PDA

View Full Version : Somali pirates hijack US flagged ship with US citizens aboard

Bob Gutermuth
04-08-2009, 10:34 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513183,00.html

What will the eunuch in chief do about this? NOTHING

badbullgator
04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Bob you should know better. Obummer will call the pirates and apologize to them for the US being a bad country and ultimately forcing them into piracy. He will tell them he understands that we are bad and that our treatment of the native Americans and blacks during slavery was what led these poor people or turn to pirating ships. I see a special bailout/pirate stimulus bill being pushed through to allow these poor folks to recover from all the strife we as a nation have caused them and the rest of the world.

Me I would send a Seal UDT team and end the standoff. Not good for the ship or those aboard but I bet they would not try another US flagged ship

Goose
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Maybe he'll perform another Presidential bow to the pirates.

badbullgator
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Latest report says the crew has retaken the ship and one pirate is being held by the crew. Three others are "in the water". The report, on Yahoo, did not know what "in the water" meant. I hop eit means they tossed their asses over. It may be a sterotype but I have a feeling the Somali's are not very good swimmers

dback
04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
It may be a sterotype but I have a feeling the Somali's are not very good swimmers

LMAO.....I was hoping a bullet in one ear had caused disorientation but yours is much funnier!!!

Hew
04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
It may be a sterotype but I have a feeling the Somali's are not very good swimmers
LOL.

Along those same lines...if I owned one of those tankers I'd have about a 100 of the meanest, nastiest dogs I could find roaming the decks in plain sight at all times. ;-)

Franco
04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I would love to see a video of what actually happened.

Maybe made them walk the gangplank.;-)

Illinois Bob
04-08-2009, 01:15 PM

I think 300+ miles back to shore would be difficult even for Michael Phelps or Mark Spitz.

badbullgator
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I would love to see a video of what actually happened.

Maybe made them walk the gangplank.;-)

Well news reports say it was a ship that “sometimes” works for the DOD and that they were unarmed………. Ok sure always stick with your story….

Sounds like a few of them did “walk the gangplank” so to speak

twall
04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Update: It sounds like the captain is still being held hostage.

I'm guessing the somalian pirate community has not gotten the news yet that we are a kinder and friendlier, weaker, nation now. I'm guessing once our ambassador to the UN gets the N. Koreans lined up she will straighten out the somalian pirates. I'm sure they are "enlightened" and will respect our female liberal diplomats more than the male conservative Ambassador Bolton!

Tom

Bob Gutermuth
04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
At least the hostages didn't have to wait for the Eunuch in chief to get his thumbs out.

Franco
04-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I just read an update. The reference to them being on the water is that the pirates have taken the captain of the ship hostage and are escaping with him so as to demand ransome.

Goose
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Pirates have been doing this successfully for such a long time I wonder why these shipping companies haven't figured out a way to keep them off such a large ship. A ship security detail cost the company money which is probably why they don't take this approach but you'd think something could be done.

How about some motion-triggered claymores around the hull.

Last Frontier Labs
04-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I guess what shocked me the most about the whole ordeal was that the freighter had no weapons aboard. They know they are going into pirate infested waters. Carry some guns and when the pirates board, shoot them.
I would be willing to be the pirating problem would go down.

dixidawg
04-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Mass Maritime grads in the middle of the whole thing:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/19126517/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_break&ts=T&tmi=bos_break_1_10370104082009

And they are working on getting the future crews proficient with firearms:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/19004847/detail.html

Julie R.
04-08-2009, 07:12 PM
The ship the Somali pirates tried to hijack was full of containers of food and supplies for the poor and starving in Afreaka!! So since they were thwarted in their thieving attempt, they're now holding the captain hostage for ransom money. At least it sounds like a few of them were thrown overboard for shark bait.
Screw international law, I say sic some duck hunters on them!

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/MouseOnAFeedsack/th_Chaingun.gifhttp://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/MouseOnAFeedsack/th_pirate.gifhttp://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/MouseOnAFeedsack/th_pirate.gifhttp://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/MouseOnAFeedsack/th_pirate.gifhttp://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/MouseOnAFeedsack/th_pirate.gif

Crews on most ocean going vessels aren't allowed to carry guns, I suppose for fear of mutiny at sea, and most countries refuse to admit armed ships in their ports. They also aren't allowed to fire on other ships on the high seas unless they are attacked first according to international law. So even though the U.S. never ratified the U.N. Law of the Sea treaty, we agreed to abide by the codification of international law. Although I don't know why when they see a little speedboat full of Somalis they can't just sink it and use the ole S-S-S.

