04:00 PM
you guys are killing me! about the time i am trying to remember the name of something one of you guys nails it. first was the mumbly peg then the tennis ball cannon. i am cracking up remembering all the stupid stuff we did as kids! oh yea i was also a kidd wishing he had the crossman pump instead of the lever action crap. then one of the rich kids got a CO2 pistol and lit my butt up with about ten shots to the leg. at that point i went for the old fashion way of defending yourself, two fists a flyin'! LOL!

Steve Amrein
03-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Oh yeah....that is/was fun, we always used a cardboard box, never thought about plywood. Probably would have gotten less "road rash" with the plywood

A old car hood worked the best:D

Steve Amrein
03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
In I think 3rd grade while playing dodge ball in gym class the teacher threw a ball and broke my finger. Now it would be national news. My parents were not mad or anything no law suit no job loss or even a phone call. Those were the days the principal had a paddle hanging on the wall and would use it. Dont remember any shootings, rape, stabbings or car jacking either. We also ate the candied apples from the lady down the street for Halloween. My wife was saying that she used to have to ride in/on the rear window ledge in the car cause the car only sat 6 and they had 6 kids in the family and the baby rode in moms lap. How about the treat to ride in the back of a pick up or going to the dump on Sat. nite and shooting rats with a .22

brian breuer
03-30-2009, 04:17 PM
One of our favorites was CO2 rockets. Set a CO2 cartridge on a grooved board. Place foot on cartridge to hold it lightly. Use nail and hammer to "light" it and watch that sucker fly. This was followed closely by cherry bomb mortars. Stick a pipe in the ground. Drop in lit cherry bomb and jam tennis ball in the end -- boom!

I am still a big spud gun fan.

Also impressive was filling a garbage bag up with oxygen & acetelyn (sp) from a cutting torch, tape it to a long pole and send it over the campfire. Very loud but not much damage.

I work with a guy whose folks ran a fireworks stand. Even if only half of what he told was true, he is very lucky to have all his fingers and eyesight.

road kill
03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
In I think 3rd grade while playing dodge ball in gym class the teacher threw a ball and broke my finger. Now it would be national news. My parents were not mad or anything no law suit no job loss or even a phone call. Those were the days the principal had a paddle hanging on the wall and would use it. Dont remember any shootings, rape, stabbings or car jacking either. We also ate the candied apples from the lady down the street for Halloween. My wife was saying that she used to have to ride in/on the rear window ledge in the car cause the car only sat 6 and they had 6 kids in the family and the baby rode in moms lap. How about the treat to ride in the back of a pick up or going to the dump on Sat. nite and shooting rats with a .22

We still do that!!

Martin
03-30-2009, 04:54 PM
bb gun tag!!!!!!! It was all good til the dude got a pump crossman for Christmas. "You pumped it up More than three times!" "No I didn't" "Yes you did!" rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a quote, "YOu can't legistrate stupitidy!" Jessi Ventura.

Martin
03-30-2009, 05:01 PM
I just googled Cherry bombs! I ve heard my dad talking about them. Man there must be some old farts on here!!!!!!!

I had a science teacher shows us how to make a spud gun, on the down low, and we made one. Broke my neighbors window. fessed up, got beat, and paid for the window by raking leaves and anything she wanted!!!!

I needed a laugh today gentelmen, Thanks!

YardleyLabs
03-30-2009, 05:10 PM
I just googled Cherry bombs! I ve heard my dad talking about them. Man there must be some old farts on here!!!!!!!

I had a science teacher shows us how to make a spud gun, on the down low, and we made one. Broke my neighbors window. fessed up, got beat, and paid for the window by raking leaves and anything she wanted!!!!

Cherry bombs were the M-80's of the 1950's. They were illegal in my town but could be purchased in nearby Oliver Springs which we could reach by bicycle.

Uncle Bill
03-30-2009, 05:39 PM
After having your thread splattered with GDG, not sure it will get back to your beginning, Keith. But to proffer some additional info to what you have pointed to, here's something from across the pond that illustrates we aren't the only lunatics on the globe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1162384/EU-bans-use-Miss-Mrs-sportsmen-statesmen-claims-sexist.html?printingPage=true

I recall when the PC movement began. It was so ludicrous we just figured it was a silly fad. Then the Ebonics was added to the mix. Guess the jokes on us...any sane logical thinking person that thought this would go away like racoon coats and spats.

UB

road kill
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM

Yep, Cherry Bombs!!

I may know of a couple of them that got dropped in the school plumbing system!!:cool:

Old farts??

Just well seasoned.
I have found that no one truly respects age untill they get their own!!

