PDA

View Full Version : iraq's Yellowcake

Richard Halstead
04-26-2009, 08:38 PM
http://www.nysun.com/editorials/iraqs-yellowcake/81328/

550 metric tons of yellowcake uranium worth tens of millions of dollars were shipped out of Iraq to Canada. The material was transported in 37 military flights in 3,500 secure barrels, according to the Associated Press.
this is going around the internet if you just check the names it seems believable.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/yellowcake.asp

Snopes says it's false.

road kill
04-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Who checks out Snopes??

just askin'

zeus3925
04-27-2009, 08:58 AM
If it were true, Bush or Cheney would be grinning like schoolboys with frogs in their pockets, offering it as proof that WMD's were being manufactured in Iraq.

Legacy 6
04-27-2009, 09:31 AM
In Minnesota we have identified at least 30 Somali men as missing. A few of those we know have gone back home or to other locations to receive terrorist training.

In Canada, they have 150,000 Pakistani men they don't have any tabs on... Can you tell me where THOSE people are?

I was in Iraq when they found a few thousand barrels of yellow cake. This was out in a farmer's field across MSR Tampa from Baquba. There are thousand's (millions?) of acres we can't search... what does that country have hidden? I don't know... do you?

And Canada, who knows what's going on up there...

BrianW
04-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Just for gits & shiggles, check out Snopes' sources at the bottom of their page;
Time magazine, ABC News, NBC News, the New York Times, MSNBC, NPR, & Science Daily.
I don't know about SD, but the others are renowned for their impartiality towards Bush, in general, & the Iraq War in particular and so MUST be taken as gospel. :rolleyes:

zeus3925
04-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Rich, (Legacy 6)
Were you part of the team that dug up the stuff?

Are the areas you say we can't search--are they off limits to search? If so, why?

Legacy 6
04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Rich, (Legacy 6)
Were you part of the team that dug up the stuff?

No, THOSE lucky souls were from MND-Baghdad. I was a MND-North guy. We worked for those silly Loggies at Balad, and for 1st Cav who had command of MND-North.

badbullgator
04-27-2009, 05:15 PM
I think snopes is off base on ths one. They call it false....hummmm....

Defense Personnel Transport Uranium Ore Out of Iraq

By Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, July 7, 2008 – Defense personnel have completed the transfer of 550 metric tons of Iraqi uranium ore to Canada, Defense officials said here today. The Iraqi government asked the United States to help transfer the yellowcake -- as the ore is known -- from Tuwaitha Nuclear Research Center near Baghdad to its buyer in Canada, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said today.

The military dubbed the movement Operation McCall, and it ended July 5. DoD’s portion of the operation involved the transfer of the ore.

Yellowcake is a uranium ore that can be processed to become nuclear fuel. State and Energy Department personnel also participated in the transfer.

Officials transferred the uranium by convoy from Tuwaitha nuclear research facility to a secure location in Baghdad’s International Zone, Whitman said. The ore was in 110 shipping containers. The shipping containers were placed aboard Air Force C-17 Globemaster III airlifters and taken to an intermediate location. It took 37 sorties to transfer the yellowcake.

At the intermediate location -- which Whitman could not name -- the ore was loaded aboard the SS Gopher State, a Military Sealift Command ship, which took it to Montreal.

“This was material that was discovered when we initially went in to Tuwaitha,” Whitman said. “It was under the control of the United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency since that time.”

Whitman stressed that yellowcake is not of direct use in a nuclear weapon. “It is a commodity that is traded routinely in the global nuclear energy sector,” he said. “It can be used as a feed material for nuclear weapons if a country has access to the necessary fuel technology.”

The cost of the transfer was $70 million, and the government of Iraq will reimburse the United States for a portion of the cost, Whitman said.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=50430

That is right off the DOD website.
Also truthorfiction.com calles it true..... could it be that snopes is full of chit?

blind ambition
04-27-2009, 06:07 PM
In Canada, they have 150,000 Pakistani men they don't have any tabs on... Can you tell me where THOSE people are?

And Canada, who knows what's going on up there...

Sir with respect, you are apparently receiving your information on Canada from the same ignoramus who briefed Ms. Napolitano. We might have a population of 150,000 persons of Pakistani heritage of whom 50% may well be males, however, these folks are registered citizens or immigrants.

As for your last sentence; just come have a visit and find out for yourself, you'll find us pretty civilized.

badbullgator
04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Sir with respect, you are apparently receiving your information on Canada from the same ignoramus who briefed Ms. Napolitano. We might have a population of 150,000 persons of Pakistani heritage of whom 50% may well be males, however, these folks are registered citizens or immigrants.

As for your last sentence; just come have a visit and find out for yourself, you'll find us pretty civilized.

Come on he is right about nobody knowing what is going on up there eh?
:D:D:D
Canada is no worry and someone we can count on....

Now invite me up for some duck season and I will agree with you even more

Legacy 6
04-27-2009, 09:53 PM

I'm not saying that all bad things are going on up there... I'm saying that WE don't hear too much about what your guys' situation IS up there... and yes, the 150,000 was an exaguration, but come on... I refuse to believe that of the thousands of expired "visas" you guys have on the missing Pakistani males are all just citizens and immigrants...

Listen, we have our own problems with expired visas, so don't think I'm preaching to you... I'm jsut saying there is a problem, and we need to get a fix on it, on BOTH sides of the border.

Fair enough?