This is the first U.S. ship that has been pirated in 200 years. I'm wondering if our feckless leader is the reason this one was attacked, and betting we can expect to see more in the future.

I can just imagine the Somalis licking their chops in glee.
"Avast, ye mateys! Dere goes a U.S. ship, how about we steal it and become heros, brother Obomo kiss our feet and gibs us more money!"

"Yo Hillary baby, we finna pay Clinton foundation summa dis ransom to represent us so we be movie stars in your country!"
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2008/11/18/1227027565167/Gallery-Somali-pirates-Pi-001.jpg

Bob Gutermuth
04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Time to do what we did against the Barbary Pirates 200 yrs ago;SEND IN THE MARINES.

badbullgator
04-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Julie

While most carriers do not carry weapons, some of the supercargo carriers and “high value” ships do hire guns. My nephew spent three years as Navy security in Bahrain. His job was boarding and searching suspicious ships. This was immediately after the Iraq invasion. He said that lots of foreign ships carried “security crews” that were made up primarily of former Russian and Russian block special forces guys. Basically these guys are mercenaries and some of the worlds real bad asses. He said that even though boarding every ship got them on edge, boarding those who had “security” on board scared the crap out of them. He said there was no doubt these guys would kill you for looking at them wrong. Interesting that there has not been an incident involving a ship with “security” but then again maybe the pirates know which ships carry them and steer clear of them OR there has been some “action” that nobody knows about (what goes on on the high seas….)
I am thinking we might get to se a little SEAL action in this case. I would think snipers like France used to take out a few pirates a while back, but from what I understand the lifeboat is a covered boat so snipers may not be a viable option. I do not really see a way out for this bunch. They are dead in the water about 300 miles from the coast in a 28 foot boat. My only hope Is that the captain gets out unharmed.
Interesting watching some interviews and how may shipping guys have said there is no way, even with an armed crew, that this could have been avoided. Sorry but I have to believe that a good security force would in fact be able to detect a small boat coming across smooth seas in a full moon. I also find it interesting that so many of these ships are out there carrying many, many millions of dollars of good and are virtually unprotected. Hell even wally world has security……

BrianW
04-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Imo, this is just a preview of coming attractions, or perhaps a sequel of the Carter Administration, when a kinder, gentler, less arrogant, Obama-ized America issues statements like "We are deeply concerned and we are following it very closely. ... Clinton said at the State Department. "More generally we think the world must come together and end the scourge of piracy." instead of issuing something like the following:

"As the President of the United States, I would like to make this perfectly clear, that the United States views this terrorism as an act of war upon our country's interests, NOT as an international crime. Therefore, in accordance with the powers vested and authorized by the US Constitution, I have authorized immediate Special Forces operations to act to protect US citizens and interests and to use all force deemed necessary by the on site commander to bring this situation to a swift and decisive resolution."
"It has been reported that for young Somalis, piracy offers a life of adventure and money; This perception has been allowed to exist unchallenged for far too long. This is not a movie and it will NOT have a happy ending. At sea, they are armed with automatic weapons, rockets and grenades. Because of this, these maritime terrorists will be confronted with overwhelming deadly force WHEREVER they are encountered."
"On land, they are a cross between a town official and a gangster rapper — with grand houses, luxury cars and beautiful wives.Piracy is a lucrative business in Somalia, a country with no central government, no banks and few merit-based opportunities because of an entrenched clan system.For Somali men such as those who hijacked this American cargo ship, banditry at sea offers power and potential prosperity in a land so bleak that life expectancy is just 46 years and a quarter of children die before they reach 5. And so we do call upon the rest of the world, the UN & the OAU to stop the debates and passing of useless resolutions, and act in Somalia. But in the meantime, we will take care of our own. This is not arrogance, this is a commitment and the United States of America will apologize to no one for doing so.
Thank you and I will NOT be taking questions!"

Julie R.
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Julie

While most carriers do not carry weapons, some of the supercargo carriers and “high value” ships do hire guns. ...Interesting that there has not been an incident involving a ship with “security” but then again maybe the pirates know which ships carry them and steer clear of them OR there has been some “action” that nobody knows about (what goes on on the high seas….)