If I may;

seasoned regards,

Matt McKenzie
03-30-2009, 06:13 PM
The plywood post reminded me of one year when we got snow (not very often in south GA). There was about 3 inches or so on the ground, so my dad tied a sheet of masonite to his work van with a long rope and dragged me and my sisters around the dirt roads until one of my sisters fell off and broke her tailbone.
Speaking of poor parental judgement, he also showed me how to build a gun with a threaded galvanized pipe nipple and cap, a marble and a firecracker. Just drill a hole through the cap for the fuse to go through and viola!

road kill
03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
After having your thread splattered with GDG, not sure it will get back to your beginning, Keith. But to proffer some additional info to what you have pointed to, here's something from across the pond that illustrates we aren't the only lunatics on the globe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1162384/EU-bans-use-Miss-Mrs-sportsmen-statesmen-claims-sexist.html?printingPage=true

I recall when the PC movement began. It was so ludicrous we just figured it was a silly fad. Then the Ebonics was added to the mix. Guess the jokes on us...any sane logical thinking person that thought this would go away like racoon coats and spats.

UB

With all due respect, someone starts a thread titled "Dumb America," it's a lock it will go on some odd directions!

Sense of humor needed regards,

Steve
03-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Pretty soon we will be wearing helmets in the shower and in the car.

Not gonna happen with cars. Soccer Moms won't tolerate messing up their hair. ;)

Did anyone else play the non-PC game of smear the queer. As I remember it, we'd play with around 5-6 people. One person would have the ball and everyone else went after him. I don't remember there being a point to the game beyond just takling people.

Uncle Bill
03-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Being about as 'humorous' as one can find on RTF, you certainly didn't think I was complaining about Keith's thread taking a dive did you??? Au Contraire...just stating a fact. I've been known to detour many a well-meaning thread into the oblivion of GDG, for after all, I was the one to acronym the good Doctor's gobbledygook observation. ;-)

UB

luvmylabs23139
03-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Not gonna happen with cars. Soccer Moms won't tolerate messing up their hair. ;)

Did anyone else play the non-PC game of smear the queer. As I remember it, we'd play with around 5-6 people. One person would have the ball and everyone else went after him. I don't remember there being a point to the game beyond just takling people.

Sounds like what we played reffered to as "Kill the Carrier".

Martin
03-30-2009, 07:14 PM
I have enjoyed this thread.

Great laughs!

Amazing how we made it through to adult hood!

Have a great evening Gents, well seasoned and all!

badbullgator
03-31-2009, 08:57 AM
. How about the treat to ride in the back of a pick up or going to the dump on Sat. nite and shooting rats with a .22

Man oh man, we use to live for the dump. Nothing better than getting in the back of the pick up and going our and shooting those rats (and seagulls). A trip to the dump may have actually saved my life. One Saturday we loaded up and went to the dump with my friends father. While we were gone a tornado came through our backyard and tore out a giant tree that he had a tree fort in. If we were home we probably would have been in the fort becasue he loved to stay out in it during rain storms (of course not so smart since our area is the lightining capital of the country).
The only thing better than going to the dump was when we would get a freeze down here. Since several of our parents worked in the citrus industry we would get out of school so we could stay out in the groves all night lighting smudge pots to keep the orange trees from freezing. Nothing like 12-13 year old kids running around all night with kerosene torches

Not sure how a lot of us are still here today........

Mike Noel
03-31-2009, 10:17 AM

Not only did we play it on our own we also played it under the sanctioning of the coaches/PE teachers during PE sometimes. It involved 15-30 kids at a time usually. It was also a lot harder to get away when confined in our PE gyms!:-P

JDogger
03-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Someone on a googlegroup I belong to posted this a few days ago. Thought I'd share

Around age 10 my dad got me one of those little badass compound bow beginner
kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in
anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955 40horse
Farmall tractor will take 6 rounds before it goes down? Tough sumbich.

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old Dukes of Hazzard fan that I was, I
quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up Tshirt doused in chainsaw gas
tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. Keep
in mind this was 99.999% humidity swampland so there really wasnt any fire
danger.. Ill put it this way- a set of post hole diggers and a 3ft. hole and
you had yourself a well.

One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak
stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and see a shiny brand
new can of starting fluid (ether). The light bulb went off. I grabbed the
can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out
in a dissapointing manner... lets face it to a 10 yr. old mouth-breather
like myself, ether really doesnt "sound" flammable. So, I went back into the
house and got a 1-pound can of pyrodex (black powder for muzzle loader
rifles).. At this point, I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up
the can of black powder. My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around
the ether can but it all sorta dumped out. No biggie... 1 lb pyrodex and 16
oz ether should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know?

You know what? Screw that. Im going back in the house for the other can.
Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too. Now we're cookin'. I
stepped back about 15ft and lit the 2-stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my
cheek and took aim. As I released I heard a 'clunk' as the arrow launched
from my bow.. In a slow motion time frame, I turned to see my dad getting
out of the truck... OH SHIT he just got home from work.

So help me God, it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the
can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a WTF look in his
eyes. I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce
the starting fluid can right at the bottom. Right through the main pile of
pyrodex and into the can. Oh. Shit.

When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I dont know if it was the
actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from 235
decibels of sound. I caught a half a milisecond glimpse of the violence
during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was dust, grass, and
bugs all hovering 1ft above the ground as far as i could see. It was like a
little low-to-the-ground layer of dust fog full of grasshoppers, spiders,
and a crawfish or two. The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this... THE
DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE.

