PDA

View Full Version : New Product - Puppy Monitor

Windemerelabs
05-30-2009, 05:23 PM
I am in the process of developing a puppy monitor that can be attached to small puppies and generate an alert if the mother lays on the puppie or it stops breathing for any reason. The idea behind the product is to reduce puppy deaths in the first few weeks of life.

Would anyone be interested in this kind of product (or know if there is something similar out there)?

YardleyLabs
05-30-2009, 06:46 PM
I have trouble imagining hooking up 10-12 puppies to a monitor. I've lost one puppy to the mother lying on it (out of about 100). That was a puppy that was failing to thrive anyway and would certainly have died within another 24 hours. Pig rails take care of the rest combined with very close supervision at all times during the first couple of days. I'm not sure how big a problem this is among retriever breeds.

jeff t.
05-30-2009, 06:52 PM
I have trouble imagining hooking up 10-12 puppies to a monitor. I've lost one puppy to the mother lying on it (out of about 100). That was a puppy that was failing to thrive anyway and would certainly have died within another 24 hours. Pig rails take care of the rest combined with very close supervision at all times during the first couple of days. I'm not sure how big a problem this is among retriever breeds.

Also, I think lots of breeders already use intercom baby monitors to listen for the sound of squealing pups in distress.

Windemerelabs
05-31-2009, 02:43 PM
I think the audio baby monitor is a good solution - but the challenge is that someone needs to be listening to it all times. The product that I had in mind would have a small probe (about the size of a quarter) that would be held onto the puppy by a lightweight harness. That way the puppies and mother can move around freely.

Since the entire system would be software driven, it could be configured to take a number of actions when a puppy came under distress, which might include, for example,
1) sending a text message to the breeders cell phone
2) activating a speaker recording, which would get the mother up
3) etc.

This kind of monitor could also ensure that the puppy's heart and breathing rates were normal (which would give a heads up to the breeder if the puppies had some kind of problem - such as pneumonia).

I guess what I am trying to figure out is whether breeders would find value in a device that would let them have more freedom (without having to constantly watch young puppies) and give them added protection over existing solutions (which are often improvised and may not be as effective as a specialized device).

runnindawgz
06-04-2009, 04:39 PM
We use an infra-red camera (with sound) and hook it up to two TV's in in the house ~ living room and bedroom.

I am sure they make more high-tech ones than what we use and I am still very happy and secure knowing that we can keep such a constant eye on the pups.

If you wanted to improve upon this idea a specific camera set-up for whelping boxes would be ideal - 4 units one to cover each corner of the box adjustable to set at various angles that would show up on a 4 way split screen on the TV - also 2 heat sensors with digital read outs that would show for each side of the box and be clearly printed on the monitors.

As I said - something like this may already exists but marketing it correctly to the dog world could be its own product.

also, its tough to tell the pups apart on infrared - if the camera came with some type of puppy marking system that would easily be noticeable day or night that would be AWESOME