Right now according to international law you can't do anything to them unless they attack first. Several have been caught and just pitched their guns and RPGs overboard, you know, just like an episode of Cops. "I din do NUFFIN! We wuz just out here fishing." Heck the Somali pirates even call themselves the Somali Coast Guard and blame the West. They claim they had to turn to piracy because Western nations overfished their waters and polluted their coast. (yeah right...)

But you have to wonder why when there's a sighting of a small fishing boat in a shipping lane with armed Somalis, the crews don't utilize the three S only in this case it would be shoot, sink and shut up....Somali Rockfish ;-) although I understand companies just build in the hijacking as the cost of doing business.

I am thinking we might get to se a little SEAL action in this case. I would think snipers like France used to take out a few pirates a while back, but from what I understand the lifeboat is a covered boat so snipers may not be a viable option. I do not really see a way out for this bunch. They are dead in the water about 300 miles from the coast in a 28 foot boat. My only hope Is that the captain gets out unharmed.

it was the Danish navy that fired on one attacking a French ship. And the Indian navy sank a trawler that was a pirate mothership. But my favorite story is the Chinese crew that successfully defended itself from the pirates. They used empty liquor bottles and made homemade grenades and Molotov cocktails and lobbed them at the Somalis, who had to run for cover and cut up their BARE feet (what kind of gangster goes barefoot??!!?) and eventually abandoned their hijacking attempt. I believe shortly afterward the Chinese, who've never had a real Navy, decided to send some ships over to the Gulf of Aden for some target practice.

Freight vessels are mainly unarmed. I'm not sure what they have to do to have an armed security detail. Most of their anti piracy devices are stuff like high pressure water hoses to knock them off--most of the pirates gain access by steering their boats next to the ships and using grappling hooks to climb aboard. They also have amplified sound that supposedly deters them.

Raymond Little
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Dead men tell no Tales, cut an arm off of each one of them and send them back home. Kind of hard to climb on to a ship with one arm isn't it?
Should not be long before you either have a bunch of one armed gangstas or a trembling populace afraid to Jack another boat.;)
Yes, I know it would be curel and breed more terrorists but life is tough but tougher if you F WITH THE U.S.A.!

Perfect World Regards

Raymond

Eric Johnson
04-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I suspect that the USS Bainbridge embarked a SEAL team while they were enroute. The folks will talk maybe a day or two and then when it gets dark, the team will go for a swim.

Eric

badbullgator
04-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I suspect that the USS Bainbridge embarked a SEAL team while they were enroute. The folks will talk maybe a day or two and then when it gets dark, the team will go for a swim.

Eric

I would lay money on there being a SEAL team on baord.
THe POS...er ummm the POTUS declined comment on the pirates at a news conferance today telling the reporter "we are talking about housing here" instead :rolleyes: Thank God Jimmy Carter is back in command

Julie R.
04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Now Corey, come on; you know this is really all our fault. I just put this on the main page but if you want to be truly DISGUSTED read this liberal cow manure about how we shouldn't be trying to punish them when we are the real criminals.

Just look at the little picture of this schizoid Eurotrash reporter and imagine him dropped off in Mogadishu for a month or two.....
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/you-are-being-lied-to-abo_b_155147.html

Did we expect starving Somalians to stand passively on their beaches, paddling in our nuclear waste, and watch us snatch their fish to eat in restaurants in London and Paris and Rome? We didn't act on those crimes - but when some of the fishermen responded by disrupting the transit-corridor for 20 percent of the world's oil supply, we begin to shriek about "evil." If we really want to deal with piracy, we need to stop its root cause - our crimes - before we send in the gun-boats to root out Somalia's criminals.

badbullgator
04-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Hell Julie that is what the folks that dirk the obummer kool aid want, one world were we are all equal no matter how little we try. They already know we are the bad guys and always have been. What have we ever done that was good for mankind http://floridasportsman.com/art/rolleyes.gif (http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/post?cmd=reply&id=10540529#)

Bob Gutermuth
04-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Under international law the countries involved can treat pirates as' enemies of mankind'. What needs to be done is to arrest a few of these jackals and keel haul them before we make them walk the plank. Then recover the corpses and send them back to their counrty of origin with a video.

http://www.answers.com/topic/hostis-humani-generis-1

BrianW
04-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Fwiw, Merriam-Webster defines piracy as 1: an act of robbery on the high seas.

