PDA

View Full Version : Lab rubbed end of his tail raw.

Jeffrey Towler
05-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi

My lab is rubbing the end of his tail raw, really bloody this morning. I have it wrapped in gauze right now. I am thinking of making a shield out of a plastic pill bottle. Does anyone know of a better way to protect the end of his tail, till it heals?I was wondering if they sell a guard that I could buy, or maybe a guard for a broken finger?

I work midnights, and have been training as soon as I get home. Waylon, my lab is so fired up when I get home, he has hurt his tail.

Regards
Jeff

Kristie Wilder
05-19-2009, 05:51 PM
It's called "happy tail" and it's a real pain because it's hard to get bandage or anything else to stay securely on the end of the tail. It's from repeatedly whacking the tail against walls/crate/etc. You can sometimes get a wrap to stay, but you also need it to dry and heal... One of the best remedies is crate time, although it's not much fun for the dog. It usually takes a while to heal completely and can get whacked back open with one good, well-placed tail wag...

-K

Lady Duck Hunter
05-19-2009, 06:07 PM
You also need to make sure it doesn't get infected. We rescued a lab once who's tail was raw about half way up. Took him immediately to a vet. They tried to save it but had to amputate because it had gotten infected to teh bone. He didn't really miss it but he was tall and muscular so he looked like a doberman/lab cross, sort of.

jtfreeman
05-19-2009, 06:37 PM
It's called "happy tail"

-K

funny, sounds like a Disney movie.

Brent McDowell
05-19-2009, 06:40 PM
funny, sounds like a Disney movie.

Or a badly titled xxx movie...

jtfreeman
05-19-2009, 06:55 PM
now that is funny

jeff t.
05-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Here are links to a couple of prior discussions on bleeding tails

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=146595

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21841

Jeffrey Towler
05-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks everybody for the ideas on how to protect Waylon's tail.

Jeff

John Lash
05-19-2009, 08:33 PM
I've never done it but read somewhere about taping the tail to their hind leg to imobilize it.

John Lash

windycanyon
05-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Long long time ago, someone posted on another board about using a plastic hair roller somehow to protect the tail where it's bloody....................... probably has been >10 yrs though so my memory is mighty foggy!!! Anne

1st retriever
05-19-2009, 09:36 PM
I've never done it but read somewhere about taping the tail to their hind leg to imobilize it.

John Lash

If you do that to a cat they will fall over! lol We had a Dalmatian that messed up the end of his tail at the kennel and he was there for about 3 months and it took a good month to heal of off and on bandaging.

ricejumper
05-20-2009, 09:54 AM
When mine had rubbed his raw to the point of being bloody, I used the bitter apple spray to stop him from licking it. It works for some dogs but other will just lick right through it.

Briogirls
05-20-2009, 10:11 AM
I have tried taping with just tape, w/foam and applying new skin and antibiotic cream, yet to no avail, my dog break it open....again and again. It does heal, but they bust it open again eventually. So she now has a calloused and bald tip on her tail. But the tail is now pretty tuff and is not busting open as often. My guess is I will need to dock it when she is older.

Joe Kuczynski
05-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I used to coat one dogs tail with Bluefoot pad toughener and over time it toughened to the point were it seldom bled. A bird dog trainer taught me this as it's pretty common with thier dogs working in thick cover. After a while you'll get real good at bandaging the tail. After it's healed some what I'd use waterproof bandage tape directly on the tail.

Good Luck

kindakinky
05-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Dawn,
That is why God created Ptarmigan tails: they are high enough to not smack walls but are still low enough to use as rudders. PLUS you can more easily see a high-carriage tail in the field:o:o (Only Curly Coated Retriever people will understand what I'm saying.)

Plain old petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or diaper ointment works well. But leaves a grease spot on drywall.... Wrapping the tail can sometimes create bad moist environments or just prolong the misery. Sometimes wrapping works; sometimes not. Hemmorhoid ointment sometimes works to decrease swelling and promote healing. Cracking a vitamin E capsule and rubbing it on the tail tip sometimes works. In a pinch, so does using chap stick or some other chapped lip product. Using the petroleum jelly and/or chap stick means you are using products completely safe for the dog.

Curly people generally decorate with wall paper that already has graphics that look like blood spots.

You need to keep the tail tip soft enough not to split while it calluses over.

Never had to dock a curly's tail in 32 years. If you dock your curly's tail, Dawn, we will accuse you of breeding Dock-a-Doodles.:p:p

J. Marti

I have tried taping with just tape, w/foam and applying new skin and antibiotic cream, yet to no avail, my dog break it open....again and again. It does heal, but they bust it open again eventually. So she now has a calloused and bald tip on her tail. But the tail is now pretty tuff and is not busting open as often. My guess is I will need to dock it when she is older.