PDA

View Full Version : Finally they did it....

Bklk
04-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Twenty minutes ago NAVY SEALS freed the ship's Captain off Somalia. They killed three pirates and wounded one.

Bob Gutermuth
04-12-2009, 02:23 PM
GO NAVY!! shame the world didn't react to these situations in a like manner sooner.

road kill
04-12-2009, 02:30 PM
GO NAVY!! shame the world didn't react to these situations in a like manner sooner.

Leadership is a lonely occupation!!

Those men are heros.

I truly wonder who sent them?

Bklk
04-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Leadership is a lonely occupation!!

Those men are heros.

I truly wonder who sent them?

It had to come from the President, he must of been shamed into it.

DSO
04-12-2009, 06:29 PM
No Obama fan but you can bet he gave the go ahead.

Credit where credit is due regards,

Danny

road kill
04-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Obama twice approved force to rescue hostage

Apr 12 03:11 PM US/Eastern
By JENNIFER LOVEN and PHILIP ELLIOTT

U.S. Captain Freed, 3 Pirates Killed, 1 Captured in Swift Firefight Off African Coast

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama twice authorized the military to rescue a U.S. captain held by Somali pirates and whose life appeared to be at risk.
Officials say Obama gave the OK on Friday and Saturday to rescue Capt. Richard Phillips from a lifeboat off the Somali coast. Officials say both times the Pentagon believed Phillips' life was at risk.

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

Administration officials say Obama was told Sunday of the rescue while he was in the White House residence. Officials also say Obama has phoned Phillips and Phillips' family.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP)—Administration officials say President Barack Obama approved the military operation that rescued a U.S. captain held hostage by Somali pirates.

The officials say Obama ordered the Defense Department to use military resources to rescue Richard Phillips from a lifeboat off the Somali coast.

The officials discussed this information on the condition of anonymity because they were not yet authorized to disclose the president's decision-making process.

Obama praised the captain for his bravery and courage. The president also said the United States needs help from other countries to deal with the threat of piracy and to hold pirates accountable.

__________________________________________________ ____________
From Drudge!!

Nice job President Obama!!

Steve Amrein
04-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Obama is a war monger. He is a force to be reckoned with. Just imagine all the polling it took. Just imagine the chance of failure in sending the US Navy against a john boat full of musket wielding pirates.

To think I thought he was going to get tough and send Hillary down their and yell at them.

J Hoggatt
04-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Don't worry folks ---

Our commander and chief (not capitalized on purpose) will apologize and then tell the world that we acted with arrogance.

Seriously:

Go Military - Go Navy Seals -- you make the citizens of this great country proud.

Gerry Clinchy
04-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Latest radio report I heard seems to indicate snipers took out the pirates.

Perhaps the courage of these men will send a message to other merchant mariners that they don't have to "roll over". OTOH, I'm not so sure that the pirates will go for the one hostage scenario again.

I do wonder that the other pirate ships that were supposed to show up there to give support to their comrades thought better of it. As someone mentioned, they are not fanatics, just "businessmen". Wouldn't do them much good to put their hostages and ships of goods in harm's way if it was going to cost them the millions in ransoms they were expecting to get for the other ships. Easier (and more profitable) for them to give up 4 of their own men & be done with the standoff.

Julie R.
04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
I heard the good news on talk radio driving home from our hunt test. The first report said the Navy Seals sneaked up on the rubber boat and garrotted the pirates. I hope it's true and they just hushed it up, but whether it was a slit throat or a bullet, good riddance. Three of four SomaliThugs made good :mrgreen: is good news indeed!