Kidnapping, extortion and murder exceed that by just a bit don't you think?

This namby-pamby "man caused diasters" crap and "overseas contingencies" garbage are are like engraved invitations to "war-like act committed by a nonstate actor" (as Wikipdia puts it).

If this country is going to survive the next 4 years, it's going to take Divine intervention.

Franco
04-10-2009, 11:57 AM
So far, the reaction by modern Democrats has been less than inspiring. Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry has threatened to hold hearings! That should strike fear into the hearts of the pirates. What will the Obama administration do if the pirates are captured alive? He won’t sent them to Gitmo, which he is closing down. Will they get ACLU lawyers? Will there be testimony from a “pirates rights” group? Will they be released on a technicality after a trial in U.S. courts? If there is not as forceful a response as there was during the Jefferson administration, it will invite more of these incidents. The world’s tyrants are watching to see how President Obama reacts. The message they get will determine how they respond to America and whether we will be in greater peril.

OK, that's enough from me today. The La. Dept of Agriculture estimates that over 3 million pounds of crawfish will be consumed this weekend in Looisiana and I plan on eating my fair share!;-)

Bob Gutermuth
04-10-2009, 01:00 PM
According to Fox those scumbags are demanding $2 million in ransom for the captain of the ship.

Eric Johnson
04-10-2009, 04:36 PM
This is turning into a real furball. In addition to a Aegis destroyer and a Perry class frigate, there is an amphibious assault ship enroute (don't know if the Marines are embarked but I would guess so). That is an immense force but they are stymied for now it would seem and the bad guys are bringing more hostages and ships.

Eric
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - The American captain held hostage by four Somali pirates made a desperate escape attempt Friday but was recaptured after they fired shots, and officials said other pirates sought to reinforce their colleagues by sailing hijacked ships with other captives aboard to the scene of the standoff. A Somali in contact with a pirate leader said the captors want a ransom and are ready to kill the hostage, Capt. Richard Phillips, if attacked.

The U.S. was bolstering its force by dispatching other warships to the site off the Horn of Africa, where a U.S. destroyer shadowed the drifting lifeboat carrying Phillips. He was taken hostage in the pirates' failed effort to hijack the cargo ship Maersk Alabama on Wednesday.

Bob Gutermuth
04-10-2009, 04:58 PM
The fact that several countries paid ransom in past hijackings has just encouraged these brigands. I hope they get paid off in lead this time.

Terry Britton
04-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Solution for the Piracy problem:

1) Get permission to man and mount 50 caliber guns on the ships sailing in the trouble waters.

2) Open a high seas adventure company where people pay $50K for the adventure and possibility to fight off pirates.

3) Have the clients man the guns for their two week adventure.

Richard Fuquay
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
The fact that several countries paid ransom in past hijackings has just encouraged these brigands. I hope they get paid off in lead this time.

And they were. Seems Obama has bigger nads than we thought.

badbullgator
04-13-2009, 05:38 AM
And they were. Seems Obama has bigger nads than we thought.

Doubt that, what else was he to do? Anyone could have/would have made the same call

Goose
04-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Agreed. Obama gets no credit for this. He probably thinks Navy SEALS are a bunch of trained fish.

All the credit and glory to the Navy! Job well done.

badbullgator
04-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Gotta love these dumbasses

"From now on, if we capture foreign ships and their respective countries try to attack us, we will kill them (the hostages)," Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old pirate, told the Associated Press from one of Somalia's piracy hubs, Eyl. "(U.S. forces have) become our No. 1 enemy."

Hummmmmm....let call out the US millitary that sounds like a good idea since they just took three shots and killed three bad guys. Keep in mind the bad guys calling them out couldn't even take an UNARMED crew to begin with.