There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice
i said "was". That mother got up and ran off. So here I am, on the ground
blown completely out of my shoes with my thundercats Tshirt shredded, my dad
is on the other side of the carport having what i can only assume is a Viet
Nam flashback, 'ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE, YOUR BRINGIN' EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE
FIRE DAMIT CEASE FIRE!!!!!' His hat has blown off and is 30 ft. behind him
in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out
and there is a slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000 ft over our backyard.
There is a Honda 185s 3-wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the
fenders are drooped down and are now touching the tires. I wish i knew what
I said to my dad at this moment. I dont know- I know I said something. I
couldnt hear. I couldnt hear inside my own head. I dont think he heard me
either.... not that it would really matter. I dont remember much from this
point on.. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I
felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke later.... repeat this process for an
hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point my mom had to give
me CPR so dad could beat me some more. Bring him back to life so dad can
kill him again. Thanks mom.
One thing is for sure... I never had to mow around that stump again. Mom had
been bitching about that thing for years and dad never did anything about
it. I stepped up to the plate and handled business. Dad sold his muzzloaders
a week or so later. And I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality,
either from the blast or the beating. Or both. I guess what im trying to say
is, get your kids into archery. Its good discipline and will teach them
skills they can use later on in life.

Terry Britton
03-31-2009, 09:15 PM
I call BS on the last one with the blackpowder.

We used to pour gunpowder on ant dens, and use firecrackers and their fuses to light the gunpowder. It would just fizzle up. It won't blow up without some kind of containment to allow the pressure to build up.

YardleyLabs
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM

We used to pour gunpowder on ant dens, and use firecrackers and their fuses to light the gunpowder. It would just fizzle up. It won't blow up without some kind of containment to allow the pressure to build up.

I agree on the black powder. Ether would certainly blow up with very little encouragement. However, I'm not sure why anyone would have a can of ether around. Scary stuff. When we would find old cans in hospitals we had to call the bomb squad to remove them.

Terry Britton
03-31-2009, 09:37 PM
I agree on the black powder. Ether would certainly blow up with very little encouragement. However, I'm not sure why anyone would have a can of ether around. Scary stuff. When we would find old cans in hospitals we had to call the bomb squad to remove them.

That is how you buy powder for the old fashioned black powder guns or for reloading. The powder comes in 1 lb cans, and easily lasts 20 plus years. It doesn't take long to reload 1lb worth of powder in shotshells either. Paper sitting around a table with a lit candle is more dangerous than a can of powder stored away in a location away from heat.

JDogger
03-31-2009, 11:59 PM
Ether= starting fluid.
I have a couple cans around, never shot 'em with a flaming arrow though.

I learned long ago that fresh gas, a new spark plug, and a clean air filter would make almost any 2-cycle engine fire. Be it lawn mower, weed-eater, or chain saw.

Anyway boys, it was just a story I cut and pasted for a laugh. It isn't true you know.

Engineers....always so....;)

JD

and believe me it doesn't take long to go through a 1lb. can of 1f black powder shooting a 1" bore cannon for noise and effect!

sinner
04-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Let's see seat belt laws: check this out.http://sz0054.ev.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/what_lucky_looks_like.pps?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=47480&part=2.2
If you are over 50 years of age you might want to look in to fall prevention education.
Aw, I am just wasting my and your time. I will just make money treating you after you fall. Remember death is cost effective!

gsc
04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I remember in Jr. High we used to have dirt ball fights. Yes, some of them had rocks in them.:D:D:D It was all fun and games until one got thrown through the school door and nailed a kid in the head. Trip to the Principal's office.

They also one time got an old broken down car. It still had windows and all. Gave us sledge hammers and axes and told us to have fun. We spend a lot of pent up energy on that car.

We would take the spent CO2 cartridges, pop off the cap and stuff them with match heads. Use the angle iron pointed over the roof and light them off! Boy would they fly. They were also reusable if you could find them.

Jay Dufour
04-06-2009, 02:53 PM
We mental giants found a 2" pipe with a cap on one end....Drop a cherry bomb in then a golf ball !!!!! Bazooka !! I hit a kids bike ( with him on it) And it completely broke the back wheel,rim tire and spokes.kinda glad I missed him............After laughing his butt off, my dad almost beat me to death.He indicated the genius of physics could be put to use in a more productive way......???????

badbullgator
04-06-2009, 03:00 PM
[quote=gsc;424337]I remember in Jr. High we used to have dirt ball fights. Yes, some of them had rocks in them.:D:D:D It was all fun and games until one got thrown through the school door and nailed a kid in the head. Trip to the Principal's office.

[quote]

:D
I did that in 5th grade. I was throwing rocks at the PE rooms door and I guess one of the teachers decided to come out and see what was what. I hit hin right between the eys. No need to wait around I RAN to the principals office.......

Matt McKenzie
04-06-2009, 05:00 PM

FWIW, smokeless powder and black powder behave very differently when ignited while not enclosed in a container. If enclosed when ignited, they behave very similarly. That doesn't necessarily lend credence to the story, but just I needed to pick that nit.