Ok so now you say you are just going to kill the hostages. How long do you suppose they would have lasted if that is what they did???? Holding a hostage got them a few more days in their crappy lives before they lost their heads

I predict Jamac Habeb makes it to the ripe old age of 30.5....
just saying

BrianW
04-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I, for one, am willing to give the President some credit for allowing the use of deadly force to rescue Capt. Phillips. At least this did not deteriorate into a "Tehran-style" hostage situation where SpecOps forces would have to try and get this guy out in a land operation for a possible repeat of Mogadishu .
But, I would be very curious to know how many times that requests for authorization were turned down first in favor of negotiations with the terrorists. Jmtc, but it never should have been allowed to get this far in the first place. Thank God, that if this incident did have to occur, that it happened now while our forces still have funds for the manpower, arms & training. How many of the teams are going to end up cut or not have the equipment to train with in the upcoming budgets? What happens when ships like the Bainbridge are going to be forced to sit in port like so many cops at a donut shop and take even longer to get on the scene?

Now, the Administration has placed itself in a no-win situation though. The maritime terrorists are vowing retaliation against American interests and state they willl kill the hostages from now on. Al-Quaida, (if they aren't already) will be more than happy to support 'noble warriors against the Great Satan' and the "marine-jahadin" will most likely get better weapons. The Navy vessels that will be kept in the area "for now"will be at an increased risk of a USS Cole type attack.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the former 'War on Terror"as they are forced to acknowledge that "Conflict Resolution 101" does not work with people that hate & despise you. They also have to know that when this wounded Somali goes to whatever 'court" ends up getting jurisdiction, that some "trans-nationalist: lawyer is going to make this into a circus sideshow regarding the issues of "self defense of national waters by the Somali "Coast Guard", & of the over fishing and nuclear waste dumping" that Julie R. referenced in her link from another post. In the end though, I imagine that the Somali's will end getting an Obama aplogy too and I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some kind of bailout for them in the guise of "more must be done to prevent future attacks"!

Also what message does 4 terrorists w/ AK's in a lifeboat having the ability of holding off the "world's only superpower" send to the Chinese, Russians, the Indians, Iranians, North Koreans etc., folks with real weapons and tactics? Achmedinajad's sides have to be hurting from laughing so hard.

And, finally, what message does Obama really send to the American people with his praise for the captain's actions? According to AP "As the pirates clambered aboard and shot in the air, Phillips told his crew to lock themselves in a cabin and surrendered himself to safeguard his men. "
The message I read is "Don't fight back, run & hide as the person in charge gives up and waits for law enforcement."
Is that what you intend to do to protect your loved ones if someone breaks into your home?

Last Frontier Labs
04-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Jim and I burst out laughing this morning while having our morning coffee. A news reporter asked a navy spokesman how many shots were fired when the Seals won Phillips freedom. The spokesman answered 3 and felt the need to add "they are highly trained". Bwahaha. That has to be the understatement of the year. Probably only 1 of 500 ways those Seals could have taken out those pirates.

Henry V
04-13-2009, 10:55 AM

Bob, Did yesterday's events change your self-answered response to the question which started this thread?

Goose
04-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Were the pirates really being towed by a Navy vessel? I read the shot taken by the SEALS was less than 100 feet...boat to boat!

Love that .50 cal the SEAL snipers use. What a gun! Doubt they used it on these pirates, though.

road kill
04-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Doubt that, what else was he to do? Anyone could have/would have made the same call

My understanding is Obama did this all by himself and is the TRUE hero!!

In fact, the movie is being set up as we speak, Will Smith of course playing the heroic President Obama in this nail biting thriller!!:shock:

Bob Gutermuth
04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I wish they could have been taken into custody and keel hauled!

Gerry Clinchy
04-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Were the pirates really being towed by a Navy vessel? I read the shot taken by the SEALS was less than 100 feet...boat to boat!

One of the articles indicated that the lifeboat was out of fuel, and it was drifting toward the Somali coast, so the pirates accepted a tow from the Bainbridge. Smart guys, these pirates? The article said that at first it was a 200-foot line, but due to either heavy seas or purposely during the night, the line was reduced to 100 feet.

They were also low on food, so the one pirate surrendered when they were getting some food from the Bainbridge. He had an injured hand and was looking to get medical aid for that. That's how he ended up in custody & not dead.

Other articles did point out how this "Coast Guard" got started ... hunger, poverty and lack of any kind of government to speak of. Large fishing interests of some countries did exacerbate the situation as the local fisherman with old-fashioned equipment were losing out to the more sophisticated fishing boats.

While this is not justification for the turn to crime, it helps one understand how the situation developed. It's unlikely that the piracy will let up until there is a more constructive way for these guys to earn a living. There's no question that since this line of work has proven pretty rewarding, it's not going to be easy to convince them they need to find other ways of supporting their families. It might be harder for the crime gangs to recruit, though, if the mortality rate continues to go up for their crews.

The article also indicated that the pirates themselves get about 30% of the ransoms. 20% goes to the crime gangs that bankroll them. 30% (!!!) goes to bribing officials to let them operate. The remaining 20% goes to purchasing their supplies and arms.

Since there is no substantive government to deal with from a diplomatic standpoint, it really does boil down to dealing with a bunch of thugs who are only loosely associated.

Supposedly they treat their hostages fairly well ... if they didn't do so they would risk military retailiation from the countries whose hostages are harmed. That would defeat their profit motive.

Isn't it kind of interesting that the French are one of only 3 countries who played hardball with the pirates?

Terry Britton
04-13-2009, 10:47 PM
The captured pirate actually surrendered before the other three were shot. He was wounded and hungry, and thought his best deal was to surrender for food and care of injuries.

Gerry Clinchy
04-14-2009, 08:20 AM
The captured pirate actually surrendered before the other three were shot. He was wounded and hungry, and thought his best deal was to surrender for food and care of injuries.

Seems like he was the smartest of the four. Perhaps he some information to help "us" (meaning those collectively subject to the piracy) figure out a more permanent solution to the piracy problem?

An up side to this could be that just maybe those countries who have ships and hostages held by the pirates (or those who fear they may be the next victims) would actually work together constructively toward a common goal.

Hew
04-14-2009, 08:45 AM
My tinfoil hat (more like Serranwrap) theory:

The SEALs didn't shoot those guys from the fantail of that destroyer. In the seas described it would be hard to shoot yourself in the head, much less to shoot from one bobbing boat to a different bobbing boat. Also, at least one of the shots was reportedly made through the lifeboat's portal. That clear portal was designed to withstand incredible ocean forces and was probably some super-thick plexiglass or lexan. I'm not doubting that a .223, .308 or .50 would penetrate it, but that given the thickness of it and the chances of deflection, etc. that was a dang tricky shot to take.

I'm thinking that the SEALs swam underwater to the lifeboat and waited for the right time. I'm sure they had already placed listening devices in/on the boat...slipped in w/ food/water packages or something attached/drilled through the hull. They'd know when the Somalis were sleeping, arguing, not alert, ect. They bided their time and then slipped over the side and took out the Somalis in a flash.

How often have you heard stories about how the SEALs accomplish missions? Rarely. Why would we want to tell future hostage takers how we took out their homies? We wouldn't, unless we weren't telling the truth. I think we're just reinforcing what most people probably presumed a rescue operation would look like, and at the same time making a repeat rescue using the same techniques more possible. Sorry for the kookery, but that's what I think and I'm stickin' to it. ;-)

BrianW
04-14-2009, 09:18 AM

Sounds like a PERFECT candidate to come to the US, be an Obama poster child. :rolleyes:
He's ALREADY getting free food & medical care from our government w/o paying any taxes, next step is food stamps & Medicaid! :mad:

badbullgator
04-14-2009, 10:11 AM
My tinfoil hat (more like Serranwrap) theory:

The SEALs didn't shoot those guys from the fantail of that destroyer. In the seas described it would be hard to shoot yourself in the head, much less to shoot from one bobbing boat to a different bobbing boat. Also, at least one of the shots was reportedly made through the lifeboat's portal. That clear portal was designed to withstand incredible ocean forces and was probably some super-thick plexiglass or lexan. I'm not doubting that a .223, .308 or .50 would penetrate it, but that given the thickness of it and the chances of deflection, etc. that was a dang tricky shot to take.

I'm thinking that the SEALs swam underwater to the lifeboat and waited for the right time. I'm sure they had already placed listening devices in/on the boat...slipped in w/ food/water packages or something attached/drilled through the hull. They'd know when the Somalis were sleeping, arguing, not alert, ect. They bided their time and then slipped over the side and took out the Somalis in a flash.

How often have you heard stories about how the SEALs accomplish missions? Rarely. Why would we want to tell future hostage takers how we took out their homies? We wouldn't, unless we weren't telling the truth. I think we're just reinforcing what most people probably presumed a rescue operation would look like, and at the same time making a repeat rescue using the same techniques more possible. Sorry for the kookery, but that's what I think and I'm stickin' to it. ;-)

Maybe so, but after watching Americas Best Sniper (os some title similar to that) on discovery I am not so sure they didn't make the shots as it has been reported. These guys on the show were shooting people from hundreds of yards away from choppers, boats, swinging bridges, through windows and even through cement block walls.....:snipersmile:
I am going to have to guess if they can take your head off at 500 yards through a block wall they could probaly hit three guys in a boat 150 feet away and the windows on the boat would not seem to be as much of a problem as a block wall. The report I saw also said two of them "popped" their heads out of a hatch and were shot at that point and only one was shot through a window.
We will never know what actually happened and we really don;t need to know the details, all we know is three dirtbags are no longer stealing the air we breath

BrianW
04-14-2009, 10:11 AM
[

While this is not justification for the turn to crime, it helps one understand how the situation developed. It's unlikely that the piracy will let up until there is a more constructive way for these guys to earn a living. ...It might be harder for the crime gangs to recruit, though, if the mortality rate continues to go up for their crews.

Ya think? Drop some flyers over the ports saying that any Somali vessel approaching commercial vessels will be destroyed. Put a couple of Stinger missiles & some Marines on a few ships and then do it a few times. Be kinds like the bumper stickers/signs "Guarded by shotgun & pit bull 3 nights a week. You guess which 3!!"

The article also indicated that the pirates themselves get about 30% of the ransoms. 20% goes to the crime gangs that bankroll them. 30% (!!!) goes to bribing officials to let them operate. The remaining 20% goes to purchasing their supplies and arms.What, do you mean they're NOT paying taxes? And ONLY 30% in bribes? :eek: No wonder Obama authorized the op. Those Somali's are just lucky that he didn't send Tim Geitner, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Andrew Cuomo, & Richard Blumenthal over there. Now THAT would be a hit squad!

it really does boil down to dealing with a bunch of thugs who are only loosely associated. Now are you still talking about the marine terrorists or about Congress ?

Supposedly they treat their hostages fairly well :confused:... if they didn't do so they would risk military retailiation from the countries whose hostages are harmed. That would defeat their profit motive. Let's see the last number I heard, at least 23 people have been murdered by these terrorists. I don't consider that "fairly well"!

Isnt it kind of interesting that the French are one of only 3 countries who played hardball with the pirates? Not really. Don't mess w/ the French when it comes down to food, alcohol & sex. The Somali's are messing with their supply of bouillabaisse at the very least! Sacre bleu!

shootncast
04-14-2009, 12:18 PM

How about send in the Seals and put one between each of thier eyes.

Gerry Clinchy
04-14-2009, 01:23 PM
BrianW

Quote:
it really does boil down to dealing with a bunch of thugs who are only loosely associated.
Now are you still talking about the marine terrorists or about Congress ?

Where is Julie's "post of the day" avatar when you need it?!! :-) :-)

Hew
04-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Maybe so, but after watching Americas Best Sniper (os some title similar to that) on discovery I am not so sure they didn't make the shots as it has been reported. These guys on the show were shooting people from hundreds of yards away from choppers, boats, swinging bridges, through windows and even through cement block walls.....:snipersmile:
That show is what got me to thinking that maybe they didn't shoot them from the destroyer. The show/episode I watched, they couldn't hit sh!t from the helicopter. I would think a boat to boat shot would be even tougher. I'm not so much saying that they couldn't make that shot (X 3), but doubting that they'd risk trying that when from what I've read about their capabilities, it would be child's play (for them) to sneak onto the boat and cap 3 dead-tired numbnuts before they knew what hit 'em.

badbullgator
04-14-2009, 02:00 PM
That show is what got me to thinking that maybe they didn't shoot them from the destroyer. The show/episode I watched, they couldn't hit sh!t from the helicopter. I would think a boat to boat shot would be even tougher. I'm not so much saying that they couldn't make that shot (X 3), but doubting that they'd risk trying that when from what I've read about their capabilities, it would be child's play (for them) to sneak onto the boat and cap 3 dead-tired numbnuts before they knew what hit 'em.

Yeah but were you watching the one with LEO's or the millitary guys. The cops coupldn;t hit anything, the OPS took out everything;-)